Knit 2 Together: Patterns and Stories for Serious Knitting Fun

Knit 2 Together: Patterns and Stories for Serious Knitting Fun

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  400 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Tracey Ullman has been known for almost 20 years as an award-winning comedian, actress, writer, and producer, well-loved for her eccentric and iconoclastic humor. She is also an avid knitter, and she brings the same freewheeling spirit to her most recent production, a book she created with knitwear designer and yarn-shop owner Mel Clark. Although she has been knitting sinc...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Knit 2 Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knit 2 Together

Jennifer Defoy
I really liked the patterns in this book. My only problem with the book is that the clothing patterns (like most books) are not made for big girls. So I will have to do some tweaking for some of the patterns.

I did like that there were stories with some of the patterns. I like Tracy Ullman and I liked her even more after reading this book. For some reason when I find out a celebrity is a knitter it makes them more "human" to me.

Overall I think that these patterns were fairly straight forward. I...more
Funny stories and adorable patterns. The patterns cover a wide level of skills, with Mel reminding us that Tracey only knit scarves before she decided to make some of these things, so we shouldn't be intimidated. The patterns are the knit equivalent of the really hot girl next door. Super cute, but approachable, and attainable because you knew her in her awkward stage when she dated the pimply kid in your brother's class.

I only wish that there were more sizes given for these patterns, because w...more
Kathleen Dixon
This is quite a nice knitting book with a wide range of items to knit (e.g. toys, baby clothes, scarfs, a woman's suit) - I found a couple of shrugs that I might make. The layout is nicely designed with what look like easy to follow patterns.

Tracey Ullman is a comedian, and her story about being able to knit only in straight lines is told most amusingly; Mel Clark is a New Zealander who ended up owning a yarn shop in California - their anecdotes along the way are interesting and fun.
Vita
Jun 04, 2014 Vita rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: craft
This book was serious fun, knitting or no knitting! Laugh out loud funny!
Maggie
I'm pretty sure I've read this book before. I know I've heard/read the story of Tracy Ullman chasing the car where she left her yarn. Still, it has some good stuff. Liked the patterns.
Caulyne B
There are a couple great patterns in this book. It is a funny knitting book-- something I didn't think would exist in this world. I rarely use the yarns suggested in patterns-- so I don't know how available the suggested yarns are. I made the herringbone doctor's bag-- and overall I was pleased with the results. There are a few others that I would like to try.
Diane
As a long-time Tracy Ullman fan I was biased towards liking this book before I opened the cover.

What is inside are eminently wearable and knit-able designs for all ages and genders.

Clear, understandable instructions, beautiful photographs, and everyday usefulness makes this a perfect book for knitters who are tired of shawls and beaded scarves.
Aug 19, 2007 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Knitters ready for some more sophisticated projects
I got this as a Christmas gift from Peter's mom, and I love it. There are a lot of really beautiful patterns for intermediate/advanced knitters. The combination of the knitting expert (Mel Clark) and the comedienne (Tracey Ullman) make for a light, easy-to-read tone, and the entire spirit of the book is "no matter how hard it looks, you can do it!"
Miss Mouse
This is a cute book. I never knew Tracey Ullman was a knitter or even designed her own patterns, so that was kind of a cool surprise. I enjoyed reading the little blurbs throughout the book (and the ones before each of the patterns too, which I usually skip), because they're so funny. The patterns were OK, but not enough for me to buy the book.
Jen
Purchased for Daphne's Baby Cape pattern (p75) ended up using another pattern (by choice of giftee and for time-sake) but am keeping the book because I will make this cape! Other patterns in the book are equally inspiring. Love the Luxe Neck Warmer. Ullman and Clark's wit throughout is worth the purchase alone.
Marla Glenn
This is really cute. Ullman's stories about her knitting fiascos are a hoot, too. Fun just to read, even if you don't knit. I want to make the slippers if the libraby will let me renew the book! Otherwise, I guess I'll have to buy my own copy!
Sonia
The really cool thing is that Tracey reconnected with her knitting at a shop in Fells Point in 2003. That had to be "A Good Yarn," while filming a John Waters film. There are some really good patterns that are on my endless list.
Melinda
I knitted my first big project (the satchel) from this book, and while I could have done a better job reading the directions, it came out useful. I'm using it as my knitting bag now 'cause it's a little too big to carry otherwise.
Les
Did you know Ullman means "wool man"? This is just one little tidbit I learned about Tracey Ullman, that and her love of all things knitting. Some cute patterns included, plus lots of laughs about her knitting adventures.
Knitology
Aug 28, 2007 Knitology added it
Shelves: non-fiction
'Knit 2 Together' features lively lessons from beginners and more than 30 original designs for knitters of all abilities and stripes - everything from a lady's detective hat and house slippers to a saucy apron and a table skirt.
Sarita
Apr 01, 2008 Sarita rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Knitters in Need of Inspiration
This is like one of those glossy cookbooks that you drool over but will never use to actually make food. Very fun to read, though, and her breakdown of basic skills at the end of the book is well-laid out and helpful.
Emily
I was really surprised at how nice many of the items are in here. There are personal little stories placed throughout the book, which, for some reason, seem a little annoying and unnecessary, but the patterns are good.
Zelda
She learned to knit while filming a John Waters movie. I can't help myself. I looked at Borders, I borrowed from the library, and I had to have my own, xeroxing would not suffice.
Stacie
Have had this one from the library before. Didn't make anything from it yet, but I like Tracy Ullman/Mel Clark and it's fun to peruse. A few cute things possible for in future.
Ann
Hilarious excerpts from Tracey on her battles and victories with knitting. Not stodgy at all and with great, realistic patterns. I highly recommend it.
Nitrorockets
Feb 26, 2008 Nitrorockets rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters
Shelves: knitting
I love this book. It has great patterns and I like the way there is a no nonsense appeal to the patterns. Great book that isn't boring.
Sarah Kingston
Not only funny (It's Tracy Ullman!), but some seriously cute patterns. I'm trying to make the cable-knit legwarmers.
Kate
Must go back and make Daphne's Baby Cape if I have a girl (page 75). Also like the Pimlico Shrug (page 108).
Heidi
Good discussions about knitting with Tracey Ullman providing a respite of humor.
Heywu
Jun 19, 2010 Heywu rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Tracy Ullman, the comedic actress knits. There are several cute patterns worth trying.
Daynalynn
What a fun book...Love the little mouse. was my favorite project (and my first stuffy)
Dharma
Cute, nice distribution of patterns. Didn't really read the bulk of the text.
Jessica
best book of patterns. Things I would actually make (and have) and wear.
Melissa
Really wonderful projects. I really want to make a pair of witches' britches!
Leah
Dec 30, 2007 Leah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters!
Shelves: knitting-things
It's much better than the dorky cover leads you to believe. Open it up!
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
  • Weekend Knitting: 50 Unique Projects and Ideas
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Loop-d-Loop: More Than 40 Novel Designs for Knitters
  • Scarf Style
  • Knitting Nature: 39 Designs Inspired by Patterns in Nature
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • Alterknits: Imaginative Projects and Creativity Exercises
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Nation
  • The Knitting Experience: Book 2: The Purl Stitch
  • KnitKnit: Profiles + Projects from Knitting's New Wave
  • The Vogue® Knitting Stitchionary Volume Two: Cables: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue® Knitting Magazine
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Victorian Lace Today
Tracey Ullman is an English stage and television actor, comedienne, singer, dancer, screenwriter and author.

Her early appearances were on British TV sketch comedy shows A Kick Up the Eighties (with Rik Mayall and Miriam Margolyes) and Three of a Kind (with Lenny Henry and David Copperfield). She also appeared as Candice Valentine in Girls On Top with Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders.

She emigrated...more
More about Tracey Ullman...
Tracey Takes On Puss In Boots Rabbit Ears Treasury of Storybook Classics: Volume One: Pecos Bill, Puss in Boots Rabbit Ears Treasury of Storybook Classics: Library Edition Rabbit Ears Storybook Classics, Vol. 4: The Tale of Peter Rabbit, The Tale of Jeremy Fisher, Puss in Boots