Start by marking “Il libretto rosso del golf” as Want to Read:
Il libretto rosso del golf

Il libretto rosso del golf

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,513 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Harvey Penick's life in golf began when he started caddying at the Austin, (Texas), Country Club at age eight. Eighty-one years later he is still there, still dispensing wisdom to pros and beginners alike. His stature in the golf world is reflected in the remarkable array of champions he's worked with, both men and women, including U.S. Open champion and golf's leading mon ...more
Published 1995 by Sperling & Kupfer (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Il libretto rosso del golf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il libretto rosso del golf

Anecdotes and advice from a golf pro for days of yore.
The game of golf has changed since then, and he notes it near the end of the book when he covers trick shots. He laments a bit that the game has become more power biased.

Some interesting notes (very basic).
- Practice your swing with a 7 iron.
- most time is spent with irons and putting. Don't over practice
on a driver.
- Relax and find what works for you. there is no perfect swing/stance, etc
that works for everyone. It's your perfect swing you
Jun 07, 2008 Allan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Golfers
This delightful book captivated me back when I was actively attacking golf. Perhaps the best thing about it? You really don't have to know much about golf to enjoy these life lessons by Mr. Penick. But if you remember Ben Crenshaw's win at the Masters Tournament in 1995, a week after Mr. Penick's death - how he dropped to his knees, weeping, as his last putt went in, you understand how much his mmentor's life and teachings affected Mr. Crenshaw.

I was given this book by my wife shortly after that
Ray Kelly
Harvey Penick’s Little Red Book is probably the greatest instructional book of all time. I first read it becuase of the suggestions of my first real golf teacher, and good friend, Arkansas's Bill Brown, a student of Harvey Penick. It has become essential reading for me and I suggest it should be for golfers of any age and ability. The legendary Harvey Penick began his golfing career as a caddie in Austin, Texas, at the age of eight, and over the course of a lengthy career in golf he taught an am ...more
Kyle Begley
Harvey Penick’s Little Red Book is filled with the great stories of legendary golf teacher Harvey Penick. Penick has worked with a great deal of pro golfers and helped get them to the highest point in their careers. My little Red Book is a book that helps the beginner or even the seasoned pro golfer with physical and psychological tips for the game. From learning tips on a bunker shot, or what to do if you arrive to the course late and have a short amount of time to warm up, Penick takes you on ...more
Brad Lyerla
What a comfort this little book is for a golfer! Simple and wise, Penick makes golf sensible for expert and hacker alike. It is a must read for all golfers.

A key take away for me is that Penick instructs us to "take dead aim." Of course. And yet, I bet the vast majority of shots I hit in a round are just approximations. No more. I resolve to take dead aim. That now is my mantra.
Ben Margraves
This book was released while I was in high school in the 90's. I was a golfer and it consumed my life most of the time. This book was like my bible. I read this book to improve my game by taking notes from it and writing them on my hats, bags, scorecards and anything else I could imagine. The lessons in this book were not only applied o golf but to life as well.
The little red book by Harvey Penick is one of the best golf books I have ever read in my life time this book teaches you great and new skills to use in golf. If you are a golf fanatic this is your book but it is also a great book for beginners in golf. I have gotten very helpful hints and strategy on how to play golf from this book in fact my game has gotten alto better. This book has changed my game I recommend this book for everyone that plays golf I don’t care how well you play or how much y ...more
Christian Clarke
I confess: I've lost myself to golf addiction. Practicing, playing, watching youtube clips of past golf stars, perusing Golf magazines, and, finally, stocking up on golf-books. I now think more about golf than sex.

In the Canon of golf-related texts there are but few that I'm aware of, such as Ben Hogan's technical treatise on the fundamentals of the no-hook swing and Jack Nicklaus's Golf My Way. I've read Hogan's, but not Jack's, although I've seen excerpts of the video online. In fact, the onl
Harvey Penick's Little Red Book - it's a great book as it has taught me many lessons about the challenging game of golf. I always went to this book when I was bored, and had nothing to do. I would recommend this book to anyone who plays the game of golf, and is looking to improve their game. This book had great details and really helped me with my game, and I'm sure it will help you too.
Brendan Hall
A helpful guide to golf. Some essential tips which helped me improve my strategies and overall game (although I am far from being "good" by any means of evaluation). Helpful philosophy for practicing putting and one's short game as a large majority of the game is made up by these shots. Highly recommend this book to those interested in improving their golf game.
Adam Lund
The game of golf has changed, but people haven't. What makes this book a pleasure to read are the stories Harvey tells about the great players he knew and coached over the years and the relationships he built with so many. There is helpful instruction, but pay attention, it's all via the written word.
1st read in April 1993. Birthday gift.
2nd read July 19, 2015

Saw it mentioned again in July 2015, so I pulled it off the shelf. The good news is that many of the tips are timeless. The bad news is that, even at my age, Mr. Penick refers to golfers I only vaguely recall.
Julie Cannon
great read

Really enjoyed reading this book, the most interesting book I have ever had.
Recommend to any level of golfer or teacher.
Heard about Harvey Penick's books from Martin Hall of the golf channel.
Cedric Hendrix
Harvey Penick was a very wise man. When reading this book, it doesn't take long to see why so many of his charges were drawn to his homespun, folksy wisdom. While some of the material is, admittedly, a little dated, there is still more than enough here to improve the game and mindset of anyone that plays golf. I can only imagine what Harvey's wisdom would do for Tiger Woods these days.

The most important thing I learned from Harvey Penick is simple: take the game seriously, but not yourself. You
Charles Balsamico
I love the simplicity behind his instruction and how his care for others, and his care for the game, jumps off the pages thru countless personal stories with all the legends of the game. Take dead aim!
Michael Vincent
Nice book of a variety of sayings and helps about golf. An easy format to read with mostly short thoughts, quips and stories. Tells some of the history of golf, especially in Texas.
Tara Choate
I guess you'd have to be a little more serious about golf than I am to really delve into this. A few amusing stories with a lot of text about golfing. Okay, but I just wasn't interested.
Lar Mill
Top notch timeless instruction.
Dan Mansfield
I've read this book several times over, and have given copies to friends as gifts. It is a timeless book, with great advice on how to approach the mental and—to a lesser extent—physical aspects of the game. I will never get tired of reading this book. It focuses mainly on how to approach the game philosophically, but also mixes in some pointers on how to swing a golf club properly, but without getting too technical. This book makes me truly appreciate what a wonderful thing it is to play golf, n ...more
Sean O'Neill
Great book of VERY short stories about golf.
Penick was a famous golf professional/instructor in Austin, Texas and this book is filled with little stories and lessons that he wrote down and collected throughout his life.
He taught and coached golf for several players in Texas and at the University of Texas who eventually became stars on the PGA tour.
Great little book, that my uncle (a golf fanatic)and many other golfers call "the bible".
If you're even remotely interested in golf you have to read t
Very enjoyable collection of Harvey Penick's life and golf observations. While I cannot say that this book will make you a better golfer, it might help make you a little bit of a wiser person. Even though he does make a good point on why you should practice your short game.

Overall, an easy and enjoyable read. The way the book is laid out, it is easy to pick up and put down. If you are looking for a bathroom reader (no offense to the author), and are a golf nut, then look no further.
Bob Mcbobson
Very interesting book. A must read for golf fans.
Matt Boesch
A great book from a bygone era of golf that still has so much relevance for today. If one can apply half of what is contained in this book he/she would become a well above average golfer.
My scores always went down after I read this book. I probably should have read it once a month when I was playing golf. When I finally pick up the game again I hope I remember to read it again. I should add that for me it's also entertaining as an autobiography. Unassuming and lovely. It lowers my blood pressure (which is probably all it needs to do to lower my golf scores, come to think of it).
I really enjoyed the book and the style it's written in. It's basically the journal of Harvey Penick, one of the most famous golf teachers ever. It's an easy read with golf tips, life tips and funny thoughts/observations mixed in. It's also a great bed-side book as each "journal entry" probably averages less than two pages. I recommend it for anyone at least somewhat interested in golf.
Alan Livingston
Mr. Penick certainly ranks among the best teachers the game has ever known. When you learn how this book came about, when you hear students including the likes of Ben Crenshaw and Tom Kite describe how Harvey would begin his interaction with any pupils, when you learn about this man's life, you gain an appreciation for how he made the lives of those around him so much richer.
This is a great golf tip book for the beginning golfer on up. It is written with humor and grace. It is the kind of book you want to take with you to the next golf course. Harvey Penick was a great golf teacher to many pros etc and his interesting format of writing keeps you interested and you want to earmark chapters for future reference. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
M Boughner
Very disappointing. I have never given 1 star before. This is marketed as an old-time folksy instructional book that spins timeless wisdom about golf and life. Instead I paid dearly for a short and useless book of ramblings and name dropping. It had just enough vague golf instruction to screw up my game for life.
Erroll Treslan
Penick - what an awesome guy. I wish I could have taken a lesson from him or, better yet, sat down and had a visit with him before he passed away. This book contains several instructional jewels and my left thumb will never lie straight down on the shaft again!
I got this book as a gift and had no clue what to expect. As a new golfer I expected this to be mostly over my head and it off date. on both counts I was wrong. This was a really enjoyable book and I will definitively be looking back to it as my game evolves.
  • Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
  • Final Rounds: A Father, a Son, the Golf Journey of a Lifetime
  • Golf Dreams: Writings on Golf
  • Golf My Way
  • Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • Dead Solid Perfect
  • The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story
  • The Golf Omnibus
  • Golf in the Kingdom
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee

“The cup is only one inch wide for a putt that is struck too hard. The cup is four inches wide for a ball that dies at the hole.” 0 likes