Start by marking “Xone of Contention (Xanth #23)” as Want to Read:
Xone of Contention (Xanth #23)

Xone of Contention (Xanth #23)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  2,534 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author of Zombie Lover

A wild and wonderful new magical adventure that leads from Xanth to Earth - and back again!

A cataclysmic cloud hangs over the enchanted land of land of Xanth. Three courageous couples must venture into the O-Xone, a cybernetic interface between Xanth and our own world, to rescue the enchanted realm from destruction.

A xany ne
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Tor (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Xone of Contention, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Xone of Contention

Benjamin Thomas
Oct 05, 2014 Benjamin Thomas rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-comedic
If you are an avid reader of fantasy fiction, then I highly recommend the first book of the Xanth series, A Spell for Chameleon. It is entirely worthy of its award of the 1977 British Fantasy Society Award (British August Derleth Fantasy Award) for the best novel of the year. The following 3-4 books in the series are also very engaging fantasy novels and I thoroughly enjoyed them as well. But then as the series continued the books began to sink into less than steller range, then merely OK and fi ...more
Brianne
Xanth yet again delves into a different world. Mundania. And not just anyone in Xanth, Nimby. A character that has much more to him then meets the eye.

I didn't have much interest in the story to begin with. But, it got better.
Kyra Dunst
Aug 16, 2013 Kyra Dunst rated it it was amazing
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. I love the quests that traverse the land of Xanth, taking us to new places, and introducing us to new bizarre things.
Mary Arkless
I love Piers Anthony's stories.
Don LaFountaine
Feb 10, 2016 Don LaFountaine rated it really liked it
Book 23 of the Xanth series is a fast paced, pun filled adventure that was a lot of fun to read.

Readers familiar with Xanth will have a passing recollection of the main characters from Mundania, Pia and Edsel. Edsel had bet his friend Dug that he would not like a new computer game. If Dug won, he would get Edsel's bike, and if Edsel won, he would get his girlfriend Pia. Well Edsel won, and he and Pia are married. Dug met and married Kim, and these four are business partners. However, while Kim a
Rob
Apr 13, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, humor
In this book, for me, Anthony stepped completely out of the fun and games and into my life. I won't spoil the book, but it has to do with Pia's illness. I actually resented her, and Xanth, and Anthony. Yes, he got to me that much.

I constantly see people running down the Xanth series on here for the puns (which, I remind you, is Anthony doing, so far as I know, an audience-participation event utterly unique in the length of its run, if nothing else) and the 'lack of plot.'

On that second criticis
Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 Paul Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I seem to need a fix of pun-ishment every once in a while, and for that I need look no further than an Xanth novel by Piers Anthony.

Can you believe this is number 23 in his long running series? And yes, I am a sucker for puns and light stories housing heavy themes.

This particular Xanth outing deals with prejudice and environmental issues - and if you have a problem with books that are kinda preachy about issues, I would suggest avoiding Pier’s stuff. It is pretty obvious and in your face (in an
Keith Beasley-Topliffe
Apr 30, 2015 Keith Beasley-Topliffe rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Xanth fans (not Xanth newbies)
Somehow I missed this Xanth book when it came out in 1999. It's very Xanthy, for all that a lot of it is set in Mundania. There were lots of reminders that even though Mundania is a lot like Earth, it isn't quite the same. Lots and lots, like calling Triple-B instead of Triple-A when a car (a Neptune, not a Mercury or Saturn) gets flooded. And lumbering onto the mesh instead of logging into the net. I love puns/wordplay and enjoy Xanth, but it really got tedious at times. Add to that some typos ...more
Jeremiah Johnson
Dec 16, 2013 Jeremiah Johnson rated it it was ok
This story was quite dull. I really didn't care about what was going on most of the time.
I really don't understand Chlorine's amazement by cars when she travels to Mundania. They spent time in an RV in a previous book, so they shouldn't seem quite so foreign...
The puns in this book were very bad. They served no purpose other than to add more unneeded filler to it.
Shaunture's "talent" of having incorrect words appear is amazingly stupid.
Thankfully, the innuendo that has been prevalent in previous
Rachel
Dec 22, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Xanth novels are a hilarious fantasy series about a land of magic and its inhabitants and occasionally some people from or in Mundania (the real world). One of the reasons I find the Xanth stories so funny is because Xanth is a land of puns. Even though I've only read a few of them and mostly random ones out of order, I've loved all of them, and this one was no exception. They are well written, the characters are well drawn, and the plots are a lot of fun.
Kirsti
Jun 06, 2012 Kirsti rated it it was amazing
This is another of the Xanth books I've only read once, and out of order at that time. All Xanth books can be read as stand alone novels in my opinion, but it helps to read them in order sometimes as well to get a full grasp on characters and situations. I really liked how they went back to characters that had previously been mentioned only briefly, and made them the main characters.

Very enjoyable book, I'll definitely read this one again and again.
Emmaa22
May 10, 2016 Emmaa22 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Awful. Just Awful. Full of horrible puns, not clever ones, or funny ones, just crap ones. Virtually nothing happens in the story, it is just a vehicle for the painful wordplay. Is it supposed to be ironic? There is a series of these?! And it seems to be very popular. I just couldnt subject myself to another one of these. ...more
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 Serena rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
While this book did have a few redeeming qualities, due to a lack of editorial contribution I would not recommend.

My Rating System:
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
Mar 10, 2010 Nichole ~Bookaholic~ rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
re-read this one for the alphabet challenge...it has been a few years since I read this and while I really like many of the early xanth series most of the newer ones were just "meh"...this was one of the few newer ones that I enjoyed reading
Marc
Jan 03, 2013 Marc rated it it was ok
Shelves: xanth, fantasy
I found this particular chapter of the Xanth series to be a hot mess. I didn't get what was going on or why and I never felt any connection to the characters or any sense that what they were doing had any meaning at all.
Crystal
Jan 23, 2013 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: piers-anthony
Meh. This re-read felt blah because it was so memorable to me when I read it 10 years ago that I still remember the whole story down to the details while re-reading it. Ten years ago I might have put this as a four or five star but today I kinda feel like two or three stars. Meh.
Debra Meyer
Nov 22, 2013 Debra Meyer rated it it was amazing
I really really liked this one I think its my favorite one so far. I adored the shots at microsoft and the world of computers.
Cathy Holford
Feb 01, 2012 Cathy Holford rated it really liked it
Shelves: anothony-piers
It was a pretty good read, but not as good as the books that took place mostly in Xanth. I don't care much for reading about Mundania....that's what I hope to escape from!
Michelle
Jun 21, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Just another typical Xanth book.
Jasmine
Dec 31, 2015 Jasmine rated it liked it
* - failed to finish it
** -finished it, but it was a struggle
*** -perfectly readable
**** -enjoyable read
***** -very enjoyable, would (or have) read multiple times
Natalie
Dec 03, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
Actually really enjoyed this one, I had been getting tired of all the puns, but having this partly in Mundania gave a break from all that and quite liked the storyline here too!
Ticklish Owl
What can I say, I have a thing for puns.
Dana
Sep 25, 2007 Dana rated it it was amazing
loved it
Lisa Blakemore-gill
Jun 27, 2013 Lisa Blakemore-gill rated it liked it
Read this because I ALWAYS read Xanth books. Not the best in the series, but enjoyed it anyway!
Laura Beth
Jan 21, 2010 Laura Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
still kind of funny with all the puns and such, but did not enjoy it as much as I did the previous ones that I read when I was younger.
Shawn
May 25, 2012 Shawn rated it really liked it
Young adult 10-15
Kaylynn Johnsen
Jun 21, 2009 Kaylynn Johnsen rated it liked it
Breanna is back and as annoying to me as ever but the other characters make up for it, especially Nimby and Chlorine. And guess what? They threw in a couple of Mundanian gamers, go figure.
John
Jan 12, 2011 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: shelf-o-shame
I think I've outgrown these books. I can't handle the never-ending puns for no reason.
Cooweescoowee
Dec 25, 2008 Cooweescoowee rated it liked it
Yet another book in the Xanth series. Very good opening. Quickly moves to the series typical adventure with lots of puns, interesting characters, and action.
Beorn
Sep 12, 2012 Beorn added it
Great Xanth novel - the usual breath of fresh air bag of fun.
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Encyclopedia of Xanth (A Crossroads Adventure in the World of Piers Anthony's Xanth)
  • Class Dis-Mythed (Myth Adventures, #16)
  • Vampires Don't Sparkle!
  • Sliding Scales (Pip & Flinx #10)
  • The Dragon and the Fair Maid of Kent (Dragon Knight, #9)
  • Mastering the Mistress (Brides of the Kindred, #14.5)
  • Horrors of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #5)
  • The Changes: A Trilogy

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth #10)