Start by marking “The Heavenly Surrender” as Want to Read:
The Heavenly Surrender

The Heavenly Surrender

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  1,736 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
Genieva Bankmans had willfully agreed to the arrangement. She had given her word and she would not dishonor it. But when she saw, for the first time, the man whose advertisement she had answered…she was desperately intimidated. The handsome and commanding Brevan McLean was not what she had expected. He was not the sort of man she had reconciled herself to marrying.

This man
Published November 10th 2010 by Distractions Ink (first published March 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Heavenly Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heavenly Surrender

Anneliese Bennion
I read this book every year. I just get in a mood for it. I can't say it's some marvel of English writing and character development. I can say that it is one of the most delightful books I have ever read. It makes me smile all the way through. Marcia Lynn McClure knows how to write romance - good clean romance. And I love her for it. She writes the scenes that you want to read over and over. Her books are just wonderful. I love The Heavenly Surrender because of the storyline. I love the whole ma ...more
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
November 2011: I had to bump my rating up to a 4. It seems like I enjoy her books more the second time around. This was a sweet story and I really liked Genieva and Brevan.

May 2010: I think my expectations may have been a little high for this one. I thought the plot sounded fun and I’ve grown to love the old western setting. I just couldn’t get past the (sorry to say) awful Spanish and Irish accents. Brevan (as well as Brian & Brenna) sounded like an Irish Yoda. Their way of speaking just d
Zoe
Jul 07, 2016 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really think I am an oddball. This book didn't seem "authentic" to me. I can't like something that doesn't ring true to me. The characters say the most pretentious things.

I was confused with all the B-characters: Brevan, Brenna, and Brain. I stopped tracking who I was reading about and just went with the story. I suppose Brevan isn't a bad character, nor is the heroine whose name I already forgot. But we don't get to hear Brevan's thoughts all that much or imagine how he must feel like from o
Melody Cox
Jul 29, 2013 Melody Cox rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Boy was I excited to get this book and man oh man was I ever in for a huge disappointment. So many things wrong in this story, too many to name.

Brevan McLean was no real man. He kept secrets from his wife and in doing so placed her in danger because she was unaware. He was a cruel husband and he abused her, not physically but mentally and emotionally. I felt very uncomfortable with the secret relationship between Lita and Brevan. It gave me the creeps and was so unfair to his new wife. Something
kate
Sep 10, 2013 kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So lets see. Geneiva runs away from home to escape an arranged marriage. She becomes a mail order bride. From the moment Brevan sees her he puts her down and ridicules her. He works her like a dog and is emotionally and verbally abusive to her. In addition he refuses to have sex with her. Pray tell what was the other guy like? Plus he is has a morbid attraction to his sister in law. And no I don't buy the explanation as to why. When her family showed up I was hoping she would go home with them. ...more
Katie W
Jul 26, 2010 Katie W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Marcia book I read and of course, one of my favorites. I love the marriage of convenience plot. The relationship the siblings has is great and I love how accepting they all are of Genieva. Even though this shows a flaw, I love Genieva's little jealous streaks that cause her to rant and throw a fit. I usually enjoy reading this in March (Irish??), but decided to read it in April this time, since that's when the story starts. I can totally picture the pond, the orchards, the farm ...more
Ashley
Feb 20, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I have ever been so angry with a book! Well, at least where the anger is towards the main characters. The hero in this book is brute, a self righteous bully. Geesh! They were supposed to start liking each other at some point! The arguments were supposed to be petty and funny! This was one of the most depressing books I have ever read. He treated her awful! I wouldn't recommend this book or ever read it again. It had great potential, but was just way too serious and hurtful for my t ...more
Rachel
Aug 15, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book by Marcia Lynn McClure that I ever read and I loved it. A mail-order bride is such a fun idea. This is where I discovered that romance could be enjoyable and there was an author out there who could write it without sex and without preaching to me about something. This will always be a favorite.
Aoi
Oct 19, 2014 Aoi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF

Sooo bland. I didn't mind the constant "will ya"s, but when it came to introducing husband in the 18th century as "love muffin", it's time to jump ship.
Kathy
Apr 22, 2010 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Another wonderful good clean romance by Marcia McClure. I ended up staying up until 2:30 to finish this book because there was no good place to stop.
Maren
Jul 27, 2013 Maren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This was my first taste of Marcia Lynn McClure. I can see why people like her books. This one was full of romantical situations and cuteness galore. I usually hate written accents, but Brevan's was endearing. There was also some hilarious dialogue. And I love that the word "bum" was used so frequently.

However this book sometimes became groan-inducing instead of dreamy sigh-inducing. For instance, there were WAY too many kissing scenes. Reading about other people kissing just isn't that interesti
Amy
Mar 05, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay I have to say that I've become a little obsessed with this woman's books. It's not that they are great literature or even very original, but reading them makes me smile. They are clean and there is a lot of kissing (which I like). I've read many of her books now and they are very similar in characters and plot, but just fun reads for me. The romance is cheesy, and there are editorial errors that bug me, but for some reason I want to read them all. So if you are in the mood for a clean, fun, ...more
Heather
I really enjoyed this book and laughed out loud at several parts and loved the humorous bantering and silliness with the sister, brother and in-laws toward Brevan. Marcia did that SO well that I was in tears laughing along with them being silly when Brevan was so serious! Loved that!! I thought the "getting rid of the bad guy" wrap up she always does at the end of her books was one of the more interesting, believable senerios of hers.
mary Ethington
Apr 23, 2008 mary Ethington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! it's clean which can be hard to find in love stories, and it is one of those books that makes you giddy with the interaction. A lot of her books follow the same story line, but I love this one. I have read most of this author's books and even though I usually know what is going to happen, I love reading them!
Nouna1725
Oct 18, 2013 Nouna1725 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book made no sense at all. Why didn't he tell her about Lita? Why didn't they engage the authorities? And the hero was just awful.. I did not like him or the heroin I skipped 50 of the book. It was just so boring.
McKenzie
Jul 11, 2008 McKenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves marcia lynn mcclure
Recommended to McKenzie by: brittney weston
i LOVED this book!!! OMGosh. it was so cute and it had some way funny parts in it. like the time when genieva poured the cake batter over brevan...i thought that was the cutest thing. oh i totally recommend this book to any girl!!!
Lynette
Feb 01, 2008 Lynette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friend, Alicia, introduced me to this book. It's the one I read when I need romance in my life. ;) It's a really great romantic comedy with clean melt you like butter kisses.
Valerie Waters
Jul 06, 2013 Valerie Waters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute book! Brevan of course was AWESOME!! I did feel like I was back in California with the Mexicans spouting out Spanish words every other sentence.
Tia
Apr 02, 2008 Tia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually this really is one of my favorite Marcia books. I had to change my review seeing as how I just read this book again...for like the sixth time! Some of my favorite kissing scenes...
Stacey Hall
Dec 20, 2010 Stacey Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brevan and Genieva are so fun! I loved how she knew how to push his buttons and rile that temper!! Such great kissing scenes too!!!
Marybeth
Apr 23, 2008 Marybeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marybeth by: Katrina
Oh my gosh!! Loved this book! Can I tell you how much I love this author!! A CLEAN romance novelist is a rare thing! Fun and keeps ya hooked!
Melanie
Mar 24, 2008 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like to call these books by Marcia Lynn McClure my Chick Lit! These books are easy reads but they always make me laugh. I'm a sucker for the whole Damsel in distress thing.
Kathryn
May 09, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Becky
Mar 04, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to have a fun escape!
Recommended to Becky by: Deena Wriggly
My Relief Society President gave me this book. I was totally turned off by the 80's looking cover, but in desperation to read something I picked it up and actually read the whole thing in a day. It's a romance taking place in the country on a farm back in I'd say early 1900's. It is about a handsome Irish farmer who puts an ad for a hard working wife and gets to everyones surprise a sassy young lass. It is predictable as all get out, but an easy fun read. That gets your heart racing at times and ...more
Kristen
Jul 22, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
10/20/14 - Re-read of this one, still fun and romantic.

6/27/13 - Needed my weekly dose of McClure. Mystery, romance-a-plenty, hot cowboy, great read.

9/8/12 - An Irish cowboy and a marriage of convenience. A great story.

Moral Note: Illegitimate children, attempted rape several times, not graphic, passionate kisses.
Beata
Sometimes I am in a mood for Marcia Lynn McClure romance. They are clean, sweet and extremely romantic. A fairy-tale for woman. :) I really enjoyed The Heavenly Surrender. It is cute and it has some funny parts in it! And I love it that Genieva ISN'T an exceptional beauty!
TJ
Sep 16, 2009 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable book! The writing is wonderful, I just couldn't quite believe an incredibly handsome husband and a sweet pretty wife who were very attracted to each other could live together for months and months and never consummate the marriage.
Lisa
Jan 14, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm tempted to give this two stars. I mean, really, how many times did Brevan need to be stabbed and Genieva assaulted before someone - anyone - decided to go after Cruz?! Apparently quite a few. Definitely a few too many!
Brenda
Yeah, I knew where the whole marriage of convenience thing was heading,...and yeah, I knew who would get it in the end,... but yeah, I love a book with steamy kisses and falling in love :)
Jen Black
Jan 29, 2008 Jen Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any hopeless romantic
I'm a romantic and this one was just for me. It's the only one I've read of hers so far, but plan on reading more. It's all about the kiss!
Marcia Lynn McClu...: Signed Copy of The Heavenly Surrender 2 17 Sep 29, 2011 09:22PM
  • Jayhawk
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • The Kissing Tree
  • Courting Miss Lancaster (The Lancaster Family #2)
  • Loyalty's Web (Poitevin Hearts, #1)
  • Marian's Christmas Wish
  • The List
  • Before the Dawn
  • Wanted Man, A
  • Towers of Brierley
  • Captive Heart
  • Montana Summer
  • Hearts Through Time
Born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Marcia Lynn McClure grew up influenced by the reminiscent stories of rugged, rural Colorado farm life fascinatingly recounted to her by her parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts…tales of runaway buckboards, mule-drawn plows and dust pneumonia; verbalized images of stream-flooded meadows, frozen over in winter, where a child could peer through the crystal clear ic ...more
More about Marcia Lynn McClure...

“People like to think the worst. They like to have hushed gossip sessions and point their fingers at someone's problems that are more obvious than their own.” 72 likes
“He's magnificent!" Maureen sighed, walking to the window and watching Brevan saunter toward the barn.

"He is not a horse, Maury," Genieva reminded.”
2 likes