La natura dello spazio e del tempo. Come capire l'incomprensibile

La natura dello spazio e del tempo. Come capire l'incomprensibile

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  486 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Einstein ha affermato una volta che la cosa più incomprensibile dell'universo è il fatto che esso sia comprensibile. Aveva ragione? La teoria dei quanti e la teoria della relatività possono essere combinate in un modello generale di spiegazione del mondo? Il concetto di quanti e quello di cosmo sono compatibili? Perché il tempo va avanti e non indietro? A domande così impo...more
Paperback, Superbur scienza, 176 pages
Published February 2002 by Rizzoli (first published 1996)

Be the first to ask a question about La natura dello spazio e del tempo. Come capire l'incomprensibile

Ryan
May 13, 2008 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of physics
Considerably more technical than either Hawking or Penrose's lay material (A Brief History of Time etc.) If you're seeking an introduction to the controversy behind Hawking's quantum gravity speculations (Hawking radiation, the no-hair theorem) then this is a good start. Is quantum information lost in black hole evaporation? There are still no solid answers to the questions posed here.
Caitee Nigro
This book was recommended to me by a good friend a while back, who insisted I purchase my own copy because he couldn't stand to part - even temporarily - with his. So I did. Maybe a month later, co-author Sir Roger Penrose spoke at a local university and I was fortunate enough to see him, as well as have my very untouched copy of The Nature of Space and Time signed by him. Only recently did I read it, and I'd be lying if I said I could comprehend more than half on my own.
Reading this book, more...more
Todd
"Time is the fire in which we burn." Delmore Schwartz

"...time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." Jean-Luc Picard

I found the information in this set of 3 lectures to be somewhat interesting but because I am not a student (or practitioner) of science I found it to be a bit too specific to the field of physics/quantum mechanics/advanced maths/etc. for my general interest.

That said, one big problem I have with thi...more
Stefano
E' difficile definire questo libro un libro di divulgazione. In realt� si tratta di una serie di lezioni (tre a testa pi� una discussione finale) in cui gli autori dimostrano le proprie teorie in merito alla natura dello spaziotempo attraverso lo studio delle singolarit� nell'ambito della meccanica quantistica e della relativit� generale. Per farlo fanno ampio uso di strumenti matematici molto complessi. Per comprendere appieno le dimostrazioni � necessaria una conoscenza specialistica di matema...more
Derek
I gave it a good college try, but was immediately swamped by the intense theoretical physics and deep mathematics involved. As a series of lectures between the two physicists as they voice disagreements about the nature of the universe, it was interesting to be a sort of fly on the wall, to see what these big brains talk about when the rest of us aren't around. On the other hand, they're discussing these things at their own level and not the level of a layman, so one might as well be a fly on th...more
Jeff
This is collection of essays is an argument between Hawking and Penrose about the origin and ultimate fate of the universe, plus some entropy notions about black holes. I will say this: Hawking throws equations out there like you flat out know what he's talking about. His disclaimer is that he assumes you know some math and quantum mechanics. The QM arguments were easy enough, and while I've seen some topology before, I wasn't hugely familiar with GR, so his essays were sometimes hard to follow....more
Akshat Tandon
I could never understand what's in there!
Abe TheSemite
Aug 15, 2014 Abe TheSemite is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosmology
Hawking negates the debate's setting of his own with-Penrose coauthored book by accusing Penrose for being a Platonist on page 4. This should strike you as odd when you realise that Penrose represents Einstein's position (i.e., realist) and yet Hawking is the one speaking on behalf of Bohr!
Hayley
As much as I enjoyed the concepts that were meticulously laid out in this book; it hurt to read. The book required a lot from the reader to understand and keep up with the complex theories, unless of course you brought along your PHD in experimental physics and cosmology, which I did not.
Hugo Rodrigues
Este livro é um conjunto de ensaios escritos por Roger Penrose e provados (acabados) pelo Stephen Hawking, embora não concordem totalmente um com o outro, provaram que as singularidades(buracos- negros) resultam do colapso de um estrela (sol Gigante), um livro muito interessante...
Erickson
Great read, even when some technicalities are beyond pre-undergraduate knowledge of spacetime. The authors managed to bring out what are at stakes in GR and QT and QFT, making the discussion of the nature of spacetime appealing.
Aubrey
Full of facts and impeccable research and theory. Reading it is a bit daunting. The language is complex and not very engaging, but there is no question that the material is sound.
BOB
I am not sure how some read this book, but as an undergrad physics student, all I could read are the first couple of pages before the 1st equations.
Faith
the 1st 10 pages are difficult to go through without a course in GR... the figures alone are frightfully intimidating...
Sergio ruocchio
bella battaglia di menti....
a differenza degli altri testi della stessa collana , questo non è certo divulgativo.
Ewa
No stars. I can't rate the book from which the only part I was able to understand was its introduction.
Kevin
Couldn't follow it. Much physics and prior theory is required. Didn't make it through even half of the book.
Gourab Bhattacharya
I first come to know about Wheeler DeWitt equations via this book, thank you Roger and Stephen :)
BAKU
Too much advanced mathematics for me, but, it still all comes down to that stupid cat ~
Chris Brimmer
Penrose just isn't as good at popular science as Hawking is alone.
Jay Wilkins
Penrose and Hawking arguing about cosmology, yada yada yada...
Mike
Aug 17, 2007 Mike rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with moderate physics knowledge
Pretty dry and less interesting than some their other books.
Gary Levin
Yet another Great book by Stephen Hawking!
Deepu P
really amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marcia Berg Haskell
Reading this, but it is slow going.
Chris
very, very dense
Jeff Sexton
Jeff Sexton marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Elan Shahrabani
Elan Shahrabani marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • The Meaning of Relativity
  • Hiding in the Mirror: The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond
  • The Last Three Minutes: Conjectures About The Ultimate Fate Of The Universe
  • Beyond Einstein: The Cosmic Quest for the Theory of the Universe
  • Dreams of a Final Theory: The Scientist's Search for the Ultimate Laws of Nature
  • The Inflationary Universe: The Quest for a New Theory of Cosmic Origins
  • Shadows of the Mind: A Search for the Missing Science of Consciousness
  • Physics and Philosophy: The Revolution in Modern Science
  • Five Equations That Changed the World: The Power and Poetry of Mathematics
  • The End of Time. The Next Revolution in Our Understanding of the Universe
  • The Infinity Puzzle: Quantum Field Theory and the Hunt for an Orderly Universe
  • Before The Beginning
  • From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time
  • In Search of the Multiverse
  • Endless Universe: Beyond the Big Bang
  • Wrinkles in Time
  • The Constants of Nature: The Numbers That Encode the Deepest Secrets of the Universe
  • Entanglement
Stephen William Hawking was born on 8 January 1942 in Oxford, England. His parents' house was in north London, but during the second world war Oxford was considered a safer place to have babies. When he was eight, his family moved to St Albans, a town about 20 miles north of London. At eleven Stephen went to St Albans School, and then on to University College, Oxford, his father's old college. Ste...more
More about Stephen Hawking...
A Brief History of Time The Grand Design The Universe in a Nutshell A Briefer History of Time Black Holes and Baby Universes