Start by marking “Rachel Spinelli Punched Me in the Face” as Want to Read:
Rachel Spinelli Punched Me in the Face

Rachel Spinelli Punched Me in the Face

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  153 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Zachary's mom just up and disappeared from their home in Copper Lake, Colorado. The good news is that Zachary and his dad are trying to move on, and Falls, Connecticut is just the place for a fresh start. With the help of a new friend, Rachel, and her brother Teddy, Zachary is learning about new beginnings, the power of forgiveness, and the quirky people that make life int ...more
Published August 30th 2011 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Rachel Spinelli Punched Me in the Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel Spinelli Punched Me in the Face

Mrs.Wright
Aug 01, 2014 Mrs.Wright rated it liked it
Some parts of this story were clever and charming - and who could resist the title? (I do prefer the yellow jacket cover on mine to the one pictured here, though.)

Some pros:
The main character's mother leaves the family at the beginning of the book and he's dealing with the hurt of that, as is his father. Although a missing parent is often overdone in literature for this age level, I think the treatment here is natural and handled well.

I believed in the community members. I like the idea of book
Melissa Wehunt
This was actually much better than I expected. I found this story to be charming and easygoing. I can't really say I laughed out loud...but I did chuckle a few times.

Pros-

1. Boy read. Good for boys...good boy narrator that is smart and clever and sweet.

2. Clever, easygoing, charming conversations. This book, like some ya's has a ton of conversation in it. But at least these conversations we're pretty entertaining to read. And to me, they sounded authentic...rather than making me feel like rol
Lisa
Jan 29, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I sincerely enjoyed this well crafted, well rounded novel right from the get go. A cast of inventive characters had me laughing out loud one minute, and pausing to re-read a beautiful moment the next. The bit of wisdom I took from this one? - Life is full of change, so let it flow and see where this magical river takes you.

Another plus - I could hand this book to any of the kids in my life without a breath of hesitation. Thank you for that!
Natalie
Jun 16, 2015 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
Zachary and his dad move to Falls, Connecticut, to start over after Zachary's mom left. Zachary is looking forward to the change.

Life in Falls, Connecticut is very different. First, they live in a house, not a trailer. Everyone knows everyone else. Then there's Rachel Spinelli. Rachel, her dad, and her brother Teddy live across the street. Rachel wants Zachary to know to treat her brother right. Teddy is special, but Zachary doesn't mind spending time with him and being his friend.

Nothing is wha
Lindsey
Jul 04, 2014 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
After his mom walked out on Zachary and his dad to work on a cruise ship and travel the world, Zachary and his dad decide to move to a new place and start over. It isn't long before they meet Rachel Spinelli and her brother Teddy. Together Zachary and Rachel discover a lot about themselves and their families.

Even though this title is humorous (and yes, Rachel Spinelli does punch him in the face) and there are many humorous events that happen in the book, there are still some serious themes to un
Lee Anne
Mar 31, 2015 Lee Anne rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this book!!!
Ms. Yingling
Feb 15, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it

Zachary and his father live in a rusted out trailed in Colorado, but after Zachary's mother runs off to work on a cruise ship, the two decide to move to Connecticut, where Zachary's father gets a job as the local policeman. The Spinellis are new neighbors, and Zachary soon takes to Rachel, even though she is harboring a lot of anger about her developmentally delayed brother Teddy and has a habit of getting into fights. There are many interesting people in town-- Rachel's family runs a diner in t
Adrienne
Jan 21, 2016 Adrienne rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen
had a really hard time finishing this book. First off, Rachel and Zachary are supposed to 14, but they really don't sound like it. I felt like I was reading about a bunch of little kids--and the adults treat them like they're younger. For example, after they've been in town for a few months, Zachary's dad gives him and Teddy a ride, and this is what happens:
"Dad pointed at the glass door that led into the police department on the right. 'I'm going there.' Then he pointed toward a set of old, wo
Claire
This quick read is jam packed with great snippets. Zachary and his dad are alone now- Mom decided to follow her dream to work a cruise ship and took off one morning. Now the men of the Beatrice family must decide what to do.
"What do you want?" I asked my father.
"I want us to be happy." he told me.
"That's all?"
"That would be enough."
......"Happy would be nice," I said, "let's try it."

So the duo are off to Falls, Connecticut. Zachary to high school and Dad as the police officer of the small town.
Usman
Feb 29, 2016 Usman rated it liked it
This is a book that we can all relate to. A 13 year old boy called Zachary has just moved after his mum left him and his dad. Zachary meets this over excited boy who gets in trouble with the law quite often at first Zachary is very annoyed by him but then they find one thing they both like the trumpet and the rest is history.
Steve Shea
Nov 16, 2015 Steve Shea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-lit
This was a delightful, quick, young-at-heart read. Acampora threads the needle between literary merit that adult readers might look for and youthful brevity and directness that appeal to less-mature readers, or people who might like to enjoy a complete story in under a week. Kids who read this may start because it's got a great title, stick with it because they love the characters, and emerge from it piecing together everything they read in more complex ways. At 168 YA-formatted (about 1 1/2 lin ...more
Valerie
Sep 18, 2014 Valerie rated it really liked it
This was a really sweet book. A very quick read. Great characters. This is the 2nd book of Paul Acampora's I've read and I already have the 3rd one checked out to read.
Kkharvey
Jan 03, 2016 Kkharvey rated it liked it
Somewhat enjoyable.
I had higher expectations after reading another book by the author. It lacked the humour that the other one carried, so I was left wanting.
Tara
Dec 26, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
When Zach’s mother decides to leave the family, his father decides to abandon a tired Midwestern life behind and begin again in a small Connecticut town. This is a realistic and heartwarming story of Zach’s transition into this new life. Two new friends make life meaningful for Zach – Rachel Spinelli, protective younger sister, and Teddy Spinelli, a highly functioning developmentally delayed high school trumpeteer. Rachel and Zach at times seem younger than 14, but this youngness would make them ...more
Hilary
"What do you want?" I asked my father.
"I want us to be happy." he told me.
"That's all?"
"That would be enough."
......"Happy would be nice," I said, "let's try it."

But Copper Canyon, Colorado, is a bleak place with unhappy memories. This is the town where Zachary’s mom abandoned her husband and child to pursue her dreams of travel and excitement.

So the two head for Falls, Connecticut, where Zachary enters high school and his Dad becomes the police officer for the small town. Falls is populated wit
Melissa
Apr 18, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a "glossy" approach to big changes like mom leaving and moving across the country, but you take an instant liking to Zachary as well as Rachel and her brother.

"Zachary’s mom just up and disappeared from their home in Copper Lake, Colorado. The good news is that Zachary and his dad are trying to move on, and Falls, Connecticut, is just the place for a fresh start. With the help of a new friend, Rachel, and her brother Teddy, Zachary is learning about new beginnings, the power of forgivene
Kaylie
Oct 07, 2015 Kaylie added it
Kimberly
Oct 09, 2013 Kimberly rated it liked it
Diverse Bodies and Brains Novel - Week 8

This book was decent, in my opinion. It started off very slowly, but did eventually pick up the pace. There was a disconnect between the age the characters were stated to be and how they acted and were treated. It was a good read as it discussed the separation of the parents, mother moving away, father and son moving to a new place, and making new friends of different cultures. Overall, I liked the book but would not recommend this for higher readers in mi
Monique
Apr 06, 2014 Monique rated it liked it
Ok book. Wasn't really something to remember though, and the language and flow of emotions was really weird some times! The second half of the book had a confusing flow of feelings. One minute he's angry at her and in his rant he compliments her.
?? That made me reread why he was angry at her in the first place and that could be understandably, yet it wasn't written very well. Also, that part with the mom, that was a flurry of different emotions that disrupted the reading flow.
Jenn
Nov 14, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it
This book was a bit slow to start, but once it got going I really enjoyed it. The characters were all well developed, and it touched on many issues. How to be a friend and a sibling to someone who is high functioning special needs. How to deal with the death of a parent or being abandoned by a parent. I will definitely be writing a book-talk for this one.
Audrey
Oct 07, 2011 Audrey rated it really liked it
I found an odd disconnect between the stated ages of the main characters (14) and the way they behaved, talked, etc. The main characters seemed a lot younger. Even the cover makes it skew younger than 14. That said, it's a fun, easy read, maybe a good choice for reluctant readers at the upper reaches of the middle-grade years.
KyBunnies
Nov 17, 2011 KyBunnies rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teen Readers
Recommended to KyBunnies by: Goodreads.com
****THIS WAS A GOODREADS.COM FIRST READ CONTEST WIN!****

This is a wonderful book for teenagers. A very nice clean read for the younger people. Well developed characters with a wonderful plot. The book was well written.

****THIS WAS A GOODREADS.COM FIRST READ CONTEST WIN!****
Jul 02, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Another coming of age story. Delightful characters. Loved how the main character moved past his initial fury at his mom walking out on him and his dad. A bit simplified, perhaps, but I like it when kids are shown as resilient go-getters instead of wo-is-me victims. Recommended 11+
Robyne
Feb 04, 2016 Robyne rated it really liked it
This was a surprisingly good book about how Zachary spends his summer coping with being the new kid in a small town and with the breakdown of his family. The character Rachel does not punch him in the face til much later in the story ;)
Jessica Buike
Nov 29, 2011 Jessica Buike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This was a fun little novel that reminded me of the books I loved when I was a pre-teen. It contains a coming of age story with some lovable and believable characters, and touches on some serious themes in a lighthearted way.
Karelyn
Nov 01, 2011 Karelyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
An endearing story with loveable characters, this book was an unexpected delight. I am definitely sharing it with my nieces and nephews. I received this book for free as a Goodreads First Read.
Krazyangel
Nov 06, 2011 Krazyangel rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
This was a great read. A good read for teenagers and up. It is a short but good read. I would also say this is a good read for parents and chilldren to read together as a good family read night.
Robin
Sep 23, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
Dealing with a mom who abandons her family, a sister who always defends her brother and a new kid in town, I liked this one a lot. Not too many characters to keep track of and lots of humor
Nov 11, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Cute story. I still think of YA lit as being easily categorized but I'm having a hard time placing where this book would go. I think my 11-year-old niece would like it.
Lori Davis
Apr 09, 2012 Lori Davis rated it really liked it
A nice story about starting a new beginning, friendship, and what it means to forgive. Paul Acampora created wonderful characters in Zachary, Teddy, and Rachel.
  • Prelude to Reveille:  A Vietnam Awakening
  • Betrayal: Whitey Bulger and the FBI Agent Who Fought to Bring Him Down
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • A Chunk of Hell
  • Beyond Birkie Fever
  • King of Paine
  • Garden of Secrets (Angel's Bay, #5)
  • Lucky Break
  • Reel Life Starring Us
  • The Properties of Water
  • Stop and Blog the Roses
  • Around the World in 100 Days
  • The Big Dark
  • Revenge: No Statute of Limitations (The Jake Littleton Series #1)
  • Glamour (On the Runway, #5)
  • Jack Strong Takes a Stand (A Charlie Joe Jackson Spinoff)
  • Dead of Wynter
  • Forsaken
I was born in Bristol, Connecticut and grew up surrounded by an extended mob of parents, sister, grandparents, cousins, neighborhood kids, rabbits, dogs, nurses, engineers and others that, at various times, included musicians, Italians, Canadians, cancer survivors, gardeners, chicken killers, hair dressers, poker players, checker cheaters, pony riders, shopkeepers, factory workers, elementary sch ...more
More about Paul Acampora...