3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Drawings with brief comments by the author describe her memories of life in a California internment camp during World War II.
Published January 1st 1983 by University of Washington Press (first published 1946)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 01, 2014
    Mine Okubo was one more than a hundred thousand people of Japanese descent - nearly two-thirds of whom were American citizens - who were forced into “…more
    Giveaway dates: Mar 24 - May 10, 2014
    3 copies available, 379 people requesting
    Countries available: US
  • Friend Reviews

Snow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie FordDesert Exile by Yoshiko UchidaFarewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki HoustonThe Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
    Japanese American Internment
    15th out of 39 books — 31 voters
    The Joy Luck Club by Amy TanI Love Yous Are for White People by Lac SuThe Namesake by Jhumpa LahiriSnow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa SeeInterpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
    Asian American Books
    106th out of 131 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

Alex Baugh
    When I was a kid, I read comic books, lots of them and all kinds – everything from Archie to Superman. So I know the power of putting together graphics and text. And I have to confess, that when I was in school, we could still find Classics Illustrated* in second hand comic stores and I may have actually used one or two of these for book reports. But today, all kinds’ graphic books are available, of considerably better quality than Classics Illustrated were and very popular among readers of all...more
    Amanda
    I read this for English. It was pretty cool because it was in graphic novel form. Although you definitely can't disregard the weight of the subject, the writing was pretty bland and overall not my favorite.
    Melissa
    It is of utmost importance for survivors of trauma, like the Japanese who endured the racist and violent internment during World War Two, to tell their own stories. The book's greatest success was Okubo's drawings of her life in the camps from 1942 until 1945 (she is primarily an artist), which are evocative, informative, sometimes bitter, sometimes joyous, and—this needs to be said—amazingly great at eluding the grips of censors as she was released from her camps.

Published in 1946, Citizen 136...more
    Marinda
    This is a powerful account of the Japanese internment. Okubo shares her experiences objectively and concisely. It is a treasure for those trying to decipher this period in history. One of the more tragic things I read is the following:

In Tanforan Assembly Center a movement for self government was started by the evacuees, they organized a campaign complete with slogans and rallies to elect an official Center Advisory Council. The election gave the Issei their first chance to vote along with their...more
    Frank
    A nice, almost blase, look at the Japanese internment camps from a "resident artist."

I think the tone stems from the basic writing of someone who is primarily an artist, but I found it interesting that if the accompanying pictures had not been of sullen, slumped over figures, but rather images of happy-go-lucky folks, much of the text could have been used to make it a piece of pro-internment propaganda.

And actually, it was an admirable account of how the majority of Japanese conducted themselve...more
    Rach
    I'd pretty much given up on finding a copy of this one to borrow, when suddenly, the Interlibrary Loan came through again! Sure, it took 4 months, but it's better than nothing, right? I just think it's funny that this book was published by the University of Washington press, yet they had to go all the way to Spokane County to find a copy to borrow.

Anyways, the art and design on this book reminded me more of a kid's picture book than the more classically comic stylings of the others I've been rea...more
    Deranged Pegasus
    Alyssa
    Mine Okubo certainly has an interesting and compelling story, but I found her style rather dull and bland. As an informational text it would be very valuable, because she manages to convey her narrative with impressive objectivity, but as a novel it left me unsatisfied. I wanted more emotion, more characterization.
    Janet Aileen
    This is a graphic journal documenting the evacuation and internment of the author, Mine Okubo in the early 1940s. It is widely recognized as an important reference book on the internment of the Japanese in the United States during World War II. The journal, which describes the day to day lives of the confined people, includes over 200 of her sketches (cameras were not allowed in the camp). This record of the struggles and indignities of bewildered and humiliated people, is told without bitternes...more
    Mark Williams
    I'm interested in Japanese Americans during the 1940s. Citizen 13660 is an autobiography of a young Japanese American artist who was moved to a relocation camp at the beginning of World War II. She provides a sequence of beautiful mural type drawings to illustrate her book. The drawings add great detail to camp life. Gentle, compliant and humorous as they made this draining transition, I often wonder how their young men could be such fierce fighters for the U.S. In Europe during the same period....more
    Tyler
    Citizen 13660 is an interesting text that could coincide with a World War 2 history lesson. The book is a complete comic drawn by Mine Okubo who was a child in the internment camps put up after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The book is so perfect as it's a completely unique lens for the inside of camps America didn't even know existed until the 1980's. These aren't posed photos, they are in the moment sketches drawn from the eyes of a child. The characters sprawl high above her, tight quarters ar...more
    Maggie
    Mine Okubo recorded her experience in US Government concentration camps for Japanese and Japanese Americans during WWII, first at the San Francisco racetrack (not kidding) and then, the "permanent" residence at Topaz in Utah. The unique thing about her account is that it is told entirely in pictures, another graphic novel-memoir. Mine's book, taken from over 10,000 drawings, was first published in 1946 and has been in print ever since. She tells a story which could be heavy-handed, in a very sub...more
    Kathleen Wilcox
    This books was fascinating, as I've never read anything about the conditions inside the Japanese internment camps. I have way more questions after reading this than I did before. It's strange how the author never once really mentions the injustice of it all, and mentions a lot of small comforts they had once they moved into a slightly better camp. I'd love to read a collection of memoirs from people who lived in the camps. PS it's illustrated.
    Scott Benyacko
    The illustrations show a grim determination that goes nicely with the very matter-of-fact prose style. A must read about an oft-neglected period of US history.
    Diane
    Jun 09, 2013 Diane rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
    I became familiar with this wonderful book in 1972 when my 6 year old daughter used it for a school project. It opened something in my heart and mind and I have been passionate about the Japanese internment ever since. I realized I had forgotten the name of the book and am adding it to my Goodreads list so I won't forget it again.
    Christine
    Sep 06, 2007 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
    I first heard about the Japanese internment camps in High School, in a philosophy class. I was shocked. I read about them, in this book...by Mine Okubo in the Ethnic American Literature course.

Through illustration and text - it portrays what happened during WWII in the US. Strange the stories we are not told until we are old.
    April
    This is a true account of a young woman's experience at a Japanese Internment Camp during WWII. Her writing is very objective.. She bases it around sketches she did while in the camp to chronicle her experiences.
    While many people can appreciate the objectivity, I wanted to know what she felt.
    Jamie
    A quick, entertaining read a la Maus or Persepolis. I only wish that she would have brought more of a closure to the story than she did. I would recommend this to all. A shall we say overlooked part of our country's history.
    Anne
    Very touching and sad documentary style graphic novel about Japanese internment. Informative and also rather subversive in some of its visual storytelling. Great text to teach WWII Japanese-American history with.
    Brian
    Pretty incredible, with fairly simple drawings that convey honesty and absurdity well. On a very basic level - I knew very little about internment camps, which is offensive on my part - I actually learned quite a bit.
    flannery
    There's a really bittersweet graphic in here of Japanese immigrants, relegated to a race track outside of town, sitting on the grandstand and remembering what it was like to live in the mountains. Recommended.
    Max Hing
    Mine Okubo was sent to the same Japanese internment camp as my relatives. My family doesn't talk about being sent to the camps. This illustrated memoir of life in internment is invaluable.
    Emma
    Fascinating graphic novel drawn by the autobiographer as she experienced living in internment camp. Excellent to read parts aloud to students-better if I had an Elmo to show pictures.
    Mia
    I think this book is a very important historical document, but I thought the writing style was dull and didn't enjoy the drawings.
    Melissa Laird
    It was interesting, but I wanted more. I'll have to search out some other books on this topic.
    Tim
    This is great nightmare fuel, and dispels very well any notion of government benevolence.
    Leigh
    Rather dull and too short.. pictures didn't add anything.
    Kamillah
    Kamillah marked it as to-read
    Kyle
    Kyle marked it as to-read
    Kevin O'leary
    Kevin O'leary marked it as to-read
    • Desert Exile
    • All I Asking for Is My Body (Kolowalu Book)
    • Secret Identities: The Asian American Superhero Anthology
    • Vietnamerica: A Family's Journey
    • Angry Little Girls
    • Nisei Daughter
    • Prime Baby
    • Charlie Chan is Dead: An Anthology of Contemporary Asian American Fiction
    • No-No Boy
    • Through the arc of the rain forest.
    • Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration During World War II and a Librarian Who Made a Difference
    • Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale