Start by marking “A Glimpse of Darkness” as Want to Read:
A Glimpse of Darkness

A Glimpse of Darkness

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  222 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
An original collaboration among five of the genre’s brightest authors, A Glimpse of Darkness is urban fantasy as it’s never been done before. Originally featured on Suvudu.com, this is Random House’s first multicontributor chain story in which the readers voted on the outcome—now published here in its entirety as a thrilling eBook.

Munira bint Azhar, the half-human daught
Published December 6th 2010 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Glimpse of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Glimpse of Darkness

Cheryl M-M
Aug 30, 2012 Cheryl M-M rated it liked it
Essentially this short story is a way for readers to taste the offerings of five scribes. A neat little marketing ploy disguised as a fantastic creative storytelling idea.
No matter what the reason, it gives readers a chance to experience and become enamoured with any or all of the talented five within the book.
The first 35% of the ebook is the short story they have written together, after that each author feaures a chapter from one of their own books.
It is an interesting concept and one that is
Tammy
May 29, 2013 Tammy rated it liked it
For a novella that was written by five different authors in a short period of time this was really very entertaining. Others have said it before me, this is a marketing ploy to get you acquainted with the authors, but it's a fun ploy and I like it.

I was surprised at how well the story hung together. There were definitely places were authors pulled things through a plothole so they could be used but I suppose that's better than just giving up because your character was written into a corner. The
Jonathan Currinn
Nov 04, 2014 Jonathan Currinn rated it really liked it
This was such a brilliant concept, idea and totally engaging. I loved the idea of different authors taking part and completing a chapter each of the same story. It worked so well and combined perfectly.

This is definitely a book like no other, and although fails to give me inspiration the way I wanted it to, it managed me to imagine things unbelievable, and I definitely was involved from the start.

I am a fan of Lara Adrian, hence the whole purpose of reading this e-book, but not only that her cha
Nov 18, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it

I was really intrigued by the idea of a short story where each chapter was written by a different author. I've heard good things about all the authors involved in the collaboration (although the only one who's work I've read before is Lara Adrian and I am a massive fan of hers) so I thought this would be a nice way of getting to try some new to me authors.

I don't want to go into too much detail about the story because it would be too easy to give spoilers but it was action packed and co
Karissa
Feb 14, 2011 Karissa rated it liked it
I was interested in reading this novella for a couple of reasons. First, I like a lot of the authors that helped write this and second, it was an interesting experiment in letting their readers pick the course of the story. So basically as a reader you got to vote on which way you wanted the story to go and the author that wrote the next chapter followed that plot direction.

This is a story about Munira, the half-human daughter of a fire djinn. She is a Retriever, someone who retrieves (aka steal
Darcy
Dec 13, 2014 Darcy rated it it was ok
I found myself more interested in the concept of this story and how it was written more than the story itself. The story wasn't bad, but just sort of meh...for me. I did like how Munira seemed to get the better of people, but didn't think the person she save was worth the effort.
Meggan Williams
Jan 06, 2015 Meggan Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great paranormal short read

Not very long but lots of twists and turns! Worth the download for time occupying read! I enjoyed the story and glimpse of the authors going to check the brothers outwardly an avid Lara Adrian fan!
Yodamom
Nov 27, 2011 Yodamom rated it liked it
It was a great idea- You take some of todays best authors and have them each write a chapter based of the precious authors chapters. Each author would twist the tale in their own special way. I had to read it, Stacia Kane one of my personal favs contributed. It was going along well, each author wrote a very interesting new twist to the main characters plot. Then it was just over ?!?!?! Yes, i know it is a novella, and short is what it is, but it could have been a really good novel. I would have ...more
Michelle Tempted By Books
Feb 10, 2016 Michelle Tempted By Books rated it did not like it
I love Lara Adrian but this was not my cup of tea.
Sarah (SB) ღ
Mar 31, 2012 Sarah (SB) ღ rated it liked it
I wish it was longer :) I picked it up in an effort to ease myself out of Downside (an absolute must read series by Stacia Kane). I really truly dislike short stories (unless it's part of something I've already read), so I was surprised to see how well it worked, how tiny and yet completely satisfying.

(view spoiler)
Darla
Apr 17, 2012 Darla rated it it was ok
This short story was interesting. I like how it had various authors working together to complete one story, with one picking up a new chapter where the last left off. That was a pretty cool concept. The story itself was ok in general though, it isn't one that will resonate with me. The characters weren't anything special either, it was just ok. Read if you want to fill a little bit of time.
Marisella
This is an interesting cohesive book, more interesting in that five authors collaborated to write a chapter each. the story came together well, all of the characters were interesting. I love the little details each author added to make the characters feel real and unique.
harlequin {Stephanie}
May 06, 2014 harlequin {Stephanie} rated it it was ok
needed character development, but that wasn't the point of the book. this was a gimmick to advertise each writers talents. it wasn't terrible, but it lacked any real substance.
Carolyn F.
Four authors write a different chapter of this book and you can tell. It wasn't horrible but it's wasn't great. So an average rating from me.
Andrea Galloway
Oct 16, 2013 Andrea Galloway rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, fav-authors
A very interesting collaboration between five different authors... the world it is set in would be really cool to read more about.
Julie
Dec 16, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Very cool and super imaginative. I LOVED how all the authors came together and wrote a very smooth and gripping story!
Sherry
Couldn't finish. Just didn't keep my intrest.To many hands in one pot. Info dump.
Andrea
Andrea added it
Aug 24, 2016
Jess Parker
Jess Parker marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Kylie Prattley
Kylie Prattley rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Elizabeth Norris-lemke
Elizabeth Norris-lemke marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Justine saulnier
Justine saulnier marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Shannon Garcia
Shannon Garcia marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Kara Pruitt
Kara Pruitt marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Heather R
Heather R marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
  • The Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 2
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • Rusted Veins (Sabina Kane, #5.5)
  • White Lion's Lady (Warrior, #1)
  • The Little Things (Red Rock Pass, #1.5)
  • Cry Baby Hollow
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Kian's Hunter (Fire, #1)
  • Full Moon City
  • The Brave Tale of Maddie Carver (Downside Ghosts #0.1)
  • The Jackson Brothers (The Jackson Brothers, #1-3)
  • Seduced By Magic (Magical Seduction, #1)
  • Algernon’s Curse (Chronicles of Brydon, #2)
  • Ladies Prefer Rogues: Four Novellas of Time-Travel Passion
  • Wild & Steamy (Includes: Iron Seas #0.4; The Disillusionists Trilogy #2.5)
  • Alpha (Nevermore, #1)
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2010
LARA ADRIAN is a New York Times and #1 internationally best-selling author with nearly 4 million books in print and digital worldwide and translations licensed to more than 20 countries. Her books have been named among Amazon’s Top Ten Romances of the Year, and have also been nominated by readers multiple times as finalists for the Goodreads Choice Award for Best Romance of the Year. Reviewers hav ...more
More about Lara Adrian...