Start by marking “Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall” as Want to Read:
Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall

Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  105 reviews
Deep inside the broom cupboard of Rose Cottage, two mice live in great style.

Published June 7th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tumtum and Nutmeg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tumtum and Nutmeg

Kim
I just finished reading this with my daughter and we both loved it. This is perhaps one of the best new books for emerging readers. What is not to love, two mice, two disheveled children and three adventures. My daughter laughed out loud with the antics of the Great General Marchmouse.
Eva Mitnick
These are actuall three stories, each about a long-married mouse couple named Mr. and Mrs. Nutmouse who live in extraordinary comfort and even luxury in a large manor house (mouse-sized) in the long-forgotten and blocked-off broom closet of a small and somewhat decrepit cottage. Two children, Lucy and her little brother Arthur, live there along with their poor and absentminded father - and Nutmeg (for so Mr. Nutmouse calls his wife for the exotic color of her fur) and Tumtum (named by Nutmeg for ...more
Linnae
Tumtum and Nutmeg are two rather well-to-do mice who live in an abandoned broom cupboard (Nutmouse Hall) at Rose Cottage. Their adventures begin when they decide that the 2 human children in the cottage could use some extra help. Arthur and Lucy live with their widowed father, who spends most of his time inventing things and very little time at all caring for them. So the mice begin to darn socks, fix radiators, and other little jobs. The children think they have a good fairy on their side.

Then
Kshotwell
I read this as a read-aloud to my 3 kids, ages 9, 7 and 4.
These are 3 adventures in the tiny world of 2 cultured mice and the host family they live with. The children are incidental as are the adults, the real characters are Tumtum and Nutmeg, the lovely mice who live in a mansion built inside Rose Cottage, a dilapitated home.
Very silly and pleasant with enough adventure and preposterous scenarios to engage all ages.
We will be reading more of Tumtum and Nutmeg.
Katie Boggs
Cute new children's book, with similarities to Mary Norton's The Borrowers and Beatrix Potter. My only complaint: WHY does one of the villains have to smoke?! It is irrelevant to the story and would make me think twice about which child I recommended it to.
Mary
I would have rated this hight, but the story would be great for 2nd and 3rd graders but the reading level, length of book and size of type are for at least 4th graders. I would make a great read-aloud though.
Anna
This is a kiddie book I borrowed from my sister...it was like a cross between _The Wind in the Willows_ and _The Borrowers_. Cute, cleverly written, and entertaining. A relaxing read!
Joshua D.
"Deep inside the broom cupboard of Rose Cottage, two mice live in great style. Tumtum and Nutmeg lead cozy and quiet lives, secretly looking after Arthur and Lucy, the disheveled human children of the cottage, never dreaming that so many exciting adventures will soon find them. But when evil Aunt Ivy, a squeamish schoolteacher named Miss Short, and pirating pond rats threaten the safety of those they hold dear, the courageous pair will stop at nothing to save the day." (from the back cover)

Far a
Becky
I definitely enjoyed Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall. Did I enjoy all three adventures equally? I'm not sure I can say that I did. The book contains three adventures--perhaps the first three adventures--of Mr. and Mrs. Nutmouse: Tumtum & Nutmeg, The Great Escape, and The Pirates' Treasure. Tumtum and Nutmeg are the nicknames this husband and wife have for one another. He is Tumtum. She is Nutmeg. The mice live in Nutmouse Hall, and Nutmouse Hall itself is in a closet (of s ...more
Logan
This is really three Tumtum & Nutmeg (T&N) books in one and comes in at 502 pages! The adventures these two mice have were fun to read and Logan really got into the edge-of-your-seat romp. T&N live in a broom closet in a house. There, they have a large house and live a kind of retro British life there. Unlike the Borrowers, they don't use human things for miniature furnishings. All their furnishings appear to have been made small. I missed that matchbox-as-a-bed ingenuity, but it was ...more
Xyra
This book held three adventures in one volume. Each adventure was between 160 and 180 pages. A good long read for young readers.

I am a big fan of books with animals as the main characters. Emily Bearn creates an interesting world for her characters. Normal and fantastic at the same time.

Book one introduces us to The Nutmouses, [hmmm, should that be Nutmice? :-)] Tumtum and his wife Nutmeg, and their human family, the Mildews. Mr. Mildew is an inventor and single father with two children, Arthur
Allison
Bearn, Emily Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall pgs. 512 Little, Brown Young Readers Language~G, Sexual Content~G; Violence~G

Bearn, in an attempt to bring to readers new stories in the style of Wind in the Willows and the Tales of Beatrix Potter, fails to capture the charm and staying power of those classics.

Tumtum and Nutmeg are a gentle mice couple who live in the broom closet of Rose Cottage. The humans who live in Rose Cottage consist of a single father who is an eccentric i
Amanda
7/10. Tumtum and Nutmeg was published in 2009 but has a very classic feel about it. I felt that it got off to a slow start but my two girls made no complaints. Once it got on it's way (about the 4th chapter) it was very endearing, loads of fun and had my girls busting up laughing. All of us enjoyed reading about the antics of General Marchmouse above anyone else in the book. I liked Tumtum and Nutmeg's admirable qualities but they would have been rather dull without the children or the General t ...more
Christina
3.5 Stars. The first three novels in the Tumtum and Nutmeg Series: "Tumtum and Nutmeg", "The Great Escape" and "The Pirates' Treasure" in one volume. The stories follow the adventures of a pair of married mice who watch over a pair of poor children who live with an absent-minded father. The mice do things for the children and leave them letters in the guise of a fairy. The first novel was the strongest, with the latter two relying on the character faults of the pompous General Marchmouse to driv ...more
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: We tried to read this to our daughter several times over a year's time. When we finally did start reading it, she lost interest in those first 100 pages, claiming that she knew how it would end.

Adult Reader Reaction: I was disappointed that my daughter didn't stay around for the whole story. I kept reading and thoroughly enjoyed the book. It reminded me a bit of Stuart Little and The Nutcracker Suite. The characters are fun (even over-the-top Aunt Ivy), there are some humo
Ava
I loved the book from front to back. I love how the go on so many adventures. My favorite part is when TumTum and Nutmeg attack the kids aunt that isn't one bit nice. The journey starts off in Nutmouse hall. One part I remember 100% is when TumTum gets poisned by eating some food. (Ill let you find out what food) Nutmeg sets off to find the doctor. Later on in the story the kids notice something different in the office so the wrote a note to see if the unknown thing responds (the unknown thing i ...more
Mary
This is a lovely collection of 3 stories - Tumtum and Nutmeg, The Great Escape,and The Pirates' Treasure - concerning two mice living in Rose Cottage and their various adventures. It's very sweet and cozy and charming. Very English.
Oceane Novacek
This book is too adorable for words and it's one of the books that got me into reading. I read it over and over again as a child, and now I love to read it just for the memories. Every child should read this book.
Christiane
A happily married mouse couple live in the secret broom cupboard of a cottage and take care of the two children living there with their preoccupied, inventor father. In this first collection, Tumtum and Nutmeg battle an evil Aunt (who buys mouse poison!), have an adventure with savage gerbils, and are captured by pirate rats. This would make a charming read-aloud for families who like The Borrowers, the Freddy the Pig books, or any old-fashioned feeling story. It is well written with just enough ...more
Meisbres
Daring military campaigns! Terrifying pirate encounters! Inspiring prisoner rescues! These are only a few of the exploits contained in Tumtum & Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall by Emily Bearn. From this you might get the idea that Nutmeg and Tumtum are daring thrill seekers. However, you couldn't be further from the truth. They are just two mice who wish to live a quiet existence in their comfortably furnished house. Instead, mouse-sized adventure seems to follow them wherever they go ...more
Mizuki Asano
I LOVE this book!!!!!
This book is the best next to Divergent and Harry Potter!!!
Cynthia
Loved this collection! Great read alike for Beatrix Potter fans.
Amy
Henry gives this 5 stars. He loved it!
Momma
it was not as good as i hoped.
Rick Stuckwisch
Sweet collection of stories. A pleasant and enjoyable read. Aimed at a somewhat younger audience than I'm normally reading to my listeners, but it seemed to hold their attention and interest well enough, all the way up to the 15 and 18 year olds.
Cindy
We seem to be on a rodent theme recently. The 7 and 9 year olds loved this book, as did Mom. They loved the multiple cliff-hangers and trying to figure out what was going to happen next.
Libriar
I was really pulled into the stories of Tumtum and Nutmeg. They had some great adventures and the stories moved along at a great pace. Having said that, I usually don't read children's books about the adventures of talking animals so I don't have much to compare it to. I think this would be a great book for a parent to read-aloud to a child. The only real fault is the length of the book...although it's three separate stories, the large number of pages might turn some readers away.
Morgan
I read the first installment of this edition entitled Tumtum and Nutmeg. This is an example of quality children's literature for the youngest of readers and listeners. It is a clearly written story with a beginning, middle and ending; which is also a resolution to a problem. The vocabulary is wide yet manageable. The story is cute, the characters are adorable, and it all brings about a feeling of satisfaction.
Michelle
An absolutely wonderful book to read aloud with my boys. It had adventure and charm which made my boys run upstairs for "Tumtum and Nutmeg time!" each night. They are not ready for the heft of the Harry Potter series but this was perfect. I was also thrilled with the beauty and richness of the vocabulary. My boys never realized that when we talked about the words and what we read, they were learning. Perfect!
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • Secrets at Sea
  • Freddy Goes to Florida
  • Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #1)
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • Auntie Claus and the Key to Christmas
  • Henry Reed's Journey
  • Summer School! What Genius Thought That Up?
  • Lost in Lexicon: An Adventure in Words and Numbers
  • Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse
  • Hands Around the Library: Protecting Egypt’s Treasured Books
  • Fancy Nancy: Too Many Tutus (I Can Read, Level1)
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • Pretzel
  • Tua and the Elephant
Emily Bearn was born in London, and has been a journalist since the age of 20 when she joined the staff of Harpers & Queen magazine. She then worked for a year as a diary reporter on The Times, before becoming a feature writer on the Sunday Telegraph. She became freelance in 2005 following the birth of her daughter, Freya.

The idea for the Tumtum and Nutmeg books was sparked one evening when, w
More about Emily Bearn...

Tumtum and Nutmeg (7 books)
  • Tumtum and Nutmeg: The First Adventure
  • The Great Escape
  • Pirates' Treasure (Tumtum and Nutmeg)
  • A Christmas Adventure (Tumtum And Nutmeg)
  • A Seaside Adventure (Tumtum And Nutmeg)
  • A Circus Adventure
  • Trouble at Rose Cottage
Tumtum and Nutmeg: The First Adventure Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg, #4-6) The Great Escape Tumtum and Nutmeg (Tumtum & Nutmeg) Pirates' Treasure (Tumtum and Nutmeg)