Start by marking “Nessuna conseguenza ” as Want to Read:
Nessuna conseguenza

Nessuna conseguenza

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  2,756 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
"A Mark Sanderson piacevano le donne. Quanto a questo, gli piacevano anche le bistecche di filetto Aberdeen Angus, al sangue, con contorno di cuori di lattuga, e si godeva le une e gli altri con lo stesso, anche se fuggevole piacere. Se per caso si sentiva un po' affamato, telefonava all'opportuno fornitore facendosi mandare nel proprio attico quanto gli occorreva. Poteva ...more
Published 1990 by Mondadori (first published 1982)

Arjün Kaül
Jan 30, 2013 Arjün Kaül rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I had to introduce young people to the joy of reading, this is probably one of the books I'd highly recommend. Compelling stories, all masterfully crafted and well written by a smooth literary hand that never eases up the excitement. There's a reason why Frederick Forsythe is one of the kings of thrillers. This book has ten examples of that.
Don't take my word for it. Here read a sample of the first story and decide for your own self.
Peter
Apr 05, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books ever written. I absolutely love "The Emperor" This book left me hungering for another short story fest with Mr Forsyth but alas it was not to be. I have read this book many times and find old hardcover copies to give as gifts.
Minnie
Apr 08, 2013 Minnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book languishes in the book collection of our beach house and this weekend I reread it again. It is generally difficult for me to rate a collection of short stories because their quality can vary from excellent to dismal. "Duty" and "Sharp Practice" are my least favourite stories but "Privilege" and "A Careful Man" are rare and precious gems that should be used as examples of how short stories should be written. My best quote comes from Privilege, when the judge looks at the complainant and ...more
Nancy
Jul 24, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This read was a surprise for me. A friend bought this book, originally published in 1972, at a library book sale and gave it to me. Just glancing at the cover I determined this wouldn't be the kind of book I would normally read, figuring it was a kind of who-dunnit read. But am working through the 30 books unread on my bookshelf and chose this one this week.

What a lovely surprise as I discovered this to be a book of 10 short stories, most about crime and whether it pays or not and a few that wer
Sonia Gomes
Apr 05, 2009 Sonia Gomes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Sonia by: Got an old copy, which I never would swap !
These ten stories keep you on the edge of the chair throughout, nail biting suspense,always with a twist at the end.
My favorites "Money with Menaces" and "Used in Evidence" absolutely fantastic.
No spoilers here!!
Viceroy
Nov 26, 2012 Viceroy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of short stories each with a unique twist at the end. In true Frederick Forsyth tradition, each short has , good plot pacing and wonderful descriptions. Would certainly like to read more short stories by this author.
Cheryl
Jun 13, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never been a fan of the short story. I picked this up and was hooked on page one. All the stories are excellent and no two are the same. I would highly recommend this book. The story called The Emperor will be one that stays with me a for years.
Richard Jr.
Apr 13, 2013 Richard Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
No Comebacks by Frederick Forsyth (4.5 - 5 Stars)
Forsyth is a master on the same level as Wilber Smith when it comes to being a raconteur of tales. In the same was a Smith, he picks an area of the word he knows best for this set of short stories an pulls the reader in from the first paragraph. Of the ten short stories, I actually have three favorites and a fourth that I loved although it has a slight flaw which may never have been pointed out in previous reviews.
First, a bit about my three fav
Thomas Strömquist
My absolute favorite collection of short stories and a great accomplishment by the author. All the stories herein succeeds in keeping the interest, twisting and surprising, while staying on the right side of disbelief. No-one will read this one and then fail to mention "No snakes in Ireland", which is wonderful, but there are 9 more great ones as well. Recommended for reading aloud also!
John Pye
Jun 08, 2013 John Pye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a real sucker for short stories and this book did not let me down. These I found were Forsyth at his writing best with some great lines and plenty of wit in some of the tales... from the retired bomb disposal officer to the wealthy underworld entrepreneur/gangster the characters are splendid and believable concoctions from Forsyth's imagination. A good book.
Namiko
Dec 03, 2012 Namiko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book includes four short stories by Frederick Forsyth:

No Comebacks
There are some days...
A Careful Man
Sharp Practice

It was very short and easy for me to understand the plots so I could read it very quickly even when I was too tired to do anything.
Ben B
Feb 26, 2011 Ben B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
A collection of wonderful, unforgettable short stories. Some, like the title story, appear to be studies or sketches for full-length novels. Others, such as "Used in Evidence," are perfect gems, with nothing more to be added.
Tereza Fuková
Jul 13, 2011 Tereza Fuková rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the krimi stories were really impressive with surprising end. But two last - "A Careful Man" and "Sharp Practice" weren't really krimis and I knew from the beginning how this story ends.

Aditya Patil
Jul 02, 2017 Aditya Patil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Can't possibly explain how much I enjoyed reading this book. Read it during a very difficult and dreary time; few pages everyday after too much of mental exhaustion, and it has been a great relief. There are very few books, this included, that give you the feeling of pure enjoyment.

The first story alone, though I enjoyed the rest, deserves five stars.
Christian D.  Orr
An excellent collection of short stories by Mr. Frederick Forsyth, all loaded with intrigue and ending with fiendishly clever plot twists. The ending of the opening--and titular--story has arguably the most shocking and gut-wrenching ending of them all. IMHO, the most satisfying are "The Emperor" (a bit of "The Old Man and the Sea" meets "The Taming of the Shrew" for lack of a better analogy) and "Privilege" (it's great to see an uppity, seemingly untouchable mainstream media journalist get his ...more
Douglas Lord
Mar 23, 2016 Douglas Lord rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought these ancient short stories were really good. Nothing incredible, even a bit pat. Three short stories are collected here, each tightly wound with tension, logic and suspense. Set in Britain, Forsyth's investigations dwell upon the fine art of planned homicide. Plots are built carefully: a protagonist is introduced and defined, a motive is created, and events ensue with moribund rigor. The title story focuses on playboy Mark Sanderson, a man who "liked women," perhaps to a fault. He fal ...more
Jan C
Sep 26, 2009 Jan C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, suspense, 2016
I put this done for several years. So there must have been something missing in the first few stories in this collection. Because at least six of the last 7 were just terrific. I only exclude the last story because it was a little predictable.

The other stories had such a reminiscent flavor of O. Henry, who I read many years ago. He uses a similar turn of irony in these stories.

If I have a favorite story, and I'm not sure that I do, it may be "Used in Evidence". In this story, a man is smeared in
Vijai
Jan 05, 2013 Vijai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: onetimeread
An OK read, really. Mr Forsyth tries to shove the twist-in-the-end plot twist in every damn story, Thing is, it works with some and fails miserably with others.

Case in example being that story of the judge getting conned. It was so plain obvious the priest wasn't who he was and that the other dude was playing him but the author had to drag the reader into an unnecessary court room scene and then the equally flat anti-climax.

Pick this book if you are broke at a second hand mart to satiate that
John Clark
Jun 02, 2013 John Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I believe that anyone would enjoy you can short stories even if they are not spy enthusiasts. Each story has its own unique setting and characters all of them completely believable and Each story ends with a twist the reader could not imagine. I highly recommend this book.
Gina
Jun 18, 2009 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gina by: Mark
Really good, really quick read. The book consists of 10 short stories, most involving some form of revenge. Every story kept my attention, and the writing was clear and interesting.

My favorite story, by far, is Privilege.

The book is clever, and definitely worth a read.
Linda
Oct 21, 2011 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends
Recommended to Linda by: no one
GFrederick Forsyth is one of my favorite authors. This is a book of short stories, not my favorite favorite literary form. These stories were 'Forsythian.' 'Favrian' is to football what 'Forsythian' is to literature. Both men are at the top of their game. (Brett, that one was for you!).
Peregrine 12
Nov 29, 2010 Peregrine 12 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this one but didn't get to finish it. However: these stories, written largely in the 1970's, are a LOT of fun! Very exciting read. I will finish this one soon, I hope. (Tip: Check out Forsyth's 'The Afghan' and 'The Veteran').
Traghunath
Jul 29, 2009 Traghunath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title story is without doubt one of the best short stories ever written....gives a whole new meaning to the term 'down to the wire'
David
Oct 06, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic collection of short stories, each with their own particular flavour
Nanda
Sep 30, 2010 Nanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the first short story in the book, "no comebacks" will stun you, well, you cant stop reading the others after the 1st one!
Kelly
Nov 26, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid collection of short stories, each with a nice twist. A masterful storyteller.
Craig
May 01, 2012 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories are fantastic. One of the few collections I reread occasionally.
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The unforgettable - No Snakes in Ireland - and other equally good ones one has come to expect from Forsyth.

No snakes in Ireland especially remains in memory due to its twists and turns on a story of a person ridiculed and humiliated beyond endurance planning and executing a scheme to frighten and humiliate someone much larger, stronger and a bully in his own land, with a surprise and a fright; the surprise however is an element that weaves its own course what with a live snake being involved, an
A.J. Barnett
May 19, 2011 A.J. Barnett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book of short stories from a master story-teller.
Klela
Feb 19, 2017 Klela rated it really liked it
In questo libro non troviamo il solito Forsyth impegnato in spionaggio e thriller, ma un autore diverso, i cui racconti sono semplici storie, che però hanno una certa ironia, sono taglienti e molto particolari..non tutte le storie mi sono piaciute...sicuramente "nessuna conseguenza" (il racconto che dà il titolo al libro) è il migliore, poi ci sono "In Irlanda non esistono serpenti", "Una lunga esperienza" e "Certi giorni"...questi sono i miei preferiti, ma devo dire che anche gli altri sono mol ...more
Suggestions for thriller short stories 5 17 Apr 04, 2013 06:14AM
  • Lost Burgundy (Book of Ash, #4)
  • Traitor's Kiss
  • A Twist in the Tale
  • In the Hour Before Midnight
  • The 40-Minute War
  • The Moneychangers
  • The Last Frontier
  • Cross of Fire (Tweed & Co. #10)
  • Thunder of Erebus
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • French Kiss
  • Rickenbacker: An Autobiography
  • The Shadows of Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Collection)
  • Leaders
  • The Gemini Contenders
  • Only When I Larf
  • Savage Wilderness
  • Bahama Crisis
Frederick Forsyth, CBE is an English author and occasional political commentator. He is best known for thrillers such as The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, The Fourth Protocol, The Dogs of War, The Devil's Alternative, The Fist of God, Icon, The Veteran, Avenger, The Afghan, and recently The Cobra and The Kill List.

The son of a furrier, he was born in Ashford, Kent, educated at Tonbridge Scho
More about Frederick Forsyth...