White Time

White Time

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Lose yourself in White Time

White Time is mind time, body time, soul time, heart time.

White Time is other worlds, other dimensions, other states of being.

White Time is out of time.

In this transcendent collection of short stories, Margo Lanagan, author of the award-winning story collection "Black Juice," deftly navigates a new set of worlds in which the boundaries between re...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Eos (first published October 1st 2000)

Just Listen by Sarah DessenPretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardThe Rules of Survival by Nancy WerlinIt's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned VizziniLife As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
YA Novels of 2006
71st out of 113 books — 55 voters
Switch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceBeyond Bridalveil Fall by Sheryl SealBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul Cude
Best Fantasy/Fiction For Teens
182nd out of 203 books — 140 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy

Posted at Shelf Inflicted

Anthologies are fun to read because they feature a wide variety of authors and styles. With their hit-or-miss qualities, however, they can also end up being disappointing. If I run into a real dud of a story, do I set the book aside and pick up something else or skip the story and continue reading? I have several partially read anthologies just because that dud was stuck somewhere in the middle.

Short stories by one author are a little different. At least I can...more
Tatiana
Jun 25, 2010 Tatiana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: existing fans of Margo Lanagan
My second Margo Lanagan's collection of short stories. While enjoyable, it is less compelling than Red Spikes.

First, unlike Red Spikes which had a feel magical realism throughout, White Time is a blend of genres - it consists of sci-fi, fantasy and distopian stories. It makes the collection a little uneven.

And second, a couple of stories are just a little too sketchy for my taste and not very successful in bringing their points across - "Welcome Blue," for instance, a story about the arrival of...more
John
I have a copy of Lanagan's multiple award-winning first collection Black Juice somewhere in the house; I began reading it when it first came out, but for some reason I was interrupted and I never got back to it. On the strength of this second collection I should make a bit of an effort to dig Black Juice out.

On the strength of the best of this second collection, anyway. Although there's no doubt that Lanagan has a strong control of voice a sometimes excellent imagination, on several occasions h...more
Hallie
Jun 06, 2009 Hallie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Audrey
Shelves: kids-books
I read Black Juice by this author and loved it, so I was excited to discover another collection of her short stories. It's good, but none of the stories stuck with me the way a few of the stories from Black Juice did. One thing I especially approve of in her writing is that she doesn't waste any time on exposition. The reader is dumped "in medias res" and left to figure out when and where he is (not always an obvious task, since she likes to play with alternate realities/magical realism/etc.). S...more
Arminzerella
Mrs. Foley
Presents ten short stories, both dark and hopeful, that journey into the past, the future, and altered versions of the present. - From library catalog record

This book of short stories is weird...but interesting. It is definitely not for everyone. If you are very interested in fantasy or science fiction or just strange stories, you may like it. Some stories I really liked and others were just okay.

Review from Booklist:
Although this is the second story collection by Australian author Lanagan to r...more
Rhea
Aug 21, 2013 Rhea marked it as to-read-normal-speed
My thoughts so far:

White Time - Complex, meaningful, imaginative... a wonderful opening. (4 stars)

Dedication -

Tell and Kiss - A "teen with problems" story twisted with magic realism. Sad, real, and hopeful. (4 stars)

The Queen's Notice -

Big Rage - How interesting we humans are, that a few sheets of paper can make us laugh and cry and fall in love! In this case, I fell in love with the protagonist in a mere 20 pages. She's a fantastic example of a strong female character: not the kick-ass type (w...more
Kritika
Some of these stories were amazing, and others, I didn't understand. I was expecting more science fiction and more blending of time, but this anthology seemed more like a random bunch of stories stuck together. I didn't see the thematic link as well as I saw it in Black Juice.
My favorite story from this anthology was Dedication - dressing the battle-scarred and mutilated princess so that her father never notices that his once-beautiful daughter is any different. The dedication ceremony at the en...more
Alison
I really liked some of these stories, but others weren't interesting to me. Not as great as her other books (Black Juice and Tender Morsels) that I've read.
Kifflie
It's been a few years since I read Lanagan's Black Juice, so I was looking forward to enjoying this collection. And I wasn't disappointed.

Lanagan is phenomenal at creating believable, eerie worlds in just a few pages. Just when you get used to living in an ant colony (The Queen's Notice), Lanagan pops you into the world of tiny wish-fulfilling sprites (Midnight Mission).

Just marvelous work, and well worth reading.
Marg
My odyssey through the short story collections of Margo Lanagan continues. This time, I travel through White Time. Once again, the worlds that Margo Lanagan creates vary from similar to our worlds to completely different but the emotions that we are exposed to are always familiar and always moving!

Read the rest of my review at http://www.theintrepidreader.com/2011...
Tessa
These stories have a lot of ideas packed into them. My favorite is the title story. It has a great sense of sadness, inevitability, and wasted restlessness of life, as well as a weird premise that was explained just enough.

Sure, sometimes Lanagan's language calls attention to itself but not in a way that is pleased with itself. Maybe a bit peacocky. That's what I want, though, when I read her.
Willow Curtis
After reading the first four stories, I set the book down and thought I wasn't going to finish it. However, after reading something else I was able to pick the book up again and get through it. I'm glad I did. Out of the 10 stories in this anthology, my favorite were The Boy Who Didn't Yearn and Wealth. The others were Okay.
LaLa
Margo doesn't tell you the rules. Her bad-guys don't explain their motivation. Her good guys don't walk around in shining armor. Instead reading each of these tales takes you to a distict place where even if you don't know the rules and you can't name the planet; you can smell and see and taste and feel everything deeply.
Krystal
Collection of short stories, the first of which is the story White Time. Lanagan is one of the most amazing writers I've come across. Her verse is hypnotic and you can't go to sleep once you start one of her books. Sleep comes upon completion else you lie awake wondering.
Roby
One thing Lanagan does do very well in these stories is "show don't tell". In most of the stories, the narrator speaks as if we already know the rules of their world, rather than explaining, and the reader must figure things out through context.
Nicole
Jul 27, 2009 Nicole added it
Had high expectations for this book but very disappointed. Skim read the final 2 chapters. The entire book made no sense to me at all. Perhaps because it was teenage fiction I was too old for it............ Does not even get 1 star.
Charlotte
Maybe it gets better later on, but I'm giving up after 130 pages in because it is pretty boring and nothing exciting ever happens with the characters that you have no background on. Not a good book.
Christine
I'm generally not fond of short stories, but these were excellent. Technically young adult--stories are quirky and just plain odd. GREAT characters, real and in interesting circumstances...
Nightfalltwen
This just goes to show that I have no interest in short stories. Especially ones that are trying too hard. This collection was trying just too damn hard to be existential or something.
Kate
After I finished this book, I still had no idea what it was about. But, it was nice...I guess?
Amber
this is what i say so far about this book...."????" not sure i get it yet. anyone else??
Michelle
Compelling collection of short stories for young adults which I enjoyed thoroughly.
Leah Horlick
Not as good as Black Juice...we'll see about Red Spikes!
Millenia
Mind-bending as ever. Love it!
Kelsen
Kelsen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Dalal O
Dalal O marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Gabriel Herring
Gabriel Herring marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
  • The Braid
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Places I Never Meant To Be: Original Stories by Censored Writers
  • The Beastly Bride: Tales of the Animal People
  • Sideshow: Ten Original Tales of Freaks, Illusionists and Other Matters Odd and Magical
  • Twice Told: Original Stories Inspired by Original Artwork
  • Cherry Heaven
  • Paper Cities: An Anthology of Urban Fantasy
  • Alyzon Whitestarr
  • The Weight of the Sky
  • Terribly Twisted Tales
  • A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of Extraterrestrial Novelties
  • The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, Who Planned to Live an Unusual Life
Margo Lanagan, born in Waratah, New South Wales, is an Australian writer of short stories and young adult fiction.

Many of her books, including YA fiction, were only published in Australia. Recently, several of her books have attracted worldwide attention. Her short story collection Black Juice won two World Fantasy Awards. It was published in Australia by Allen & Unwin and the United Kingdom b...more
More about Margo Lanagan...
Tender Morsels The Brides of Rollrock Island Black Juice Red Spikes Yellowcake