Start by marking “L'ultima spiaggia” as Want to Read:
L'ultima spiaggia

L'ultima spiaggia

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  20 reviews
'One lazy grey afternoon, as I was sitting in my studio, my imagination, apparently angry at being ignored, took a holiday - and never returned.'On an afternoon like any other, an artist's imagination abruptly disappears - and never returns. His quest to recover it leads him to The Last Resort, a remote seaside hotel inhabited by some extraordinary guests. As he searches f...more
Published 2005 by La Margherita (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about L'ultima spiaggia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'ultima spiaggia

Linda
This is a book for older middle grade or middle-school-aged children. It is whimsical, mysterious, and delightful. The illustrations carry the tale, with a few hints in the wonderful words of J. Patrick Lewis. A man leaves on a journey. It seems he’s lost his imagination, in his words “apparently angry at being ignored, took a holiday—and never returned”. What a journey of imagination he takes, at an eccentric inn where there are rather familiar characters. It will be fun to see if students rec...more
Cindi
Love, love this illustrator!

I toggle back and forth on a rating for this book. I read it through and thought that a lot of it was just weird. Then I got to the back and saw how the author and illustrator had tied together several writers/artists/etc. into the story. I wasn't familiar with all of them, nor some of the details of their lives that landed them in this story. Now as I think back over the book, I think it's pretty amazing and would probably take a few reads to think it all through.

It'...more
Caitlin W.
An imaginative tale of looking for lost imagination, The Last Resort is surprisingly complex, and may be too complicated for younger readers although it is a picture book. There are also cameos from famous characters and authors, and thankfully, an index of them on the last few pages of the book, as some of them might not be immediately familiar to the reader from the hints in the text and pictures. Even without knowledge of the allusions, the characters are interesting enough. There is a boy th...more
Jeffrey
Jun 06, 2012 Jeffrey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Illustration Afficianados
Robert Innocenti's The Last Resort is chocked full of whimsical story ideas, rich literary allusions, enchanting language, and delightful illustrations. In fact, the wonderful illustrations left me feeling like I was reading a cross between Chris Van Allsburg and David Wiesner. They are that good.

But when I closed the pages, I had no idea what the story was that I had just read. I wanted to get it because the illustrations were so wonderful and the story seemed very smart, but no. I was just con...more
Fabulantes
Reseña: http://www.fabulantes.com/2012/06/el-...
"Dejan con la boca abierta los detalles que salpican cada una de las viñetas, que gozan del estado de lienzos. El ojo de Innocenti no pasa una sola cosa y todos los objetos, los puntos de vista, los escenarios, están estudiados al milímetro. Así es como la historia que nos propone se enriquece y cobra también vida propia. Cómo parece soltarse de la mano del ilustrador y dar sus propios pasos. Cómo parece suspirar por esa inspiración perdida, y conf...more
Robin
Nice illustrations. Confusing story.
Don Lloyd
Apr 30, 2008 Don Lloyd rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a beautifully illustrated book. On the surface, the book is about loss of creativity (writer's block), but it addresses this by taking a holiday of the imagination through many recognizable characters. It's a seemingly simple narrative, but it's easy to find additional levels of meaning on successive readings and the book rewards those who take the time to carefully examine all of Innocenti's detailed watercolors.
Relyn
Jun 06, 2012 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dreamers and writers and book lovers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love the illustrator.
It is rare that a children's book gives the illustrator higher billing than the author. In this case, the book is Roberto Innocenti's imagination and features his dream-awakening illustrations. The author, J. Patrick Lewis simply lent his words. What a wonderful chore that would be.
Patrick
It's pretty good. cool art, some good jokes. It's very creative, but you can tell it's a 70-yr-old creative guy rather than a younger guy. The characters and references are a bit dated. It was short and fun. The story with pictures is fun to read.
Eris

Whimsical, poetic, dazzling. a dreamy search for the inward-eye. (Told the Truth and told it slant....enthralling celebration of classic literature.) I love it and will look for more Innocenti/Lewis collaborations.
Alexandra
Beautiful illustrations, and I did like the story but it seemed a little repetitive at times. I didn't want it to be longer- but I suppose I was expecting something more than the tidbit I got.
So deliciously weird and literate. Much of it well above my boys' heads, but as long as I'm the only one of us three who can really read, I'm gonna call at least some of the shots.
Alison Lake
This was the strangest book. I thought it would be cool because the characters are supposed to mirror characters from literature...but it was just weird and confusing.
pierlapo  quimby
Questo libro andrebbe giudicato dalla qualità delle illustrazioni, delicate e leggere come l'atmosfera fatata che pure la storiella di Lewis sa evocare.
Elizabeth Ferry
I enjoyed the illustrations more than the story which was ok. I loved the way the illustrator used perspective - getting neat angles from above, etc.
Jennybeast
What an odd little find in the picture books -- a flight of fancy that reminds me best of alice in wonderland and a little of Shaun Tan.
Becky
Roberto Innocenti does stuff with dramatic and moody lighting that other artists only dream about.
Kayla
for very advanced readers. it was too dense and weird, I couldn't finish it.
Genevieve Rose
Sunday night, Steelers just lost to Broncos, Dad read this book to me and Mommy
J.L.
The illustrations were incredible. The text was kind of confusing.
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Tivymitchellyahoo.com
Tivymitchellyahoo.com marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Sh Park
Sh Park marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
J. Patrick Lewis is the current Children's Poet Laureate. He has written more than seventy children's books, including Once Upon a Tomb: Gravely Humorous Verses. J. Patrick Lewis lives in Ohio.
More about J. Patrick Lewis...
Please Bury Me in the Library Last Laughs: Animal Epitaphs National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar! Spot the Plot: A Riddle Book of Book Riddles Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems

“I have always believed that poems beg to be read aloud, even if the reader is in a world all her own.” 5 likes