Start by marking “Missione Eagle (Le avventure di Dirk Pitt, #7)” as Want to Read:
Missione Eagle (Le avventure di Dirk Pitt, #7)

Missione Eagle (Dirk Pitt #7)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  11,352 ratings  ·  178 reviews
Impegnato a difendere un suo progetto innovativo a sostegno dei Paesi dell'est, il presidente degli Stati Uniti si trova improvvisamente alle prese con un disastro ecologico dalle incalcolabili conseguenze: una micidiale sostanza sta fuoriuscendo dal relitto di una nave affondata nel golfo dell'Alaska e tutti coloro che ne entrano in contatto muoiono tra atroci sofferenze. ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Published 2002 by TEA (first published January 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Missione Eagle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missione Eagle

Feliks
After this chapter in the Dirk Pitt saga, its really time to call a halt. Sensible, rational, self-respecting readers should all retreat, beyond this point.

Its the last of the Pitt episodes which has any kind of credibility or plausibility whatsoever.

Clive Cussler (the author) unfortunately, does not know when to stop with this goofy series. He is dazzled by his name on movie posters and on supermarket check-out aisle paperback racks.

An author of grossly immodest self-appraisal, overweening a
Tony
I cannot say that I disliked the book, but I'm not sure that I need to read another Cussler story. He's a good writer, in that action and adventure sort of way, where leading men are strong, moral and all of the women love them. His stories are well plotted, lots happens, not necessarily by the way of surprise plot twists, but the action scenes are well thought out with the hero racing from one predicament to the next. At the end of the book, the hero saves the damsel and the villain perishes. N ...more
Felicia
It seems like each time I start reading a Clive Cussler book I finish the first chapter and say, "Oh my god this guy can write." This was no exception. This story is quick, entertaining, and thoroughly enjoyable. As I noted last time, it also has too many coincidences, takes on plot elements so big that they verge on ridiculous and diverges sharply from reality. This doesn't bother me, although I admit that I think that Tom Clancy does a better job with realism. On the other hand, I don't think ...more
Brooke
This actually ended up being better than I expected. After being disappointed by too many books in a row, I decided to go for the next Dirk Pitt novel on my TBR list. I figured that at least I'd know I was getting into melodramatic and over-the-top situations. Clive and Dirk delivered what I was looking for and then some - a Russian scheme to brainwash the President of the United States, emotional promises of vengeance coupled with pounding fists, and a half a dozen ridiculous reasons for female ...more
Kristen
In the 7th installment of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt NUMA action-adventure series, Deep Six, Dirk Pitt returned in this thrilling novel. A deadly tide of poison flowed into the ocean, a ghost ship drifted across an empty ocean, while a Soviet liner went on fire, and the Presidential yacht cruised across the Potomac while the President disappeared without a trace. Dirk and Al took on a sinister Asian shipping empire and fought to save the country, while seizing one moment for revenge.
Teo Hoppe
While Cussler's fans, who number in the legions, faithfully purchase each new novel as it comes out, there has been a change in the novels as they have become longer in length, with more exotic locales and more fantastic in their stories.
Deep Six is one of the older n
John Shumway
This is the same comment for all the Dirk Pitt books:
Great set of books, I had to stagger these books into my reading rotation since they are so similar.
Dirk Series Book in less then 50 words.
(introduction to bad guy, introduction to hot chick, introduction to Dirk, Dirk gets in impossible dangerous situations to stop the bad guy, Dirk wins, Dirk gets the hot chick.)
Joe
Is the man you see boarding the helicopter really the president of the United States? In this case, he’s not, but it’s going to take a moment for the rest of the country to be clued in. And that isn’t even the central crux of this fantastic story.

This is an interesting cross between the late Tom Clancy and David Baldacci. Crazy good is one way to describe the story. It’s got your typical mix of Russians, Koreans, terrorist plot and corporate intrigue.

Give it a shot. It takes a moment for it to c
Neil
This was a fast read. One of his 'shorter' books, due in part to it being an earlier adventure. It moved at a fast pace and is definitely vintage Cussler. So much better than the stories being co-written with and written by his son! It has a fast flow to it and, as always, requires some kind of suspension of disbelief when reading, but aren't all James Bond movies like that?

The book starts out with a scene from the mid-60s where a young woman steals $128,000 from her bank, takes on a new identi
Christine Blachford
Somehow, despite being written in 1984, Deep Six doesn’t seem to have aged badly. Although a book that relies heavily on technology, whether it is transport or computers or gadgets, it hasn’t become obsolete. Quite a lot of the plot overview, the reasons behind the trouble, the politics involved, it all washed over me.

However, I loved some of the more simpler, James Bond style bits. From cars exploding, boat fires to uneven fights on water. It was good stuff, but perhaps not Cussler’s best work.
Barbara ★
I'm not much into the whole political scene so I didn't enjoy this adventure as much as I usually do. Though I do love the way Clive Cussler mixes up events in the past (in this case 1965) with current events (in this case trouble with Russia in 1989). He usually has a bunch of seemingly unrelated events that he masterfully weaves into an incredibly cohesive story that drags you in and keeps you turning pages as fast as you can.

All in all I thought it was a suspenseful (though rather gruesome) s
Bryan
Great brainless summertime read: Clive Cussler has made a very successful career at producing fast paced, entertaining adventures which provide us with a clean cut hero in the form of Dirk Pitt as he finds himself battling yet another villain out to ruin the world.

Nader Elhefnawy
Clive Cussler's Deep Six can be thought of as something of a transitional work for the author, occupying a space in between his early, tightly focused, short novels like 1976's Raise the Titanic, and the sprawling epics which came later, starting with 1986's Cyclops.

This transitional quality is apparent in Cussler's handling of the book's two main plot threads – the first, an investigation of a marine disaster in the northern Pacific, and the second, the mystery following the disappearance of th
Donnie Springfield
The Clive Cussler formula is simple: historic event leads to present day discovery, but the hero isn't the only party interested in the historic find. Action ensues, the bad guys are beaten and the hero gets the girl. The formula is not tired, but this is an exhausting outing for hero Dirk Pitt.

Dirk Pitt is an all American Jacques Cousteau and James Bond hybrid, a collector of classic cars, connoisseur of classy women and expert in all things oceanic. In Deep Six, Pitt faces the destruction of
Holly
Apr 09, 2011 Holly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Clive Cussler fans!
In this seventh installment of the Dirk Pitt series, Deep six we get a whole lot more Dirk, which I loved! Unlike the last two books that switched around with different points of view every few pages, and not having Dirk's point of view almost at all, in this one again it does switch points of view but not nearly as much also as I said it has a whole lot more of Dirk's point of view.

Deep six, which I still don't understand the name unlike the others where I figured it out in the book, is about
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
The publisher’s summary calls Deep Six a fast-paced adventure, but I’m not sure I would classify it that way. Actually there is a bit more intrigue involved in this audiobook than action. Much of the story is taken up with the kidnapping of several high-ranking American politicians, and other officials jockeying for position in the now leaderless government.

Having said that, I must note the one obvious exception that occurs at the climax of Deep Six . The bad guys are using an old, decrepit l
Alanis Garcia
Clive Cussler books are an all right read, but they are very formulaic.
I have read a few and it feels like some parts are just lifted from one to another so here is my count.

Van Dyke Beard 1
Main Character or Sidekick Shot 1 "Al"
Main Character Supposedly dead 1
Love Interest dead 1
Clive Cussler Guest Spot 0

The book is also very chauvinistic.
If a female does manage to do something well a character will quip that it' is unusual for a girl or something like that.
Ryan Scicluna
I really enjoyed reading this book. The plot is a bit far fetched but the way it was written made it a suspenseful thriller. All the characters have body and make the book more realistic in a way. The only problem I had was with Dirk Pitt (the star of the series), I like him but the fact that he physically gets beaten to death and endures a lot of physical challenges and recovers in a few seconds as if nothing happened, well that's a bit too much for me. I would have no problem if he spends at l ...more
Jen
It was ok. I thought it was kind of funny how dated parts of it were. For example, the President of the USA's secretary was using a typewriter. The book does take place in 1989 and it was written then, so it is authentic in that. There was a lot of almost sci-fi, with the Manchurian Candidate stuff about kidnapping the President and brain washing him. I honestly don't think we could do that now, let alone in the 80s. I'm going to read the next book, Cyclops, next. That's about business men havin ...more
Nathan Beck
Now that was a good Cussler book! I'm reading these in order and I almost stopped after the last one. It wasn't that it was bad, it just wasn't good. But boom! All of a sudden its like he got help on his writing and boy did make a difference. In this one, he introduces more reoccurring characters, and really homes in on his true style that I've read in some of the spin offs. I'm glad he got there sooner then later.
Janet
This book is proof that it is possible to actively root for fictional characters. The scene where the Stonewall Jackson filled with civilian Civil War re-enactors chases down and subdues Lee Tong’s tug boat is some of the best writing I’ve read in years. I was mentally thinking “Hell yeah! Go! Go! Go! Go!” and if Liana and Nate hadn’t been in the room I probably would have started cheering out loud. The only complaint I have is about the “Nerve Agent S” subplot. I know Cussler was using it as an ...more
Jared
This is the first book I've read by Clive Cussler, and will probably stay that way. If you're really into quick-read books that don't require thought (and, indeed, often require you not to think) like those written by Dan Brown and John Grisham, you might like his books. If you like lots of action, improbable travel times, things blowing up, people dying in various inventive ways, and the hero getting through it all mostly unscathed, you might like this book. I thought it was okay, up until the ...more
Shrihari Chakrapani
Very good storyline. Tend to live in Pitt's shoes. However some storylets have not been given a proper ending, such as what happened to Dr. Lugovoy or Russian president.
Amanda
Another adventure of Dirk Pitt I am growing more fond of the series as I read on. My problems with the book still stand, which mainly involve Dirk himself and the macho character of him and the portrayal of women overall. The premise of the book is great though, I love the story if not the characters. With the tension between the United States and Russia and the fear of brain control, it may seem far fetched to us now, but keeping in mind that this is quite an hold book you can get an idea of wh ...more
J.D.
I'm very much enjoying these earlier Cussler books. I'm glad I decided to try them. No new territory, just fun, romping adventures.
Steve Shepard
Read it too Long ago to recall fairly, but all of Cussler's Dirk Pitt Series rates a 4 or 5 in my opinion.
Kevin
Another interesting plot by Cussler - interesting idea, action packed plot, fun read.
Lillian
typical Dirk Pitt, decent adventure story that you can listen do while driving or cooking and you don't have to listen to hard to enjoy it.
Cameron Gable
Review of Deep Six by Clive Cussler
This successful author has created another impressive Maritime book. The main character Dirk Pitt is the leader of NUMA.
Dirk is the leader of NUMA which is part of the United States Government. There is some strange toxin killing people and fish. The president was kidnapped. The reason all of this is done is unknown . Can Dirk find out how all of this is connected?
Anyone who likes water or is concerned for the quality of the oceans will like this book. There
Ross Coulbeck
Another good Clive Cussler with the relentless Dirk Pitt, nothing can bring this guy down and he remains calm no matter what, even if the ship litrally falls out from beneath him *hint!*.

Overall it was a good book I thoroughly enjoyed, and as always makes me yearn for more action from Mr Pitt. The action was exciting, the relationships interesting and the plot intriguing, at several moments you know more than the characters because you've read about things they don't know, but as ever it doesn't
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Storm Warning
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • Excavation
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)
Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11) Inca Gold (Dirk Pitt, #12) Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15) Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4) Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt, #16)