Start by marking “Maigret è prudente” as Want to Read:
Maigret è prudente

Maigret è prudente (Maigret #68)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  280 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
«Signor Maigret, ha sbagliato a venire prima di ricevere la seconda lettera. Adesso tutti sono in allarme, il che rischia di far precipitare gli eventi. Ormai il delitto può essere commesso da un momento all’altro, e sarà anche per colpa sua. La credevo più paziente, più riflessivo. Pensa davvero di poter scoprire i segreti di una famiglia in un pomeriggio? È più ingenuo e ...more
Paperback, Gli Adelphi - Le Inchieste di Maigret, 170 pages
Published July 1st 2010 by Adelphi (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret è prudente, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret è prudente

Sandra
Sep 19, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: francia
“ Signor Divisionario,
non la conosco personalmente, ma ciò che ho letto delle sue inchieste……
Un assassinio sarà commesso fra non molto, probabilmente fra qualche giorno. Forse da qualcuno che conosco, forse da me. Non le scrivo per impedire il tragico evento. Esso è in certo qual modo ineluttabile. Ma vorrei che, quando il fatto si verificherà, lei sapesse…”
Comincia così la nuova inchiesta di Maigret, che ci porta con lui in una ricca famiglia parigina, in cui sotterranei sentimenti di odio, gel
Etienne Mahieux
Aug 07, 2014 Etienne Mahieux rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C'est assez court, même pour un roman policier, et la solution s'avère d'une simplicité et d'une logique qui pourraient laisser une piètre idée du génie du commissaire Maigret. Or c'est tout le contraire. Alerté par une lettre anonyme qui annonce l'imminence d'un meurtre, Maigret traîne dans l'hôtel particulier d'un fameux avocat, maître Parendon, incapable d'empêcher quoi que ce soit. Aux deux tiers du livre, arrive l'inévitable, et la solution n'a plus qu'à tomber de l'arbre comme un fruit bie ...more
Kevin Black
(8/2013) Probably read this 10 years ago. Enjoyed it. First Maigret novel. In Esperanto translation from French.
Update 9/19/2013. Finished it last night. I had forgotten it almost completely, so it still worked as a mystery. That's what this book is best as, anyway. It was a page-turner, and besides the characters are, or at least Inspector Maigret is, far from unidimensional.
The book is of considerable interest to a psychiatrist, because one of the main characters' "obsession" or "hobby" is
Phillip Kay
Maigret Hesitates was published as Maigret hésite in 1968: it was translated into English by Lyn Moir. A finely told tale of suspense, with the culprit, though, obvious well before the end. Maigret is in high society and Simenon portrays a lawyer’s unusual family with much acuteness. The crime involves a famous clause of the French penal code, Article 64: “there is no crime or misdemeanour if the accused was in a state of dementia at the time of the act, or if he was driven to it by an irresisti ...more
Mikee
Nov 01, 2015 Mikee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maigret, mystery, simenon
It is amazing how the master keeps cranking out one wonderful Maigret story after another. This is one of the best, though different from most of the other. Maigret gets a message warning of a crime that's about to happen. He investigates and finds himself immersed in a unique and highly dysfunctional family. He can't prevent the crime and truly suffers through its aftermath. I loved it!
Sara
Apr 14, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Maigret fans, lovers of Paris, amateur psychologists
Maigret may hesitate to name the murderer, but it was clear to me who done it as soon as the murder actually happened. That did not short-circuit my enjoyment, however, since the process of discovery itself was revealing. I found this book tightly plotted and well paced, with some strongly sympathetic characters. Before the end, one even sympathizes with the difficult and unlikeable ones.
It is an unusual Maigret in that Maigret deeply grieves the death of the person who is murdered...as do we. T
Peter
I'll read a few of the more recently published mystery novels every year, but I find that they seem to lack some of the insight into character that I find with Simenon. The mystery in this particular book is no great shock, but it does have some great dialog between Maigret and the family and staff of an aristocratic household. This one also has the usual references to the wines that Maigret enjoys during the meals as he's on a break, which might not necessarily be absolutely necessary for the s ...more
Lucy Barnhouse
This murder-is-announced narrative takes place against the backdrop of the social change of the mid-1960s, and on the cusp of a Parisian spring. Unusually for a Maigret, elements of characterization felt incomplete to me (maybe I was just missing nuances.) As always, Simenon's precise, evocative language is a delight.
Betty
Mar 16, 2015 Betty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, france
Clearly not my favorite Maigret. I thought it stretched an idea that wasn't sufficiently interesting to begin with. Skip this one; there are plenty more to choose from.
Matthew Mitchell
I'm new to Simenon, but I'm already impressed by his storytelling abilities.

He reminds me some of Ngaio Marsh, and his detective, Maigret, is like her Alleyn.

The story line was surprising and fresh. I'll be reading more.

(Warning: There were parts unacceptable for younger readers though it was not sensual or graphic.)
Stuart
Jul 26, 2011 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Not really what i expected, somehow. I was expecting something more in the type of police fiction genre. Here we have Maigret visiting a family having been warned that a murder may take place. Then half way through the book, the murder takes place. Then, after one witness appears, we have the murderer. Not sure what the story was. No twists, no turns, just an odd discussion on whether insanity is a good defense. Easy enough read, but I didn't think it was genre-bending or genre-leading. Back to ...more
Jeffrey
Sep 12, 2014 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delish!
John
Oct 29, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different from any other Maigret that I have read, and I've read most of them. The fertility of Simenon's imagination and his ability to turn it into words on paper is awesome. Not only that but he can do it in half the amount of words of pretty well anyone else.

The reader is right inside Maigret's head throughout the whole of the investigation. From the moment he receives the first anonymous letter, his feeling of dread is palpable.

Very strange but very good.
Mary
May 09, 2010 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The police receive an anonymous letter predicting that there will shortly be a murder. Maigret and his team trace the distinctive paper on which the letter is written, and Maigret interviews the occupants of the household. With a watch on the house, the murder still occurs. But will the guilty party ever be punished? Again, wonderful characters and tight plot.
Angelo Giardini
Neste livro, acompanhamos Maigret iniciar uma investigação sobre um homicídio que ainda não aconteceu, invertendo assim a clássica estrutura das histórias policiais. Ao final, uma boa leitura para os amantes dos livros de detetives
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
familiar plot, different translation
Babete
Mar 11, 2011 Babete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
( A Hesitação de Maigret )
Marietta
Literary comfort food.
Holger Meeh
Holger Meeh rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Anca Matrioska
Anca Matrioska rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Pia Lombardi
Pia Lombardi rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Lechiot Volant
Lechiot Volant rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Arto
Arto added it
May 14, 2016
Maryna
Maryna rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Ellyn
Ellyn marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Thay
Thay rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Aumonier
Aumonier marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Christian Stanton
Christian Stanton rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Cata Dunstan
Cata Dunstan rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
  • Murder in the Central Committee (Pepe Carvalho, #5)
  • Acqua in bocca
  • La lunga estate calda del commissario Charitos
  • Ad occhi chiusi
  • Dieci piccoli indiani - Le due verità
  • La cura del gorilla
  • One Man, One Murder
  • Ceux qui vont mourir te saluent
  • Simple Stories
  • The Best of Warren Ellis: DOWN and Tales of the Witchblade
  • Death in Florence: A Novel
  • Hammett
  • The Discrete Charm of Charlie Monk
  • Mapuche
  • Total Chaos
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

Maigret (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)