Start by marking “After Midnight” as Want to Read:
After Midnight

After Midnight (Morning, Noon And Night #4)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In 1964, a young Australian girl, Linda Carr, is trying to track down the wreckage of the Liberator bomber in which her father died when it crashed in North Italy in 1944 during World War Two. She employs the help of Jack Kirby, a British Mosquito fighter pilot who was on operations in the area when her father died. He is now a motorcycle racer competing in the Isle of Man ...more
Paperback
Published September 1st 2005 by Headline Book Publishing (first published March 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about After Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Midnight

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferNight by Elie WieselIn Pursuit of Platinum by Vic Robbie
Best WWII Fiction and Biography
151st out of 262 books — 310 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakCatch-22 by Joseph HellerSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutAtonement by Ian McEwanThe Winds of War by Herman Wouk
World War II Fiction
413th out of 644 books — 1,112 voters

More lists with this book...

Caroline
During WWII, Mussolini sided with Hitler, thinking it would keep his country safe, but there were Italians who did not agree with him, and these partisans did what they could to fight the Germans and the Italian national guards, to keep Italy free from Hitler's grasp. To their aid came the Allies, dropping canisters of rations and weapons from planes, making dangerous flights up and over mountains in the night to do so, and many died in their efforts to do what they felt was right.

Based on a tru
Peter
This is the first book by Robert Ryan that I have read, I knew little about the role of Italian partisans during WWII which along with the fact that the book was said to be inspired by a true story the main reasons that attracted me to this book.

The book is set in 1964 some 20 years after the end of WWII and is based around a Northern corner of Italy. Now I must admit that the first three quarters of this book had me gripped as the author skillfully mixed past and present, fact and fiction, grad
Kenzie Boonstra
Can't remember how this got in my possession, but it sounded interesting so I tried it out. great plot line but too many references. Planes, cities, names of things I have no idea what they are. I didn't want to look up everything everytime I turned a page.
John
I actually think this was the best of the trilogy although I enjoyed the other two very much. However, I was puzzled that these three books have been called a trilogy because they had no comm characters. The only common factor was that they all dealt with World WarII. I like the idea that these books were all based on real stories and some of the characters were real whereas others were fictitious. Robert Ryan is a real craftsman and wordsmith. ...more
Dana
I enjoy historical fiction in between some darker fiction. This one has it all maybe too much. Romance, war, airplanes, motorcycles, did I mention plane crash and a search for the crash site, while evading someone trying to kill him and the cops/military.
binsie
Gave this a big swerve after getting lost in the technical detail of planes and motor bikes. It felt as though the author was using this stuff as padding. Very disappointed.
Happy
I didn't really think I would like this novel. I picked it up secondhand and chose it because it is based on events during WW2 in Italy and the main characters are English and Australian - enough for me to chose it because I bought it in England and was planning to read it in Italy and I am Australian, sometimes it is the little things that help you select a book.
As it turned out it was very interesting and I enjoyed reading it. A bit of a male perspective on things but still a good read.
After
Chirag M
It tends to become a thriller towards the end, and disappoints as the genre is best left to the likes of Ludlum. That being said, the book is by far one of the best works of story-telling you'd come across in recent times, comparable to Ondaatje and Slouka. There is a tranquility about the slow pace at which the story unfolds.
John
Apr 01, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: WW2 Military fiction fans
Not a bad little book.

Set in the 1960's with constant flashbacks to wartime Italy this story never loses its fast pace. Well written with good characters and an interesting plot.
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Karina
Karina added it
Jun 22, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Radwa Fakar ii
Radwa Fakar ii marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Nick Pemberton
Nick Pemberton marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Bob Harris
Bob Harris marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
aka Tom Neale

Robert Ryan was born in Liverpool but moved to London when he was eighteen to attend university. He lectured in natural sciences for several years before moving into journalism in the mid-1980s, first with The Face and then the Dylan Jones-edited Arena. During this time, he also wrote for The Daily Telegraph, US GQ, US Conde Nast Traveler, Esquire and The Sunday Times.

Robert Ryan live
More about Robert Ryan...

Morning, Noon And Night (4 books)
  • Early One Morning
  • The Blue Noon
  • Night Crossing
Early One Morning Dead Man's Land (Dr John Watson, #1) The Blue Noon Death on the Ice Night Crossing