Start by marking “Pioneers” as Want to Read:
Pioneers

Pioneers (Pinky Swear #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  5 reviews
When Matt decided to film a documentary about gay men living in New Orleans over the last 50 years, his first subject is his and his lover Lane's landlord, the elegant Sebastian LaGrange.

Sebastian agrees, and as his life's story unfolds, part of the mystery of who he is is revealed.

Sebastian has been a mentor and friend to Matt and Lane, and even at his age, he still has s
Published November 14th 2010 by Amber Quill - Amber Allure (first published November 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pioneers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pioneers

A.J. Llewellyn
Oh...wow...just finished this beautiful book. This is another Lynn Lorenz ode to the city of New Orleans, but also to its "pioneer queers."
Before I get a bunch of nasty responses, that's straight from the book.
"Pioneers" features the delightful duo Matt and Lane whom we met in the third book of her New Orleans quartet, "Pinky Swear."
Now living together in Sebastian's old servant's quarters at the back of his property the pair interview the older man who featured heavily in "Pinky Swear".
He tells
Book Utopia
2.5, but I'll round up since I think my main issue won't bother most people.

Note to publishers: If books are interconnected because of recurring characters, I want to know before I buy. It doesn’t matter if they’re not sequels. Some of us readers do not like coming into a story where characters have had history prior to the story’s start that is detailed in other books. Because if I had known that the characters in this had been in another, earlier story? I would never have bought this book. And
Gerry Burnie
"Gerry B's Book Reviews" - http://www.gerrycan.wordpress.com
There are a whole bunch of good things that can be said about “Pioneers” by Lynn Lorenz [Amber Quill Press, 2010]. To begin, it is superbly written. The syntax flows flawlessly, the characters are well developed, and the pace keeps the story moving along at a comfortable pace. All important pluses in my opinion.

I also found the era in which the story is set—i.e. the 1940s & 50s—a wonderfully nostalgic bonus. As the chief supporting
Feliz
The first sentence of this book reads like this:

“…it was the fifties, lamb chop. One didn’t come out of the closet, one tiptoed out.” Sebastian wiggled two ring – bedecked fingers in the air as if they were walking. “And then one tiptoed right back in.”

Isn’t it awesome? One single sentence and you can see him, the seventy- something, distinguished gentleman, unashamedly camp and yet showing an endearing amount of self-mockery which will forever keep him from being crude. For this one sentence, I
Sadonna
Sep 06, 2011 Sadonna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, pdf
Lovely, bittersweet, hopeful story. Review to follow.
Sarina
Sarina marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Tailtiu
Tailtiu marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Sammyd
Sammyd marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Veronica /  V
Veronica / V marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Keri
Keri marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Deryncarm1970
Deryncarm1970 marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Tsubaki
Tsubaki marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Gianna
Gianna marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Debbie
Debbie added it
Feb 10, 2014
Eufrezyna
Eufrezyna marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Barb ~rede-2-read~ marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
(1)gay romance

I’m from New Orleans, that’s N’awlins for those of you who speak the language. I grew up in the Riverbend, or Carrollton, for the old timers, but was a Quarter rat from the age of 11, taking 3 buses to go to art class on Burgundy Street at the Cabrini Doll Museum and NORD center. I attended Univers
More about Lynn Lorenz...

Pinky Swear (3 books)
  • Pinky Swear
  • C'est La Vie
Edward Unconditionally (Common Powers, #3) Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club, #1) Soul Bonds (Common Powers, #1) Rush in the Dark (Common Powers, #2) Bayou's End (Rougaroux Social Club, #2)