Start by marking “If a Chicken Stayed for Supper” as Want to Read:
If a Chicken Stayed for Supper

If a Chicken Stayed for Supper

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Mommy Fox has gone hunting for a chicken for supper. Yum! Her five cubs can't wait. They even sneak out of their den. But it's scary outside at night and one of them could get lost. In fact, one of them could already be lost! The five little foxes take turns counting one an other and--gasp!--they only count to four! It takes an unexpected feathery visitor to calm down the ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Holiday House (first published August 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about If a Chicken Stayed for Supper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If a Chicken Stayed for Supper

Heather Dunbar
This book was cute and funny. There really aren’t any lessons to be learned here, but it does make for good leisure reading, and the humor in it might help children learn that reading can in fact be lots of fun.
Elaine
A very cute story about a few baby foxes wandering off, running into a mother hen. I enjoyed this book for the preschool age because it appeared the young audience was able to relate the baby foxes actions such as counting, weeping and other scenarios. They liked the story and reacted well to the cute illustrations.
Hayley Irwin
This cute book tells of five foxes who promise their mother not to leave the den while she goes hunting for a chicken for supper. The little foxes are unable to resist and head out into the dark night to play. As they are out they incorrectly count themselves and believe one of them is missing. However Mrs Chicken discovers the foxes and dries their tears before bringing them back to the den. Mommy Fox realises it would be bad manners to eat Mrs Chicken and instead they welcome her for dinner.
Th
Jenny Walker
Heartwarming yet tedious in places.
Megan MacDonald
Cruth
Author: Carrie Weston
Illustrator: Sophie Fatus
First Published: 2006

The simple mistaken counting made the kids laugh with a light moral of friendship between enemies that was obvious to the adults but subtle enough to be missed by the kids. Lovely bright illustrations. Appealing.

There's more in it than you realise.

Age:
Read aloud: 3+
Read yourself: 5+

(ISBN 1416904867)

-CR-
Irina
This is a very cute book about five little fox who think that they lost one of the fox, because when they count they forget to count themselves. (keep counting only 4) A hen helps them see that there are five fox in all when she counts them all.They end up having the hen over for supper, but not eating her. This is a great book when learning about counting,I would say that this book is perfect up to kindergarten. (Could be read beyond that age for fun!)
Adrienne Furness
This twist on The Five Silly Fishermen features five adorable little foxes who are very naughtily straying outside when their mother told them not to. Side plot features a debate on whether or not the family's going to wind up eating the chicken who saves the little foxes from themselves. Funny text, cute illustrations, total fun.
Megan
The title is a little misleading. Most of this book involves the five little foxes trying to count each other to make sure all five are still there. The chicken doesn't show up until the last couple of pages! Other than that, it's a nice enough story. I smiled at the foxes' counting confusion. Possibly a good book for storytime.
Jessica Murad
this book is so cute. I saw it featured at my library and I thought I would give it a shot. I used it for a class assignment and it worked out perfectly. It is funny and not too long or too short. I wouldn't mind reading it again.
Angela Gaskell
I like the contrast of putting together two unlikely animals.
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 Yarb rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
An appealing work of chick-fic.
Susan
Story and illustrations...adorable!
Melanie
very clever!
W
W added it
Dec 04, 2014
jacky
jacky marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
The New Bear At School What Noise Does a Rabbit Make? Oh, Boris! Bravo, Boris! Crocodiles Need Kisses Too