Start by marking “The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)

The Secrets of Vesuvius (The Roman Mysteries #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  952 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Flavia, Jonathan, Lupus, and Nubia-friends and detectives-sail to the Bay of Naples to spend the summer with Flavia's uncle, who lives near Pompeii. There they uncover a riddle that may lead them to great treasure. Meanwhile, tremors shake the ground, animals behave strangely, and people dream of impending doom. One of the worst natural disasters of all time is about to ha ...more
Published May 24th 2004 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Vesuvius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Vesuvius

Kevin de Ataíde
Pliny the Admiral, Mordecai the Jew and Aristo the Greek tutor? Well, how original. The best part about this book is its educational value; the author seems to have done a lot of research before writing; there is mythology Roman and Greek, precise geography and maps of the period, descriptions of the Roman towns and technology, culture and language... The pace of the book is rather slow, but it is intended for children. But the more famous Enid Blyton had a much faster pace in her books; Blyton, ...more
Stuart

I was very excited when I discovered Caroline Lawrence because in my view she is the Robert Harris of children’s fiction and Robert Harris is one of my favourite authors. There are certainly similarities in the quality of writing and underpinning depth of knowledge which is evident in Lawrence’s The Secrets of Vesuvius and Harris’s Pompeii.

The Secrets of Vesuvius is a beautifully written book, full of interesting vocabulary, both English and Latin. Lawrence manages to effortlessly develop her ch
sabisteb
Band 2 geht nahtlos in Band 1 über. In diesem Band lernt man etwas darüber, wie die Römer die Stunden einteilten.
Auch über den detailgetreuen Ausbruch des Vesuvs, bei dessen Beschreibung sich die Autorin an die Beschreibung des Plinius zu halten scheint (die habe ich in Latein auch mal übersetzen müssen), erfährt man viel, sogar was an pyroklastischer Strom ist.
Anders als in den Klassischen Kriminalromanen für Kinder wie 5 Freunde, entwickeln sich die Personen weiter und man erfährt in jedem Ban
Matti Karjalainen
Sep 30, 2012 Matti Karjalainen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5-7 luokat, historiasta kiinnostuneet
Caroline Lawrencen "Vesuviuksen salaisuudet" (WSOY, 2004) on toinen osa Roomalaismysteerit-sarjassa, joka kertoo kymmenvuotiaan Flavia-tytön ja hänen ystäviensä seikkailuista antiikin Roomassa. Nyt ratkotaan niin aarteen jäljille johtavaa arvoitusta kuin ihmissuhteitakin Vesuviuksen juurella.

Lawrence kirjoittaa jännittävästi ja saa historiallisen miljöön elämään kuvaten niin tapakulttuuria, antiikin myyttejä kuin aitoja, historiallisia henkilöitäkin (muun muassa luonnontieteilijä ja amiraali Pli
Leah
Jul 10, 2013 Leah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older Children/Teens into Mysteries
Recommended to Leah by: The front cover attracted me
This book in the series in much more fast-paced than the previous one and the story seems to focus more on others than on Flavia, making me enjoy this story more.

I loved learning about Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius, and how the ash clouds covered everything. I loved how the four friends spent a while tryying to figure out the riddle of the treasure. Meeting Clio was enjoyable and I loved how her Christian family help him to believe his son's dreams and he becomes Christian too. Also, even though it
R. C.
Cooper
This is a good book about a bunch of mystery solving kids who go over to Pompeii to visit their uncle. Little did they know that the majestic Mount Vesuvius was about to explode changing Pompeii forever. A tragic story about the attempts to escape the terror of Vesuvius. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in historical fiction books.
Eric Zulueta
It is very easy to get hooked to this book series.. The pacing is fast and the book is full of insightful tidbits about what life could have been like in Ancient Rome..

The last part of the book was so engaging that I couldn't stop reading until I've finished it.

Can't wait to get started with the next book!
Jeanette Johnson
Once again this exciting, fast paced mystery brings the roman culture back to life. I always wondered what happened prior to Vesuvius erupting and burying Pompeii.In this mystery we get a first hand vision of some of the terror and difficulties the people experienced before their mountain exploded.

It's the summer of AD 79, and Flavia Gemina the sea captain's daughter along with her friends Jonathan the Jewish boy; Nubia the African slave-girl; and Lupus the homeless beggar-boy set sail for the B
Caz
Out of the ones i have read to far this is passing for my favorite of them as it describes the eruption of pompeii quite well.
Vicki Cline
In August of 79 AD, Flavia and her three young friends go to her uncle's farm near Pompeii. They meet Admiral Pliny, the famous author of Natural History and a mysterious young blacksmith named Vulcan. Given the date and place of the novel (as well as the title), I don't think it's a spoiler to say that much of the action takes place around the eruption of Vesuvius. There is naturally a good bit of tragedy in the book, unusual for something aimed at pre- and young teens.
Deeneez
YA book about a scholarly 10 year old girl of ancient Rome who has a penchant for solving mysteries. Flavia's family and friends travel to the country side for a retreat...and the chance to solve a riddle a cryptic riddle, and the find the mysterious blacksmith Vulcan.

The true story is about the erruption of Mount Vesuvius, it's devastating destruction and the courage of survival of those who escaped.

What is great about this series is the details of life of ancient times...and it's not glorifi
Paula
So boring, I fell sleep reading it -.-
I hate it, sorry
Ujwals
This book is on fire! It has a trapping plot that never weakens and I really like how it refers to real ancient Roman facts such as dates and people. It also explores the Roman problems in ancient times like religion and slaves. It had a lot of characters, which was sometimes hard to follow, and there wasn't too much mystery, more action suspense. The writing style was varying, sometimes lull, but at other times a page turner. I would recommend reading this book for readers who enjoy historical ...more
Dolly
Apr 16, 2014 Dolly is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
This is the second book in The Roman Mysteries series by Caroline Lawrence.

interesting quote:

"'Fortune favors the brave,' he quoted. And added to Phrixus, 'You can write that down.'" (p. 135) [see more about this quote here]
Evan
Lawrence steps up her Judeo-Christian moralism in The Secrets of Vesuvius while shirking things like drama, tension, and earnestness. There is no mystery to speak of (other than a riddle, to which the answer is GOD), and the adventure elements that replace it are lackluster. Besides the heavy Christian framing, there's also an annoying preponderance of romance. The Secrets of Vesuvius throws away all of the good will of its flawed predecessor.
Wea1021
Sep 01, 2007 Wea1021 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th grade and older
My kids really enjoy these books. We listened to this title in the car duirng a trip. It's not all fluff, some serious situations and themes are in the series, but it's peaked the kids' interest in ancient Rome. It seems to me that the historical references are accurate so the kids are asking quesitons about life in Rome during that time. Good stuff for them and even mom and dad find them enjoyable ;-)
Sindhu iyengar
Quiet good....!!
Karen
Mar 28, 2008 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: puellis puerisque fortibus (Did I get that right?)
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
Wow. Made the eruption of Vesuvius real, terrifying, tragic. Vividly revealed how unexpected the eruption was, how deadly and how devastating. Of all the "Roman Mysteries" I've read, this one made the deepest impression on me.

Also, an ancient riddle features in this book. According to the author, it remains unsolved to this day. Romans, you are officially awesome.
Abigailann (Abigail)

Described for ages 8+, this book was equally as good as light reading for an adult. I loved the way that the author presented a lively and interesting tale, whilst maintaining a good degree of historical accuracy in the detail. A book that I would thoroughly recommend. I am going to hang on to so that I can share it with the young people in my life.
Skyla Swan
I love this book
I think it's really interesting
Kendall
Jon
The second in the children's Roman mystery series. Probably the best of the three I've read so far, since it deals quite vividly with the eruption of Vesuvius in 79AD and includes a few real people--most notably the elder Pliny who died during the eruption. The mystery is very secondary to the setting in this one.
JaNel
Second in the series. This is a great series about a group of kids that find mysteries to solve in ancient Rome. Fun to read with my 10-year-old. This particular book I didn't like as much. It was sad and heavy with the characters dealing with an erupting volcano for half the book. More of a downer.
Phair
I think this is one of my favorites of the series. A lot of it is very graphic and the themes tend to be mature for a children's book- especially one aimed at younger kids. Very realistic and vivid depiction of the eruption and immediate aftermath- you feel you are THERE. Love this series!
Silver
Why yes, as many other people stated, it does justify an OK point of view of the eruption of Vesuvius. However, I find that the book itself is horribly written - filled with stereotypes, clichés, and fairly unoriginal in general. (Note: read in french, might have an effect on book)
Dawn
It had good characters and a good story. You never knew what was going to happen next; it never let away the secret and so had a surprising ending. The ending is important in a story and this had a good ending.

By Daisee
Deborah Harris
Nov 30, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a8
AR Quiz No. 65958 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 5.0 - AR Pts: 6.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Edith Lee
SO GOOD. i would give 100 stars!!! ****************************************************************************************************************************
  • The Ruthless Romans
  • Conspiracy (Lady Grace Mysteries, #3)
  • I Am the Great Horse
  • Tiger, Tiger
  • Pompeii: A Roman Girl's Diary, AD 78
  • Transported: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Australia, 1790
  • Black Heart of Jamaica (Cat Royal, #5)
  • The Shadow's Curse (The Knots Duology, #2)
  • The Great Plague: The Diary of Alice Paynton, London, 1665-1666
  • Frederica in Fashion (The Six Sisters, #6)
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...
The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1) The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3) The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5) The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4) The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)