Start by marking “Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)” as Want to Read:
Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)

Castle Roogna (Xanth #3)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  19,573 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
Millie, a ghost for 800 years wants only one man--Jonathan, and he's a zombie. To prove himself, Magician Dor volunteers to get the potion that can restore Jonathan to full life. But he has to go back through time to do it, to a peril-haunted, ancient Xanth, where danger lurks at every turn....
Published June 23rd 1997 by Del Rey Books (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Castle Roogna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castle Roogna

Mistborn by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Eye of the World by Robert JordanThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks
Fantasy Books That Should Be Movies
79th out of 616 books — 682 voters
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. TolkienDragonsong by Anne McCaffreyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le GuinA Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony
Best Fantasy of the 70s
53rd out of 114 books — 171 voters

More lists with this book...

David
Nov 24, 2013 David rated it liked it
These books continue to be air headed fun. Three stars because they lack anything that resembles social importance, but Five Stars for fun. I love the fact that Anthony seems to share Heinlein's attitudes toward sex and nudity but with an underlying sense of moral responsibility.
Bink, the hero of the first two books, was forever being tempted but turned away to remain true to his fiancé in book one. When that fiancé turned from him, Bink fell in love with and finally married the mysterious Camel
Carolynn
Aug 30, 2014 Carolynn rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites in the series! I love how Dor tells Irene it's okay to be a women and that nothing is wrong it it. I Iove how many male characters recognize the neo sorcerous' power as fully Magician status while others won't. While this book does have some sexist characters it's not sexist, it's just funny. On to the 4th installment! Loving this silly trope on fantasy literature.
Angel
Oct 08, 2013 Angel rated it it was amazing
Xanth is what inspired me to read as a young adult, and continues to deliver the same with ever new book! I love em all.
Liz
Oct 26, 2014 Liz rated it did not like it
I lied. I haven't finished this book. I'm not even halfway through. But there are far too many brilliantly written life-changing novels out there for me to continue to waste time on Piers Anthony's fantastical drivel.

It's not unexpected. Books that are loved in childhood rarely stand up the second time around. There are a few exceptions, Harry Potter being one that springs to mind. But with the Xanth series it has just got the point where I cannot justify carrying on, and also I'm not masochist
Chan
Feb 05, 2015 Chan rated it it was amazing
Binks son Dor is sent on a mission to find an elixir for Millie the Ghost. He has to go back in time, 800 years, to do this. His adventure starts by going through a tapestry, and finding himself in a barbarians body. He teams up with a huge spider by the name of Jumper. The elixir he is to find will bring Jonathan the Zombie, back to life, for Millie the Ghost. In all this is a fun story, and Dor's magic talent of making inanimate objects talk brings a lot of humor to this book.
Megan
Apr 21, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
I'm going to miss Bink's misadventures, but Dor's are definitely at least as good. Like father, like son.
Don LaFountaine
Jun 08, 2014 Don LaFountaine rated it really liked it
Book 3 of the Xanth series takes place 12 years after book 2. Dor, Bink and Chameleon's child, is twelve years old, with a Magician level talent that makes others uncomfortable. In addition to that, he is now starting to notice the physical features of the female sex, specifically Millie, the former ghost brought back to life. As Millie is now Dor's nanny, he is closer to her than others, and is thereby more effected by her magical talent.

So, to help him learn about life, as well as prepare him
Marta
Aug 07, 2011 Marta rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, just-bad
So, the third book of the Xanth series (so far) I've liked the best. The plot line was interesting, the characters likable (I rather dislike Bink of the first two books). Most appealing of the character list to me seemed Jumper the Spider of unusual proportions.

I do have problems at times with the way the author illustrates women in his world of Xanth. Millie the Ghost was annoying in her role of parody damsel in distress. (but noes, Xanth is not sexist at all)

Also, I'm unsure about the target a
J Austill
May 03, 2015 J Austill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Xanth books. It is the first to have Dor as the protagonist.

One of the major appeals of this novel has always been the age of the protagonist. I first read it when I was 11 (the second time at 13), so Dor was easy to relate to.

The story is this:

Dor has just reached the age where he does not need a nanny anymore and yet he cares deeply about his nanny and wants to do something nice for her. As she is a Ghost, he decides that the best thing to do would be to bring her b
Mary Davis
Jun 13, 2012 Mary Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers
Shelves: books-read-2012
B&N Synopsis:

OK, let me just say, I am terrified of spiders. And what lurks on the cover of this one? A GIANT spider! It's amazing that I read this one - but I did when I was a teen - and I am so glad
Meli
Jul 03, 2013 Meli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

As it was ending. xD

The adventure lagged a lot due to heavy detail, but it makes sense. Considering that Xanth is based on a certain peninsula (Florida, I think?), yeaaaah. I do think that the world building was interesting, as always. I love how the writer wrote about Xanth as it was 800-ish years before Dor's time. It was enjoyable reading about evolution and how it easily explains the change of the land and its species under the influence of magic. :B Well, that's something I love ab
Natalie
Oct 19, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it
Castle Roogna is about a boy named Dor(who is the child of Bink)and how he goes on a quest to see the Zombie Master so he can get a restorative potion to restore Millie the former ghost's love Johnathan. However the Zombie Master lived eight centuries ago. So now Dor must go back in time, to the fourth wave when the king was King Roogna. On his quest he encounters many thing that are not in his time such as a wool plant(a sheep which is a plant)which is extinct.

My favorite part is when he inco
Siobhan
Sep 25, 2014 Siobhan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I approached this series seemingly secure in the knowledge that so many people in my high school class adored it - mostly the males. Now I know why. I also have some insight into why the vast majority of those males treated females like trash.

What sad, misogynistic shit these books are. I forced my way through the first three and that's as far as I'm willing to go. I wouldn't recommend these books to anyone and I deeply regret suggesting them as possible reading for my son. I'll be correcting th
Julie Decker
Jul 25, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was ok
Dor, son of Bink, has the power to communicate with inanimate objects. One day, he decides to help his ghost nanny, Millie, reunite with her lover Jonathan, who is a zombie and needs to be resurrected. But to solve this puzzle, Dor has to travel back in time and meet the first Xanthian king.

I wasn't very invested in Dor's quest because he more or less literally got handed a plot and went off to do it. Very little of what he does is of his own volition, so he spends the book reacting and being le
Nicole
Jun 30, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it
Castle Roogna is a magical story filled with time travel and always amazing puns.

Dor is the son of Bink and Chameleon, a full fledged wizard Dor is most likely the next to inherit the crown. Able to talk to any nonliving thing few secrets are kept from Dor. I really liked Dor, while he was like his father in Bink some ways it was clear Dor was struggling to find his own path and grow into his own man. At twelve years old Dor is just starting to enter the path of becoming a man. Having been given
Ian Black
Feb 21, 2014 Ian Black rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Castle Roogna
The 3rd Xanth Novel

This is a third Xanth novel. Castle Roogna. This book is about a magical land named Xanth. Dor is trying to do something good for someone he knows because trent, the king of Xanth, told him to. Dor is about to be king. He needs to go back in time to find the Zombie Boss to bring millie the maid’s zombie boyfriend back to life.
If you like magic, and restrictions, I advise looking at this book. It has lots of magic, and is very realistic to be a magical land. It’s
Enikő
Dec 09, 2014 Enikő rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite some of its drawbacks, I really did enjoy this book. I found it to be very imaginative and well written. Piers Anthony is a big name in his genre, but this is the first of his books that I have read. I was pleasantly surprised the minute I started reading. There is not a word lost, not a mundane detail in this book. (Apart from the Mundanes, of course!) I really appreciated all the puns and humour. This story was original and thoroughly entertaining. However, I do have two bones to pick ...more
Shay
Mar 09, 2015 Shay rated it it was amazing
Dor is an IDIOT! I had predicted who Jonathon was by page 158! It was confirmed for me by 173. I remember being so frustrated with the dramatic irony that it made this book all the better!
Chris Evans
Mar 11, 2015 Chris Evans rated it it was ok
I dislike the entire series a great deal. In fact, I've started using Xanth as a measurement for how bad other book series are.

I managed to get through 5 Xanth books before I couldn't bring myself to continue any more. 5 books before I would rather listen to nothing while driving than be subjected to Piers Anthony's writing any more.

It isn't the worst series I've ever read, I only managed 4 Maze Runner books, and 3 Divergent.

In truth, it was the Ogre being propelled like a rocket by vomiting Bl
Ben Twoonezero
Feb 25, 2015 Ben Twoonezero rated it it was amazing
Excellent, clever, imaginative and touching. One of his best.
Jenniffer
May 19, 2014 Jenniffer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the last book! I'm enjoying re-reading the series.
Kristen
Dec 26, 2013 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorites. Who can resist a giant heroic spider!
Tomherndon
Aug 09, 2015 Tomherndon rated it liked it
I think this one improved upon some of the issues the first two generated, but I still find myself standing with most of the other comment writers. The spider is great - kind of like Samwise or other support characters we've come to rely on in some of the great novels/series.

This is still fun and the explanation of universe especially great to provide meaning to the gap and history of the other fantastic creatures in Xanth.

I'm going to stop here on the series and go back to some other well remem
Erikas Cicenas
Feb 07, 2014 Erikas Cicenas rated it it was amazing
It was just awesome
Steve Kunitzer
A pleasant, easy to read, juvenile Xanth book by Pies Anthony. Not your average coming of age story since the main character starts as a young boy, becomes a young man through a magical, historical transformation for a knowledge and item quest, and returns back to the present day to his young boy form. As usual, the puns and play on words are plentiful and woven into the story. There are a lot of books in this series and I don't think I could read more than a couple back-to-back.

Summary [not nec
Bryan
Feb 10, 2010 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Castle Roogna is third in the Xanth series, and actually a better book than its predecessor (The Source of Magic) but not up to the standard of the initial Xanth debut (A Spell for Chameleon).

I really enjoyed the time travel aspect of this book, seeing how Xanth developed in earlier times. I liked the character of Jumper.

Con: Once again, extremely sexist. But it's light entertainment, and I'm not reading this to obtain my sense of morality.

Also: I saw the plot resolution with Millie the ghost an
David Sarkies
Apr 25, 2014 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tweens who liked the Harry Potter Books
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: fantasy
Time to send the kid into the past
30 December 2011

This is the third of the Xanth series. Now, I was not inclinded to write any more regarding the books in this series because, to be honest with you, there is probably not much more to write beyond the basic plot of the story, however I felt that maybe I should put at least a little comment into the review part of this book, despite the fact that there really isn't all that much to review.
Probably the reason why I ended up reading a lot of the X
Swankivy
Apr 22, 2013 Swankivy rated it it was ok
One of the few things I really liked about Xanth was that time moved forward. There are lots of fantasy series in which time goes so slowly that it seems like no one ever gets older. But in this book, the protagonist is Dor--the son of the protagonist from the previous two books in the series. And he's old enough to think and act and do stuff. Of course, he has a Magician-strength talent: inanimate objects communicate with him. Which can be very useful.

The portrayal of women continues to get on
Tom
Sep 01, 2012 Tom rated it it was ok

This is the third in a series of fantasy novels by Piers Anthony set in the mythical world of Xanth and stars the son of the protagonist from the first two novels, Dor

Dor is the heir apparent to the throne of Xanth and as educational tool the current king, Magician Trent sends Dor back in time 800 years to find the ancient and mysterious Zombie Master. While Dor is in reality a young boy he inhabits the body of a full-grown man during this quest and it presents an opportunity for Anthony to show

Josh
Dec 07, 2012 Josh rated it liked it
So this is the end of the Xanths. Overall I'd say I liked the series, but I doubt I'll be recommending it to many friends.

Xanth was recommended to me by a coworker, right after I started him on Pratchett's Discworld. He said that it was a pretty similar style. In some ways it is, in the sense that there's humor thrown in to a fantasy setting, but I thought that both the writing and the humor were weaker than Pratchett. Every joke (and I mean every) in the series is a pun. One pun after another.
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #1)
  • Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)
  • The Time of the Transference (Spellsinger, #6)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • Camber the Heretic (The Legends of the Camber of Culdi, #3)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth #10)
  • Heaven Cent (Xanth #11)

“Being terrified but going ahead and doing what must be done—that's courage. The one who feels no fear is a fool, and the one who lets fear rule him is a coward.” 157 likes
“By all means. Swords have ever been the best servants of crazy men.” 5 likes