Start by marking “Ace:The Very Important Pig” as Want to Read:
Ace:The Very Important Pig

Ace:The Very Important Pig

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Farmer Tubbs' amazing pig, Ace of Clubs, eventually winds up on television for his cleverness.
Published August 11th 1990 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Ace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ace

Lisa Bland
This book is about a young pig called Ace living on a farm with Farmer Tubbs. Ace gets his name from the birth mark on his left hand side which looks like an ace of clubs.
Ace discovers from very young that he is able to understand the Queens English as well as communicating with the other animals living on the farm. Farmer Tubbs realises that Ace is no ordinary pig and is different from the rest of the animals because he can see that Ace understands him. They become very fond of each other and
Ice Bear
I read this to my daughter, and she bought me a copy to read to my grandson. It's good to know that reading can pass down the generations.
Josiah
Sometimes, if one is lucky, the elements that mixed together to produce greatness in a genetic ascendant can work the same kind of magic in one's own life. For Ace, great-grandson of the renowned sheep-pig Babe, this is exactly what happens.

Ace, unlike all of his brothers and sisters on the farm where he is raised, can understand human speech right from birth. When Farmer Tubbs absent-mindedly speaks to Ace, the pig listens and is able to comprehend the meaning of his words, and before long Tu
Ace doesn’t want to leave the happy farm with the rest of his siblings. He wants to stay home. So, when Farmer Tubbs asks him if he wants to go to market, Ace replies with a single grunt – that means no. None of the other animals know quite what to think when Ace tells them that he can understand human speech and that he’s developed a yes-and-no system to reply to them, but since Ace is a sweet young pig, they make friends with him. All of them except Megan.

Megan, the Corgi, considers herself to
JennLynn
A very sweet, gentle and beautifully written story about a highly intelligent pig who becomes a cherished member of a farmer's family. Ace's relationships with the resident cat, dog and goat are delightful reading, as is his misadventure at the local pub.
Chrisann Justice
I discovered Dick King Smith's books when looking for chapter books to read to Joseph and Alex. We loved every single one we read together!
Laurian
After reading the Wind and the Willows Cam (4 years old) and I went to the library to see if the librarian had recommendations for similar chapter books that we could read (a chapter a night). It couldn't be too scary and talking animals seemed to be a hit. This book was the first recommendation. Cam seemed to like it especially when I did silly voices for farmer Tubs. But, when we finished earlier tonight he didn't immediately ask me to read it again like he did for the Wind and the Willows. So ...more
James Govednik
CuteFun book for ages 6-7 as a read-aloud, ages 7-9 for independent reading. Ace, the pig of the title, is the Great-Grandson of Dick King-Smith's other notable pig, Babe. Even Farmer Hogget gets a mention. And here is where I edited out the swine fluH1N1 joke.
Jessica
I listened to the audio book and enjoyed it. It's a sort of sequel to "Babe." Ace is a descendant of Babe, but he is special in a different way. My favorite part of the book is the Welsh Corgi, who thinks of herself as royalty because the Queen owns corgis.
Michãel
Very sweet book, funny, nice dialogue, reminiscent of Charlotte's Web, but without the drama and scary bits. Had to explain some of the British idioms and the pig does get drunk on beer once and enjoys alcohol later in moderation. ;-)
Joy Boyz
We loved it. I could've done without the part about the pig drinking beer, I edited it to cider. Dick King-Smith is proving to be right up there with Roald Dahl with my boys. They love his stories!
Keiana taisacan
i love this crazy book that hasyou on the edge of your seat waiting to see what will happen in his life nd what will happend now that he discouvers his intellegance
Stargazer
Wouldn't read this at the school because of the beer references, but I enjoyed it almost as much as 'Babe'.
Olivia
I like this book because tells u how he helps people and how he is isvery funny.
Matt
Decent childrens book. Nowhere near the level of "Babe" though!
Melissa
Read this with my 3rd grader. We both really enjoyed it.
Julia
I read this for a book report.
Alisa
He WAS and important pig!!
Christina
Zach's 2nd grade
Stephanie J. Seigneur
Stephanie J. Seigneur marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
  • The Adventures of Chatterer the Red Squirrel
  • The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • The Real Thief
  • There's an Owl in the Shower
  • The Middle of Somewhere
  • In the Path of the Storm (Farthing Wood, #6)
  • The Baby-Sitters Remember (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #11)
  • Tall Tales
  • Dead Letter (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #3)
  • Freddy and the Men from Mars
  • Stay!: Keeper's Story
  • The Killer's Tears
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...
Babe: The Gallant Pig The Water Horse A Mouse Called Wolf Martin's Mice The Hodgeheg

“A little of what you like does you good. But you can have too much of a good thing.” 8 likes
“Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy and wise if it don't make him wealthy.” 2 likes