Start by marking “After Midnight” as Want to Read:
After Midnight

After Midnight (Morning, Noon And Night #4)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In 1964, a young Australian girl, Linda Carr, is trying to track down the wreckage of the Liberator bomber in which her father died when it crashed in northern Italy in 1944 during World War Two. She employs the help of motorcycle TT racer Jack Kirby, a man who has his own inner demons to combat. He was a Mosquito fighter pilot during the war and experienced at first hand ...more
Paperback
Published September 26th 2005 by Headline Review (first published March 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about After Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Midnight

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakFarewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki HoustonThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankMartin Heidegger by Rüdiger Safranski1939 - The War That Had Many Fathers by Gerd Schultze-Rhonhof
Best WWII Fiction and Biography
200th out of 317 books — 440 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakCatch-22 by Joseph HellerSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutAtonement by Ian McEwanThe Winds of War by Herman Wouk
World War II Fiction
463rd out of 773 books — 1,285 voters

More lists with this book...

Caroline
Nov 19, 2011 Caroline rated it liked it
During WWII, Mussolini sided with Hitler, thinking it would keep his country safe, but there were Italians who did not agree with him, and these partisans did what they could to fight the Germans and the Italian national guards, to keep Italy free from Hitler's grasp. To their aid came the Allies, dropping canisters of rations and weapons from planes, making dangerous flights up and over mountains in the night to do so, and many died in their efforts to do what they felt was right.

Based on a tru
Peter
Nov 11, 2012 Peter rated it liked it
This is the first book by Robert Ryan that I have read, I knew little about the role of Italian partisans during WWII which along with the fact that the book was said to be inspired by a true story the main reasons that attracted me to this book.

The book is set in 1964 some 20 years after the end of WWII and is based around a Northern corner of Italy. Now I must admit that the first three quarters of this book had me gripped as the author skillfully mixed past and present, fact and fiction, grad
Dana
Jun 05, 2014 Dana rated it liked it
I enjoy historical fiction in between some darker fiction. This one has it all maybe too much. Romance, war, airplanes, motorcycles, did I mention plane crash and a search for the crash site, while evading someone trying to kill him and the cops/military.
Happy
Oct 24, 2013 Happy rated it liked it
I didn't really think I would like this novel. I picked it up secondhand and chose it because it is based on events during WW2 in Italy and the main characters are English and Australian - enough for me to chose it because I bought it in England and was planning to read it in Italy and I am Australian, sometimes it is the little things that help you select a book.
As it turned out it was very interesting and I enjoyed reading it. A bit of a male perspective on things but still a good read.
After
John
Apr 30, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I actually think this was the best of the trilogy although I enjoyed the other two very much. However, I was puzzled that these three books have been called a trilogy because they had no comm characters. The only common factor was that they all dealt with World WarII. I like the idea that these books were all based on real stories and some of the characters were real whereas others were fictitious. Robert Ryan is a real craftsman and wordsmith. ...more
Chirag M
Jul 05, 2014 Chirag M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It tends to become a thriller towards the end, and disappoints as the genre is best left to the likes of Ludlum. That being said, the book is by far one of the best works of story-telling you'd come across in recent times, comparable to Ondaatje and Slouka. There is a tranquility about the slow pace at which the story unfolds.
Kenzie Boonstra
Sep 10, 2014 Kenzie Boonstra rated it did not like it
Can't remember how this got in my possession, but it sounded interesting so I tried it out. great plot line but too many references. Planes, cities, names of things I have no idea what they are. I didn't want to look up everything everytime I turned a page.
John
Apr 01, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: WW2 Military fiction fans
Not a bad little book.

Set in the 1960's with constant flashbacks to wartime Italy this story never loses its fast pace. Well written with good characters and an interesting plot.
Gus Langley
Gus Langley rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2016
Nissa
Nissa marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Bryan Neighbour
Bryan Neighbour rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
mr c a horrocks
mr c a horrocks rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Ali McConnell
Ali McConnell rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Katelyn
Katelyn marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Annchovy
Annchovy rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Jen Feenan
Jen Feenan rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Tia Searle
Tia Searle marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Sep 11, 2015
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
aka Tom Neale

Robert Ryan was born in Liverpool but moved to London when he was eighteen to attend university. He lectured in natural sciences for several years before moving into journalism in the mid-1980s, first with The Face and then the Dylan Jones-edited Arena. During this time, he also wrote for The Daily Telegraph, US GQ, US Conde Nast Traveler, Esquire and The Sunday Times.

Robert Ryan live
More about Robert Ryan...

Morning, Noon And Night (4 books)
  • Early One Morning