Start by marking “Il grimorio di Baker Street” as Want to Read:
Il grimorio di Baker Street

Il grimorio di Baker Street

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  625 ratings  ·  26 reviews
La famosa 'cassetta di latta tutta ammaccata' del Dr. John H. Watson torna ad aprirsi ancora una volta per svelarci undici racconti nuovi di zecca, tutti incentrati su storie misteriose di orrore e dark fantasy. Sherlock Holmes, maestro della logica deduttiva, e' chiamato a confrontarsi con l’irrazionale, l’inatteso e il fantastico, all’interno dei magici mondi de 'Il grim ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 340 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Gargoyle Books (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Il grimorio di Baker Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il grimorio di Baker Street

Paul
Even though Arthur Conan Doyle was a well-known occult writer, he had to keep Sherlock Holmes, his most famous creation, grounded in reality. Doyle couldn’t weaken his popularity by giving Holmes a number of occult and fantastic cases to solve. This book takes care of that.

Watson was severely injured, and should have died, while serving with the British Army in Afghanistan. He was saved by a blue djinn who exacts a price from Watson for his help. Years later, while solving a case of what looks l
Gemma
The Great Detective confronted by the supernatural! It's every Holmesian's secret fantasy!
This was one of the better anthologies I've ever read. There actually wasn't a story I didn't like, though some were better than others. I'd say my favorite three were The Lost Boy in which Holmes teams up with Peter Pan (yes, you read that right), Merridew of Abominable Memory featuring Holmes and Watson going up against a Jack the Ripper-esque serial killer (so horrible, it was wonderful), and The Red Pla
Wm
Well-written fan fiction it is, but it's still, essentially fan fiction, and, no offense, to Sherlock Holmes fans, but as much as I love the original stories, I'm not convinced that there's enough complexity to the Holmseian world support this type of effort -- or perhaps these just aren't the right stories to convince me of that (it probably doesn't help that I read this while in the middle of reading a massive Jack Vance festschrif which is totally awesome).

That said, some of these stories are
Riju Ganguly
When a book is bye-lined as "Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes", the readers (already hooked or potential) have to select from either of two options: to indulge themselves with a strange but highly intriguing collection like "Shadow Over Baker Street", or to apprehend that another bunch of ordinary-to-boring stories are attempted to be passed off as Sherlockian pastiches. This particular book has both sides (probably more "natural" in that way only), and I am trying to give a very brief idea ab ...more
Kate
Caidyn
3.5/5

The Lost Boy - 2/5: I liked the idea. Peter Pan and Sherlock Holmes, something that ought to be interesting. But it was so jumbled and very out of character for all of them.

His Last Arrow - 3/5: All of the characters were in character and I liked how it plays on the theory that Sherlock and John were real people. Despite that, the ending was a turn that wasn't even hinted to.

The Things That Shall Come Upon Them - 4/5: This was actually in another collection of stories like this, so I've alr
Schnaucl
I thought this anthology was uneven. There were a few stories that really stood out but most didn't make a lasting impression.

I liked The Lost Boy by Barbara Hambly. (view spoiler)

I also enjoyed His Last Arrow by Christopher Sequeira. (view spoiler)
Zakariah Johnson
This a great collection of Sherlock Holmes "versus" and "team-ups" featuring more of the denizens of Victorian horror and fantasy fiction. Barbara Hambly's story "The Lost Boy" (guess who?) set a very high bar as the first story and was bookended perfectly by another of Kim Newman's hysterical Moriarty capers told from the perspective of Colonel Moran, "The Red Planet League." Newman is a comic genius and his Moran stories alone make it worth picking up Prepolec's wonderful collections. Of the 1 ...more
Rozonda
A very very good anthology of fantastic tales with Holmes as the main character. Some of them, like the VERY funny Kim Newman story (whose main character is Moriarty, not Holmes, who doesn't appear) I have read in other books and anthologies, but the choice is very good nevertheless.
Grace
Addicting

I bought this, pretty much on a whim. But man, I could not stop reading and bought the other two in the series immediately. Almost every story in this book is great and that's saying something for an anthology. My personal favorites are the Moran narrated story (which happily show up in the other anthologies also), Peter Pan, Merridew and a long list. Probably the only two that I didn't care for (but that others might very well love) were The Last Arrow and Sherlock Holmes in the Lost W
Sem
Unlike the reviewer at SF Site, I felt that the best of the bunch was the story that didn't include Holmes -- the incomparable Kim Newman's 'The Red Planet League'. The rest were readable, at times even quite good -- with the possible exception of editor J.R. Campbell's awkward pulp offering 'The Entwined' -- and I always enjoy encounters between Holmes and the 'fantastic' but really -- fandom does a much better job with this sort of thing. Three stars, if only because I can read any Holmes past ...more
Ivana
The introductions were way too long, meandering and with little substance, the stories childish, or ineptly written, or down the "anything goes" alley, or all of the above; there are some sweet moments in Hambly's story (but, Peter Pan?!), and Newman's story was intelligent, well written and funny, and that's about it. Instead of this one, I recommend picking up Newman's Professor Moriarty collection -- that way you get to read the good story, and a bunch of other good stories.
Craig Andrews
Some cracking Sherlock Holmes vs weirdness stories in this collection, and as with most collections, some duff ones too. If you like stories with Sherlock in them, and aren't too much of an 'original Holmes only' person there's loads to enjoy in this collection. The introduction is really good too (and you can read just that bit with the Kindle preview). There's two more volumes that I'm looking forward to as well. A great holiday read.
Cris
A rather mixed collection of stories. Most are not the usual pastiches. Some are, and some are inspired by, and some are influenced by Doyle's stories. While I enjoyed most of the stories, I wouldn't recommend this collection for people who are looking for more *just like* Doyle's stories. (If they want something with the same blend of traits as the original Holmes' stories with magic, I'd suggest Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy stories.)
Santosh Bhat
Anthology of Sherlock Holmes pastiches with a supernatural twists.
As with any anthology, some tales are weak, while others successfully create an atmosphere of Victorian era intriguue, macabre and chilling. I especially enjoyed the black humour laced Moriarty caper, The Red Planet League. A recommended read for those who enjoy Holmes stories, especially with a supernatural "tadka" added.
Nathan Shumate
Some of the stories were pretty good; others were so bad I couldn't finish them. This only adds evidence to my thesis that the overall quality of themed anthologies decreases as the focus narrows. (The only truly great story was the last one, which only dealt with the Sherlock Holmes mythos in sideways fashion, and which overshadowed everything that came before.)
Tracy
Great fantasy spin on Sherlock Holmes - loved that each short story was written in the traditional perspective of Dr. Watson! If I had to pick a favorite from the anthology, I would choose Sherlock Holmes meets Peter Pan. (That's not the title, but it's the gist of the story.) If you like reading Sherlock Homes, I highly recommend this book.
Suzanne
More fun Sherlock Holmes - horror style! From vampires to djinns to I-don't-even-WANT-to-know-what, I enjoyed this set of fan fiction, written by those with a clear love for both the tempermental detective and the horror/sci-fi/fantasty genre. The first story in particular is a standout for me.
Karen
May 02, 2012 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1
Recommended to Karen by: Holmes fans in particular
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
As usual with an anthology, the stories were uneven. Some were fun, others were boring. One of those books I will want to read some other day when it is cold and dark and I want to get away from mundane life around here. London is great to visit even if only in my dreams.
Dianne Landry
I thought this would be a fun book with a bunch of Sherlock Holmes short stories but I brought it back to the library after reading the first one. I mean really, Sherlock Holmes helping out Peter Pan. PLEASE!
Larry Marak
Good and varied anthology, first of a series of 3, positing Sherlock in a world of supernatural mystery. Starts off with a remakable linkage of Sherlock Holmes to Peter Pan and carries it off.
Vikas Datta
Some excellent, some quite vague and some not so good... Would pick the ones featuring Flaxman Low, Carnacki, and Prof Challenger - and yes the Count - as the best of the lot
Peter
A nice collection of Holmes Pastiches as written by a largely Canadian Group of Holmes fans following in a long tradition of paying homage to the master of the genre.
Richard
A collection of shorts will always be of mixed quality, and especially so here. Could have been a touch more grimoire than gaslight.
Jenny Blackford
This should be a three and a half, almost a four, just for the Barbara Hambly story featuring Peter Pan.
Laura Meraglia
Laura Meraglia marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Kathie Koop
Kathie Koop marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Brian Mcclain
Brian Mcclain marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
  • Gaslight Grotesque: Nightmare Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
  • Encounters of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • Sherlock Holmes in America
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Angel of the Opera
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
Charles V. Prepolec was born in 1966 and is a native of Calgary, AB, Canada. He is a freelance writer, editor and reviewer. His articles, interviews, artwork and reviews have appeared in Scarlet Street, Sherlock, All-Hallows, and Canadian Holmes as well as fanzines Peladon Press and Into the Vortex. He has been acknowledged for various contributions in Starring Sherlock Holmes (Rev. Ed. Titan Book ...more
More about Charles Prepolec...
Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes Curious Incidents 2:  Being A Collection Of The Further Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes Gaslight Grotesque: Nightmare Tales of Sherlock Holmes Beyond Rue Morgue Anthology: Further Tales of Edgar Allan Poe's 1st Detective Professor Challenger: New Worlds, Lost Places