Start by marking “Daron's Guitar Chronicles” as Want to Read:
Daron's Guitar Chronicles

Read Book* *Different edition

Daron's Guitar Chronicles (Daron's Guitar Chronicles #1)

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Coming out and coming of age in the days of AIDS, MTV, Reaganomics, and Just Say No. Daron Marks is a young guitar player with a dream, make it big like the guys he grew up idolizing in New Jersey--or at least escape his dysfunctional family. He makes it as far as music school in Rhode Island, and the stages of Boston beckon. But it's hard to ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published October 3rd 2010 by Tan, Cecilia

To ask other readers questions about Daron's Guitar Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daron's Guitar Chronicles

Vivian
Sep 17, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-na, fr, ng
Zeitgeist.

The sense of the eighties is tangible, from the smokey IHOP to the spandex wearing cover bands. The story is first person and is told exclusively from Daron's point of view. He keeps you close with the confidential tone while you travel with him.

This is a journey, and it is evocative and well paced. He doesn't rocket to stardom. This is the long haul of crappy gigs, subbing for band members, and eating when you can. Scrapping together and getting by.

Argh! The story ends twenty pages b
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

Part of a story.

For sure NOT romance, this is new adult gay fiction that takes place in the 80s.

While sections of the story were interesting, I struggled with the point of it all. It felt very ramble-y, without an end-goal. Very emo, very train-of-thought.

Kindle edition ends at about 70%, which is always annoying for me.

Read as part of my RT reading challenge, my quest to read new authors before the convention (https://www.rtconvention.com).
Shelley
I'm broke and whoring myself out to poodle-hair bands [...] Oh, and by the way, I'm living a life of sin and perversion, too. Jeezus.

I think I might have fallen just a little bit in love with a guitar genius who could be classed as an emo of the 80's. I have no idea how this kid got under my skin, but he really did. Daron is filled with inner angst, insecurities, self doubt, self loathing, and loneliness and hiding in his closet behind his guitar and too long fringe. So how the hell did this s
Bookwatcher
How do you decide to read a book? It's just a curiosity, seriously, how do you decide, to read or not something?
I follow friends reviews, listen to friends recommendation and in some rare cases it's by chance.
This book is a example of something I cross by chance. Call it serendipity, fate, destiny anything... sometimes it happens.

So I saw this free kindle book and well, it's for free, so why don't try it?

I'm glad I did... because I start it, and couldn't stop before the end.

Another question: h
Jenn
I liked this. I did. Daron is a fascinating character in that he seems SO normal and someone that most readers can relate to in his experiences. The first book is always what I call 'The Set-up'. The author is giving us background info necessary, but not always super intriguing or exciting. The parts with Matthew were sad. Just sad, but I liked that I got to see the struggle Daron feels with coming in to his own. It's not just gay/lesbians that have a problem coming out. Even bisexuals worry abo ...more
Dreamer
Really enjoyed this short volume detailing 19 year old Daron's progress in the 1980s music industry. Read this in one sitting, left me needing more..
'The next day was a gray wash from the moment I crawled into the shower onward. I stood there with the water running down around my ears and swore myself to celibacy. It seemed the only sensible option, the only possible way to avoid the self-loathing, the anxiety, the worst of the loneliness.'
Dani

*Review of the whole series (volume 1-7 so far)*

4,5 stars

Ok, wow! This is unusually good stuff. This is also very unusual stuff, which is exactly what makes it really, really good in it’s own, very unique way.

And it is really hard to rate.

The good things about this series are 5-star material, hands down. Five-star writing that tickled my brain, had a firm, faithful grasp on complicated emotional states, did not ONCE sell complex, interesting and very intelligent characters short, made me sit on
Nic
Apr 05, 2013 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daron's Guitar Chronicles Volume 1 is the first in a series of stories about the life of Daron, a young nineteen year old musician growing up in the 1980's in the world of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.

Check out the author, Cecilia Tan's video which tells a little about how this series of books came into being.

Ceclia Tan's YouTube

I actually listened so the audio version of this book and quite enjoyed the narration by Teddy Hamilton. His voice and inflections really seemed to suit the story and the
LenaLena
Jul 31, 2011 LenaLena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, free-reads
Daron is a fascinating character. Life's been hard for him, despite his talent, and despite some good stuff that happens to him, he gets dragged down into the dumps continuously. How can he not, he is 19, confused, lonely and in the closet. Life goes up and down for him, and the reader can't help but care.

So much that I had to buy the second volume for my kindle on the freeway between LA and San Diego, because Daron is not even close to a happy anything by the end of this book, whether it is FN
Christina
Feb 10, 2012 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, musicians, m-m
This is a good story and something I will definitely continue. Daron is intriguing and I love the 80's music scene, so this was a fun read for me. However, I didn't really connect with Daron until 3/4 of the way through, possibly because his story is told in such a matter-of-fact style. The plot was a bit lacking in the excitement department but by the end I started to feel more from Daron and it left me wanting more.
Shannon
Dec 10, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon by: Rena
Either this was longer that 92 pages or I was just really bored. I ended up skim reading most of it because I just couldn't get into it. I don't know why. The writing was fine but I just didn't give a crap after a while. Too drawn out for me.
Cal
Jan 18, 2016 Cal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. The writing style is engaging and fun. The plot meandered a bit, but it's the first in a series so NBD.
Bee
Dec 09, 2011 Bee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was free, and pretty good...but it's part of a series and had no real ending so it demands that the reader buys the next book in the series to get any kind of closure. It wasn't really a surprise to me, that’s usually the reason for why the book is free in the first place, but some kind of ending would have been nice instead of "if you want to find out what happens next..." Yes, thank you, I do realize that the story will continue in the next book since it's named "volume 1" and the next bo ...more
Kara
Oct 28, 2015 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
So while I really liked Daron's characters and how this book was set in the 80's. I honestly thought it was kind of slow and there was literally very little steam in this book. Now that is usually not a problem for me at all but when he does for a lack of better words hook up with someone it just fades the scene after that so you really do not get any details at all.
Now this book is about Daron from is POV. He starts of this book at nineteen and in a band he is also in the closet because back t
Lori K
May 22, 2014 Lori K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are what? 5 or 6 of these and it's still on-going. I've been having so much fun reading them. If you are looking for a quick fix-forget it. If you are looking for a long, meandering journey, then these free-online chapters are for you.

They are especially fun if you grew up in Boston, going to the clubs etc that are mentioned here.

I am about half through with what she has posted and went ahead and read the last few paragraphs of the last post. Nope, not happy yet. Hopefully that is where sh
Trevor
May 05, 2014 Trevor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, ebook, netgalley
Difficult to review this one, I enjoyed the story, but the writing style at times annoyed me.

Not sure why the sex scenes were so muted, seemed as if the author didn't really want to write anything graphic - so why try?

Despite these negatives though, I want to know what happens to Daron and his band, and whether he eventually does accept that he is gay.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Anna
Jul 01, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like how complex Daron is. I have to remember that at the time 'gay' wasn't what it is now. Marriage equality and such. I already have book 2, just need 3-9. Looking forward to the rest of Daron's story.
Recommended!
Harper Kingsley
May 29, 2012 Harper Kingsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: male-male
Oh, oh. That's all. I love this so much, a realistic chronicle of Daron's life from boy to rock star, all set in the 1980s.
Madeline Elayne
Oct 09, 2010 Madeline Elayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The strength of Cecilia Tan's fiction has always been her characters. She can write delightfully wicked villains that you can't help but love to hate. She can pen a cad with the best of them. But in my opinion, she shines the brightest when her she writes a character who is simply heartwrenchingly sweet, especially when that character seems to hope beyond hope that this wasn't true of them.

The protagonist of this story is one of those characters. Rock guitarists are supposed to be thick-skinn
Stephanie
Jan 08, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With a tagline like "Sex, drugs, rock n roll, the closet, the stage, the 80s," how could this story be anything but fantastic?

DGC is one of the best coming of age stories I've ever read, and volume 1 is just the tip of the iceberg of this tale. Set in the 1980's, this story brings back so many memories for me growing up, things like the songs used as chapter titles that I haven't heard in years, the introduction of pagers, having to hunt through an airport for a pay phone that accepts incoming c
Elisa Rolle
I don’t think I’m doing any wrong to the novel saying that indeed this is a Volume One of a chronicle that needs to be read in its totality; in volume one we barely have the chance to know Daron, and he is still in his formative years, experimenting with life, and that means also with sexuality.

Even if he doesn’t want to admit it, Daron is gay; in less than a year, he will have three different partners, all of them men, plus a not so hidden interest in a fourth one. It’s only that we are in 1986
Blow Pop
Content warnings: drug use, alcohol use, sex, gay sex, mentions of violence

I received an ARC of this from NetGalley for a fair and unbiased review.

This was definitely an interesting book. It mostly takes place on the East Coast of the US particularly in the New England area (Northern East Coast for those who don't know).

If you like reading books about gay men in the music industry, you'll probably like this book. I'm ambivalent both on the topic of the music industry and gay men but can definite
books are love
Received in exchange for a honest review.

Mixed on this book. Sadly even though I am mixed on how I feel I want to see if Daron gets out of this horrible life he has had so far and makes it.

Daron is a good character. His life has not been great but he still fights and believes. He is a in the closet guitar player who is trying to find his way. His best friend believes in him but sees him as having no backbone. He is afraid in the 80′s to come out of the closet. His family messed him up and didn’t
Sue
Mar 01, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book but I believe I'm too old to really appreciate the story.It was well written and I loved the character Daron.I thought his parents were total flakes.I loved his relationship with his friend Bart.His association with the band Nomad and the way the guy Remi tried to watch out for Daron & teach him things about guitar playing & the business.This just seems to be a series for young adults but I still have all the books on my wish list so you never know I just may go back ...more
Donald
Oct 05, 2013 Donald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an Audiobook:

I have had this book in my library for some time and just have now gotten around to reading it. Written and read like a journal, you are introduced to Daron and become privy to a subjective perspective of a ‘coming of realization’ in the 80s. Volume 1 provides the groundwork to understanding where Daron comes from and why he sees the world the way that he does. As someone who was the same age as our protagonist in the 80s, I can relate to the fear associated with the awaken
Emma
Jul 03, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great, I loved all the characters in this book they all have great and unique personalities. I got to learn a lot more about those years, and the musical perspectives, I now know a lot more about guitars and bands and music in general.

And got to see that it isn't all easy for musicians, and there's a lot of planning and learning involved. You get to learn about topics such as insomnia, depression, mood swings, drugs a load of stuff really.

I fricken love it when Darren does a conce
Stephen
Daron's guitar chronicles is the journal-like novel of a young guitar player/ rocker that just happens to be gay. While he's mostly concerned with his music and his plans for the future, the being gay/ coming out aspects do affect and inform his character and the events that happen.

This novel started as a web series and it has that feel. While it's an enjoyable read, it seems to be a bit unstructured and at some points its less interesting than at others.

Personally, The story seemed to be at i
Doris
I really love rock romance books but I’m not quite sure what to think of this book yet. I have to say that I started to like this book by the time I got to the end of it. For me it had a really slow start. There is probably a lot of set up that the author is doing to get us ready for Volume Two. Will I read Volume Two? Definitely. I have to see where all of this is going to go.

This book was provided as an ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.
Bryan Hovey
Jul 04, 2014 Bryan Hovey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Very nice short story or novella about a young musicians personal struggles with music stardom and his sexual identity. Having played in a couple of local bands myself I enjoyed the knowledge of the music scene that the author incorporates in the story. If you're looking for a quick and easy read I recommend it. Download it free on amazon. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004EHZUA0...
Kendra T
This was an OK book for me. I felt it was written too conversationally rather than grammatically and it wasn't a style I loved. I found myself annoyed at times by Daron and his inconsistent nature--he's the manager and some times control freak but yet seems uncomfortable with making decisions. I do find myself curious about how things end up for Daron but didn't like him enough to justify paying $5 or $10 for extra volumes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • If It Ain't Love
  • Red-Eye Dawn (Turbulence, #3)
  • Tomfoolery
  • Bonds of Fire
  • Luscious Love
  • Bound in Stone: Volume One
  • Whiskey Dreams (Sleepy Hollow, #1)
  • The Math Teacher Is Dead
  • And to All a Good Night (Life Lessons, #1.5)
  • The Storyteller
  • The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2)
  • Indestructible
  • Conquest (Conquest, #1)
  • The Wild Side of Christmas
  • With the Band
  • The Importance of Being Denny
  • First Kiss
  • Entanglements
Susie Bright says, "Cecilia Tan is simply one of the most important writers, editors, and innovators in contemporary American erotic literature." Since the publication of Telepaths Don't Need Safewords in 1992, she has been on the cutting edge of the erotic form, often combining elements of fantasy and science fiction in her work. She is also founder and editor of Circlet Press.

She is the author
More about Cecilia Tan...

Daron's Guitar Chronicles (9 books)
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume Two (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #2)
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume Three (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #3)
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume Four (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #4)
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume Five (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #5)
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume Six (Daron's Guitar Chronicles,  #6)
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume Seven (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #7)
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume Eight  (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #8)
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume Nine