Children's Shakespeare

Children's Shakespeare

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  325 ratings  ·  29 reviews
As a writer, E. Nesbit understood that the stories are the least part of Shakespeare, but as a mother she also understood the need for simplicity. Envisioning this simplified introduction to works such as The Winter's Tale, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Taming of the Shrew -- eleven plays in all -- E. Nesbit set out to make them more accessible to you...more
Published December 1st 2000 by Chicago Review Press (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about Children's Shakespeare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children's Shakespeare

Shannon
As a simple, clean telling of the storyline, this works. But sometimes it's very awkward. What I gained from the book (which is definitely not intended for my age group) is an interest in further discovery of some of Shakespeare's plays. Probably that is its aim for children, and I would suggest children 8-11. Would I share it with children? I don't know....

Shakespeare's plots are complex. Nesbit strives to include the necessary parts, which sometimes makes the mere facts the only inclusion. It...more
Marcie
E. Nesbit has written many children's books. The one I'm most familiar with is The Railway Children. I really like that book and it influenced my decision to purchase this book. In the introduction of Shakespeare's Stories for Young Children, E. Nesbit explains her reasons for writing this book. She explains that her children love Shakespeare's story lines but at the time were too young to enjoy the actual play. So she took some of Shakespeare's most famous plays and summarized them, making it e...more
bridget trinkaus
Apr 19, 2008 bridget trinkaus rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to bridget by: amie doughty
Shelves: for-school
this was a brief introduction to shakespeare for children. some of the stories glossed certain plot lines over, perhaps e. nesbit did not think they were important. but i feel in shakespeare that the minor plot lines are just as important as the major ones (as we had discussed in class. my new favorite play is the winter's tale, and it was done wonderfully in this shortened form. this may have been the only story that i did not take issue with.
anika likes shakespeare--i have told her the jist o...more
Stven
Dec 11, 2008 Stven rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stven by: E. Nesbit's name
Excellent retellings of several of Shakespeare's plays! If you're ever booked to go see Twelfth Night or Merchant of Venice and would like to have an idea what the story is about while you're watching it, read it here first.

Not to make this a rant about modern Shakespeare productions, but.... All too often the people putting on the play are so much more familiar with it than some of us poor sods out here in the audience that they forget: We don't know the story! And the Elizabethan language of S...more
Featherglass
To write the storyline behind a Shakespearean work without detracting from the beauty of the play is difficult. For example, how does one tell the already-cliched story of thwarted love (Romeo and Juliet) without sounding sentimental and schmaltzy? But E. Nesbit does, in simple language and a well-thought out structure to the storyline she plots out of the massive works of the Bard.

Beyond the storyline, she weaves in her views on the heros and heroines that meander in and out of Twelfth Night,...more
Jake
Well, the title says it all. This is about a dozen or so of Shakespeare's plots outlines and simplified for children (probably ages 10 and over I would think). It was done by one of my favorite children's writers, E. Nesbit who has a wonderful way of relating to the little ones among us. Having read many of Shakespeare's plays (and at least aware of the plots of most of them) I still enjoyed the simple and enchanting was Mrs Nesbit relates these timeless stories. It was also a great way to keep...more
Teri
Not impressed. Try other adaptations of Shakespeare for children.
Stef
Nino and I really liked this!! Except for King Lear.
Andria Harriman
I read this to Audrey on our way to Shakespeare's birthplace and found it was a really good introduction to some of his more popular and entertaining plays. I liked that it didn't sugar coat the plot (romeo and Juliet still kill themselves) but it wasnt graphic and did make the stories easier for kids (and grownups!) to understand.
Erin
This is a wonderful introduction for children to the stories of Shakespeare. The language is still high, but not overwhelming like reading straight Shakespeare to a 9 year old. He loved it, by the way and got excited to hear the end to see if everyone died or everyone got married so he could say "Comedy!" or "Tragedy!". I found my copy at a library book sale, but the title is "Beautiful Stories of Shakespeare for Children". I don't know why they're not beautiful anymore.
Michelle
Edith Nesbitt (Railway Children fame) was a favorite author of J.K. Rowling. (Ironically, Nesbitt was never popular in America because some of her fantasy books were perceived as promoting witchcraft) She first wrote this around 1900. She had told her children of the wonders of Shakespeare, and when she read it to them they were less than thrilled. She decided to write her own version for her children. She did William proud.
Ally
Sep 06, 2009 Ally rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are puzzled while reading some of Shakespear's writing
This is so great! I've always wondered what the true story of "Romeo and Juliet" was. Finally I have something to read that I understand without all the big vocabulary, like 'misgrafed', 'vantage', and 'belike'....and so on and so forth. Finally I can read this great writer's stories without opening a dictonary once! Thank you Mr. Nesbit! Thank you very, very much!
Daniel Sadicario
A perfect introduction to the Bard, at least for those under about eight. The stories are short enough and language accessible enough for a five year old (the stories read like regular mythology), while still wading in the artful poetry of Shakespeare and themes of each play. In other words, my antsy boys (five and seven) enjoy it.
Debbie
I feel like I was supposed to like this more than I did. The plays are condensed down to basic characters/events, but with so much going on in Shakespeare's plays, these read like Cliffs Notes. I had to draw pictures as we read to keep characters apart. That said, Isaiah loved them.
Heather
I felt that some of Shakespeare's plays lent themselves better to a short story format than others. However, this book is a great way to become familiar with the plot of one of his plays before actually reading it or seeing it, especiall for children.
Shelli
The children and I are currently reading through this collection. Each story is written as a narrative (not as a play). This book it is giving the kids a firm understanding of the story lines which accompany Shakespearean comedies and tragedies.
Miss Clark
Feb 19, 2010 Miss Clark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children age 8+ and everyone else
I really enjoyed this book and appreciated Nesbit's versions of Shakespeare's classics pared down to their essentials. Very much so recommended, especially for younger kids (8 + or thereabouts) being introduced to the Bard.
Gracia
My favorite story was Romeo and Juliet. I liked all the other stories too. I also like Midsummer Night's Dream because the fairy king put magic juice on the fairy queen and she fell in love with a clown with a donkey head.
Annalise
Sep 20, 2007 Annalise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: my-random-books
I read this book to start me off in Shakespeare's work. It's an easier version so as to understand it better. I read this for school but I really enjoyed it. It has some of his best stories in here.
Heather
We take the girls to the Shakespeare festival in Central IL every summer. Nesbitt's retelling of Shakespeare for younger children (up to age 10, or thereabouts) is really well done.
Marie
Aug 20, 2009 Marie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8, 9, or 10 year olds?
Uses quotations from Shakespeare, looks worth reading in a couple years. Still seems too complex and too few illustrations for my 5/6 year old. Try maybe when she's 8?
Miss Clark
Read these stories to my children while they were being home schooled, excellent and very well-told stories!
April
This was great to read with my kids. I was surprised at how much my 6-year-old especially enjoyed it.
Jenny
In love with Shakespeare. He has so many plots of twists to his stories, it's amazing.
Kara
Reading this with my kids and we are all enjoying it. Great introduction to Shakespeare.
J.cuevas
I liked it, the author actually made the stories easier to comprehend
Natalie
Great introduction to Shakespeare.
Nia
Nia added it
Sep 20, 2014
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • Our Island Story: A History of Britain for Boys and Girls
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Viking Tales (Yesterday's Classics)
  • The King of the Golden River
  • Child's History of the World
  • Pagoo
  • Joan of Arc
  • Trial and Triumph
  • Tanglewood Tales: A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • The Aesop for Children
  • Tales from Shakespeare
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians (Volume One)
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • A Lion to Guard Us
Edith Nesbit (married name Edith Bland; 15 August 1858 – 4 May 1924) was an English author and poet; she published her books for children under the name of E. Nesbit.
She wrote or collaborated on over 60 books of fiction for children, several of which have been adapted for film and television. She was also a political activist and co-founded the Fabian Society, a socialist organisation later connec...more
More about E. Nesbit...
The Railway Children Five Children and It (Five Children, #1) The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children, #2) The Enchanted Castle The Enchanted Castle & Five Children and It