Start by marking “Batman: The Wrath” as Want to Read:
Batman: The Wrath

Batman: The Wrath (Batman Confidential #3; issues 13-16)

3.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Gotham City is plagued with crime and corruption in places high and low, but one man has taken a stand against the evil: the dark avenger known as Batman. Years ago, the Dark Knight fought a villain called The Wraith, who used similar training, gadgets and tactics as Batman but for evil purposes. Now the Wraith is back for another reign of terror.
Published January 29th 2010 by Titan Books Ltd (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Feather Mista
Mar 15, 2011 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Batmanistas genéricos.
Recommended to Feather by: Que las primeras páginas prometían.
"Va para tres genéricas y cumplidoras estrellitas."
Creo que debería dedicarme a la futurología, porque siempre que me adelanto con el veredicto le pego.
Hablando en serio, esta saga de Batman Confidencial me ofreció más o menos lo que esperaba: una historia con buenas intenciones y un desarrollo parcialmente bien logrado. La idea de un anti-Batman es bastante interesante pero no va mucho más allá de contrastar sus ideales y mostrar lo diferentes que reaccionaron ante un mismo hecho traumático. El
Beckiezra
May 23, 2012 Beckiezra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
The cheesy 80s story was a little painful, mostly because the detecting was painfully easy and the characters didn't know things they should. A map with the area circled? Does anyone actually do that? And would Batman be so dumb as to show up in costume every year at the site of his parents' death? Why didn't anyone else figure out who he was! And why didn't Leslie know who he was AND WHY DIDN'T ALFRED KNOW WHY BRUCE WENT TO THAT SITE?!! I am only a casual Batman fan and I know better than the w ...more
Arto
Jun 18, 2016 Arto rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Once again Batman story that felt old, dozens of times read before. This made me believe even more that I'm never going to be a Batman fan. Even though New 52! Green Lanterns have been good, I'm still Marvel man. Batman and Superman are just boring.
Lexxi Kitty
A story from 1984 by Mike Barr & Michael Golden gets a sequel of sorts 25 years latter, this time by Tony Bedard & Rags Morales.

The first story involves a man saw his parents gunned down by a cop the same night Bruce Wayne saw his own parents die. The 'other one' became one of the best assassins around, specializing in targeting coos. Meanwhile, Wayne became Batman.

The second story told over several parts (4), involves a reunion of sorts with Batman, Robin/Nightwing and tge Wrath (Chikd)
Frederick
3.5~ pretty cool, just refreshing myself before reading the Wrath's debut in New 52 continuity.
M
Oct 24, 2013 M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of this Batman volume, that opposite reaction is dubbed the Wrath. The orphaned son of a pair of criminals, an unnamed child dedicated his life to the destruction of law enforcement. With an origin story that syncs up perfectly to Bruce Wayne's tragic night - to the very day - the Wrath spent his debut targeting Jim Gordon and eventually meeting a fateful end. Yet the identity was resurrected by Elliot Cadwell, who had been g ...more
Bill Williams
Batman: The Wrath was an interesting look at comic book story-telling then and now. The first story, by Mike Barr and Michael Golden was published as a Batman Special in 1984 and featured a masked anti-Batman named Wrath. His beginnings were shrouded in mystery and seemingly linked to Batman’s origin. The story had a beginning, middle, and end. The art by Golden was lovely and you could see why he influenced everyone from Art Adams to Bill Willingham.

The sequel runs five issues and tediously dis
Kari Ramirez
May 16, 2014 Kari Ramirez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the old Batman comics. Don't get me wrong, I really love the New 52 Scott Snyder Batman, but there is something so charming and sweet about the early Batman stuff. I don't know what it is, maybe he was more human? Had more emotion? More empathy? He showed surprise and regret. Something.

There's a 24 year gap between The Wrath and The Wrath Child, the two stories that encompass this book. Which is good because at the end of The Wrath you don't have any idea why he was after Jim or killing c
Michelle Cristiani
Imagine my embarrassed surprise when I

1) Chose this because I thought it was Huntress on the cover and later realized it was actually "The Wrath";
and
2) Realized, upon coming here to review, that I had actually read this before - and reviewed it. Here is what I said the first time:

Nice backstory, and awesome villains. Well-done!

I agree with myself. The villain, Wrath, also lost his parents the same night as Bruce Wayne, but they were criminals. And he vowed the same kind of revenge, and underwen
Jerry Daniels
Okay, so it may not be classical literature, but it's a light read if you're into super heroes like I am. Well, I did have trouble with having a point of reference for the villain in this four-part story bound into one graphic novel. The villain, the caped-crusader's opposite, shares a similar background but is out for revenge -- and it's against Commissioner Gordon! The first part of the story takes place without Batman's sidekick, Robin. But when the boy wonder returns it's as an adult hero no ...more
Joshlynn
A surprisingly decent, if overwrought pair of stories featuring a villain who had no fucking reason to exist. Barr and Bedard are members of that group of solid, workmanlike writers (along with Wolfman, Wein, Jurgens, and many others) whose work rarely if ever transcends but is always readable and forward-moving.
Mangzilla
Batman battles Wrath, an "evil twin" who, after the death of his parents, dedicates himself to becoming the world's greatest assasin. Matching Batman's drive, skills, and even "toys," Wrath goes after Comissioner Gordon.

Of course, no one is a match for Batman, but Wrath tests our hero.

Thalestral
Jul 10, 2010 Thalestral rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
3 stars. This has the original Wrath arc which is a bit painfully cheesy to read, along with the much better but still a bit contrived later arcs. I'd give this 4 stars if it wasn't for the first story to be honest. Not to my taste!
Kurt Rocourt
Oct 30, 2013 Kurt Rocourt rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-tpb
This is a hidden gem of a story. I recommend reading this story as an example of what an anti-Batman should be. The artist, Rags Morales does a great job also.
Joyce
Apr 09, 2015 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: batman, 2015
The second half of this story was much better than the first.
Declan
Nov 12, 2009 Declan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing that special to be honest.
Mike
Dec 12, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-series
Review coming...
Arwa Sultan
Arwa Sultan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Kieron
Kieron marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Ozan
Ozan marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Xerrah
Xerrah marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Scott Lerer
Scott Lerer marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Robert Wright
Robert Wright rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
John Martin
John Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
CaptainCold
CaptainCold marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Shaun Clamp
Shaun Clamp rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Batman International
  • Batman: Battle for the Cowl Companion
  • Batman: Birth of the Demon
  • Batman: Going Sane
  • Batman Confidential, Vol. 7: The Bat and the Beast
  • Batman: Snow
  • The Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told (Batman)
  • Batman Confidential, Vol. 4: The Cat and the Bat
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 11: Worship
  • Batman: Death Mask
  • Batman: Faces
  • Superman & Batman: Generations 2, An Imaginary Tale (Elseworlds)
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 5: Between Dark and Dawn
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 11: Metropolis or Dust
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 9: Night and Day
  • Batman Black and White, Vol. 3
  • Batman Versus Bane
  • Batman Confidential, Vol. 5: Dead to Rights

Batman Confidential (8 books)
  • Batman Confidential, Vol. 1: Rules of Engagement