Civil War: Peter Parker, Spider-Man

Civil War: Peter Parker, Spider-Man (Marvel Civil War)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,424 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The War has begun, sides have been chosen, and the die has been cast With the repercussions of recent events in Civil War spreading across the Marvel Universe, see how every action can have enormous consequences - even in Peter Parker's life. Collects Sensational Spider-Man #28-34.
Published May 23rd 2007 by Marvel

Lauren
I'm rather new to reviewing comics, but this site includes them in the books I've read, and so shall I. I do not know enough about the practice of reviewing comics to properly address the art, so instead I will focus on the story.

And what a story! This is the kind of thing that Marvel does well, I think. It is a decidedly personal story of inner conflict as Peter struggles between two political factions, both of which have good points (how rare that is in real life!). The importance, though, is...more
Gavin
There's nothing particularly wrong with this, other than the fact that after Amazing Spider-Man Civil War, this seems like it was designed for 12yr olds. The art is great in the first issue of the volume, but after that I'm not a huge fan. The subject matter is also pretty ho-hum...I'm supposed to believe that the cut-rate Spidey villains can do so much damage to him while he's able to duke it out with Iron Man and Cap? There's a few good parts, when Aunt May foils a plan to kill her, and some s...more
Emily
The focus here, I think, is more on how Spidey's unmasking affects everyone else in his life: MJ, Aunt May, his array of villains, Black Cat, even Peter Parker's high school science students. Civil War: The Amazing Spider-Man actually deals more directly with Spiderman's perspective on the Civil War. I really liked that regular people in Spidey's life while under a great deal of pressure, Jordon (the student), MJ, and Aunt May (especially Aunt May!) have to prove themselves heroic in their own w...more
Andy
The story was traditional Spiderman. Modernday swashbuckling hamlet of sorts, although in these stores the inner angst is not as pervasive. Regardless, just as in traditional Spiderman books... you can't help but become enchanted by the story. Even more central is the artistry provided by Clayton Crain, Angel Mediana and Sean Chen. Though stylized, the art is stunning. All the stories carry well, but I truly enjoyed the final story between Black Cat and Spidey. A great addition.
H
Jul 12, 2009 H added it
Shelves: comics-superhero
Worth it if only for Aunt May's story and Felicia Hardy's at the end. Aunt May as a character holds the type of resonance and depth that we feel when we see Martha Kent watching Superman die from her home television set in Kansas. And Felicia Hardy, the Black Cat, is the love story that almost was, which is written here with great emotional surprises.

The writing style is fabulous and well-paced. Laughed out loud several times.
Bryan Pope
This was a meh read. The reason that I gave it 3 stars is because out of 6 issues in this TPB collection I only really cared for 3. #28, #32 and #33. The rest didn't hold any impact on me for story telling. (Moment of clarity, this collection feels like it is supposed to be focusing on how Peter's decision is affecting those close to him. Those issues were the best stories that follow that guideline.)
Fizzgig76
Reprints Sensational Spider-Man #28-34. Peter, Mary Jane, and Aunt May try to come to terms with Peter's unmasking and face villains seeking him out instead of Spider-Man. The stories in this collection are interesting. It was able to go a little deeper into the (short lived) "unmasking of Spider-Man", and show how Peter's secret affected others.
StoryTellerShannon
The first story was good but then it became flat focusing on Mary Jane reacting and dealing with various problems as Peter reveals himself as Spiderman to the world. A really stupid idea, by the way, as you will (thanks, Stark).

OVERALL GRADE: C plus.
heidi
Did not enjoy this so much. Artwork could have been better. Also didn't help that Black Cat/Felicia Hardy - not my favorite of Spidey's paramours - feature prominently in the story line. That said, great to see Madam Webb for a few panels. Wish there were more of her.
Ernest
Linking well with the overall Civil War storyline, the more the reader knows and followed the various stories within Civil War. Interesting for the most parts, I found myself being less interested with the issues involving the Black Cat and Liz Allen.
NaomiRuth
I liked this, however, I do have one complaint. What is with almost being able to see Mary Jane's butt in the cover art? I just. *sighs* Come on, guys. There's just no good reason why she can't have her shorts not falling down.
Kimberlee
A heart-breaking read - Peter chooses to reveal his identity in support of Tony Stark and the Superhero Registration Act, and thus begins his downward slide into losing absolutely everything.
Ben
Some okay spiderman stories dealing with the fallout from the unmasking. The art is also uneven--the first and last stories look good, but the "Deadly Foes" artist is pretty crappy.
The first story in the collection (from the POV of one of Peter's students) is excellent, and the TPB would have been worth it for that alone, but there was other good stuff, too.
Shannon Appelcline
Some of the character pieces are excellent, but that's balanced by a trio of punch-em-up issues that are only notable due to the C class villains that they spotlight.
Matt
Spider-Man is a badass!! One of my favorite Marvel characters. Plus this Civil War series is really cool. I can't wait to read more of them.
Michael
There are some good perspectives here, as this does not focus on Peter Parker, as the title would seem to suggest.
Josh
Fuck you, J. Michael Straczynski. Roberto is the writer you will never be.
Dominic
What can I say, love Spider-Man and really enjoyed this book.
Jeffrey
Want to read them all
Tabitha
Tabitha is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
  • House of M: Spider-Man
  • Civil War
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • House of M: World of M, Featuring Wolverine
The Stand: Soul Survivors The Stand: American Nightmares The Stand: Hardcases The Stand, Volume 5: No Man's Land Thor: The Trials of Loki