Start by marking “Fins” as Want to Read:
Fins

Fins (Fins Trilogy #1)

Morgan James is visiting sunny Florida for two weeks before the school year begins. Right from the start, she realizes there's something strangely odd about the opulent world in which her mother and her new husband live and suddenly she is swept into another world - a world she could never have dreamed of. Follow Morgan's unbelievable journey in this magical tale of people ...more
Published September 23rd 2010 by Chalet Publishers, LLC

Ashleigh
Jan 11, 2013 Ashleigh rated it did not like it
Shelves: fail
John
Jun 10, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy readers, young adults
Recommended to John by: a friend
Mermaids have been objects of fascination to mankind since the first legends appeared in Assyria about three thousand years ago. Folklore has it that the goddess Atargatis loved a mortal shepherd and unintentionally killed him. Embarrassed, she dove into a lake to take the form of a fish, but the waters could not conceal her beauty, and thereafter, she took the form of a mermaid: human above the waist and fish below.

This fascination has continued in so many forms over the ages since then, so it'
Garrett
Feb 28, 2011 Garrett rated it it was amazing
FINS was a magical story filled with mermaids, magic, and romance. The main character, Morgan, was a refreshing read because unlike other heroines of YA paranormal romance (Bella Swan comes to mind), she doesn't sit around and let her true love save her. She goes to whatever risk she must take to save those she cares about.
The descriptions in this book were lush and vivid, so much that I wanted to visit Tammer's house in Florida and not just visit, but I wanted to live there! The descriptions of
Ashley Knight
Jan 05, 2011 Ashley Knight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hope that readers who love the ocean and mermaids will read FINS as I wrote it purely out of my love for both. FATHOM (the sequel) will be released in the Spring of 2011 and I hope you'll pick it up if you enjoyed FINS. All the best to you and yours - Ashley Knight
Jessica
Jun 26, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok
Original Review Here:

"I felt safe and warm, as if the water wasn't there, but we were instead floating in the air. He placed his other arm on the small of my back and pulled me in close to him. My heart racing, I held onto his arms, feeling the strength in them. Intense energy and power radiated from him, enveloping me. He held me close and time seemed to stop."

Why did I pick up this book? One word – Mermaids… After reading Of Poseidon, I gained what I like to call my “mermaid obsession.” I sco
Lily
Aug 08, 2013 Lily rated it really liked it
Fins is a fast-paced, fun, easy read about a 17-year-old girl named Morgan who goes to spend the summer with her mother. Turns out though, her mother is a mermaid and so is she. Morgan soon finds herself in the middle of a deadly family feud that’s been going on since before she was born. She’d better find a way to end it soon or someone she loves is going to die.

I always feel terrible comparing something to Twilight, but it’s almost impossible nowadays when dealing with paranormal romance. I’ll
L.M.
May 09, 2013 L.M. rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely wonderful!!! Better than what I had expected! Young romance at its best!!! Fantasy of Mermaids and mermen with special powers, under water cities and true loves!! Almost like Romeo and Juliet!! Amazing, I couldn't put it down!
Cas Peace
Jul 18, 2012 Cas Peace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In its first few pages, Fins seems like your archetypal YA holiday romance story. Teenage Morgan is on her way to spend some time in Florida with her mother, whom she hasn’t seen for a couple of years. Mom sounds like your typical hippie mother – more interested in travelling around having a good time than worrying about her daughter. Yet there’s much more here than meets the eye.
Soon, Morgan learns the life-changing and seemingly incredible fact that she comes from a line of mermaids. Her Mom i
Raquel
Apr 28, 2013 Raquel rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013, first-reads
Although this book was a gift as a first-reads book, I couldn't even finish it. I know this isn't fair, but I simply couldn't invest any more time into it.
The characters are dull. I couldn't sympathize with the protagonist at all. She isn't compelling at all, and neither are any of the other characters. Everyone was too perfect. Knight described every character I encountered as very beautiful or handsome.
Furthermore, I found the tone too immature and the writing too simple. I wasn't expecting a
Adriana B
Feb 26, 2011 Adriana B rated it really liked it
Fins is one of the many mermaid books out, and even though I've only read a few this one is high up on my list.
There are many things going for this book:

The characters: All of them were really great with their own purposes and uniqueness for the story. I loved the main character Morgan, you could feel what she was going through and see her flaws and mistakes and how she deals with them, she also doesn't hold back which I like in a protagonist.

The setting: I love Florida so this book was great
Dani Moore
May 06, 2013 Dani Moore rated it it was amazing
Morgandy was on her way to visit her Mother. It should be quite a change from her Idaho ranch home with her dad to sunny Florida! She knew nothing about Vero Beach except the warning the senile old lady on the plane gave her to watch out for the "Merpeople" there. Right, merpeople. Her Mom meets her at the airport and the surprises start immediately..her Mom is remarried! The surprises keep coming when they arrive at her mom's home. They are RICH, really rich! Huge house, on the water, huge pool ...more
Misty Rayburn
Sep 24, 2011 Misty Rayburn rated it it was amazing
Fins follows Morgan James as she’s visiting her mother in Florida for two weeks before school starts. She thinks something’s fishy about the world her mother and her new husband seem to live in. Morgan finds herself swept up into that world, a world she never could have dreamed of. A world where people are more than what they seem, if they’re even people at all.

Set aside a good chunk of time in which you can start and finish this book! You will NOT want to put it down. I started reading it while
Brizzielady
Jul 03, 2011 Brizzielady rated it liked it
I wish I could give this book 3.5 stars. I loved aspects of it, and it showed great promise throughout most of the story.. but it got a little hokey and "Twilighty" at the end. I felt that there were a couple of rather large emotional themes of this particular story that were glossed over.. I won't say what as I don't want to give anything away.

I am reading "Fathom" right now, and it does seem to be a lot more well-rounded and the characters are acting a little (and I stress the "little") more r
Dana
Mar 04, 2011 Dana rated it really liked it
I will admit, it took me a few chapters to really get into this book, but in the end I really did enjoy it. I wish the book itself had been a little longer; I would have loved for it to have kept going, and also things seemed to happen very quickly and I would have enjoyed things taking their time to come about. The characters were fun, and I really came to like Morgan (her take on the new situations were believable, though as I said above with drawing things out, I would have prefered her relat ...more
Tanya
Apr 21, 2011 Tanya rated it it was amazing
I finished reading the first books in the Fins trilogy by Ashley Knight and I enjoyed it more than any other book I've read about merpeople lately.I enjoyed it so much because of the author's different take of the mythological mermaid.She was able to make each character come across as having their own flaws when previous books about mermaids portray them as being almost perfect creatures.The only other books that featured mermaids that I've read that portrayed them the same way Ashley Knight did ...more
Feb 03, 2017 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a short book it dragged on too long

I picked up this freebie quite some time ago and just now got around to reading it.

Good storyline but I cringed every time I read, "We have more to tell you" or "I have to tell you something" or "You haven't told her yet?". Heck, at the very end I was still reading this kind of line. I typically enjoy guessing the "Who done it" but this was way too easy. To be fair, this is a book for a younger age group. With that in mind, I would have enjoyed this book if
Terra Harmony
Dec 24, 2011 Terra Harmony rated it it was ok
I really, really, really don't want to do a bad review. I just couldn't make it past chapter four. I was just...bored. But that is just me - I like action to draw me into the book. There was way too much description before anything remotely interesting happened. I found myself skipping over pages of prose, probably missing something important. Please don't take my word for it - this may be a really good YA read. Just not my cup of tea.
Sara
Jul 12, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: mermaids-etc, nook
This was a cute mermaid story. It had enough to keep me reading, even though a few times it felt like something was missing, which was why I gave a 3. I really liked Thayne and Morgan. It didn't get too much into their relationship, but I am hoping the next book will have more. And I did not like Akin like I thought I would. He is a butthead.
Amber
Oct 19, 2012 Amber rated it liked it
There are several things I liked about this trilogy. I probably would give it a 3.75..... It seemed very abbreviated, not fully developed. Then, I chose it trying to branch out from vampires and angels. Well, by the end of the series you don't just have Mermaids but angels and vampires too! It was a bit of a stretch....
Ashley
Sep 05, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it
This book is nice and out of the normal mermaids tale. It was relaxing to read and I just like the story line. Fins can used a little work with details and the grammar. All in all I really enjoy this book. If you want a nice story for a sunny day. Give this a try and you might be surprise that you will be hungry for more.
Rachël
Two words: Big Joke

This book is what nightmares are made of...barely reached 5th chapter.Female protagonist nearly killed me with her insta-lust behaviour, and the plot was just inexistent.
The most sympathetic character is the girl's dad...and he's dead for godsake's!

So yeah...save yourself from this headache...
David Sakmyster
May 08, 2011 David Sakmyster rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this (and I don't normally read a lot of YA). Ashley Knight's 'Fins' reads like a mesmerizing synthesis of Walt Disney and JK Rowling. A coming-of-age tale complete with dueling factions, magical underwater battles, compelling prophecies and forbidden love. A transformative adventure for young adults – and the young at heart!
Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick)
Fins is something that is so hard to find these days: A good light read with romance, a bit of action, and some good ole' mermaids. Perfectly good clean fun.
Although the book was a bit cheesy at it's gushiest moments, it was still beautifully written and just so.... fun. I really have no other way to describe it. Can't wait for the sequel :)
Lydia
Mar 14, 2011 Lydia rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook
I really enjoyed this book. It was a typical YA book, but it had a great unique twist to it. I enjoyed the different side characters that show up throughout the story. It was super easy to read, and ended too quickly. I wish I could have kept reading longer. I would definitely recommend this one to anyone that enjoys a fun YA read.
Claire
Mar 18, 2012 Claire rated it liked it
Didnt much like this book tbh She writes like her readers are idiots who need every little plot point spelled out and like they will lose interest and run away if the story doesnt move faster. It all just felt really rushed.
Barb
Mar 07, 2011 Barb rated it liked it
Fins is a fascinating story with unique characters and I would recommend it to the young adult crowd. Action adventure, mystery, romance, magic, this book has it all. I found the subject matter refreshing and would love to see how it transfers to film.
Lindsey Fleck
Feb 25, 2013 Lindsey Fleck rated it it was amazing
Olivia breezed through this book in a few hours, she said it was her favorite book to date.
Dana Wright
Feb 24, 2011 Dana Wright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen, mermaid
I loved it! Check out my upcoming review on http://danasyabookpile.blogspot.com/.
Andrea Bellar
Mar 02, 2011 Andrea Bellar marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
This looks so good!
Nicole
Mar 07, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of like Twilight, only with mermaids instead of vampires. Fun read.
Crossroad Press: Free copies of FINS! 12 12 May 02, 2013 04:38PM
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • In Great Waters
  • Lure (Siren's Call, #1)
  • Captive Mermaid
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides #1)
  • Antara (Antara, #1)
  • Merrow
  • Forbidden Sea (Forbidden Sea, #1)
  • Selina Penaluna
  • Promises (Syrenka, #1)
  • Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
  • The Silver Dolphin (Mermaid Curse, #1)
  • May (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • Merminia
  • Teenage Mermaid
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Awaiting Destiny
Two events of significance occurred during of the birth of Ashley Lorenzi Knight in 1977. One was the VC10 jet flight time record from London to Bahrain was smashed by her father in his determination to be by her side and the appearance of brilliant meteor showers over the desert island that was witnessed by her godmother.

Moving away from the gathering war storms of the Middle East conflict, her
More about Ashley L. Knight...

Fins Trilogy (3 books)