Start by marking “Poppy at Summerhill (Our Australian Girl - Poppy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Poppy at Summerhill (Our Australian Girl - Poppy, #2)

Poppy at Summerhill (Our Australian Girl - Poppy #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  59 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Poppy at Summerhill is the second story in a set of four about the amazing journey of a young Chinese Aboriginal girl, who lives on a Christian mission in 1864. It is a story of bravery and love, as Poppy sets out to chase her brother after he escapes from the Mission in search of freedom and a better life.

In this second book, Poppy is taken in by caring homestead family,
Published May 2nd 2011 by Penguin Books Australia (first published April 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Poppy at Summerhill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poppy at Summerhill

Faye
May 17, 2011 Faye rated it it was amazing
Very good read, great read for children to learn about history of Australia.
Rebecca
Eleven-year-old Poppy, a half-Chinese, half-Aboriginal orphan, has disgused herself as a boy and run away from the mission where she lived with other Aboriginal orphans. She is hoping to reunite with her brother, who had run away earlier. However, Poppy is badly injured. She is rescued by Tom, an Aboriginal man, who takes her to recover at Summerhill, the home of the family he works for.

At Summerhill, Poppy is treated kindly by the owners and their daughter, Noni, who becomes friends with Poppy
Heidi
When I read Meet Poppy in October 2011, I said that I hoped to read the following books the next weekend. Sadly, I didn't get to them until New Year's Day and shortly thereafter. (Sadly, I also spent the entirety of the previous review calling Poppy "Polly". I'm surprised no one pointed that slip out to me!)

I've really enjoyed the next two instalments (this 'review' will be for both book 2 and book 3), particularly as Poppy has grown to know and understand more about each side of her heritage. W
Jill Smith
Mar 18, 2014 Jill Smith rated it really liked it
It’s 1864 and Poppy lives at Bird Creek Mission near Echuca. She hates life there, only her brother Gus, living there too, makes it bearable. They are both part aboriginal, their mother died and their father disappeared leaving them to cope with Mission life. Gus teaches all the kids how to look for bush tucker, he often gets in trouble.

One day Gus tells Poppy he plans to leave to look for their father. Poppy is scared for him, but, he promises to return for her before her thirteenth birthday, w
Sally
Mar 20, 2012 Sally rated it really liked it
Read immediately on the heels of Meet Poppy and I liked this one so much more, yay! Definitely makes me want to read on :) Whereas after the first book, had I not also borrowed this at the same time, I possibly wouldn't have been as inclined to continue the series.

Injured Poppy is taken to Summerhill to recover, where she meets twins Noni and Joe. Joe is a horrid little snot, but Noni befriends Poppy - whom she thinks is a boy, and Poppy works very hard to keep this secret. Until an incredibly a
Jill Smith
Apr 21, 2012 Jill Smith rated it really liked it
Following 'Meet Poppy', this is the second book in Our Australian Girl series by Gabrielle Wang.

‘Poppy at Summerhill’, the adventure continues with Poppy getting badly injured, being rescued by an aboriginal roustabout, on the ‘Summerhill’ property, where he takes her to recover. She makes friends of the station owners children. She finds out more about her heritage and investigates her lead to find her Chinese father.

Check out the other two 'Poppy and the Thief' and 'Poppy Comes Home'.
Veronica
Sep 02, 2012 Veronica rated it really liked it
The second book in the Poppy series was the first I read,and I'm tempted to read the rest.This book may be a quick read,but reading it is like going back to the days the setting was in the story.The book is well written and the small illustrations have good detail.
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
t4truffles
t4truffles rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2011
Bookworm Wig
Bookworm Wig rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Lucy
Lucy rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Bookworm01
Bookworm01 rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2011
Olivia Kelly
Olivia Kelly rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2014
Hahgoot
Hahgoot rated it liked it
May 17, 2013
Catnis
Catnis rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Bethany Driscoll
Bethany Driscoll rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Ashleigh Dougall
Ashleigh Dougall rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
Marg
Marg rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Yu Heng
Yu Heng rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Annika Rasmussen
Annika Rasmussen rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Tiarhn
Tiarhn rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Isobel Watson Clark
Isobel Watson Clark rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2011
ify
ify rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Fiona MacDonald
Fiona MacDonald rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Yu
Yu rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Jolie
Jolie rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2014
Gabrielle Wang is an award winning children’s author born in Melbourne of Chinese heritage. Her great grandfather came to Victoria during the Gold Rush, settling in the town of Wahgunyah on the Murray River. In her twenties Gabrielle lived in China and Taiwan where she studied Chinese language, traditional painting and calligraphy. After working as a graphic designer she discovered a love of ...more
More about Gabrielle Wang...

Our Australian Girl - Poppy (4 books)
  • Meet Poppy (Our Australian Girl - Poppy, #1)
  • Poppy and the Thief (Our Australian Girl - Poppy, #3)
  • Poppy Comes Home (Our Australian Girl - Poppy, #4)