The Sparks Fly Upward

The Sparks Fly Upward (Makepeace Hedley #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A new novel of love and courage in a time of war, from the author of A Catch of Consequence and Taking Liberties. Few of those Philippa loves in London return her affection. Not the love of her life, who has a new bride. Not even her widowed mother, Makepeace Burke. So Philippa decides on a marriage of convenience to a prudish, if kind, man. Across the Channel in France, t...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Berkley (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Sparks Fly Upward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sparks Fly Upward

Barb
I've read all three of the books in Diana Norman's historical trilogy. I did like the first two but I thought this was a much more satisfying read.

While this book focuses on the same themes as the other two; freedom, abolition and suffrage, the depiction of these issues was much more dramatic in this story.

We return to find Makepeace Burke and her always eventful life in England welcoming home her brother, the famous actor Aaron Burke and his theatre troupe, including Sir Michael Murrough, an...more
CLM
Jul 31, 2007 CLM rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deb, Betsy, Kelly
This is the third in a trilogy (A Catch of Consequence, Taking Liberties) and Norman has not missed a beat. Her characters are unusual but very convincing. I expected this book to be primarily about Makepeace's daughter but Makepeace herself is still a major character, and is as candid and opinionated at 50 as ever. Philippa has developed into a thoughtful and mature woman, if perhaps anachronistic. I highly recommend this author but do suggest these books be read in order.
Cheryl
Marleen
I immensely enjoyed this third and last book in the Makepeace Burke series. If you've read the two previous Diana Norman books in this series (A Catch of Consequence and Taking Liberties) then this is a must. I’d recommend reading the books in sequence since they have many characters returning (and really growing on you). And the fact of having these characters return, offers the author the chance to give them more color and depth and make their life-story so much richer. And what endearing char...more
Christy
I liked it, but not nearly as much as the other two in this series. I think Diana Norman is a really great writer. She's also a really great historian so I learned a lot about the French revolution I never knew before. I actually don't know much about it at all. The characters are still likable, especially Phillipa. Makepeace was a little more likable this time around. I really love the secondary characters in all the books. It just wasn't as captivating this time around. I mean, the main plot a...more
VMom
I read this with some trepidation, fearing that Philippa would be another hard-luck hero (like her mother in the A Catch of Consequence), but thankfully not. Philippa does go through a lot, but there is a HEA.

Most of Philippa's story takes place in Revolutionary France, and the author shines at depicting the daily grinding oppression of The Terror. (It reminds me of how well she evokes 1920-30 Berlin in City of Shadows: A Novel of Suspense )

There's also a lot of Makepeace in this one, having be...more
Sue
I want to be just like Makepeace when I grow up! I love this character - another strong, determined woman, much like Sarah Agnes Prine in "These Is My Words." However, this third book was not as good as the previous two. Mostly about the Terror following the French Revolution. As with the other books, her main theme is freedom. She just writes about freedom in several different setting: in America, in England, and now in France. The author left the door open for another book if she chooses to wr...more
Maudie
The last book in Diana Norman's "Makepeace Burke" trilogy and it was an excellent read in MHO. "Sparks" is a little slow in some places, but Makepeace, her family and her extended family continues to intrigue.

Thank you, Diana, for your wonderful legacy of books and the stories they contain.
Loved this series. I really liked the way it covered different times in Makepeace's life and the skillful way that Diana Norman wove the story around historical events. Egads, makes you think about today and the heart of man. Satisfying conclusion. If only we still had Diana Norman!
Ruth
I liked this book, but did not read it with as much enthusiasm as the first 2 books in this series. It seemed a bit of a slog, but I still cared enough to finish it. THis is certainly a well researched historical picture of the times.
Jenny Q
Apr 14, 2010 Jenny Q marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Another Borders bargain rack find. Norman also writes as Ariana Franklin, whom I have not read yet, but I know she's quite popular. This one's about the French Revolution, which is a time period I like to read about.
Lian Tanner
Diana Norman is an exceptional writer, and this is one of her best books. Wonderful characterisation, and a deep thoughtfulness that lifts it far above other historical novels. The dash of romance makes it even better.
Jana
Apr 18, 2011 Jana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jana by: Christy
Shelves: around-the-world
This had a little less of Makepeace and more of Philippa which was refreshing and it focused on the French Revolution and the Terror. Seems like most revolutions go too far and times don't really change.
Laurel
A little bittersweet to read this after finding out that earlier this year Diana Norman, aka Arianna Franklin, passed away. Sad to not have any more of her books to read.
Mary
there are 3 books in this series and I enjoyed them all very much but this one is real grabber. As it got closer to the end I had a hard time putting it down to do other things.
Deb
I didn't realize until now that the author also published under the name Ariana Franklin--I've read a bunch of her mysteries and liked them alot! This was good too
Bibliobee
Much slower than the first two until the last 50 or so pages, but enjoyed more. Little bits of history concerning the French revolution throughout were a nice touch.
Lori
Boring. I made it half-way and decided that life is too short to read such dull books.
Amy
Tri-quel to "Catch of Consequence"
Christa Huffman
Positively brilliant.
Kelly
Kelly added it
Aug 20, 2014
Dara Boyer
Dara Boyer marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Scarlett O.H.
Scarlett O.H. marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
  • Annette Vallon: A Novel of the French Revolution
  • Winter Siege
  • Circle Of Shadows (Crowther and Westerman, #4)
  • The French Mistress: A Novel of the Duchess of Portsmouth and King Charles II
  • Daughters of the Grail
  • The Queen's Dollmaker
  • The Blackstone Key
  • The Venetian Mask
  • The Tory Widow
  • Mistress of the Sun
  • A Spectacle of Corruption (Benjamin Weaver, #2)
  • An Accomplished Woman
  • The Devil in Music (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #4)
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • Mistress of the Revolution
  • The Firemaster's Mistress (Francis Quoynt #1)
  • The Spring of the Ram (The House of Niccolo, #2)
  • Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)

British journalist Diana Norman also writes as Ariana Franklin.

Born Mary Diana Narracott, she grew up first in London and then in Devon, where her mother took her to escape the blitz. At the age of 15, she left school, but with journalism in her background (her father had be...more
More about Diana Norman...
A Catch of Consequence Taking Liberties The Vizard Mask The Morning Gift Daughter of Lir