Start by marking “La violenza e il sacro” as Want to Read:
La violenza e il sacro

La violenza e il sacro

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  450 ratings  ·  33 reviews
«È criminale uccidere la vittima perché essa è sacra ... ma la vittima non sarebbe sacra se non la si uccidesse». Questo terribile, paralizzante circolo vizioso si incontra subito, quando si esamina la realtà del sacrificio. Di fronte a esso l’ambivalenza tanto frequentemente evocata dal pensiero moderno ha l’aria di un pio eufemismo, che malamente cela il segreto non già ...more
Paperback, Saggi. Nuova serie, 456 pages
Published 1992 by Adelphi (first published 1972)

In the 1972 work, Violence and the Sacred, the French literary critic Rene Girard undertakes a “scientific” exploration of the dual aspect of sacrifice, attempting to resolve the contradiction articulated in the work of Henri Hubert and Marcel Maus: “Because the victim is sacred, it is criminal to kill him- but the victim is only sacred because he is to be killed.” The results of this inquiry yield, according to the author, the origins of all religion and culture.
At the core of Girard’s theory
Ciprian Sandu
Maybe the best book of Rene Girard. It should be read as a book of philosophy, its vast ambitions taken into account.

I feel that a comment on the pertinent (but in my opinion symptomatic) review made by Fatima has its place here (read that review first).

The idea that Girard, or anybody, may be above all criticism, that one can put oneself above that, is not true, and too seductive by its own right. (The Fatima's text ends with some criticism - as it should - isn’t’ it?)
This kind of crit
In a highly innovative book that studies the mechanisms and structures behind violence, Girard's Violence and the Sacred presents his unique insights into violence in literature and society.

From the bible to Oedipus Rex to various indigenous tribes throughout the world, Girard attempts to cover all bases in his arguments. He finds interesting psychological sources for the various sacrifices of humankind, talks of the victim and the scapegoat, and analyzes the way humans fight, block, and stop v
I had just been attacked by demons, my life was spinning around, so I decided to go back to temple. I had spent years challenging the buddhist beliefs I was raised in, but it seemed the right choice. At the same time I was reading this book I began to hear from the lama of our temple words that I had previously only heard in Christian/Catholic doctrine and churches and twelve step programs. The combination of renewed disillussionment with the buddhist temple and the revelation of this book trans ...more
This book is a remarkable achievement by Girard. He has managed to provide a context and framework by which to understand sacrifice, so closely related linguistically to "sacred", and the violence that accompanies it-and their role in society.

Anyone terrorized as a child by the 1969 Encyclopedia Britannica film "The Lottery", based on a short story by Shirley Jackson, will understand the undercurrent of Girard's book. He holds that violence has been ritualized by society, and that it can serve
Anatoly v01
Плот-твист: насилие и священное - это одно и то же, у греков даже слово одно было.

В первый раз услышал о книге из "Школы Злословия" с переводчиком обеих (главных) книг Жирара на русский, Дашевским

Пожалуй лучшая книга, которую можно прочесть после Владимира Проппа и Мирче Элиаде.
One of the most important books of our time. IF you have not yet discovered Rene Girard you will be amazed. He is not an easy read; however there is an excellent synopsis of his theory - Discovering Girard by Michael Kirwan - that I have found very useful.
"Nature creates similarities. One need only think of mimicry. The highest capacity for producing similarities, however, is man’s. His gift of seeing resemblances is nothing other than a rudiment of the powerful compulsion in former times to become and behave like something else. Perhaps there is none of his higher functions in which his mimetic faculty does not play a decisive role." --- Walter Benjamin, "On the Mimetic Faculty" 1933
In most cases, mimesis is defined as having two primary meaning
Original Review: I read two of the sections from this book for a class. I would like to read the rst of i someday, because Girard has some very interesting ideas about the role of violence in the genesis of myth.

Updated Review: Well, I feel like three chapters really have the main meat of this argument for me, while the others develop and explore the ideas laid out most clearly and directly in "The Sacrificial Crisis," "Oedipus and the Surrogate Victim," and "From Mimetic Desire to the Monstrous
Cala Girard, cala!

Il tonfo definitivo di credibilità la teoria di Girard lo subisce intorno a pagina trecento quando l'autore, non contento d'aver ricondotto al meccanismo del capro espiatorio tutti i miti e i riti, e la società e i sistemi di parentela e quant'altro ancora, afferma che quivi avrebbe la sua origine addirittura il linguaggio umano.
Sì, e dopo?

(tre stelle per lo stile di scrittura e i numerosi spunti; altrimenti: due)
Provocative and brilliant ideas lurk within, ideas that scramble one's view of civilization, religion, and violence. But at the same time, it's a difficult book to get through. The book's at its best when it is directly engaging various rites and works of art. There are some drier stretches here and there, but the overall effect is amazing. Looking forward to more from René.
I had to read a section of this for a course on theories of myth...and I must say I found it so fascinating that I checked the whole book out of the library at UofT even though I didn't have to read the whole thing for the course list...we'll see how far I get! More to come...
Ronald Tardelly,s.x.
I've read this book in french version, la violence et le sacré. Girard helps us to understand the mimetic mecanisme dans our human nature, which becomes the roots of violence. The notion of sacred can not be understood without reffering to this theory of mimetic desire.
Jun 20, 2011 Joe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
First couple chapters were either 1) difficult to understand or 2) blowing my mind. I got distracted with reading leftist propoganda (my beach reading) so I may have to come back to this at a later time...
This is a fascinating combination of anthropology and literary theory. I'm skeptical of the broad claims of the analysis, but it at least provokes some interesting thought processes about atonement.
Incredibly ambitious and heir to most of the mistakes of Freud's analysis of religion. Nevertheless I think there are some provocative and powerful ideas here.
Luke Echo
Girards idea of Mimetic Violence has a certain appeal, and his positivistic reading of sacrifice and religion was quite convincing.
Thank goodness we have moved beyond meta-narrative and teleology because this book belongs firmly to the 1970s from whence it came.
Jacques le fataliste et son maître
Rivelazione. Girard conduce passo passo verso le cose nascoste sin dalla fondazione del mondo – le cose essenziali.
Informative and interesting. Girard was a smart man. [warning: for academic knowledge only!!!]

Reread for exams. This time all the way through. I think I could have stopped half way.
Kristi Sparta
Read after 9/11, very dense and not for everyone but life changing for me.
Robert Wright
Excellent, but dense and hard to read in that French deconstructionist way.
Lisa Greer
Jan 10, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scholars
A must read for scholarly inquiry into violence in any age.
Te vuela y cabeza y si, te deja un poco perturbado
Read it for the most cogent understanding of desire.
"Violence is the heart and secret soul of the sacred."
Read this and Zizek's VIOLENCE back-to-back.
  • Theory of Religion
  • Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection
  • The Medieval Imagination
  • Tristes Tropiques
  • The Psychic Life of Power: Theories in Subjection
  • The Monstrosity of Christ: Paradox or Dialectic?
  • Forget Foucault (Foreign Agents) (Semiotext(e) / Foreign Agents)
  • Homo Sacer: Sovereign Power and Bare Life
  • The Proper Study of Mankind
  • Being and Event
  • Critique of Cynical Reason
  • Responsibility and Judgment
Crítico literario, historiador y filósofo francés notable por su teoría de la mímesis que surgió en primera instancia para analizar obras literarias en las que se muestran relaciones interpersonales miméticas. Posteriormente fue aplicada al análisis de la violencia en las sociedades primitivas que se fundamentan en lo sagrado; y por extensión, a la violencia en las sociedades contemporáneas.
Se gra
More about René Girard...

“The goal of religious thinking is exactly the same as that of technological research -- namely, practical action. Whenever man is truly concerned with obtaining concrete results, whenever he is hard pressed by reality, he abandons abstract speculation and reverts to a mode of response that becomes increasingly cautious and conservative as the forces he hopes to subdue, or at least to outrun, draw ever nearer.” 11 likes