Start by marking “L'ultima spiaggia” as Want to Read:
L'ultima spiaggia

L'ultima spiaggia

'One lazy grey afternoon, as I was sitting in my studio, my imagination, apparently angry at being ignored, took a holiday - and never returned.'On an afternoon like any other, an artist's imagination abruptly disappears - and never returns. His quest to recover it leads him to The Last Resort, a remote seaside hotel inhabited by some extraordinary guests. As he searches f ...more
Published 2005 by La Margherita (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about L'ultima spiaggia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'ultima spiaggia

Joan
Jun 20, 2016 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This falls in the category of "Children's Picture Books That Adults Will Savor and Appreciate More Than Kids." I have also never seen any book where the illustrator gets top billing over the author, but that is the case here. Roberto Innocenti is the fabulous illustrator. I urge anyone reading this review to find this book in the children's section of the library and read it.

I won't even mention that the text takes you on a journey through several classic books that I doubt many children would u
Sasha
Jan 14, 2016 Sasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, fantasy, 2016
An absolutely gorgeous oversize picture book filled with enchanting art and whimsical poetry. On top of it all, it's peppered with literary references that are fun for adults to pick out (and discover explained at the end of the book for those who wouldn't immediately recognize Emily Dickinson. So, me). I had to stop shelving and sit and read it in its entirety - and it has a lot of text for a picture book, so it took a second, all the while eyeing the security cameras and trying to make interna ...more
Cindi
Dec 10, 2008 Cindi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love, love this illustrator!

I toggle back and forth on a rating for this book. I read it through and thought that a lot of it was just weird. Then I got to the back and saw how the author and illustrator had tied together several writers/artists/etc. into the story. I wasn't familiar with all of them, nor some of the details of their lives that landed them in this story. Now as I think back over the book, I think it's pretty amazing and would probably take a few reads to think it all through.

It'
Chiara Tinelli
Mar 15, 2016 Chiara Tinelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, art
L'albergo incantato

L'Ultima Spiaggia è un albergo speciale in riva all'oceano, dove si riuniscono una serie di personaggi tutti alla ricerca di qualcosa che hanno (o pensano di avere) perduto.
Seguiamo Roberto, l'artista, che si lascia guidare lì dalla sua Renault per ritrovare la propria ispirazione.
Con lui all'albergo ci sono anche un marinaio sciancato in cerca di tesori, una diafana ragazza attratta dalla luna, un uomo in bianco e nero che ama scrivere ed un commissario ossessionato dagli ind
Linda
This is a book for older middle grade or middle-school-aged children. It is whimsical, mysterious, and delightful. The illustrations carry the tale, with a few hints in the wonderful words of J. Patrick Lewis. A man leaves on a journey. It seems he’s lost his imagination, in his words “apparently angry at being ignored, took a holiday—and never returned”. What a journey of imagination he takes, at an eccentric inn where there are rather familiar characters. It will be fun to see if students rec ...more
Caitlin W.
An imaginative tale of looking for lost imagination, The Last Resort is surprisingly complex, and may be too complicated for younger readers although it is a picture book. There are also cameos from famous characters and authors, and thankfully, an index of them on the last few pages of the book, as some of them might not be immediately familiar to the reader from the hints in the text and pictures. Even without knowledge of the allusions, the characters are interesting enough. There is a boy th ...more
Jeffrey
Jun 06, 2012 Jeffrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Illustration Afficianados
Robert Innocenti's The Last Resort is chocked full of whimsical story ideas, rich literary allusions, enchanting language, and delightful illustrations. In fact, the wonderful illustrations left me feeling like I was reading a cross between Chris Van Allsburg and David Wiesner. They are that good.

But when I closed the pages, I had no idea what the story was that I had just read. I wanted to get it because the illustrations were so wonderful and the story seemed very smart, but no. I was just con
Fabulantes
Jul 31, 2014 Fabulantes rated it it was amazing
Reseña: http://www.fabulantes.com/2012/06/el-...
"Dejan con la boca abierta los detalles que salpican cada una de las viñetas, que gozan del estado de lienzos. El ojo de Innocenti no pasa una sola cosa y todos los objetos, los puntos de vista, los escenarios, están estudiados al milímetro. Así es como la historia que nos propone se enriquece y cobra también vida propia. Cómo parece soltarse de la mano del ilustrador y dar sus propios pasos. Cómo parece suspirar por esa inspiración perdida, y conf
Don Lloyd
Apr 30, 2008 Don Lloyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a beautifully illustrated book. On the surface, the book is about loss of creativity (writer's block), but it addresses this by taking a holiday of the imagination through many recognizable characters. It's a seemingly simple narrative, but it's easy to find additional levels of meaning on successive readings and the book rewards those who take the time to carefully examine all of Innocenti's detailed watercolors.
Kallisti
Jul 11, 2012 Kallisti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Whimsical, poetic, dazzling. a dreamy search for the inward-eye. (Told the Truth and told it slant....enthralling celebration of classic literature.) I love it and will look for more Innocenti/Lewis collaborations.
Relyn
Jun 06, 2012 Relyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dreamers and writers and book lovers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love the illustrator.
It is rare that a children's book gives the illustrator higher billing than the author. In this case, the book is Roberto Innocenti's imagination and features his dream-awakening illustrations. The author, J. Patrick Lewis simply lent his words. What a wonderful chore that would be.
Patrick
It's pretty good. cool art, some good jokes. It's very creative, but you can tell it's a 70-yr-old creative guy rather than a younger guy. The characters and references are a bit dated. It was short and fun. The story with pictures is fun to read.
Miguel
Aug 27, 2016 Miguel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Nunca han sentido que pierden su imaginación? Es esta la historia de un pintor que sintió su imaginación y la redescubrió al pasar unos días en un hotel junto al mar conviviendo con personajes que todos reconoceremos. Un libro entrañable y bellamente ilustrado. Para leer en familia.
Elizabeth Ferry
I enjoyed the illustrations more than the story which was ok. I loved the way the illustrator used perspective - getting neat angles from above, etc.
Jennybeast
Mar 02, 2011 Jennybeast rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an odd little find in the picture books -- a flight of fancy that reminds me best of alice in wonderland and a little of Shaun Tan.
Alison Lake
Apr 30, 2011 Alison Lake rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the strangest book. I thought it would be cool because the characters are supposed to mirror characters from literature...but it was just weird and confusing.
Alexandra
Mar 16, 2013 Alexandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Beautiful illustrations, and I did like the story but it seemed a little repetitive at times. I didn't want it to be longer- but I suppose I was expecting something more than the tidbit I got.
Sep 30, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
So deliciously weird and literate. Much of it well above my boys' heads, but as long as I'm the only one of us three who can really read, I'm gonna call at least some of the shots.
pierlapo  quimby
Nov 15, 2010 pierlapo quimby rated it liked it
Questo libro andrebbe giudicato dalla qualità delle illustrazioni, delicate e leggere come l'atmosfera fatata che pure la storiella di Lewis sa evocare.
Dorothée
Dorothée rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2011
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2012
Dean Duncan
Dean Duncan rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Gloria Faoro
Gloria Faoro rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Mathias
Mathias rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Brigitte Moreau
Brigitte Moreau rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2012
Christina Broome
Christina Broome rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2013
jenna nims
jenna nims rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2009
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Octopus
Octopus rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2014
Alexandria
Alexandria rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2016
  • The Princess Who Had No Kingdom
  • Nothing Ever Happens On 90th Street
  • Waiting for Winter
  • Bunny Days
  • The Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (In the Kitchen!): Hiding Healthy Foods in Hearty Meals Any Guy Will Love
J. Patrick Lewis is the current Children's Poet Laureate. He has written more than seventy children's books, including Once Upon a Tomb: Gravely Humorous Verses. J. Patrick Lewis lives in Ohio.
More about J. Patrick Lewis...

“I have always believed that poems beg to be read aloud, even if the reader is in a world all her own.” 5 likes