Start by marking “Mercenary (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mercenary (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #2)

Mercenary (Bio of a Space Tyrant #2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,850 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
This is the second in the series BIO OF A SPACE TYRANT, featuring the stages in the life of Hope Hubris, the Tyrant of Jupiter, and his beloved sister Spirit.
Published August 20th 2000 by Xlibris Corporation (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Mercenary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercenary

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Military Science Fiction
347th out of 583 books — 888 voters
1984 by George OrwellDune by Frank HerbertBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyAnimal Farm by George OrwellThe Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin
SciFi Economies across the Eighth Dimension
58th out of 62 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Monique
Sep 23, 2015 Monique rated it did not like it
Shelves: terrible, ebook, sci-fi
I would give this book -5 out of 5 stars if I could. Instead it gets 1 star rating as that is the lowest I can give it.

The novel takes place right after Refugee. Hope has his ID stolen so the only work he can find is as a plant harvester. He gets introduced into a friendly, family-oriented friendship that he eventually takes with him when he is forced to join the Navy. While in the Navy he finds his sister who joins him in the Navy. Due to his abilities and his strong crew he manages to win a fe
David Sarkies
Aug 31, 2015 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to David by: Initially a friend
Shelves: sci-fi
Hope & Spirit join the Navy
3 March 2012

This is the second of the Bio of a Space Tyrant series and has the protagonist, Hope Hubris, join the Jupiter Navy attempting to destroy the space pirates that haunt the Asteroid Belt. This is probably a logical follow on from the first book since in the first book he had been constantly raided by space pirates as he and his family attempted to flee the moons of Jupiter to find a better life on the planet. However it seems that as soon as he arrives on
Dave
Dec 30, 2014 Dave rated it it was amazing
It took me several decades to track this book down and I'm glad, in hindsight, that I read it as an adult and not as an impressionable teenager. This is the second volume in Piers Anthony's "bio of a space tyrant" books, documenting the rise of Hope Hubris from penniless refugee to becoming the great tyrant of Jupiter. The style of these books is akin to the Master and Commander style nautical epics but in space.

As in the previous book there are space pirates with an unquenchable lust for savag
Sherrill Watson
Written in 1984 by Piers Anthony Jacob. How Hope Hubris (a man) became a Captain in the Navy; covers time from his age 15 to 25(?). Carefully crafted book so as to not alienate minorities.

Hope has two characteristics that are unique. One, that he can tell when someone is lying, and assess their characteristics like Sherlock Holmes, if he focuses on it. Two, he is not, or cannot be subject to any addictions.

He is led by QVD (whatever that is, we don't find out) through promotion after promotion
William Bentrim
Jun 04, 2010 William Bentrim rated it did not like it
Bio of a Space Tyrant Refugee Vol.1 and Mercenary Vol. 2 by Pierce Anthony

Volume 1 details how Hope Hubris reaches Jupiter and the horrific conditions he faced on getting there. Volume 2 details the rise of Hope Hubris in the Jupiter Navy and his campaign against the asteroid belt pirates. The books purpose to be the biography of the tyrant of Jupiter. It is written in almost a text book style.

I have mixed feelings about the book. Anthony seemed intent on providing a sense of normalcy for all
Jack
Jun 06, 2012 Jack rated it really liked it
See my review of Book 1.

The notes I had on this book stated that I bought Book 1, 2 & 3 with money I received for my 40th birthday. I bought them for $1.75 each. *chuckles*

In this book, Hope Hubris and his sister, Spirit, join the Space Navy and rises up the ranks as they both go after the space Pirates that killed their friends and family members. He becomes ruthless, efficient and cold. But he also sees injustice within the system he's embraced. As a "hero" he now turns toward politics to
Darien Felldrake
Feb 03, 2014 Darien Felldrake rated it it was ok
The rape kinda got out of control. An entire culture where wedding rituals are based on simulated or actual rape seems...divested from reality. Pages could be written on the attitudes the female leads and pirate women have on this practice, but I'm too lazy. A bit more racist and misogynistic than the last one, too.
Buggz79
Sep 24, 2014 Buggz79 rated it liked it
After the utter grimness of the first book, refugee, we pick up on Hope Hubris's tale of galatical domination.

I liked this book. Some of the scenarios and their resulting solutions were quite novel.
Greg
First off the whine... Again the Kindle edition needed a proof reading pass. Instead of hyphens being the issue, this time it was line breaks, where a line would break early
and then continue on the next line. Not a big thing but jarring when you're reading it.

Like the others, this is my 4th'ish reading of this book and I still enjoy it. This one grabs me because of my Army experience. Sure I kind of doubt they would have the same structure (S1, S2, etc) in the future, but it still struck a cord
Stephen
Sep 27, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
Much better than the first instalment!

Without wanting to give too much away and then mark this as a hidden review, this story reminded me of the earlier books in the Honor Harrington series by David Webber. Fans of that saga could dive straight into this and enjoy the story even without reading part one.

There is lots going on in this one. Varied and diverse sub plots while keeping the flow of the story moving along nicely. The only criticism I have is that it ended too abruptly. Maybe I just ne
Deven Elliott
Oct 21, 2015 Deven Elliott rated it it was amazing
I liked it. One of the first newer authors ( after Clark,Asimov,Heinlein,Bova ) I tried with SciFi.
Lisa
Sep 10, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, space-opera
Another Re-read. This one is better than the first just because I like space opera better.
Brandon
Jan 28, 2014 Brandon rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series, but the sex in this book is off putting and only continues to worsen through the series. Still a good read
Jeremiah Johnson
Aug 02, 2015 Jeremiah Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly a different tone than the first book in the series. This one keeps up the good characterization started therein.

Philip
Apr 15, 2015 Philip rated it liked it
Good sci-fi tale.
Leanna Aker
This is a great, interesting 2nd volume in the Bio of a Space Tyrant series. I've always liked Piers Anthony, but tend to like his sci fi better than his fantasy works. Hope Hubris, in the first book, fled his homeland and watched his family brutally murdered (well, most of them).

This book details his rising up through the ranks of the Jupiter Navy, a meteoric rise, to say the least. This book is riveting, and easy to read. A real gem!
Jay
Jul 26, 2013 Jay rated it it was ok
Shelves: military-sf
Something of a guilty pleasure. I liked the protagonist's Navy adventures in terms of forming a team and advancing in rank, and mapping 1980s geopolitics to the solar system was kind of fun. However, the attitude towards sex was groan-worthy, the science was pretty bad, and describing space battles as exactly corresponding to ancient battles didn't really work for me. Liked this book as a teen, but the shiny has faded a bit since then.
Christopher Gilmour
Jan 24, 2014 Christopher Gilmour rated it it was amazing
It was all right
Otto
The first book in the series is the story of a space ship full of refugees, and all the horrible things that happen to them along the way. It is a collection of non-stop brutalities and tragedies that are meant to set the tone of the universe in which the rest of the series is set. Full of sex and violence. Pulpish but enjoyable. Heavy handed allusions to historical situations abound.
Simon
May 31, 2013 Simon rated it it was ok
Continuing to re-read this series I read when I was at school. I remember them being brilliant, but on revisit.... yeah, what is it with Piers Anthony and rape? The first book was basically rape-rape-rape-rape-rape-murder-rape. At least the second book has stepped away from the rape a bit, but ye gods, he's still obsessed with the topic.
Nicole
Jun 12, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Not bad overall, definitely not for the gentle minded as there are several disturbing portions of the book including rape and the senseless murder of a toddler boy.

I had a little trouble relating to the mentality of the protagonist but I have to admit, I have never been a confused teenaged boy.
Tim Greaton
Jun 11, 2011 Tim Greaton rated it it was amazing
I loved this entire series and reread it several times, though not in the last decade. My next reread, I will provide a detailed review. The evolution of the character and of the political changes he accomplishes are so beautifully modeled after the very problems we wrestle with on Earth each day.
Bryan457
Hope works his way up in the Jupiter military, with the goal of destroying the pirates in the solar system.
This is my favorite of the series.

I give it an R rating for the amount of sex in it.
Mykl
Mar 06, 2012 Mykl rated it really liked it
This book follows Hope as he progresses in the military. I enjoyed watching the team that he assembles and how cohesion is built. The plot regarding QFY progresses as well.......
Kate
Apr 28, 2013 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another re-read. I still enjoy this series but had forgotten how much it dwelt on sex and rape. Could be quite triggery. Trying to remember what book 3 holds...
Sean Randall
Oct 01, 2009 Sean Randall rated it really liked it
As gripping an instalment as the first, although the sex does seem somewhat overbearing. Still, the political climate and the military stuff is pretty good.
Sherri
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Roxanne
Feb 28, 2008 Roxanne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have not read this book because I am trying to find the first in the series, and once I do I will beging reading through the books.
Shane
Jul 30, 2012 Shane rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. The first book was so depressing. It was great to see Hope climbing the military ladder against all odds.
Mikey Pietrzak
Feb 08, 2011 Mikey Pietrzak rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot better than the first, a lot of ass-kicking here, reminds me of ender's game. not as good tho, but fun.
  • The Court of a Thousand Suns (Sten, #3)
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
  • The Deluge Drivers (Icerigger, #3)
  • The Birth of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #4)
  • The Warrior
  • The Stars at War (Starfire, #1-3)
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • Falcon Guard (Legend of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy, #3)
  • The Sagittarius Whorl (Rampart Worlds #3)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Bio of a Space Tyrant (6 books)
  • Refugee (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #1)
  • Politician (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #3)
  • Executive (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #4)
  • Statesman (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #5)
  • The Iron Maiden (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #6)