Start by marking “From Here to Maternity” as Want to Read:
From Here to Maternity

From Here to Maternity

Sydney marketing exec Sophie presumed "making sacrifices for your children" meant giving up Bloody Marys and champagne for nine months. When she thought about it, that is.... But then two blue lines appear on her pregnancy test. How does a baby fit in with a hectic job, a chaotic social life, and the absence of Max, the Y chromosome in the equation, who has moved to San Fr ...more
Published May 2004 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about From Here to Maternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Here to Maternity

Rebecca
Jun 25, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Yay, an Australian book! Chicklit in Australia is so few and far between. And now that I am here, I can like actually sort of picture where everything is. There really needs to be more of it. (Well, the story I am sort of writing takes place partly in Aus, so who knows!!!) Anyway, Girl gets knocked up by her longtime boyfriend but he doesn't want kids, so they break up and he goes to America to work. She gets support from her group of friends, but doesn't really want to go back to work after she ...more
Bree
Aug 14, 2007 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2000-2005
This book was pretty good...I was expecting something totally different though. I thought it would be a funny book about being pregnant (ie "maternity"), but it completely skipped that part (with a flashback scene to the birth later) and was more about her life with a baby. Which was OK, just not what I expected. Anyway, I liked the characters in the book, and saw a lot of things coming way before they happened, though there were quite a few surprises. Anyway, a pretty good read.
Ellenjsmellen
Feb 22, 2009 Ellenjsmellen rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
This book was cute, but ok. When Sophie and her boyfriend break up because he's moving to San Francisco from Australia & isn't ready to commit, she finds out that she's pregnant. In the meanwhile, she has a baby and her good friend talks her into making baby books to sell through department stores. It doesn't talk about how she's surviving on her own without a job. Maybe Australia gives a year's maternity pay. Who knows, plus she comes up with the money for a baby book venture.
May 03, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
I just finished this book. It took two 1 1/2 days. It's a comedy about a single woman who just got out iof a two year relationship just to find out she is pregnant. Her ex has moved to San Francisco (she in Sydney) and wants no relationship or baby. She is doing it all on her own with a lil help from her friends. Easy good read.
Mar 04, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
A good book to tear through (I finished it in just 3 days) when you want a break from heavier reading. I thoroughly enjoyed the fresh and often humorous plot and appreciated the fact that it was fast paced and never seemed to hit an uneventful lull.
All in all a great 'chick lit' read about motherhood, friendship, business, relationships and the unconventional way we see them all now.
Flora
These days, all I ask for in a chick book is that it end happily, not be lame or poorly written. The happiness of the ending is not fully settled, and of course there's some suspension of disbelief here and there, but overall, this clears the bar.
Suzanne
Jan 26, 2010 Suzanne rated it liked it
Set in Australia the story had many interesting background notes. The characters were a little superficial and the writing stilted. It was entertaining and somewhat humerous.
Christy
Jul 31, 2009 Christy rated it it was amazing
I read this last month, it's hilarious. I recommend it for any expectant moms, single moms or new moms.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it liked it
Interesting book, but I got a little caught up with the Australian dialects and spellings. Ending wasn't what I thought it could have been.
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2009
Natalie Ram
Natalie Ram rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2011
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2008
Linaya
Linaya rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2007
Pam Macleod
Pam Macleod rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2011
Shelly
Aug 21, 2008 Shelly added it
easy, fun read. the ending seemed kind of rushed, but other than that, a good girl read.
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2010
Lauren Vangelder
Lauren Vangelder rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2010
MT Bostick
MT Bostick rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Ashley Bishop
Ashley Bishop rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2017
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2008
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2009
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2009
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2010