Start by marking “Murder in Plain Sight” as Want to Read:
Murder in Plain Sight

Murder in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  796 ratings  ·  88 reviews

Did a sweet-faced Amish teenager brutally murder a young woman? To save her career, big-city lawyer Jessica Langdon is determined to defend him--against the community's bitter and even violent outrage. Yet without an understanding of Amish culture, Jessica must rely on arrogant businessman Trey Morgan, who has ties to the Amish community... and believes in the boy's guilt.
Published December 1st 2010 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Plain Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Plain Sight

Brenda
Jessica Langdon a junior associate in her law firm, knows her job is hanging by a thread. When she is called into the office of one of the senior partners, she thinks she is about to be fired, instead he tells her she has been requested to handle a case in which an Amish boy has been accused of murder. The Morgan family, specifically Geneva Morgan, is funding the case, while most of the community believes Thomas Esch is guilty, Geneva believes in his innocence. Trey Morgan, Geneva's son doesn't ...more
Kelly Hager
Jessica is a struggling lawyer at a prestigious Philadelphia firm. She's more unlucky than bad at her job, but still, she's on pretty thin ice. Then she's sent to Lancaster County to defend an Amish teenager accused of murder. She's supposed to accept a plea bargain, but she becomes convinced her client's innocent. She starts receiving threatening notes and, of course, there's this guy...

This was a really fun read. You'll pretty much see every twist coming (I called the killer in advance--maybe
Sally
While I am not a huge fan of straight romance novels, add a little murder and mystery and I'm right there.

A young Amish man is accused of murdering an "English" woman. The case looks like a sure thing for the DA. A friend of the Amish family hires a Philadelphia law firm to represent the Amish man. Believing they only need an attorney to work out a plea bargain, the less-favored lawyer, Jessica, is sent to take care of the task. But Jessica finds that the case isn't as open and shut as it appea
Roxanne Rustand
WONDERFUL author...and this is another wonderful book by her! Marta Perry is an automatic buy for me. Highly recommended--it has a great, edge-of-your-seat romantic suspense twist on the contemporary Amish theme that is so popular these days. I'm being very careful not to give anything away, here, but it will be on my keeper shelf!
Naomi
I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and a great read. Basically, reminded me a tad bit of Plain Truth, but that was solely based on the Amish connection and murder. It ended there. I will def. be checking out more MYSTERIES from this author, as she is a romance writer turned mystery writer!
Andrea Guy
Marta Perry proves once again that she's one of the best voices in Amish fiction. She captures the feelings of the Amish quite well, as she does with her other books about the culture, but she really works the "Englisch" into this story with credibility.

Jessica is a Philly lawyer that is used to big cities, like Boston and Baltimore. She isn't really familiar with Lancaster County and the Amish, even though Philly is only about an hour and a half away. As she seeks to help with the accuseds defe
Lorie
Murder in Plain Sight by Marta Perry is a book that I recently read through NetGalley. I was given a copy of the book to review for the publisher, Harlequin Books. The book centers on a teenaged Amish boy named Thomas Esch, who is accused of brutally murdering a young woman named Cherry. The town of Springfield has already decided he is guilty before he even has a trial. Geneva Morgan believes in his innocence and decides to hire a lawyer from a big firm in Philadelphia. Jessica Langdon, a young ...more
Jodie
Murder in Plain Sight by Marta Perry is a story of a young attorney from Philadelphia. Jessica Langdon is assigned this "easy" case in order to re-establish herself within the firm. Plead the case and get back to Philadelphia or be fired are the orders from her boss. She is assigned the case of Thomas Esch, a young Amish man, accused of murder. Once Jessica arrives in Lancaster and meets Thomas, she knows she can't just leave him to be lost in the legal system. With the Morgan family, a very pro ...more
Janie  R.
An excellent Amish suspense story! Marta Perry kept me guessing on who the "bad guy" was, just when I thought I knew who it was,lol. I liked all the characters in the story. Some of my favorites was Jessica-she was tough,didn't backed down on doing what she thought was the right thing to do,even at the expense of losing her job,and death threating incidents. I think I chewed all my nails, by the time I finished the book!
I loved Geneva-a person who gave unconditional love-she always made a pers
Abbie
I was very excited to read this book! I first read books from Marta Perry many years ago from the Love Inspired Line. I have only recently learned she has written other books not associated with that line and I was very excited to read them so I jumped at the chance to review her new book.
One of the many things I love about Marta Perry is her writing style. She is phenomenal at her descriptions. When I am reading her books I feel like I am right there in the book as I read.

Murder in Plain Sight
Camille
My first Amish novel that I read was by Marta Perry. I got accepted by NetGalley to review her upcoming novel, Murder In Plain Sight, and so I couldn't resist reading it!

I have to admit I really did like this book.

Murder In Plain Sight follows the story of a young Amish man, Thomas Esch, who has been accused of murder of a young non-Amish woman which occurred during Thomas' rumspringa.

A local woman, Geneva Morgan, believes that Thomas is innocent and has hired an attorney from Philadelphia, Jess
Gina
Goodreads Description- Did a sweet-faced Amish teenager brutally murder a young woman? To save her career, big-city lawyer Jessica Langdon is determined to defend him—against the community's bitter and even violent outrage. Yet without an understanding of Amish culture, Jessica must rely on arrogant businessman Trey Morgan, who has ties to the Amish community… and believes in the boy's guilt.

Jessica has threats coming from all sides: a local fanatic, stirred up by the biased publicity of the cas
Lisa
The first in a suspense series about the Morgans: a Lancaster County family and their Amish friends and neighbors.

Jessica Langdon's associateship with a prestigious Philadelphia law firm is in jeopardy. A request from Geneva Morgan to defend an Amish teen accused of murdering a young woman is Jessica's opportunity to salvage her career.

Geneva's son, Trey, wants his mother to keep out of this uproar...he feels that Thomas, the Amish young man, is guilty, and that Jessica should just return to Phi
Rachel Brand
While so many of the Amish novels that are currently saturating the market are focused on love and romance, Marta Perry tackles an entirely different subject - can the Amish kill? When a local English woman turns up dead in a barn, along with an unconscious Thomas Esch clutching a hammer, the residents of Lancaster don't doubt for a second that he committed the crime. But his English neighbour, Geneva Morgan, is convinced of his innocence. Trey Morgan doesn't share his mother's opinion but grudg ...more
Felicia
First let me say that my impression of this book was very colored by expectations.

I loved the idea of this book. After reading the jacket I was very excited to read it. It didn't quite fit what I was expecting but was still a very good book. I believe that if I did not have certain expectations in mind before starting this book I would have given it 4 stars instead of 3. This is not the fault of the writer but the fault of whoever wrote the book jacket synopsis.

The story begins with a murder t
Jacqueline
Extra 1/2 star.

There was one thing that I didn't like about the book. (view spoiler) But I'm going to overlook it, rating-wise, because of where it is in the book and because I kinda enjoyed the rest of it.
April
MURDER IN PLAIN SIGHT by Marta Perry is a romantic suspense present day Springville, PA. It is a wonderful story of suspense,Amish culture,betrayal,murder,love,romance,danger and buried secrets. While the community is wielding from one of their own committing murder,other secrets will come to light.Against the Amish community's wishes and through their outrage,a friend of the young man accused of the violent crime, hires an attorney from Philadelphia to represent him.The attorney Jessica finds d ...more
Roxann
Summary of the book: Jessica is a young lawyer from Philadelphia (in some trouble with her agency) who comes to Amish country to defend a young Amish man accused of murder. She finds herself having to learn about the Amish and their ways so she can represent her client better. In what should be a quiet peaceful community she finds herself the target of attacks.

I really didn't 'get' the romance in here. The male lead (Trey) was finding himself attracted to the female lead Jessica. It just seems
Michelle
This was recommended by Goodreads because of my "interest in Crime." Imagine my horror when I picked it up at the library and it was labeled ROMANCE!!! Gross!

Luckily this really had nothing to do with romance. It's a murder mystery plain and simple. Good, not great.
Kara
If you are looking for a quick read with some romance and suspense, this is a good book to check out. It tells the story of a big city lawyer coming to the Amish community to defend an Amish boy accused of murder. With twists and turns, this book continues to hold you till the end.

My only issue with this book is that I felt the Amish characters lacked depth. I was very excited to read a book with Amish characters, a community I know little about. However I was disappointed that the Amish charact
Jenn Hailley
I like the subject matter...mixing interesting cultures into a thriller....but this book is poorly written and didn't keep my attention. The romantic moments between Trey and Jessica were abrupt, cheesy, and and in no way captivating. I saw the ending from the first time the characters were introduced, and the resolution was also very predictable and flat. Probably won't read this author again-I felt more like editing this book than reading it:( at least it was a quick easy read without any pret ...more
Paula
Like so many, this is the first book that I have read that centers of the Amish community and a murder. Lawyer Jessica Langdon is sent to clear up the case and do a plea agreement if necesary to finish this quickly. When Jessica arrives in the community, she learns that there is more to this than appears on the surface. Did this Amish boy murder an English woman? Who has a motive to make him look like he did? The story interspersed details of Amish life that added to the story, and off course, a ...more
Susie
Enjoyable read. I liked how authentic the cultures of the English and the Amish seemed in this mystery. The mystery itself was clever enough to be a surprise too.
Sandy Duke
Although I guessed "who done it" early in the book, the why's and how's were not obvious and so left plenty of mystery right up until the end.
Judith
As always, Marta Perry draws on her own experience and background as a Pennsylvania resident to set this tale in the Amish world. Accused of murder, an Amish teen, in the middle of his Rumspringa (teen freedom) period, must rely on a non-Amish attorney--a woman, no less--to try to prove his innocence and find the real murderer. As Jessica becomes immersed in the Amish culture, she also must deal with an overbearing but kindhearted gentleman who is well-known and well-respected in the Amish commu ...more
Anna
This book felt horribly incomplete. The action was too rushed, the characters not fleshed out enough, and the plot not believable.
Arthur
A young man who doesn’t wish to spend his rest of his life in jail has a need to trust his new lawyer who had come just to get him a smaller jail term if found guilty in a plea bargain for the murder charge. His only want is to get out of jail and return to his family who are praying for the young man’s return. This book is meant to inspire as well as help Englishness relate with Amish ways. It’s a mystery novel written with many elements in mind. Taking in mind interest in dialogue and descript ...more
Kristina
This was my first 'Amish' book and it was ok. I guess I was expecting a little more of a mystery. I kinda figured it out right away and that was disappointing. I think I'll try another Perry book though.
Jean Galloway
i just loved this book - im partial to Amish murder mysteries though ... i cant wait to read the rest of the series and the series that starts with Hide in Plain Sight
Kristi
This is the first book I have read by Perry and it definitely will not be the last. I started this book on a day I had started four others and this one really intrigued me.

The writing style is easy and flows extremely well that before you know it you are half way through the book. Perry writes characters that you want to like and help if you could. I have to admit that I also did not realize the killer until the last 25 pages or so which is unusual for me.

This is a great story all the way arou
  • Dark Road Home (Maplecreek, #1)
  • Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3)
  • What the Heart Sees: A Collection of Amish Romances
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • A Stranger's Wish (Amish Farm Trilogy, #1)
  • The Caregiver (Families of Honor, #1)
  • Lydia's Charm
  • An Amish Love
  • A Plain Death (Appleseed Creek, #1)
  • Falling to Pieces (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #1)
  • An Amish Family Reunion
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • The Amish Nanny (The Women of Lancaster County, #2)
  • Missing Your Smile (Fields Of Home, #1)
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • Anna's Gift (Hannah's Daughters, #3)
81993
Marta Perry is a Pennsylvania-based author of over 35 novels, many of them inspirational romances. She uses her rural Pennsylvania life and her Pennsylvania Dutch heritage in writing her books, especially in her Pleasant Valley Amish series for Berkley Books and her new Amish-set suspense series for HQN Books.

Marta and her husband live in a centuries-old farmhouse in a quiet central Pennsylvania v
More about Marta Perry...

Amish Suspense (4 books)
  • Vanish in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #2)
  • Lost in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense #1.5)
  • Danger in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #3)
Hide in Plain Sight (The Three Sisters Inn, #1) Leah's Choice (Pleasant Valley, #1) Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3) Rachel's Garden (Pleasant Valley, #2) Restless Hearts (The Flanagans, #6)