Start by marking “Les Indes Noires (Dodo Press)” as Want to Read:
Les Indes Noires (Dodo Press)

Read Book* *Different edition

Les Indes Noires (Extraordinary Voyages #16)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,155 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Jules Verne (1828-1905) est un ecrivain francais, dont une grande partie de l'oeuvre est consacree a des romans d'aventures et de science-fiction (appeles du temps de Jules Verne romans d'anticipation) comme Le Voyage au Centre de la Terre (1864) et Vingt Mille Lieues Sous les Mers (1869). Il fait ses etudes de rhetorique et de philosophie au Lycee de Nantes, (actuel Lycee ...more
Published October 10th 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1877)

To ask other readers questions about Les Indes Noires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Indes Noires

Anfenwick
Jan 24, 2014 Anfenwick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Someone should really rewrite this book as a fairy story with no pretensions to representing real mining in 19th century Scotland. Nell, the child of the caverns, who has never seen the light of day evokes ancient stories of human children raised in underground kingdoms, and supernatural children adopted by humans. There is something bewitchingly and tantalizingly unreal about her, so long as you stick to seeing the story as fantasy. (view spoiler) ...more
Stephen
Verne wrote some fantastic pieces of fiction, but this is just an above average adventure/love story about people living in a coal mine. It is very interesting with an eye toward how coal used to be mined, and the book is a fun read. Just not something to write home about.
dragonhelmuk
Aug 25, 2013 dragonhelmuk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ali
Aug 08, 2010 Ali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I certainly enjoyed this book (for the most part...the above-ground tourism bored the daylights out of me). It took me back to all my good old days reading Verne. Clever, original setting as you'd expect from Verne. The story was very good. I was quite happy with the ending, as well as with the character of Harry Ford.

I give a mediocre rating because while the book was good, it was by no means outstanding.
John Clark
Although it spends most of its time in a coal mine, this quaint little adventure story doesn't offer much depth. All of the characters are static and direct, and the main thrust of the plot is resolved almost by chance.

From a sustainability perspective, the story is rather ironic, as it glorifies the use of fossil fuels, coal, and mining; and it looks forward to an unending supply of the same.
Jesse Barnes
Aug 06, 2011 Jesse Barnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had some time to read recently due to some long flights. This was a very short read (only took a few hours as I recall), but it was a fun one. Jules Verne explores the mining world of the 19th century, and weaves in a story about an enormous coal vein discovery at a previously abandoned mine. Not as good as "The Lighthouse at the End of the World" but still very entertaining.
Darlene
Nov 05, 2013 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE UNDERGROUND CITY is a short story by Jules Verne that I had never heard of until I stumbled upon it quite by accident in the library. What else can I say? It’s Jules Verne! I enjoyed it even though it was short and fell short of his typical works. Still, it was entertaining and pure Jules Verne and for that reason, I gave it four stars.
Atilio Frasson
Hacía por lo menos más de cuatro años que no leía un libro de Julio Verne, que es el autor del que más libros leí, en parte, porque por allá en 2005 leí como catorce o quince libros seguidos del autor y me produjo como un hartazgo de Verne.

Luego, en 2011 leí dos del autor que se caracterizaban más por su rareza:
-Uno era "Paris en el siglo XX", que era una novela que Verne le había enviado a su editor Hetzel para ser publicada luego del éxito de su primera novela "Cinco semanas en globo". La no
Flturner turner
Apr 21, 2010 Flturner turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This lesser known book by Jules Verne has to do with discovery of a gigantic cavern in a coal mine. People make their homes around an underground lake, but the people are plagued by accidents and strange events.
Living underground was not a unknown action by men but until recent years never on a scale envisioned by Jules Verne.
Céline Sabiron
Aug 05, 2013 Céline Sabiron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book which is too little known in comparison to other books by Verne. Well worth the read especially if you have read some of Scott's Waverley novels since Verne was very much inspired by the Wizard of the North.
Gabrielle Blin
Apr 06, 2014 Gabrielle Blin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryan
Sep 07, 2014 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It starts off slowly, but the thrill just shoots to the sky at the end of the book, up until the last moment. Pretty basic, but quite good nonetheless.
Julian Litke
This was a nice casual read. The first Verne I've read. The characters weren't deep but the idea of the story is very interesting.
Tavish
May 09, 2008 Tavish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a more "supernatural" story like Journey to the Center of the Earth, but this was an OK read for a quick book.
Robert
Nov 20, 2015 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solidly decent book by a great author, The Underground City is a fun read, but fails to live up to its potential. Sent in central Scotland very near where I once lived, I could relate to the places and activities mentioned, which gave it a firmly grounded sense of location and reality.

Not knowing what to expect, I was impressed by the slow, methodical revelation of the plot. But as I approached the end, I feel it lacked a certain sense of adventure or danger that make Verne's best book so memo
Michael
Mar 02, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story takes place in an abandoned underground coal mine, and it is a very good read. Jules Verne includes a lot of adjectives and strong descriptive terms. The characters seem so real, they grow on you. The book contains so much emotional power, you want to read more. It includes enough tension to keep you interested, but still moves fast enough that you do not lose interest. The story foreshadows other events just enough so you understand the reason certain things happen, but at the same ti ...more
My Inner Shelf
Dix ans après la fermeture de la mine d'Aberfoyle, l'ingénieur James Starr est rappelé sur les lieux par l'ancien overman, Simon Ford. Ayant élu domicile au fond de la mine avec sa femme et son fils, Ford déclare avoir fait une découverte permettant de ré-exploiter la mine. De multiples phénomènes troublants vont se produire, une jeune fille apeurée et mourante sera découverte, et divers dangers menaceront la mine et ses nouveaux habitants.
Les Indes noires de Jules Verne représentent la nouvelle
Susan
The first time I read this a fellow Lyster had suggested this book as an inspiration for the then upcoming project of Uru. I read it, and aside from the name of the Loch Katrina (the surface loch above Loch Malcolm inside the cave system, I didn't see much connection. On its own its an interesting short story about some very deep caves, a new miner's city, and the mysterious girl found barely alive deep in the cave system.

It was probably inspired by one or more of the odd tales of refugees from
Jelios Ataliakrouso
Feb 18, 2013 Jelios Ataliakrouso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ap-englsih
An old concept has been reintroduce, had you ever wanted to live below the ground, where the suns eyes cannot penetrate? well the buried concept of an underground city if effectively constructed for the progressing setting. The audacity of the location is somewhat of a wonder to be built without fault, it however did serve a wonderful purpose(unless you feel uncomfortable being subjected to circumstance, in other words, "no way out of death.")I read and read, the sun rose and feel, the moon par ...more
Geert Daelemans
Aug 30, 2013 Geert Daelemans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, frans
A fantastic adventure down a Scottish coal mine

In the Scottish coal mine of Aberfoyle lots of strange things are happening. Everything indicates that some supernatural beings are haunting the deserted mine shafts. A family of three people, still living in that mine - 450 meters bellow the Earth's surface, is convinced that there still is plenty of carbon ready to be mined. When call upon James Starr, a mining engineer, to reopen the nine, not everybody seems to be pleased. The tranquil subterran
Masanobu
This one is a typical Verne novel and a really short one, for that. It has the good guy, handsome and brave, the bad guy, evil and crazy, the friend, funny and good-hearted, and the girl, innocent and beautiful. This time, the novel is about some miners who found a village underground, in the very mine where they work. The fantastic thing about Verne's novels is that they are plagued with data that make everything feel as if it was true or could be achieved. Sometimes this is a pain to read, lik ...more
Jaheb Serge
Feb 20, 2011 Jaheb Serge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lu
Italy
Jan 19, 2015 Italy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lame, lame and more lame. I was kind of excited to listen to this book by Jules Verne, having always heard his name, known of some of his writing, but never actually read anything. I don't think I'll pick up any more from him. The narrator was even lame. I kept waiting for the story to happen, and maybe I expected something different than what it was, but it never happened. Glad it was short.
Denise
Not every book by every author is a prize-winning contribution to literature. This story, written in 1911, is one such example. An interesting concept (living in a community deep underground) that includes a mystery. But the author could have embellished the terror felt by the main characters when their light was snuffed out while deep underground. There they were...1500 feet underground, in pitch darkness and with their exit blocked. No one knows where they are, there's no hope of rescue, they ...more
Wreade1872
Of the dozen or so Verne books i've read i'd put this at number 3 behind '20,000' and 'Paris in the 20th Century'. Having said that Verne does get a bit repetitive in the broad-strokes. This is the fifth story i've read by him that has mysterious events which turn out to be... well i won't say but if he lived Verne could certainly have gotten a job as a Scooby-Doo scriptwriter :P.
However as Scooby-Doo episodes go this is still pretty good. There's a bit of romance and its also a bit darker than
Momo
Feb 19, 2015 Momo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jill
Of those I've read of his, this is my least favorite, but it still has some fun in it - suspense and adventure. A lot of the dialogue was a bit too sappy for my taste, and the narrator was pretty awful on the audiobook - mostly from his sad, sad attempt at various Brit accents. Nevertheless, it was a short, fun read.
Olivia
Jun 11, 2012 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful short story and one of the lesser known novels of Jules Verne. It took me only about two hours to get through it and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It tells the tale of the Scottish city Aberfoyle. The former mine foreman Simon Ford is still living in the mine he used to work in ten years ago. Now, he has found a new vein and informs former friend James Starr of his findings. Strange things start happening as if someone or something didn't want anyone to find the new vein.
The
Steve Rattray
Continuing revisiting books of my childhood, in a way, by reading one from my favourite childhood author that was new to me. It's not the Journey to the Centre of the Earth but set in Scotland I was expecting. Sad. I still love Verne's writing but this is rushed and formulaic.
Pao
Aug 26, 2015 Pao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a wonderful book. I have read just one book from Verne before and I felt this wouldn't disappoint me. And I wasn't wrong. It may be a little bit tedious at the beginning but then, you can't put it down.
On the other hand, you travel to Scotland with this book and a necessity of being there wakes up inside you :)
So, read it! You won't regret it.
  • Gautier Récits Fantastiques
  • The Complete Moon Trilogy: The Moon Maid, The Moon Men & The Red Hawk
  • The Fortunes of Captain Blood
  • The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis
  • The Village
  • Maigret Has Doubts
  • Il re del mare
  • The woman with the velvet necklace
  • Ayesha: The Return of She
  • The Vicar of Bullhampton
  • When the Sleeper Wakes
  • Change de camp (Joséphine, #3)
  • Masters of the Vortex (Lensman, #7)
  • Youth / Heart of Darkness / The End of the Tether
  • A Prisoner in Fairyland
  • The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition: Histories
  • Born to be a larve (Notes, #1)
  • The Mortal Immortal: The Complete Supernatural Short Fiction of Mary Shelley
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City
  • The Blockade Runners
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa

“En este país todo contribuye a esa poesía natural iniciada en el corazón de los montañeses: Lo mis­mo sucede en todos los países mon­tañosos. La imaginación está excita­da por estas maravillas, y si los griegos hubiesen vivido en una lla­nura, no hubiesen inventado la mi­tología.” 0 likes