Start by marking “The Six Fingers of Time” as Want to Read:
The Six Fingers of Time

The Six Fingers of Time

The book has no illustrations or index. Purchasers are entitled to a free trial membership in the General Books Club where they can select from more than a million books without charge.
Published September 18th 2010 by General Books (first published September 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Six Fingers of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Six Fingers of Time

Jill
Oct 25, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story, fantasy
Found a reference to this king of short story writers in Neil Gaiman's collection of short stories, 'Fragile Things' (pb, 2006) - in the introduction to 'Sunbird.' Neil Gaiman admires Lafferty, writing that Lafferty "was, for a little while in the late 1960s and early 1970s, the best short story writer in the world.. his stories were unclassifiable and inimitable - you knew you were reading a Lafferty story within a sentence. When I was young I wrote to him, and he wrote back."

I found this Six F
Juliette
Jun 13, 2011 Juliette rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite short stories from R.A. Lafferty. I have several of his collections that are currently out of print and I'm glad this short is out in the e-world.

This story is basically about a man who wakes up one morning and finds that time has almost stopped for him. For every minute that passes for him, only a second of real time has gone by. He learns the secret to turning this ability on and off and takes advantage of it in a variety of ways, both scholarly and well, sneaky. Som
Daniel Otto
Dec 12, 2013 Daniel Otto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can get a digital copy of this free online. It's one of my favourite Lafferty stories - by turns full of wonder and comedy and also tinged with the sinister. It's not his most remarkable in terms of prose (though the writing snaps along crisply and richly enough), nor is it his most remarkable in terms of extraordinary characters or happenings. Many of his other stories can be much wilder, weirder, funnier, more poetic, and more profound than this one. But it's still a favourite of mine and ...more
Purity Anddeath
Interesting story.

I read this awhile ago. I'm a fan of Lafferty and like this story a bit but it brings up some of his odd themes that don't really go anywhere, which is a little irksome. Not long though so worth a read through.
Perry Whitford
Oct 07, 2015 Perry Whitford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles Vincent awakes one morning and starts clumsily breaking things. Then he notices that all the clocks have stopped. Well, not stopped exactly, but are running in super slow-motion.

He goes out and the people walking and driving and eating all seem to be dead. Only they are moving, they are eating, their eyes open and close every minute or so. Strange.

He goes to work and puts in a record day, sleeps at his desk and when he wakes the next day, time has resumed at its usual pace. Did he just
Dione Basseri
I was actually surprised to note that this is an older, public domain work. While I didn't enjoy it a whole lot, it felt like it had a more modern sentiment than an early 20th century work. Feels more like the 1990s, to me (looking back at older times, of course).

A man wakes up to find the world moving at a fraction of normal speed. He comes to learn from a strange man that special individuals--the six fingered--have this skill, but it comes at a price. Or, at least, with a bargain. And when he
Jennifer Ramsey
Mar 15, 2015 Jennifer Ramsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Neil Gaiman, I have discovered a new-to-me local author just when I thought I’d read them all. How I missed Lafferty, I have no idea. His works are original and funny but dark at the same time. Of his short stories, this is one of my favorites. We’re held in suspense and mystery just the same as the main character. The best part, Lafferty doesn’t feel the need to explain every detail of his premise. It is up to the reader to draw their own conclusions to some extent and leaves a bit of ...more
Katie Daniels
Jul 16, 2014 Katie Daniels rated it really liked it
What would you do if you had all the time in the world? What if the people who were able to give you that time offered immortality to go with it? What if all it cost you was your soul?

Charles Vincent is given that choice and how he treats the power that's given him, and the reasoning through which is goes to arrive at his decision shows a brief glimpse into who we are as humans, and what we are capable of becoming.
Karen Heuler
Dec 04, 2014 Karen Heuler rated it liked it

Certainly has a feel to it... but leaden dialogue kind of drags down the neat ideas. I like the whole six-finger deal, the secret society controlling time, the eeriness of some of the scenes (and how strange that women accepted his presence; I don't know what to make of that). Well, yes, very interesting indeed. 3.5 stars
D.M. Dutcher
It's a decent story with weird prose styling, especially in dialogue. A man discovers he has the power to slow time to a crawl. Why does he have this power, and what can he do with it? I think you'll like it if you have a taste for odd science fiction, but apart from the general sense of oddness the book has, the story isn't all that good or memorable.
Sonia
Jul 08, 2011 Sonia rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Once again, another great short story from Lafferty. I definitely enjoy his writing style and thought this story was highly entertaining. I still prefer Sodom and Gomorrah, Texas over this The Six Fingers of Time, but I like both enough to say that I think I'm a fan.
Dan
Jul 04, 2015 Dan rated it liked it
I took Gaiman's advice and read some Lafferty. I found him charming, witty, intelligent and thoughtful. Well-paced.
Mike
Aug 26, 2013 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, gutenberg
An odd story (well, it's R.A. Lafferty), with a protagonist who falls short of actual protagonism a lot of the time, and doesn't do all that well when he does attempt it.
Richard
This story originally appeared in If magazine in September 1960. Charles Vincent (and author Lafferty) explore time travel from a unique perspective.
Bill
May 25, 2014 Bill rated it did not like it
I was advised to read anything by RA Lafferty I could. This was a freebie on Amazon Kindle. Definitely didn't make me want to read more.
Tom Lichtenberg
A perfect intersection of Borges, The Twilight Zone, and a sort of old-fashioned hard-boiled pulp fiction, this classic story hits the spot.
Martin Kalfatovic
Martin Kalfatovic rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Cedric
Cedric rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Wylie
Wylie rated it did not like it
Nov 01, 2014
Craig Werner
Craig Werner rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2011
Lindsey Sparks
Lindsey Sparks rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Clint
Clint rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Fred
Fred rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2013
Tracey Neet Niblack
Tracey Neet Niblack rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Elisabeth Perrin
Elisabeth Perrin rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Luisa
Luisa rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
J Joaquin
J Joaquin rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Ани
Ани rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: numbers in title and sort order 5 24 Sep 06, 2014 11:50AM
Raphael Aloysius Lafferty, published under the name R.A. Lafferty, was an American science fiction and fantasy writer known for his original use of language, metaphor, and narrative structure, as well as for his etymological wit. He also wrote a set of four autobiographical novels, a history book, and a number of novels that could be loosely called historical fiction.
More about R.A. Lafferty...