Start by marking “Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)

Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery #5)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  787 ratings  ·  52 reviews

Donut shop owner Suzanne Hart sees customers come and go all day long. But when one of them up-and-disappears, the police start asking questions. It seems Suzanne is the last person to have seen Emily Hargraves, who runs the local newsstand. Suzanne has nothing to report about their encounter. But when Emily doesn’t turn up, no news is bad news…

Suzanne has to admit that

Published August 30th 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Tragic Toppings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tragic Toppings

A Killer Plot by Ellery AdamsGlazed Murder by Jessica BeckA Slice of Murder by Chris CavenderBuried in a Book by Lucy ArlingtonSmoky Mountain Tracks by Donna Ball
North Carolina Mysteries
11th out of 107 books — 7 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderThe Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerMake Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Food on the Cover
383rd out of 635 books — 306 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
Synopsis (from bn.com):

Suzanne has to admit that Emily’s last request was a little odd—a blueberry donut made to order, with chocolate icing, sprinkles,
Jo Anne B
Light, fun, fast read! Love Suzanne. There wasn't as much Grace and barely any George in this one because he was off trying to help Jake solve the case. I did like how Jake was helping Suzanne for once in solving the case. Jessica Beck needs to write these faster because this is the fifth book in the series and I already read the seventh that means only one more new one for me to read. I can't be without these books. They are always good go to ones that I can count on in a pinch. A pleasure to r ...more
Mimi Arcala
I can see how some of the readers of the Donut Shop mysteries have gotten tired of the stories. BUT, I love it, love learning about Suzanne's and Jake's relationship, about Dorothy and Chief's growing and frustratingly slow relationship...and I like how Suzanne noses around in people's business. She's funny. Anyway, this was a great and quick read. I literally woke up in the middle of the night and would pick the book up and read myself back to sleep.
Fmorlan
Suzanne Hart owns a donut shop. She works hard. Her assistant Emma works as hard. She has a friend named Grace. In this volume of donut shop mysteries, Grace and Suzanne have to investigate two missing people. One Emily who runs a convenience store and Tim the handyman in town. George a retired policeman agreedto take tim while the girls looked for the missing Emily. When they found Emily she was with a boyfriend and alive. The two walked home and saw a hanging - turned out to be Tim. Tgey uncov ...more
Luffy Monkey D.
It's these type of books that most reviewers skip writing a review for. There is nothing insightful really to be gleaned from such an offering. I'm a bit mystified about the high ratings on this site, and I feel I'm missing something, or that it's plainly an undeserved score. I think not including Grace and replacing her with the vanilla Jake was a mistake. George was practically useless. They tried to make him useful but he contributed next to nothing. I hope the next book will be more like th ...more
Cindy
I am a fan of light, fun and clean (not too much blood etc.) mystery series aka Cozy Mysteries.

This Cozy Mystery Series by Jessica Beck has it all, I also love mystery series that feature a food theme. This book is a nice, light fun read but yet still had me guessing as to "who done it"! The characters are memorable, a little quirky yet likable. I look forward to reading all the books in this series because I tend to get attached to my cozy mystery characters.

I would recommend this book if you h
Bookadventurer
Kimberly
Once again, another cute mystery.
I've been reading these back to back because I recently discovered this series. I know. I don't know where I've been either.
As I read them one after the other, I'm finding that the mystery is taking a back seat to what's going on with the characters.
The police chief is starting to get nicer. Emma's dating another guy and still doesn't seem closer to going away to college. I sometimes forget Jake is blonde. Etc.
Seriously, Jake doesn't sound like the name for a bl
Tina Sanford
Another awesome book . I love the small town feel.
Jennifer Dyer
Cute cozy mystery series.
Stephanie
This is the fifth book of the Donut Shop Mysteries. It is equally as suspenseful and entertaining as the other books of this series. In addition to mystery/suspense, you get a bit of romance throughout the book as you experience Suzanne's growing relationship with her boyfriend, Jake. Similar to the other books of this series, Tragic Topping also has recipes included for donuts or deserts mentioned/made by Suzanne Hart (the main character)in her donut shop. Very cute and creative idea!
Susan
Suzanne Hart is startled to learn two different people are missing from her small home town. Her friend, retired policeman George, tells her that he thinks one is fine, but the other is in deep trouble. By a coincidence, Suzanne finds one of them is, indeed, fine; the other one is dead when Suzanne and friend Grace discovers a body. Intent on taking care of her donut shop, Suzanne is willing to leave the detection to others--until someone steals her cherished recipe book.
Jeanne Stephens
This is the fifth book in the Jessica Beck Donut Shop Mystery Series. Suzanne investigates a murder for her friend, Emily. Her uncle Tim is found dead hanging from a tree in the city park.

In the midst of getting up early in the wee hours of the morning to make donuts for her shop, Suzanne investigates the murder until it is solved.

You will enjoy this edition to the Donut Shop Mystery Series. Warning: You may crave donuts reading all the delicious sounding recipes.
Gretchen
This is the 5th book in the series about donut shop owner Suzanne Hart from April Springs, N. C.
She and her friend Grace discover a body hanging from a tree in the park, and feel obligated to investigate the murder. Along the way, her recipe book is stolen. Her boyfriend Jake helps out and so does her friend George. The murderer is discovered in a dangerous time for Suzanne. All ends well so that book #6 can be written. It's not rocket science, but it's entertaining.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Donut shop owner, Suzanne enlists her best friends, Grace, and George to help her solve a murder mystery of their mutual friend, Tim. To Suzanne's surprise and delight, Jake, Suzanne's boyfriend joins in.

Meanwhile, Suzanne's Mother is dating the Police Chief, not that Suzanne gets any helpful insider news.

Tim was quite the ladies man and this makes the search for his killer even harder.

Good Recipes and friendly sleuths make this book a easy and enjoyable read.
Kate
Fun, light reading, perfect for the days when I was home sick. There were some inconsistencies in this book (Jake is daring and can get out of line at work, then he's a "play by the rules" guy a few chapters later), but I didn't even care. These books are fun, I love all the donut talk, and I love the little world of April Springs that the author has created. Keep them coming!
Nancy H
In this episode of the Donut Shop Mystery series, Suzanne and her friend Grace discover a body hanging from a tree in the park near Suzanne's house. The two friends decide to look into the case because the body was that of a handyman friend who was loved by the whole town.

The only thing about these books in this series is that they make me want to eat doughnuts!
Rebecca
I felt this one of the better installments in the Suzanne Hart series.. I like the fact they are giving her Mom a bit more story.. without taking away from Suzanne..I enjoyed the choice of suspects this time around especially the fact that Suzanne was NOT included which most often time she is..and was happy to see Jake and Suzanne hmmm spending time together ;)
Amanda
Suzanne Hart is an awesome sleuth, she always finds the truth and she seems to be able to get herself out of almost any trouble she finds herself in.

She and Jake were made for each other, they are a great couple and I cannot wait to read about Suzanne's next adventure and find out how their relationship progresses.
Melodie
This is a series that has definitely gotten better as it has gone along. I didn't care for the first one much at all and wouldn't have read any more, but someone gave me the 2nd one. I read it and it was better so have continued on with the series. This one was actually quite good and very recommendable!
Lindsay
Still enjoying this series, though it gets 3 stars for making my life hell when i want a donut a 11 pm and have to get in my truck drive to tims and get one... I think i should maybe start reading this series in order a bit. Some times its a little confusing. But thats on me. Overall great story!
Christina
Suzanne needs to grow up. Get her own home, maybe then her boyfriend would stay the night with her. I am getting annoyed with the goody two shoes attitude she has. This book she really hit me as better than everyone. Also her butting into her momma's dating situation is annoying too.
Ramona
This was the first book I read in this series. Actually my daughter picked it out for me while we were in B&N. I literally devoured it. It was so good and I cannot wait to try the donut recipes that were included. I will be reading more from this series. :)
Jo
Terrible! Poorly written characters and a barely credible story. Not sure why I finished it (or brought it home from the library in the first place) - the inclusion of the recipes and the donut shop anecdotes in the story are really odd and forced.
Colleen
I really wanted to like this but I just couldn't. The dialogue was horrible. And the worst part - there was a giant flashing neon light saying "Oh, here's the answer to the mystery" in one of the scenes that the heroine totally missed.
Moondance
Suzanne, Grace and George investigate the death of a beloved local handyman. His secrets surprise them all. Jake is around a bit more this go around and the police chief finally goes on a date with Suzanne's mom. Quick easy cozy. 3.5 stars
Nicki
Nice light, undemanding mystery story. As cute as the cover suggests.
I haven't read the others in the series, but it stands alone fine, I had no trouble following it.
Would be interested in reading the others.
Tatana Todd
I picked this up randomly in the library because it contained doughnut recipes! I am almost finished with this book and glad to see that it is a part of a series. I can't wait to find out "who dunnit."
Sandy
I am not sure I want to live in that town. Characters keep getting killed off. No more left on my shelf which may be good. I need a break from the donut shop. Did enjoy and will read more.
  • Crops and Robbers (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #3)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #3)
  • One Dead Cookie (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder (Pizza Lovers, #2)
  • Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
  • False Impressions (Stamping Sisters, #3)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • Drip Dead (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #3)
  • Town in a Wild Moose Chase (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #3)
Jessica Beck is a pseudonym used by
Tim Myers.
Jessica Beck is the penname of an author who has been nominated for the Agatha Award and named an Independent Mystery Booksellers Association national bestseller nearly a dozen times.

Jessica Beck loves donuts, and has the figure to prove it. It's amazing what people can convince themselves is all in the name of research! For each recipe featured in the
More about Jessica Beck...
Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1) Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2) Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3) Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4) Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)