Nodi: Paradigmi di rapporti intrapsichici e interpersonali

Nodi: Paradigmi di rapporti intrapsichici e interpersonali

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  498 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Maestro riconosciuto dell'antipsichiatria, Laing ha sorpreso tutti con questo volume di poesie che, apparso nel 1970, rappresenta in realtà, e con coerenza, una delle facce della sua ricerca. Il libro illustra infatti le concezioni di Laing sui modi di relazione fra gli individui, cioè «sull'esperienza e il comportamento interpersonali». Ognuno di noi si fa del comportamen...more
Paperback, Piccola Biblioteca Einaudi. Nuova serie, 942 pages
Published 2004 by Einaudi (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Nodi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nodi

Jean
An unusual work by the Scottish psychoanalyst R.D.Laing, this is a book of poems, or dialogues, dating from 1971. Each poem describes a different kind of relationship, indicating the knots people will tie themselves into through preconception or misunderstanding. Laing calls them "tangles, disjunctions, impasses or binds". The relationship might be that of parent and child, lovers or analysts. The bonds can be of love, dependency, uncertainty or jealousy. Sometimes the relationship is obvious, b...more
Katelyn
Opening chunk:

“They are playing a game. They are playing at not
playing a game. If I show them I see they are, I
shall break the rules and they will punish me.
I must play their game, of not seeing I see the game.”

It's pretty much all like that.
Debarun
This is madness.
Poetry of madness.
Anna
I love this book. I read it off the shelf when I was young. I was enthralled. It is more of a nostalgic thing now. But it is still fun. Massagingly therapeutic to work through the puzzles. I mark it here in an almost humorous way. But at a certain stage, it is interesting. Foodly for the early separator. To the already-separated, it will be banal. Don't ask me what I mean by separated - I made it up! Actually to the already superseded and already cured, it could be embarrassing to witness those...more
Chris
Logic homework for cognitive therapists?
"Knots" is a collection of "poems"(?) which resemble circuitous dialogues or logical progressions..
You begin with a thought, which reflexively leads to another, and so on- ultimately producing a tangled mess of paradoxical neurotic beliefs, a knot (added to this are your thoughts about what another person is thinking, and what they think you are thinking, so on).
These knots lead to constricted action and dilemmas in interpersonal situations.
The final knots...more
Jane
Jan 03, 2011 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults, psychology or sociology focus, self-help
An odd book and one that took me several years of self-exploration to really "get". "Knots" is a guidebook to the patterns that play out in relationships between people. It doesn't offer solutions, or even advice on how not to play the game(s). What it does offer is a decent map of how the cycles can play out, what parts we sometimes play. Sometimes just being able to look from the outside and see what the pattern is can allow us to pick it apart or even to opt out. It's certainly not a comforta...more
Luisa
Heartbreaking ironies.

What an interesting finger
let me suck it.

It's not an interesting finger
take it away.

— Page 89.

The statement is pointless.
The finger is speechless.

— Page 90.
Craigreg
Pure madness.
Philip Glass of poetry.
This was my introduction to R.D. Laing, who has written several amazing books.
Rachel
AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!
Erik Graff
Dec 22, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a psychological roundtable
Recommended to Erik by: R.D. Laing's books
Shelves: psychology
R.D. Laing is primarily known as a psychiatrist specializing in the study of schizophrenia which he maintained, and attempted to prove, was more a result of environmental than of genetic factors. The ethical consequence of this claim, if true, would be that so-called schizophrenics could change their own conditions.

Having read his seminal works on the psychoses, I was happy to find another, more popular, book by him remaindered at a local bookstore. It proved to be, for me, a disappointment.

The...more
Robert Mooney
If you can read this book and understand it through to the end, you will be able to understand anything, most of all yourself. Simple phrases become almost indecipherable knots, woven back and forth and inside out. Pick it up and read a few pages. You'll want to throw it across the room, but keep at it. I've been trying to understand since '73. It gets a little easier to comprehend each time and, as I grow older, a little easier to retrieve. I can't throw as hard or as far as I used to.
Scot Quaranda
All in all
Each man in all men
All me in each man

All being in each being
Each being in all being

All in each
Each in all

All distinctions are mind, by mind, in mind, of mind
No distinctions no mind to distinguish

In "Knots," author R.D. Laing portrays the innumerable webs we weave in our mind that tangle and fray and continue on and on and on and on until what was at the root likely a simple misunderstanding or words unspoken becomes something so deep seeded that we are unable to untie them and begin ag...more
Ben
Incredibly insightful, if somewhat mind boggling at times.
Pick it up and flick through it and it may appear deceptively simple, or even misleadingly crazy (which in some ways you could say it is).

Take with a pinch of salt I would say. Accept or reject the ideas presented (or a bit of both), and either way you'll come out of it with something important.

Rob
Found this among my old books. I first read it in the 70s, after Gentle Giant put some of it to music on one of their albums. My English teacher thought is was "doggerel". After having been through some 'knots' in relationships myself, it now seems a bit like John Cleese's Families and how to survive them. And it rhymes now and then.
Ffiamma
quindi non sono bravo
non sono bravo
perché non l'ho ottenuto
non sono bravo
perché ho voluto ciò che non ho ottenuto
devo badare
di ottenere ciò che voglio
e di volere ciò che ottengo
e di non ottenere ciò che non voglio
Ruby
Feb 08, 2009 Ruby rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ruby by: Kaye Melbourne
This was amazing the first time I read it, and sometimes I read it just to confuse myself. It kind of makes sense in a strange way and otherwise it just enchants me. I'm not even entirely sure why.

It's the ultimate book for people trapped in their own heads.
Mara
Stumbled across my copy of this today. I had forgotten just how much brilliance was contained within so few words... Couplets to live by.
Meghan
This is structurally very interesting. I thought it dragged at moments, but then, that's what existence does, I guess.
Paul Gelsthorpe
Although this book tackles a thorny subject (the complexity of human relationships) it is done in such a pointed, minimal but experimental style it's hard not to tend to agree with many of the points RD Laing is making here.

Essentially, this highly sylised look at why relationships work or fail examines the idea of mutual dependency.

The main premise is quite simple - 'We have and argument. I feel bad, because you feel bad. You feel worse because I don't feel bad enough' and so on and so forth.

R...more
Charles Dalrymple-Fraser
I approached Knots with an air of novelty. Of all of Laing’s bibliography, Knots stood out for its unrevealing name, against the backdrop of other more plainly psychological works. Flipping through, I was curious: was it a collection of reflective aphorisms, or an overstated attempt at simple poetry?

Having read the text with more care, I’m not sure that it is either, though the former certainly if either. As other reviewers will note, Laing approaches the complex issue of interpersonal relations...more
Logan
Poetry written by a psychologist. 'Nough said. But I honestly have no idea who R.D. Laing is. I just found this book for a buck at a thrift store. I opened the book, read a few pages, it looked interesting enough. However...

One trick pony. Might have worked at 30 pages, but not 90. Here's a poem from the book:

Jack is afraid Jill is like his mother
Jill is afraid Jack is like her mother

Jack is afraid
Jill thinks he is like her mother
and that Jill is afraid
Jack thinks she is like his mother

Jill is...more
Adam
Ridiculously good. Made my brain hurt with a lot of the recursive writing. The rambling, the loss of meaning, the recursion, and the social critique was amazing. There's nothing like not being able to move past a page with 6 lines for like 5 minutes. The first poem is still my favorite.
Andreia
Very, very original and creative.
Kiof
Even though overall it is a mediocre book, Knots is definitely worth looking through. The book is filled with some brilliant insights into circular reasoning, along with some self-conscious, purposefully baffling poetics. Take it with a grain of salt, but not so much that you miss the brilliance of some of these riddles. Criticism aside, I would highly recommend reading Knots because the book’s insights are so unique. And it’s really short.
Ned
Knots is half poetry, half psychology. In a series of poems varying in length, Laing lays out the excruciatingly illogical thought patterns that we all go through in as simple a manner as possible, almost like paradoxical equations. Of course, some of these thought patterns are still thoroughly complicated and confusing, and so this book requires a lot of concentration in order to understand it. It will frustrate you, but it's worth the effort.
Eden Glenn
This is a brilliant book of psychological 'think' poetry from the 1970's. While it is a small book of only about 79 pages, some of the emotions exposed and R.D. Laing's ironic revelation of human nature will take you from laughter to sober reflection. I read it back in the 70's and it is worthy of a review now some forty odd years later.
Jim
A most unusual poetry book. Had an immense impact on me when I first read it and I've never read anything quite like it since. I've written a lengthy appreciation of the collection which you can read on my blog here.
Jerman
This is a short and intensely trying book. I think one has to manifest the patience to get wrapped up in Jack and Jill's dilemmas, which are false.
I enjoyed the zen-ness of the last chapter, but wouldn't recommend it.
Jessica
Aug 11, 2007 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who hear voices.
all the enemies of the human spirit are in this book because they are in your head. the author playfully and accurately illustrates how absurd and irrational our thoughts are.

Martha
I learned that R. D. Laing is one strange fellow. I love his earlier books but this one is a little hard to wrap my head around. I intend to keep at it however.
KNOTS ! 1 8 Nov 26, 2012 02:27PM
  • The Coming of Age
  • Shamanism, Colonialism, and the Wild Man: A Study in Terror and Healing
  • Society Against the State: Essays in Political Anthropology
  • Call Me by My True Names: The Collected Poems
  • TAZ: The Temporary Autonomous Zone (New Autonomy)
  • Sex and Temperament in Three Primitive Societies
  • American Indian Stories, Legends, and Other Writings
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • Capital, Volume 2: The Process of Circulation of Capital (Das Kapital, #2)
  • In the Absence of the Sacred
  • Tarrying with the Negative: Kant, Hegel, and the Critique of Ideology
  • The Body Remembers: The Psychophysiology of Trauma and Trauma Treatment
  • The Collected Songs of Cold Mountain
  • Secrets of the Talking Jaguar
  • The System of Objects
  • The Antonio Gramsci Reader: Selected Writings 1916-1935
  • No Nature: New and Selected Poems
  • Rational Mysticism: Spirituality Meets Science in the Search for Enlightenment
Ronald David Laing was a Scottish psychiatrist who wrote extensively on mental illness – in particular, the subjective experience of psychosis. Laing's views on the causes and treatment of serious mental dysfunction, greatly influenced by existential philosophy, ran counter to the psychiatric orthodoxy of the day by taking the expressed feelings of the individual patient or client as valid descrip...more
More about R.D. Laing...
The Divided Self: An Existential Study in Sanity and Madness The Politics of Experience/The Bird of Paradise Sanity, Madness and the Family: Families of Schizophrenics Self and Others The Politics of the Family and Other Essays