Among Warriors: A  Woman Martial Artist in Tibet

Among Warriors: A Woman Martial Artist in Tibet

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In the fortress that is Tibet no place is more remote than the province of Kham and no people more elusive than the Khampa, the fierce horsemen who for twenty-five years waged a relentless guerrilla war against the Chinese occupation. In Among Warriors, a different kind of warrior sets out to find the Khampa: Pamela Logan, an American with a Ph.D. in aerospace science, and...more
Published February 24th 1998 by Vintage

Amber
I really enjoyed this travelogue. The author is strong and independent, traveling throughout western China and Nepal with really only her physical, emotional and intellectual strength to move her on over the months. I love that she is honest about the sometimes ridiculous nature of travel. And, unlike all the other travelogues I have read lately, she is traveling for herself, not in search of love to complete her as a person.
Erin
Overall I thought it was a very goo book for karateka and other martial artists. The scholar of Tibet inside of me often rebelled at the Orientalist nature of the assumptions the author continuously made throughout the book (such as Tibet being synonymous with Buddhism). But as a travelog of a martial artist and her trials and lessons learned as a martial artist and as a person through her travels I found it insightful.
Sherap Therchin
Being a Khampa myself,it's a great feeling to read it. I could actually imagine myself going through Pamela's journey, especially Dhorpatan. This book was a random pick but once I started I couldn't keep it down. I am not sure how others might feel about this but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Never thought Dhorpatan my birthplace would become a part of any book.
Zan
Sep 21, 2008 Zan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hardly anyone
Shelves: recycling
At first, this tale of a martial artist traveling through Tibet really engaged me, but sadly it soon became as arduous to read as her bike trek through grueling mountains and the infamous beaurocracy of Chinese officials turned out to be.

I couldn't finish it.
Anne
I enjoyed this book, though it was largely poorly written. It is obvious that Logan is a scientist and not an author, because she consistently used awkward constructions in her writing. That being said, it was still an engaging and interesting read.
Rebecca
This was not the best-written book, but it is an interesting depiction of the author's travels by bicycle and foot in Tibet and China. I especially enjoyed how her Shotokan martial arts experiences are woven throughout.
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Annabelle.voo Voorhees
Annabelle.voo Voorhees is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2013
Liz G
Liz G marked it as to-read
May 24, 2013
Bernie Gourley
Bernie Gourley marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2012
Tibetan Rescue: The Extraordinary Quest to Save the Sacred Art Treasures of Tibet Among Warriors Tibetan Rescue Among Warriors: A Pilgrim in Tibet