Start by marking “Un futuro all'antica” as Want to Read:
Un futuro all'antica

Un futuro all'antica

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  519 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A Good Old-fashioned Future is a paperback collection of seven short stories by former cyberpunk guru turned sociocultural prognosticator Bruce Sterling. Most of the works here come with impressive pedigrees, ranging from a Hugo Award for "Bicycle Repairman" to Hugo nominations for "Maneki Neko" and "Taklamakan." Another piece, "Big Jelly," was cowritten by Sterling's fell ...more
Paperback, Piccola Biblioteca Oscar 556, 325 pages
Published 2007 by Mondadori (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Un futuro all'antica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un futuro all'antica

Toby
Chloe
Oct 20, 2008 Chloe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Futureheads, Cyberspawn and starry-eyed dreamers
Recommended to Chloe by: The Tribe
I am now completely convinced that Bruce Sterling should not write novels. His short stories are so much better than any long-form writing that he's ever published that I don't understand why he doesn't write more. Compiling seven stories written during the tumultuous nineties, Sterling offers his strongest work to date. Clear visions of probable futures that are far more concise and far less meandering than his normal work

The collection opens with "Maneki Neko", in which Sterling unfolds a futu
Flying_Monkey
This uneven collection points up a lot of what was going wrong for Bruce Sterling in the 1990s: an overconfidence in his own ability to have his finger on the pulse and sometimes seemingly superficial understanding of other cultures replacing in-depth research.

This is at its worst in stories like 'The Littlest Jackal', set largely in the Aland Islands between Finland and Sweden - I've been there, and he just seems to use the islands as an exotic locale without any real understanding of the cultu
Gregg Wingo
Bruce Sterling is one of the greatest of cyberpunk writers. Although he does not have the force and seriousness of William Gibson, he does bring the same level of imagination combined with a fabulously hilarious sense of the comedic to this collection of stories. As with both authors central to these works is not just the techno-toys of the future but the very postmodern question of the nature of capitalism and the human experience with it.

Literature professor and critical theorist, Fredric Jam
Ippino
Raccolta di "perle" della letteratura cyberpunk, scritta dal suo inventore. Un'ottima raccolta, a dir la verità. Certo, qualcosina non mi è piaciuta, ma in linea di massima si legge bene, e fa riflettere sorridendo. In particolare i due racconti più lunghi sono un condensato di critiche sociali ed attacchi ai modi di vivere dell'umanità. Fanno lavorare la materia grigia, insomma: e questo è bene.
Sicuramente i racconti migliori sono quelli dal secondo al quarto, che costituiscono una sorta di tri
Doug
the Chattanooga stories are the highlights for me (Deep Eddy, Bicycle Repairman, and especially Taklmakan), but this is an all-around solid collection.
Michael Burnam-fink
Let me get this out of the way. I am a Sterling fan, I love everything he's done unconditionally, but I think A Good Old Fashioned Future, is his best short story collection, and the best introduction to his work. From the soft and thoughtful "Maneki Neko", to the gonzo cyber-entrepneur-terrorist-punk of "The Littlest Jackel" to the tour de force trio of linked stories at the end, Sterling shows us precisely how strange our very human future is going to be, and how we might survive and thrive in ...more
Devero
Un'ottima antologia. Oltre a un racconto fortemente anticipativo come "Maneki Neko", abbiamo le tre storie fortemente collegate "Deep Eddy", "Il Riparatore di Biciclette" e quel piccolo capolavoro che è "Taklamakan" con una stupenda idea alla base.
Anche gli altri tre racconti sono più che buoni; gli spunti spesso vengono dalla cronaca, e non è detto che alcune delle previsioni possano ancora, in qualche forma, avverarsi.
Gretchen
This is a pretty uneven collection, but the first story, "Maneki Neko", always delights me with its presentation of a software-mediated gift economy predicated upon doing random acts of kindness and beauty. "Bicycle Repairman" is also wonderful with its barter-economy squatter who hoists his entire shop/home up and down on cables. Clearly I am a fan of alternate economies, especially when they turn the tables on capitalism.
Timothy
This is my first Bruce Sterling book. The collection of short stories here is, like many authors, hit and miss. There are more hits than misses, however. Several of the stories were so good I purchased this book for friends to read them.
Tanvir Muntasim
An eclectic collection of science fiction stories, mostly of the cyberpunk variation which was made famous by William Gibson. Sterling tries to dip into different cultures with varied success, but making it an enjoyable experience nonetheless.
Kathryn Tucker
"Big Jelly", "Deep Eddy", and "Taklamakan" were excellent short stories that made me either say oooh, cool or made me think. "Maneki Neko" and "Bicycle Repairman" were alright. I could have done without "The Littlest Jackal" and "Sacred Cow".
Shawn
Stock cyberpunk from Bruce Sterling not his best by far but the stories do have a bicycle theme running in there that I would say comes out of San Francisco culture. One story is named "Bicycle Repairman"
Colette
Maybe my favorite title for a book though. I didn't read all the stories in this, but the early ones were somehow soulless, or not soulful enough - maybe just me.
Megan
a collection of Bruce Sterling sci fi that was absolutely fantastic. I definetly need to pick up a full length Sterling book sometime this year.
Gerald Lucas
My favorite Sterling collection.
Kevin
Check out "Are You For Eighty-Six?".
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Choko
Choko marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Jukka
Jukka marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Arto Bendiken
Arto Bendiken marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Mikko
Mikko marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Christoffer
Christoffer marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Andrei
Andrei marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
gregor willhauck
gregor willhauck marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
  • A Place So Foreign and Eight More
  • Noir
  • Redrobe
  • Oaths and Miracles
  • A Fire in the Sun (Marîd Audran #2)
  • Toast
  • Elvissey
  • Little Heroes
  • Vacuum Flowers
  • Tea from an Empty Cup (Artificial Reality Division, #1)
  • Rim
  • Bloom
  • Trouble and Her Friends
  • Signal to Noise
  • The Long Night
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
  • Myths of the Near Future
  • Sunfall
Michael Bruce Sterling is an American science fiction author, best known for his novels and his seminal work on the Mirrorshades anthology, which helped define the cyberpunk genre.
More about Bruce Sterling...
Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology Islands in the Net Schismatrix Plus Heavy Weather The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier