Start by marking “Manifesto per l'eliminazione dei maschi” as Want to Read:
Manifesto per l'eliminazione dei maschi

Manifesto per l'eliminazione dei maschi

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  2,086 ratings  ·  231 reviews
SCUM Manifesto was considered one of the most outrageous, violent and certifiably crazy tracts when it first appeared in 1968. Valerie Solanas, the woman who shot Andy Warhol, self-published this work just before her rampage against the king of Pop Art made her a household name and resulted in her confinement to a mental institution. But the Manifesto, for all its vitriol, ...more
Published 1993 by ES (first published 1967)

I am both a walking dildo and a walking abortion. I, like every man, know deep down that I'm a worthless piece of shit.

Well, shit. Look, here's the thing. People either compare this to something like A Modest Proposal or they dismiss it as the work of a raving lunatic. Very few feminists would agree with Solanas. Especially since Solanas has lots of (really offensive) shit to say about women, especially women who like fucking dudes ("raving sex maniacs" is a very mild example).

The manifesto is
I had no idea how to prepare for college, nor any idea what to do once I got there. I just knew that my friends were going, and I didn't want to get a job. I started by perming my hair. This seemed, somehow, the most logical step, though apparently nobody told any of my friends this, and if asked where I'd gotten the idea, I likely would have replied "I am going to college!" and fled, crying and punching myself. I then went to T.J. Maxx and bought a bunch of weird-looking clothes. Lots of vibran ...more
Anthony Vacca
On one hand, Valerie Solanas’ self-published 1968 incendiary quasi-treatise, the SCUM Manifesto, is a full-on attack of the male-dominated status quo of 20th century American society, and—if viewed as a vicious satire à la Swift’s A Modest Proposal—is written in as spirited and vile a voice as any one of the many vitriolic grotesqueries to be found in the best of Alexander Theroux’s writing. The manifesto’s humble opinion is that women are the only half of our species that deserve to live and th ...more
If SCUM ever marches, it will be over the President's stupid, sickening face; if SCUM ever strikes, it will be in the dark with a six-inch blade.

As near as this 'biological accident' of feeble brain and weak will can tell, this book is the Modest Proposal of second-wave feminism. By proposing an idea so ridiculous, so genocidal and violent, so stereotyping and repulsive, the author asks questions about the silent limitations and gilded cages of women in the mid-20th century.

I once got into an a
Alexander Santiago
The assertion by its author of the inherent superiority of women over men, and whose book opens with ". . men are a biological accident . . " and puts forth that argument in a rollercoaster debate, you know you are definitely in for a hell of a ride. Thus is Valerie Solanas' magnum opus - SCUM (Society for Cutting Up Men) Manifesto - a feminist classic from the revolutionary change of the '60s, in which she penned her edgy, radical, brilliant thoughts and ideas, namely the purging from the earth ...more
Anthony D'Juan Shelton
Feb 22, 2008 Anthony D'Juan Shelton rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not sure.
Recommended to Anthony by: Ian Preston Cinnamon
Gotta love this book. It's so right on and so way off. It's beautiful in theory and tragic in reality.
I'm reading this, as a man of course, and cheering on Solanas' bad-ass, hilarious, blunt-force-trauma, withering, genocidal rant against men. It would be like a Jew cheering on Hitler at the Nuremberg rallies.

But seriously, this manifesto -- a fuck-load more fun than Marx's "Communist Manifesto" -- half makes me want to march into the mountain to my demise like the rat I am (being male), lead by the Pied Piper's siren-song of pussy.

This magnificently breathless, radical feminist tirade -- filled
Since an early age, women are told to look past the misogyny in much so called "great art". Screw that! Here is a hilarious answer to 2,000 (or more) years of patriarchal oppression. Solanas is brilliantly witty, and for those scardey cat, humorless males that say "but she tried to kill someone!" the answer to that is- so did Norman Mailer. And William Burroughs actually KILLED his wife, but we would NEVER hold that against these "GREAT WRITERS", now, would we? Althusser...I'm sure the list goes ...more
Hunger For Knowledge
If written by a man, I can only assume how much hatred this book would receive. My humble guess is, it would make a lot of female panties go painfully screwed up between buttocks. But as it is written by a female, the female who shot Andy Warhol, we must seek and understand the insightful contest of the text. It even reads on the back of the book. We-must-do.

Nonetheless, if you are interested in hardcore political feminism, give this book a try, it is only 35 pages long. Weird experience is wai
mark monday
cute book, and a handy guide for getting rid of some of these annoying guys crowding up the planet. valerie solanas is adorable!
Hey, I wrote a book. How can I get this published? Nobody will touch it? What if I tried to kill a famous person? Hello fame!
Not sure if this is serious or not. If serious, it’s one of the worst books ever written. If an elaborate satire, then very effective. Object of the satire could be misogynist discourse (i.e., applying the same barbarities to men that are routinely applied to women), or feminist discourse (i.e., taking certain feminist principles and exaggerating them to irrational ends), or the discourse of masculinity (i.e., suggesting that masculinist doctrine sets up an ideal that needs to be cut up (analyze ...more
Why are manifestos so often written by crazies? This 50-page anti-male screed by the woman most famous for shooting Andy Warhol is, well, kind of hard to read. I can ignore the man hatred - that's a matter of opinion - but many of her suggestions for improving the world are simply batty. First, that her notion of communism would work. It's inconceivable that all the people of the world would work together towards Solanas's idea of the common good. Second, "automation" does not mean zero work. Ma ...more
Yikes. As part of my attempt to get back to 'real' reading, I finally decided to tackle this infamous work.

Ugh. I cannot make myself believe the author was serious about these ideas in a literal way. I think the Manifesto succeeds as a condemnation of patriarchy and classism. My guess is, she was going for some kind of satire--an indictment of '60s radicals and their extremist ways?

The writing, however, is awful, and on its face, horribly offensive. It's sad to me that this is viewed by so many
"The male is a biological accident: the Y (male) gene is an incomplete X (female) gene, that is, it has an incomplete set of chromosomes. In other words, the male is an incomplete female, a walking abortion, aborted at the gene stage. To be male is to be deficient, emotionally limited; maleness is a deficiency disease and males are emotional cripples."

Pat Shackleford
Mar 30, 2009 Pat Shackleford rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crab People / Fat Chicks / Sex in the city fans
Five stars for being a woman, that didn`t just complain/screech when she was offended by something. Instead she wrote an manifesto for the extermination of males and shot Andy Warhol.

This woman is clearly superior than all those broads who claim to be modern and tolerant, but screech out when somebody dares to touch their o so beloved celebrities.
Tim Page
We'll start off with the good. Feminists are among the most uncool people in the word and their writings are less interesting than watching water boil. In contrast Valerie Solanas is actually funny at times. Men are "obsessed with screwing; he’ll swim through a river of snot, wade nostril-deep through a mile of vomit, if he thinks there’ll be a friendly pussy awaiting him. He’ll screw a woman he despises, any snaggle-toothed hag, and furthermore, pay for the opportunity." The childish tawdriness ...more
There is a fine line behind crazy and inspired. There is also a fine line between crazy and genius but Valerie Solanas was no genius. For that matter, she probably wasn't crazy. At least, not at first. She was a very troubled woman damaged by child molestation and abuse. She appeared to have had volatile relationships with others, letting them in then turning against them when they turned out to be flawed humans. This defense mechanism had tragic consequences for both her and Andy Warhol, who sh ...more
What a load of crap! I am a woman but gosh how I hate feminists! This is about how unfair men have treated women through the ages and that women should take a stand - and how are they to do that? By doing the exact same thing as men did by repress and diminish them - in other words, the women should sink themselves down to an unforgivable level and behave as badly as men had. Yeah, good idea!
It's a good dose of crazy, faulty reasoning. Very entertaining.

Underlying some of her radical and ridiculous statements are actually some interesting concepts (which we still hear about--lab babies, for example). However, you have to dig through her man-hating murderous rage to see it.

I just hope no one comes across this and thinks it's what feminism really is.
Alongside the discussion about the male is defective animal, she says some profound things about the gender roles in a way calm,droll acadamic essays about men,women cant say. It is very special reading someone who is fearless about some really big human issues.

The agressive language,tone made it a powerful read.
May 10, 2007 andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that like good books
this is the real thing totally pure,angry and beautiful.every girl should be given a copy of this book the second she starts menstration,lets see how that changes the world.the s.c.u.m. legions vs. the patriarchy.i dont care if im killed in the fray,id be happy just to be a part of it.
Paquita Maria Sanchez
a laugh-out-loud, gut-busting comedic performance.
I deeply resent that the top reviews for this book are written by men. May the ghost of Valerie Solanas haunt all of you.

The SCUM Manifesto is important to me because it represents every "irrational" thought I've had when I've been angry and, due to both rage and social constraints placed around the proper expression of women's emotion, unable to express them. In The SCUM Manifesto , these thoughts are presented as justified and even logical. When I read The SCUM Manifesto, I feel legitimized.
Nov 03, 2014 Leajk rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: misogynists
Recommended to Leajk by: no one
I will write a really long review of this some day talking about how bad I feel for Solanas who obviously had both intellect and wits, but also serious mental issues.

About how sorry I am that she sould have to go and ruin this brilliant satire by shooting Andy Warhol.

About how it's still a suprisingly fun and overall suprising read contrary to my previous belifs about the book. Especially since there wasn't actually any detailed descriptions about actually cutting or shooting men. That was a r
"Life in this society being, at best, an utter bore and no aspect of society being at all relevant to women, there remains to civic-minded, responsible, thrill-seeking females only to overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation and destroy the male sex."

So says Valerie Solanas at the beginning of her SCUM Manifesto. The manifesto itself is violent, twisted, and disturbing--but the frustration and anger Solanas exhibits is, given the society in which she li
Jun 14, 2009 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who ponder sexism
Recommended to Wendy by: Brian at work
This short little book is pretty funny. I have never read such a man-hating tirade and it made me laugh a whole bunch. Apparently, Solanas was asked at some point to make her manifesto into a novel and it's too bad that doesn't exist, because it would be awesome! I wonder how much of this was written in seriousness and how much is satire.

I gave it three stars just for political reasons. Feminism gets a bad name these days and stuff like this probably isn't helpful... humorous though it is.

It al
Valerie Solanas was certainly one crazy Jewess. As most people know she shot Andy Warhol after being shunned by his social clique which she briefly gained access to. There is a boring intro written by someone other than Solanas which constitues about 40% of the book. As for the actual SCUM Manifesto the main theme seems to be males do bad things and want to control everything because they subconciously want to be women. Kind of an inverted version of penis envy I suppose.

I do have to be fair to
Best read as satire, very very funny, attempts to say literally what men -hailed as great thinkers- have always said about women, except about men. However, given the unscientific nature of the book and the time it was written at its sadly pretty transphobic and has an ignorant understanding of gender. Definitely should not be quoted as feminism in my opinion.
At moments incoherent, at other moments, brilliant, this book is beyond radical feminism, it's occasionally funny and at times, despite myself, I found myself nodding my head a little in agreement.

CAVEAT - a date once browsed my bookshelf, saw this, and got a little nervous thinking I was one of those "man-hating feminists." I said, "Then why would I date you or any man?" This is like Mein Kampf -- it's interesting to read but not necessarily in your best interests to display.
  • Intercourse
  • Hey, Shorty!: A Guide to Combating Sexual Harassment and Violence in Schools and on the Streets
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
  • Gyn/Ecology: The Metaethics of Radical Feminism
  • Pedagogies of Crossing: Meditations on Feminism, Sexual Politics, Memory, and the Sacred
  • Feminism Unmodified: Discourses on Life and Law
  • Prins Charles känsla
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
  • The Dialectic of Sex: The Case for Feminist Revolution
  • The Fire This Time: Young Activists and the New Feminism
  • Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire
  • Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black
  • Men and Feminism: Seal Studies
Valerie Jean Solanas was an American radical feminist writer best known for shooting the artist Andy Warhol in 1968. She wrote the SCUM Manifesto, an essay on patriarchal culture advocating the creation of an all-female society.
More about Valerie Solanas...

“A woman not only takes her identity and individuality for granted, but knows instinctively that the only wrong is to hurt others, and that the meaning of life is love.” 2 likes
“What will liberate women, therefore, from male control is the total elimination of the money-work system, not the attainment of economic equality with men within it.” 1 likes