Start by marking “The Bride's House” as Want to Read:
The Bride's House

The Bride's House

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  2,603 Ratings  ·  420 Reviews

From the New York Times bestselling author of Whiter Than Snow and Prayers for Sale comes a novel about the secrets and passions of three generations of women who have all lived in the same Victorian home called the Brideâs House.

Itâs 1880, and for unassuming seventeen-year-old Nealie Bent, the Brideâs House is a fairy tale come to life. It seems as if it is being bui

Published April 26th 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Bride's House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride's House

Tara Chevrestt
Mar 22, 2011 Tara Chevrestt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Terry
I was really quite riveted by this story. I can't say I turned the final page having learned anything or had food for thought or cried, but I was entertained.

It's about three different women during three different times in the same house, the Bride's House.

Nealie's tale begins in 1880.. She falls in love with one man, marries another, but still ends up in the Bride's House. There's a bit of a moral in this part. "The grass is not always greener on the other side" kept popping into my head.

The s
Julie
Dec 07, 2011 Julie rated it did not like it
I was so disappointed, because I've really liked some of her books. I kept thinking it would get better and it would come together in the end. The more I think about it, it's just making excuses for women who sleep around. Apparently, it's a charming family legacy. Yuck!
aspasiacat
Aug 11, 2011 aspasiacat rated it really liked it
Rating: ****

Review: So, what happens when you get an advance copy of a book in the mail from a publisher and it just happens to be the The Bride’s House by Sandra Dallas? Well, of course you sit down to read the back cover and then you are so intrigued you sit down to read a few pages. The next thing you know you have finished the book – in one night. That is what I did. Although I was already a big fan of her books I found the style of writing to be different than her other books – wonderful in
Heidi
Mar 05, 2012 Heidi rated it liked it
This book was fine to read, but not anything great. It was not very profound, not a great plot either. It was fun, and light reading, although really predictable. I liked the setting, because it is close to home and familiar to me, which was fun and I want to go see the actual places in the book now. The story is basically about 3 generations of women that all keep secrets and all made the same mistakes. Maybe if they had been more open and honest about their lives, they could have prevented the ...more
Rachel
Apr 30, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: period-romance
I've enjoyed most of Sandra's books so far, this one, did not stand up to the others. My least favorite thus far. I wouldn't spend the money or have this one on my book shelf at home.

I am feeling like the more recent her books, the more she feels she needs to put more detailed intamacy in them that quite frankly, isn't needed. I felt like her older books were more wholesome and now these more recent ones are turning trashy.

I did enjoy the three generations stories and the twist and secret at th
Julia
May 23, 2012 Julia rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to Sandra Dallas's latest novel. I have mostly enjoyed 3 other novels by her. While this book was O.K. (2 stars means its O.K.) and a fast read, it really wasn't so great. I kept thinking it was a bit "korny" as I was reading. It tells the story of 3 generations of women who all seemed quite shallow in their relationships and life.

It seemed that to keep the readers interest, the author would throw in a "tragedy", but then pull back on it, so it wasn't too bad. Inste
Kari
Mar 31, 2011 Kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through first reads, and I absolutly LOVED it. I almost didn't enter for this book, and now I'm wondering why I had doubts. This book tells the story of three generations of women, and the trials of life and love they endure.

Nealie, who had experienced more heartache in her short years then most people do in an entire life time is the first. Her back story kind of broke my heart. But the upside is that she experiences true love, and to me she truly embodies the saying "better to
Joyce
Feb 22, 2015 Joyce rated it really liked it
The Bride's House by Sandra Dallas is another great historical novel by Dallas set in the mining town Georgetown, Colorado. This novel revolves around the lives of 3 women, Nealie Bent, her daughter Pearl Dumas Curry and granddaughter Susan Curry. Nealie Bent, newly arrived in Georgetown, falls in love with one man and ends up pregnant and married to another man, Charlie Dumas. However, she dies in childbirth and Charlie ends up raising Nealie's daughter Pearl who he is as devoted to as if she ...more
Ariel
Jul 18, 2011 Ariel rated it really liked it
I wanted to get my hot little hands on a copy of this book when I first saw that it was up for early review. Alas I was not picked and disappointed I waited patiently for it to come in to my library. I loved the Diary of Mattie Spencer and this looked like a similar historical fiction work. The premise of this book is that there are three generations of women from the same family that inhabit a house called the Bride's House in Colorado. It is so named because the first woman Nealie was a bride ...more
Diane
Dec 05, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
I like Sandra Dallas and feel her books are a great escape. This one, follows three generations of women in a Colorado home, nicknamed The Brides's House, purchased in 1880. Georgetown is a mining town and Nealie is a hard working, uneducated servant who is easily swept off her feet by a mining investor. One third of the book (the best third, I thought) is her story. The second third, Pearl's story, is also interesting and the characters are mostly realistic and finely crafted. The book fell ...more
Cassie
Oct 23, 2013 Cassie rated it it was ok
I'd give it a 2.5/3... The main characters were intriguing and lived a plausible life in their individual eras. The story line was well thought out and connected within one another in a smooth context. The twist at the end was an unexpected climax, and segued to a lovely finalization. However-- I was very disappointed (and shocked) by the strong sensuality/sexuality in certain spots. There were no foreshadowing reviews as far as I could see. Embarrassed to have to skip past those parts. The book ...more
Book Duo
Apr 27, 2011 Book Duo rated it really liked it
Once again Colorado's Sandra Dallas has written a wonderful historical novel. The Bride's House is set in Georgetown, Colorado. It's the story of three generations of women who live there. It starts out during the 1880s mining boom and bust and continues past the two wars - with three strong-willed women: Nealie, her daughter Pearl and then granddaughter, Susan, as well as, the other main character - Bride's House. It's more than three love stories. It is a history of the area, of women, and ...more
Lisa
Apr 27, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Kathryn
Jun 23, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I have enjoyed everything Sandra Dallas has written. This book was not exception. The story of a house and the generations of women that have lived there, all related, all with similiar stories. At times I felt I wanted the story to move a bit faster as the details of the some days were a bit drawn out. Then the story would move on and I was pleased how the story progressed. It is so interesting how amny of the same issues of today were the same issues of a 100 years or more. The discretion with ...more
Kathy
Jan 23, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Using the comforting shelter of a home, Dallas tells the less than expected story of three generations of women who lived in the house. Each shared life altering events that are more common than our society admits. The story is filled with human emotion, experiences and candid revelations about life through a woman's eyes. I loved the story and was fascinated by the Victorian link each shared. I especialled liked the unique way the history of all three women was preserved and revealed.
S.B. Lerner
Jul 13, 2011 S.B. Lerner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pure escape...a guilty pleasure...one page followed the next and the hours passed easily in a Colorado mining town, with conflicts arising out of rivals for the affections of a simple girl. Actually, there are three stories. It's a kind of family saga, but each one functions on its own, with some 'secrets' revealed at the end that tie them all together. Good historical detail, sweetly sentimental. I like this kind of book once in a while.
Jean
Jul 19, 2011 Jean rated it did not like it
A disappointment. Sandra Dallas's historical research is first rate, yet the storyline of three generations of "good" women who find themselves to be unwed mothers is tiresome and too coincidental. Making an "off-child" the secret legacy that binds the family females seems somewhat twisted. Shallow male characters with their guile and/or gullibility only add to the reader's frustration.
Shalane
Jun 17, 2013 Shalane rated it it was ok
I've read a couple of Sandra Dallas's books and really enjoyed them, but I could not get into this one. It was hard that the story spanned three generations, but mainly I just didn't like the characters. I had no interest in their stories because I thought they were unlikeable. Disappointed.
Mich
May 17, 2016 Mich rated it liked it
Perhaps I will just be happy with loving this authors older books-with the exception of the last midwife which I did really enjoy .... Not sure if it's the characters but something isn't clicking with me as before. Oh well. All that said. Still one of my favorite authors!
Emily
Jan 28, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
This was a great escape book for me. Plus I loved reading about Georgetown, Colorado! That was a plus. In addition to some strong female characters. I thoroughly enjoyed his book.
Abby
Dec 17, 2011 Abby rated it liked it
Three generations of women in a small Colorado mining town. I loved the parts about Nealie and Pearl, but Susan's section read like Sweet Valley High.
Kelsey Burnette
Nov 25, 2016 Kelsey Burnette rated it liked it
Kind of fun to read the three intertwined stories, but a little too much about having babies and getting married. I guess the title should have been a clue.
Trudy E
Nov 06, 2016 Trudy E rated it it was amazing
Generations of hopes, dreams and secrets are peeled back and revealed like the layers of an onion in this wonderful story.
Carmel Giberson
Dec 07, 2016 Carmel Giberson rated it really liked it
Really liked this book. It would be great for a book club to talk over. The book involves three generations of women living at the same house. They may have more in common then they think.
Penny Powell
Oct 26, 2016 Penny Powell rated it really liked it
Lovely story, interesting especially to a Colorado native as it's setting is in Georgetown, CO.
Ashley
This was not my favorite Sandra Dallas book. I can't decide between 2 and 3 stars. I didn't mind the first half of the book for the most part, but the second half I really started to dislike it. Well, not even the second half even. Just the Susan chapter through the end of the book. Like the book, I'll separate my review into three parts so as not to spoil the entire thing at once.

Nealie: (view spoiler)
Linda C
Nealie Bent, serving girl at a boarding house in Georgetown, CO, watches the building of a beautiful house and dreams of living there one day with Will Spaulding, who had dubbed it the Bride's House because a man was building it for his bride. Things don't go as Nealie had hoped although she does end up as a bride there, pregnant and married to another man. Her daughter Pearl grows up in the house but it has not been a joyful home, rather a shrine to her mother. The third generation woman who ...more
Brenda
Dec 07, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is another of the old west type books. A bride who ends up with the wrong man pregnant and in the house of her dreams. This is the story of three generations of women and their stories of how they came to live and grow with their children in the book "The Bride's House". This book is set in Georgetown in the Colorado High Country. I loved reading when the book was over how the author came to write this story. I was out and about with my hubby and he kept interrupting my ...more
Lynne Pennington
Sep 19, 2016 Lynne Pennington rated it liked it
Like all Sandra Dallas' books, this was very good and very enjoyable with likeable characters. For some reason, it didn't "capture" me like some of her books have done, maybe because it is more "romantic" than some of her other books. It is not exactly a "romance" per se, but has more of that element than many of her books (all of which have strong relationship elements). Still recommended, since I still enjoyed it.
Martha
Nov 03, 2013 Martha rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed True Sisters by Sandra Dallas so when I discovered this book by the same author just sitting on the shelf, I grabbed it. Perhaps my first clue should have been there were 3 copies of this book, sitting on the shelf at my local library.

Hmmm...

The story is set in Georgetown Colorado, starting out in the 1880s, and moving forward through three generations of women that live in the Victorian House known as The Bride's House.

I found it all rather ho-hum. Didn't really care for the
Play Book Tag: The Bride's House - Sandra Dallas - 4 stars 3 7 Sep 25, 2016 07:26PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 15, 2015 06:44PM
  • Prairie Grace
  • Healer
  • Old Home Town
  • One True Sentence
  • An Unlikely Friendship: A Novel of Mary Todd Lincoln and Elizabeth Keckley
  • Family Blessings (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #2)
  • Beaufort 1849, a novel of antebellum South Carolina
  • The Midwife's Legacy
  • I Gave My Heart to Know This
  • Daybreak (The Days of Redemption #1)
  • Writing Away: A Creative Guide to Awakening the Journal-Writing Traveler
  • Dreaming in English
  • Ester's Child
  • The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and Half a Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America
  • The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook
  • Heart of Deception
  • Back to the Best Books
  • Under a Blackberry Moon (Michigan Northwoods, #3)
Award-winning author SANDRA DALLAS was dubbed “a quintessential American voice” by Jane Smiley, in Vogue Magazine. Sandra’s novels with their themes of loyalty, friendship, and human dignity have been translated into a dozen foreign languages and have been optioned for films.

A journalism graduate of the University of Denver, Sandra began her writing career as a reporter with Business Week. A staff
More about Sandra Dallas...