Start by marking “The Storm (Sons of Destiny, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Storm (Sons of Destiny, #6)

The Storm (Sons of Destiny #6)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,522 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Sixth in the Sons of Destiny series from this national bestselling author.
Rora isn't a normal girl. She can see past the prickly exterior of Rydan of Nightfall, and only she can persuade him to put right what torments him before it destroys him. But Rora has her own secret...
Published September 2nd 2008 by Berkley (first published August 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Storm

Julie (jjmachshev)
Oh goody, goody. In "The Storm" by Jean Johnson, Ryder gets his woman! This is book five from the 'Sons of Destiny' series. The series follows eight brothers, four sets of twins who are under a curse and were banished to an island. Each book tells the story of one of the brothers, all mages, finding love in accordance with the prophecy and the curse.

Rydan is the antisocial one. He's always known that he felt better when he was apart from other people, he just didn't know why. He's also the Guard
Kaleigha
The Storm was, for me, the best in the series so far. I actually liked both Rydan and Rora, which is a feat in itself. In all of the previous books in the series, I have usually disliked either one of the two leads, or "Queen" Kelly was around to annoy me to no end. But in this installment, Kelly was scarce, and what there was of her was tolerable. Definitely a good story to this part of the Sons Of Destiny, and it was made even more interesting since it was told in tandem with the previous book ...more
The Window Seat
Mti Librarian
I love the fantasy worlds that Jean Johnson creates. I originally read all of this series, Sons of Destiny 8 books, in the spring of 2010. We were driving to New York at the time and had to stop at several bookstores. This is the third time I've read this particular one, however I've never re-read it's companion volume, The Cat.

Rydan, the sixth born of the Sons of Destiny, carefully guards the Nightfall Fountain, a source of magic, and leads a nocturnal life. He is not looking forward to meeting
Gardavson
Good book, the best so far in the series I think. I like Rydan, the more reserved, mysterious brother. This is his and Rora's story. And holy smokes, a heroine over whom I have no complaints! Go figure. Once again, Kelly still lives throughout the book and since I live for the hope that she'll get "offed" one day, this is a disappointment.

Rydan doesn't just lay down and accept his destiny - nor does he fight it in whole. I liked that. I felt that in this book, he chose his destiny, rather than
Alice
Book 6 Continues the Drama and Romance

Book 6 Continues the Drama and Romance

These books should be read in order as each one builds on the next. Rydan, the reclusive brother, does not wish to meet his destined bride. Very interestingly, this book follows sister Arora, who is attracted to Rydan, and it partially covers some of the events from The Cat (book 5) from her viewpoint instead of her sister Amara. This was a great idea, and worked very well by expanding and revealing more information abou
Annette
The best in the series so far! A good mix of romance, fantasy and the rest of the characters (and very little Kelly).
Paranormal Romance
Hunted unmercilessly for his powers, the hero and twin sister as homeless and wandering. Knowing that her sister is a little bitter about her sacrifice for the heroine's safety, the heroine seeks a place where they can finally be safe. She uses her special Sight which allows her to see every which way but the future to find a glimpse of the best destination. There, on a deserted island, the heroine stumbles upon the sleeping hero in his cave. There, the hero seduces the heroine in a drugged stat ...more
Wendy Hines
Eight brothers, born in four sets of twins, two years apart to the day—they fulfill the Curse of Eight Prophecy. Though no longer trapped in exile, their growing family faces new problems. Now Rydan, the tormented sixth-born son, must find a way to trust his Destined bride, Rora, a woman who possesses her own secret power—one that could bring them together or annihilate their world forever.

Rydan lives for the night. Seldom seen during the day, his brothers usually leave Rydan alone. He craves th
LWB Marissa
"The Sixth Son shall draw the line:
Shun the day and rule the night
Your reign’s end shall come at light
When Dawn steals into your hall
Bride of Storm shall be your fall"

Eight brothers, born in four sets of twins, two years apart to the day – they fulfill the Curse of the Eight Prophecies. Though no longer trapped in exile, their growing family faces new problems. Now the sixthborn son must find a way to trust his Destined Bride…

Out of the eight brothers, Rydan is the only one who does not embrace
MaggieReadsRom
4.5 stars!

Rydan is the brother who has been keeping to himself ever since they arrived on Nightfall. He secludes himself from the rest for reasons only he knows and they are finally explained in his book. The self-imposed isolation is not of his free will. He has to because he can't be around others too long without their emotions causing him excruciating pain. That is why he lives at night and sleeps during the day. That way he's least likely to come into contact with others.

After Rora and Ama
July
The story of Rydan the sixth son of Destiny. This story brings together the rest of the books for me. Rydan was just a little strange to me, I thought he was OCD or slightly Autistic, because he didn't want to be touched. Well the truth finally comes outs about him now. Amara's twin sister Rora makes her way into Rydan's lair through his wards while he is sleeping. She see's he is dreaming and he pulls her down into the bed with him. Rora gets her first kiss and then some. When Rydan wakes he fr ...more
Donna
This is a series I started reading years ago then kinda lost track of. When I saw this book it reminded me how much I had enjoyed reading the others in the series and decided to pick up where I had left off. Now that I have once again been in nightfall I am definitely going to finish this series. This story takes place at the same time as The Cat but from a different prospective.
( Rydans Twin's) I Liked this book very much. Rydan is an interesting character, he tends to be a loner keeping away
Aurian Booklover
Something is wrong with Rydan, the sixth born brother, and one of the strongest mages in the whole of Katan. Ever since puberty hit him, he feels pain when amongst other people, making him shun them, and start living in the night, when most other people are asleep. His brothers have accepted his strange ways a long time ago, but Saber, the oldest, demands that he joins them for breakfast and supper each day, to be at least a bit social and they know that he is alright. Rydan does not know what i ...more
Kathy
Cam
Way better than the Cat. Glad I read this first.
Melissa Levine
The first 1/3 of the book involved me mainly just skimming through. I get the last book was Amaras version of what happened prior to meeting everyone on the island but still. You'd think considering she was with Arora, who is now telling her story, that the author could have changed things around some. Having to read conversations, minor unimportant ones that were in the last book, hence repeated, was so boring. But I did end up liking things once they progressed between Arora and Rydan.
Lady Lioness
Best book since The Master. It runs co-currently with The Cat so Johnson throttled back on the info dumps. For me, Rora was a much more relate-able heroine and Ryden was a perfect complement for her. The series arc was also advanced and this book was a little more action-y than The Cat. So far, I would recommend The Sword, The Master, The Song, and The Storm out of the six books in this series. Moving on now to re-read The Flame!
Teresa
I actually thought this was the best of her books, but then again, I read The Cat and The Storm on the same day. It made this book flow very well, and enhanced the interest for me, because I knew both books were simultaneous.

I found the heroine's visual capabilities to be very interesting, and very original in some respects. I found the hero's "innocence" of his condition a little disturbing, but otherwise thought the story was awesome.
Mrsku
NOW we're talking! Finally the story line is heating up a bit and I'm not talking about the ho hum sex scenes. To be fair I knew it was coming (no pun intended) because Rydan, the character for this book, has been so mysterious throughout. It's the only reason why I continued this series. Parts of his story were very touching and showed real psychological understanding on the authors behalf.

Well done, can't wait for the other 2 now.
Stasha
Arora is now my favorite heroine in the series and Rydan my favorite brother. What a great explanation for why Rydan is so prickly - again the back story is more important than the current love story. I also loved the way Morg's character is being developed and the twist that brings Flame's love to the island.
The writing is still pedantic and more in the juvenile vein but the development of the independent nation is quite interesting.
Patrice
It was interesting to see the hinted at segments from the previous book as this one takes place simultaneously. Also this one had different interpretations of the same scenes. It does continue further past the end of the last book, thus advancing the plot some. Like book five, there isn't nearly as much graphic sex as the earlier ones, for which I commend the author as it allows for more actual plot.
Andeanna
As always Jean has created a very unique metaphysical romance, with very unusual difficulties. I say read it. The Storm IS set concurrent in Nightfall days with 'The Cat'. Not a problem, as each books main characters' points-of-view are strictly held to creating very different stories.

Now I only have the first book in the series to read to learn the complete Sons of Destiny story.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Rydan is my favourite brother. I think it's because he so dark and gothic. He'd be emo if he was here on Earth. I like his secret and he's a troubled guy. I'm glad he meets up with Rora, Amara's sister. This was a sweet and painful pairing. Another nicely done romance. I also liked how much Nightfall has grown. I love these stories where people build a home from nothing. Very appealing.
Kimberly
I really enjoyed this book. Some parts are a little repetitive due to the story overlapping with "The Cat", but I just skimmed those parts and focused on the "new" perspective parts. I was really looking forward to Rydan's destiny part of this series and it did not disappoint. I really like the storyline of this series and am enjoying them for much more then just the romance.
Shannon
These books crack me up. The story is good, but the writing is kind of terrible. It's another case of I can't seem to put it down. I read the previous books around 3 years ago, but luckily there is a lot of recapping that happens throughout the book. It helps that this story runs concurrent with the book directly before it so I didn't really miss too much.
Brittany
Okay, I am giving this book a 3 really for just one reason. I really dislike books that repeat scenes even if it is from a different perspective I just hate re-reading something that has happened. I would rather be introduced to something completely new. Once, you get past all the repeating info the story was really quite good. 6 down 2 more to go!
Stacie
This is a continuation of the Sons of Destiny story. I like the story and the way the plot concentrated more on the main characters. This is the story of Rydan and Rora. Rora is able to see what torments Rydan even though his family does not. But Rydan is afraid to become close to her because of the prediction in the family verses.
  • Heart Dance (Celta's Heartmates, #6)
  • Double Enchantment (Relics of Merlin, #2)
  • Atlantis Awakening (Warriors of Poseidon, #2)
  • Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4)
  • Mine to Take (Matrix of Destiny, #3)
  • The Shattered Sylph (Sylph, #2)
  • Daughter of Fire (Merlin's Legacy, #1)
  • Captive Dreams
  • Elemental Magic (Includes: Moon, #6.5)
  • Secrets of the Highlander (Highlander, #6)
Berkley/Jove Authors Bio

(1)romance author, science fiction author

Jean Johnson currently lives in the Pacific Northwest, has played in the SCA for 25 years, sings a lot, and argues with her cat about territorial rights to her office chair. She loves hearing from her readers, and has a distinct sense of humor. Rig
More about Jean Johnson...

Sons of Destiny (9 books)
  • The Sword (Sons of Destiny, #1)
  • The Wolf (Sons of Destiny, #2)
  • The Master (Sons of Destiny, #3)
  • The Song (Sons of Destiny, #4)
  • The Cat (Sons of Destiny, #5)
  • The Flame (Sons of Destiny, #7)
  • The Mage (Sons of Destiny, #8)
  • Finding Destiny (Sons of Destiny, #9)
A Soldier's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #1) The Sword (Sons of Destiny, #1) An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2) The Wolf (Sons of Destiny, #2) The Cat (Sons of Destiny, #5)