Start by marking “Civil War: Peter Parker, Spider-Man” as Want to Read:
Civil War: Peter Parker, Spider-Man

Civil War: Peter Parker, Spider-Man (Spider-Man Marvel Comics)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  2,260 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The War has begun, sides have been chosen, and the die has been cast With the repercussions of recent events in Civil War spreading across the Marvel Universe, see how every action can have enormous consequences - even in Peter Parker's life. Collects Sensational Spider-Man #28-34.
Published May 23rd 2007 by Marvel (first published May 9th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Civil War

Jeff
Dec 01, 2014 Jeff rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix
If you want the quintessential volume to illustrate why it is so difficult to follow a simple (ha!) storyline within the context of a mega crossover event, here it is! Marvel’s Civil War is complicated enough to sort out as it is, but one would hope that a single collection would at least adequately explain, via a smaller glimpse, what’s happening to the titular character(s).

Nope, not happening here! And it doesn’t help that these stories vary widely in quality either.

Backstory – Peter Parker w
Kemper
May 03, 2016 Kemper rated it liked it
You know who doesn’t need your Civil War? Besides Axl Rose, I mean. Peter Parker could also do without it because it ain’t been nothing but trouble for the poor guy.

Most of the major events for Spidey in this event happened in the main CW books or Amazing Spider-Man so what this collection focuses on is how the public revelation of his secret identity has impacted the people in Peter Parker’s life. There’s some decent stories with Aunt May, Mary-Jane, Felicia Hardy a/k/a The Black Cat, and even
Julia
May 31, 2016 Julia rated it it was ok
Shelves: marvel-comics, 2016
The only comic book I read today because it was such a drag.

The artwork was horrible, by the way. They changed it up almost every issue and it was just a different type of horrible.

When someone argues the side of anti-registration, one of the points they bring up is that the world/government will know their identity, thus endangering said powered individual's family. That is exactly what happens here. A ton of Spider-Man's rogues come after Peter, Mary Jane, and Aunt May. THANKS, TONY STARK.
Gavin
Oct 06, 2013 Gavin rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
There's nothing particularly wrong with this, other than the fact that after Amazing Spider-Man Civil War, this seems like it was designed for 12yr olds. The art is great in the first issue of the volume, but after that I'm not a huge fan. The subject matter is also pretty ho-hum...I'm supposed to believe that the cut-rate Spidey villains can do so much damage to him while he's able to duke it out with Iron Man and Cap? There's a few good parts, when Aunt May foils a plan to kill her, and some s ...more
Lauren
Apr 22, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: old
I'm rather new to reviewing comics, but this site includes them in the books I've read, and so shall I. I do not know enough about the practice of reviewing comics to properly address the art, so instead I will focus on the story.

And what a story! This is the kind of thing that Marvel does well, I think. It is a decidedly personal story of inner conflict as Peter struggles between two political factions, both of which have good points (how rare that is in real life!). The importance, though, is
Jim C
Feb 24, 2016 Jim C rated it liked it
This book takes place during the Marvel event of Civil War. This book details how Spider-Man's unmasking affects the people around him. This group includes Aunt May, Mary Jane, his students, and ex-girlfriends.

My enjoyment of this collection went from end of the spectrum to the other end. There are seven issues in this collection and I would say about half of them were terrific while the other half were forgettable. Peter has always feared that his enemies will come after the ones he loves and t
Labyrinth
The focus here, I think, is more on how Spidey's unmasking affects everyone else in his life: MJ, Aunt May, his array of villains, Black Cat, even Peter Parker's high school science students. Civil War: The Amazing Spider-Man actually deals more directly with Spiderman's perspective on the Civil War. I really liked that regular people in Spidey's life while under a great deal of pressure, Jordon (the student), MJ, and Aunt May (especially Aunt May!) have to prove themselves heroic in their own w ...more
Andrew Greatbatch
Jan 10, 2015 Andrew Greatbatch rated it it was amazing
This Trade collected Sensational Spider-Man. Before this, I had never even heard of it. I didn't know what I was missing. This was absolutely brilliant.
Christian Smith
Mar 14, 2017 Christian Smith rated it liked it
"when things get hopeless, do you know what I do? I go back to that moment, that choice, and I remember: the certainty I felt. The strength I had. We're in a war, Mary Jane. This isn't the time to buckle. It's the time to find out what you're made of. And learn how resilient your love really is."
----Sue Storm
Samuel
Mar 05, 2017 Samuel rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's nice knowing what all the heroes were up to during the Civil War, but this was unnecessary. We know Spidermans arc. Did we really need a comic that has Aunt May trick the Chameleon with cookies while knitting a sweater that says "gotcha"? I think not.
Jayly
Oct 06, 2016 Jayly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular!
Beth Huddleston
Oct 03, 2016 Beth Huddleston rated it really liked it
In the Marvel Universe, a war is brewing both political and physical. When a stupid stunt led some young heroes to putting young kids' lives in danger, the country demanded satisfaction. Heroes everywhere needed to be registered. Consequences needed to come with actions. While Captain America believed identities needed to be kept secret, and heroes should have a choice; Iron Man recruited heroes to reveal themselves...heroes like Peter Parker.

After Parker took off his mask for the world to see,
Kaleigh Norkum-Mathieu
I found the beginning of the book to be a bit tedious, the book being more about how those in Peter Parker's life are adjusting to his coming out as Spiderman. Halfway through the book it started to get a lot more interesting when MJ got her moment to explain her difficulties in supporting her husband through this civil war. I have never been a big MJ fan, I have always like Gwen Stacey and Black Cat more because I found them smart, badass, and capable of taking care of themselves. All traits I ...more
Andy
Nov 17, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it
The story was traditional Spiderman. Modernday swashbuckling hamlet of sorts, although in these stores the inner angst is not as pervasive. Regardless, just as in traditional Spiderman books... you can't help but become enchanted by the story. Even more central is the artistry provided by Clayton Crain, Angel Mediana and Sean Chen. Though stylized, the art is stunning. All the stories carry well, but I truly enjoyed the final story between Black Cat and Spidey. A great addition.
H
Jul 12, 2009 H added it
Shelves: comics-superhero
Worth it if only for Aunt May's story and Felicia Hardy's at the end. Aunt May as a character holds the type of resonance and depth that we feel when we see Martha Kent watching Superman die from her home television set in Kansas. And Felicia Hardy, the Black Cat, is the love story that almost was, which is written here with great emotional surprises.

The writing style is fabulous and well-paced. Laughed out loud several times.
Matt Anderson
Collects Sensational Spider-Man issues #28-34

This volume takes place in the midst of the "Civil War" event. Spider-Man, after the urging of the Tony Stark, unmasked for the public in the main "Civil War" issues. Now that his secret identity is common knowledge, Peter deals with life as a public superhero.

Bad news...some of his villains want to use the new knowledge of Spider-Man's secret identity against him, and the danger to him and his family appears to be stronger than ever.
Alex Ristea
My least favourite of the Civil War tie-ins that I've read so far.

We're quite far removed from the action, and these issues deal with how the people (mainly women) around Spider-man deal with his unmasking.

Didn't much care for the art or the action, and the gender politics were downright questionable at times.

Glad it's over with...on to the next we go! (And it looks like there won't be any more Spider-man after this.)
Bryan Pope
Apr 18, 2012 Bryan Pope rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a meh read. The reason that I gave it 3 stars is because out of 6 issues in this TPB collection I only really cared for 3. #28, #32 and #33. The rest didn't hold any impact on me for story telling. (Moment of clarity, this collection feels like it is supposed to be focusing on how Peter's decision is affecting those close to him. Those issues were the best stories that follow that guideline.)
Kenyatta Garcia
Aug 22, 2014 Kenyatta Garcia rated it liked it
The Chameleon and Co. storyline was interesting enough but I think there was too much Black Cat and a completely underused Puma. Aunt May and Mary Jane felt like real characters of importance and Rhino was well done. I wasn't a big fan of Spidey's iron suit suddenly disappearing but all-in-all and based mostly on its conclusion, this chapter in the Civil War saga was the best so far.
Fizzgig76
Reprints Sensational Spider-Man #28-34. Peter, Mary Jane, and Aunt May try to come to terms with Peter's unmasking and face villains seeking him out instead of Spider-Man. The stories in this collection are interesting. It was able to go a little deeper into the (short lived) "unmasking of Spider-Man", and show how Peter's secret affected others.
Mitchell
Oct 18, 2014 Mitchell rated it really liked it
I still don't get Peter Parker coming out as Spider-man. But this book is pretty good if uneven. Actually the Black Cat and Aunt May bits were the best parts. In fact most of this book was people reacting to the news. MJ having coffee with Sue Richards was also pretty good. I guess perhaps the fighting isn't the part I like.
Ernest
Jul 26, 2011 Ernest rated it liked it
Linking well with the overall Civil War storyline, the more the reader knows and followed the various stories within Civil War. Interesting for the most parts, I found myself being less interested with the issues involving the Black Cat and Liz Allen.
StoryTellerShannon
The first story was good but then it became flat focusing on Mary Jane reacting and dealing with various problems as Peter reveals himself as Spiderman to the world. A really stupid idea, by the way, as you will (thanks, Stark).

OVERALL GRADE: C plus.
heidi
Mar 08, 2013 heidi rated it it was ok
Did not enjoy this so much. Artwork could have been better. Also didn't help that Black Cat/Felicia Hardy - not my favorite of Spidey's paramours - feature prominently in the story line. That said, great to see Madam Webb for a few panels. Wish there were more of her.
Danielle T
May 17, 2016 Danielle T rated it liked it
Okay. I enjoyed the first story (some of Peter Parker's biology students the day (view spoiler)) which had gorgeous art. Aunt May is a tough cookie. The Black Cat plot was kind of meh, but maybe it'd resonate better if I read more Spider-Man comics and knew more about her...
NaomiRuth
Nov 17, 2013 NaomiRuth rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, af, series, graphic-novels
I liked this, however, I do have one complaint. What is with almost being able to see Mary Jane's butt in the cover art? I just. *sighs* Come on, guys. There's just no good reason why she can't have her shorts not falling down.
JM
Apr 09, 2016 JM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I enjoyed this work. It provides multiple sides of the ladies of Spider-Man's life. I really enjoyed Felicia Hardy/Black Cat and her story within the Civil War story arc. It's a side story, but very interesting.
Alison James
Jun 27, 2015 Alison James rated it really liked it
Deep. Makes me like Peter even more. Humble enough to admit when he does something wrong and seek to change it.
Zoe Summers
Mar 16, 2016 Zoe Summers rated it it was amazing
This reminds me why I love Peter Parker (comic version) so much
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 09, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Some of the character pieces are excellent, but that's balanced by a trio of punch-em-up issues that are only notable due to the C class villains that they spotlight.
  • Civil War: Front Line, Vol. 2
  • Civil War: Thunderbolts
  • House of M: Civil War
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • House of M: World of M, Featuring Wolverine

Spider-Man Marvel Comics (1 - 10 of 204 books)
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1