Start by marking “The Birthdays” as Want to Read:
The Birthdays

The Birthdays

2.77 of 5 stars 2.77  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  55 reviews
On an island off the coast of Maine, the Miller family reunites to celebrate the father's seventy-fifth birthday. Each of the adult children is expecting his or her own first child. The eldest, Daniel, grapples with the fact that his wife had to be artificially inseminated. Jake, the middle child, discovers that his wife is carrying twins after many trying years of fertili ...more
Published June 5th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Birthdays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Birthdays

Diane
An unfinished book, could never get into the characters. It has a lot of potential, but didn't live up to the possibilities
Janice Williams
I loved this book... the inner-workings of this family and the way the author set up the characters and their backstories was very good. The publisher's description states it "examines modern-day marriage, pregnancy, and parenthood." It's really a book about the relationships between siblings and the siblings with the parents, and how each person in a family gets locked into certain roles. I would recommend this book to fans of Elizabeth Berg (one of my favorite writers).
Kathy
I almost stopped reading this book a few times but kept hoping it would get better. It was a sad group of characters and the fact that their angst and self-absorption came to a boil at their father's seventy-fifth birthday dinner only increased my disgust with them. There wasn't a single character with which I could empathize and it was depressing to read about a family who were so separate from one another.
Juliet
I really really liked this novel. A weekend in the life of a family on the brink of the new generation, it was sensitive, insightful, fun, traumatic, heartfelt, moving, difficult and above all an enjoyable read. I can picture myself alongside the family on their beach house. Just my kind of book.

Written with great emotional and psychological insight, it is a journey into the harrowing and redemptive heart of family life. This is a story of marriage and impending parenthood but also confronts a number of tough issues - disability, marital burn-out, loss and miscarriage.
Vicki
Quite sad to start (for the first half actually!) Hoping it has a good lesson in the end?! Nope... not much. I didn't find much closure and I'm certainly not pleased with the book overall... oh well :(
Maureen
I loved this book. I kinda felt like I was reading about my own family. Great character development and the story was fantastic.
Michelle
This book had some definite bright spots - some nice writing and interesting characters, although none of the characters were particularly likeable. It was a fast read, though, despite the somewhat aggravating characters. I probably would've given this a 3 but I was really bothered by how the writer handled the "miscarriage" scene. When you're well into your third trimester, you don't just start bleeding and then have a D&C with no attempts to save the baby or even see if the heart is still ...more
Lori
stuck with it but regret doing it, found every character awful and extremely annoying
Amy
I enjoyed this book. I thought it really captured the dynamics of a real-life family. NO family is perfect. Each family member is very much their own individual and brings a unique dynamic to the family circle. It was interesting to see how they are interacted with one another.

Jake was so annoying. His constanct desire to impress and be acknowledged by his family was over the top. At times, I just cringed when I read about him.

I felt for Daniel. His life had been turned upside down by his accid
Abbie Proctor
Didn't really find any of the characters to be very likeable and didn't think it had much of an ending. I nearly stopped reading it a few times near the beginning, but it got a bit better during the second half.
Cindy
I plodded my way through this book all the way to the end, hoping for closure and/or some other revelation about what the characters learned through their traumatic experiences. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and I thought the ending was a bit abrupt in terms of the storyline, though appropriate given the nature of the events happening over the course of a long weekend. As others have said, I didn't particularly like any of the characters, and so I was a bit disengaged right from the start. N ...more
Marti
A sweet story, & I think they will all be OK eventually.
Megan Jordan
This was an interesting book with a lot of depth of character. I felt the author was very authentic with how her characters would react to life changing circumstances, but some of their traits were a little over done. Much like life I suppose. I was a tad disappointed in the ending because I like to know what happens to all the characters, and I flipped the last page stunned to see I was at the end. What happened to everyone? Again, that is probably personal preference. Intriguing read.
Erika
Pitlor is certainly a talented author and the simplicity of the book was engrossing. There was a lot of depth to the characters yet they were easy to relate to. The story was great with the exception of the flagrant lack of resolution at the end. The only acceptable possibility is that Ms. Pitlor is setting up a second book, which I would personally look forward to, but I do not believe that that is the case. I crave more information about these characters and their future!
Courtney
This book follows a family who are reuniting to celebrate their father's birthday. All 3 children are grown, and all 3 are dealing with very different pregnancy situations. They have to try and get along with each other, while dealing with their own situations. I liked this one, although it wasn't the most uplifting of novels. The characters were very distinct and interesting.
If I could, I'd choose three and a half stars for The Birthday because, though Pitlor's writing gets better as the novel progresses, it takes a while for her to find her sea legs. This is a family tale in an Anne Tyler vein, with believable characters who mistrust, misunderstand, misspeak, misstep---and who, in the end, love each other and show it.
Andrienne
This novel held such promise. It had enough mystery to propel me to finish the book. There were some really good moments where the author wasn't afraid to make the reader uncomfortable, but it lacked sincere depth to hold it all together. Maybe the author deliberately made the characters so neurotic, it failed to make them endearing.
Michele
When I first started reading The Birthdays, I thought it was a story I would enjoy...I was wrong. This one was just okay. The characters never seemed to mesh. I did not like the flow of the story and most of the time I just wanted to put the book aside and start something else.
Katie
Although I thought the characters were well written I felt like this story was really lacking something. I kept waiting for somthing to happen or for the plot to get better, but it didn't. The story just ended rather suddenly with no real resolution to any of the story lines
Jill
although an easy read, this book was a long story without much of a plot or story. the author gave away everyone's secrets to the reader very early on...so there were no surprises and no suspense. and in the end i just didn't really like any of the characters.
Susan Pithie
Enjoyable nothing too distinctive....I would have liked the characters not to have so much to say in their thoughts. It was little pat especially about the sister who was a single parent just falling into her new life. Not as much depth as could have been developed.
Elysabeth
Generally a little self-indulgent, and it made me feel, at times, like I was reading a harlequin romance.

However, the characters definitely seeped into my subconscious and I thought about them, and their particular situations probably more than I should have.
Anne Jones
It didn't get my attention right away so i left it and went to another. Came back and did finish it but wasn't that excited. Family gets together and they each have individual trials. The book does not tell how the trials end so that leaves yoi hanging.
Babydimps
I got through over half of this book and NOTHING was happening at all. I read as far as I could before I was so bored with it, that I just gave up. I have only given up in the middle of a book a couple of times, but I just could not finish this one.
Sue K.
(Spoil alert) Good - 1st novel. Family meets in Maine for father's 75th b-day. Each family is pregnant. Jake and Liz are rich - pregnant with twins. Hillary is pregnant and doesn't know who the father is. Daniel and Brenda - lose baby on way to birthday.
Kendra
I shouldn't have bothered with this one. So uninteresting are the characters and relationships in this book and yet I kept reading with the hope something would spark. I couldn't even read the last couple chapters and just skimmed to the end to get done.
Melissa
This book had an interesting concept with 3 women in 1 family, in various stages of pregnancy. But each character had so many issues. I guess I read to escape and I don't want to read about people going through the same type of issues.
Michelle Amarante
It's not often that I dislike the characters in a book, but this was one of them. What a bunch of self-absorbed people. I felt bad for the dad, he seemed to be the only really nice person out of the whole bunch.
Kristy
Novel centers on a family (three children and their parents) reuniting to celebrate Dad's 75th birthday. The book has a lot of promise and bright spots, but came across as dull and lackluster to me.
  • Winterkill
  • Lost Highways (Valentine, #1)
  • A Year of the Unexpected
  • Candles on Bay Street
  • Lone Star Cafe
  • Come Back to Me
  • Breaking Her Fall
  • Cross-X: The Amazing True Story of How the Most Unlikely Team from the Most Unlikely of Places Overcame Staggering Obstacles at Home and at School to ... Community on Race, Power, and Education
  • Bad Boy
  • The Love Market
  • Dream Bride (Silhouette Special Edition, 1231)
  • Secret Language
  • Magpie Hall
  • The Third Child: A Novel
  • The Invisible Heart: Economics and Family Values
  • Trick of Light
  • Life on Planet Mom: A Down-To-Earth Guide to Your Changing Relationships
  • Sometimes Mine
Heidi Pitlor has been the series editor of The Best American Short Stories since 2007. She is the author of the novel, The Birthdays. Her second novel, The Daylight Marriage, is forthcoming in May, 2015.
More about Heidi Pitlor...
The Daylight Marriage daytime marriage The Birthdays The Best American Short Stories 2015 100 Years of The Best American Short Stories