Start by marking “Ace:The Very Important Pig” as Want to Read:
Ace:The Very Important Pig

Ace:The Very Important Pig

Farmer Tubbs' amazing pig, Ace of Clubs, eventually winds up on television for his cleverness.
Published August 11th 1990 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Ace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ace

Lisa Bland
Sep 11, 2011 Lisa Bland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a young pig called Ace living on a farm with Farmer Tubbs. Ace gets his name from the birth mark on his left hand side which looks like an ace of clubs.
Ace discovers from very young that he is able to understand the Queens English as well as communicating with the other animals living on the farm. Farmer Tubbs realises that Ace is no ordinary pig and is different from the rest of the animals because he can see that Ace understands him. They become very fond of each other and
Ice Bear
Feb 18, 2011 Ice Bear rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-reads
I read this to my daughter, and she bought me a copy to read to my grandson. It's good to know that reading can pass down the generations.
Josiah
Mar 21, 2011 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, if one is lucky, the elements that mixed together to produce greatness in a genetic ascendant can work the same kind of magic in one's own life. For Ace, great-grandson of the renowned sheep-pig Babe, this is exactly what happens.

Ace, unlike all of his brothers and sisters on the farm where he is raised, can understand human speech right from birth. When Farmer Tubbs absent-mindedly speaks to Ace, the pig listens and is able to comprehend the meaning of his words, and before long Tu
Sylvia
Sep 29, 2015 Sylvia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Ace, seekor babi yang mengerti bahasa manusia. Awalnya Ace mengira semua hewan mengerti ucapan Farmer Tubbs, namun ternyata hanya dia yang mengerti apa yang diucapkan manusia pemilik peternakan itu. Maka Ace mulai berkomunikasi dengan Farmer Tubbs. Jika dia mengorok sekali, itu artinya 'tidak'. Jika dia mengorok dua kali, itu artinya 'iya". Ace pun melatih Farmer Tubbs untuk mengerti apa yang dia inginkan. Termasuk melengkingkan suaranya yang ebrarti dia mau makan. Yup, bukan Farmer yang melatih ...more
Laura Verret
Ace doesn’t want to leave the happy farm with the rest of his siblings. He wants to stay home. So, when Farmer Tubbs asks him if he wants to go to market, Ace replies with a single grunt – that means no. None of the other animals know quite what to think when Ace tells them that he can understand human speech and that he’s developed a yes-and-no system to reply to them, but since Ace is a sweet young pig, they make friends with him. All of them except Megan.

Megan, the Corgi, considers herself to
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Published seven years after The Sheep Pig, it's very much Babe Mark II; the sheep pig even gets a mention as his great-grandfather. Anyone who has seen the movie recognises the scene between Babe--oh, excuse me, Ace--and his mother, where she talks about the market as a sort of day at the seaside.

Ace can understand every word his human owner says; how he picked up the talent is never explained, since we are repeatedly told that none of the other animals recognise more than a word or two. He deci
Laurian
Jul 14, 2013 Laurian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children
After reading the Wind and the Willows Cam (4 years old) and I went to the library to see if the librarian had recommendations for similar chapter books that we could read (a chapter a night). It couldn't be too scary and talking animals seemed to be a hit. This book was the first recommendation. Cam seemed to like it especially when I did silly voices for farmer Tubs. But, when we finished earlier tonight he didn't immediately ask me to read it again like he did for the Wind and the Willows. So ...more
Joy Boyz
Oct 04, 2012 Joy Boyz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We loved it. I could've done without the part about the pig drinking beer, I edited it to cider. Dick King-Smith is proving to be right up there with Roald Dahl with my boys. They love his stories!
Soobie's heartbroken
A dodici anni, Soobie scriveva:
Bellissimo libro. Asso, il settimo dei maialini di un fattore e a questi sembra il più intelligente così non lo manda al mercato e lo tiene. Così Asso rimane alla fattoria, dove incontra Nanny, una pecora. Poi arriva la celebrità.
JennLynn
May 01, 2014 JennLynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-my-books
A very sweet, gentle and beautifully written story about a highly intelligent pig who becomes a cherished member of a farmer's family. Ace's relationships with the resident cat, dog and goat are delightful reading, as is his misadventure at the local pub.
Alex Johnson
I first read this book when I was in elementary school and I loved it. I had not picked it up again until now. Still a charming and engaging read about an extraordinary pig. Ace is smart and loves to watch television...I think I connected with this as a kid and I still do lol.
Jessica
I listened to the audio book and enjoyed it. It's a sort of sequel to "Babe." Ace is a descendant of Babe, but he is special in a different way. My favorite part of the book is the Welsh Corgi, who thinks of herself as royalty because the Queen owns corgis.
Michãel
Jun 16, 2013 Michãel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet book, funny, nice dialogue, reminiscent of Charlotte's Web, but without the drama and scary bits. Had to explain some of the British idioms and the pig does get drunk on beer once and enjoys alcohol later in moderation. ;-)
James Govednik
CuteFun book for ages 6-7 as a read-aloud, ages 7-9 for independent reading. Ace, the pig of the title, is the Great-Grandson of Dick King-Smith's other notable pig, Babe. Even Farmer Hogget gets a mention. And here is where I edited out the swine fluH1N1 joke.
Stargazer
Wouldn't read this at the school because of the beer references, but I enjoyed it almost as much as 'Babe'.
Keiana taisacan
Dec 18, 2010 Keiana taisacan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this crazy book that hasyou on the edge of your seat waiting to see what will happen in his life nd what will happend now that he discouvers his intellegance
Chrisann Justice
I discovered Dick King Smith's books when looking for chapter books to read to Joseph and Alex. We loved every single one we read together!
G. Lawrence
Jun 11, 2016 G. Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witty, funny, silly, strangely touching. My niece has insisted I read her Dick King Smith books, and she's quite right about them! Great reading, even for adults!
Charlotte
Jan 26, 2016 Charlotte rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Obviously I'm not the target audience for this book but I I didn't really enjoy this I found it boring. This is about a pig who can understand English and the adventures he has on the farm.
Kate B
Sep 20, 2014 Kate B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Between Dick King-Smith and the author of Charlotte's web we're at rick of never enjoying a bacon sandwich again.
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Justine Chua
Justine Chua rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Maddy Iveson
Maddy Iveson rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
Ashleigh
Ashleigh rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2015
Aly
Aly rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Ezra
Ezra rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Bhavana
Bhavana rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Myleigh
Myleigh rated it did not like it
May 07, 2014
  • Not That I Care (Friendship Ring, #3)
  • The Adventures of Chatterer the Red Squirrel
  • Tall Tales
  • Freddy the Detective
  • There's an Owl in the Shower
  • Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (The Rescuers, #4)
  • The Black Tower (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #7)
  • R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH
  • The Piggy in the Puddle
  • The Middle of Somewhere
  • Gabriel's Horses
  • Way Down Deep (Way Down Deep, #1)
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...

“A little of what you like does you good. But you can have too much of a good thing.” 4 likes
“Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy and wise if it don't make him wealthy.” 2 likes