Start by marking “Click: The Magic of Instant Connections” as Want to Read:
Click: The Magic of Instant Connections

Click: The Magic of Instant Connections

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,352 ratings  ·  162 reviews
You know the feeling. You meet someone new—at a party or at work—and you just hit it off. There is an instant sense of camaraderie.

In a word, you “click.”

From the bestselling authors of Sway, Click is a fascinating psychological investigation of the forces behind what makes us click with certain people, or become fully immersed in whatever activity or situation we’re invol
Published June 8th 2010 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Click, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Click

Rebecca
Click was written in the same vein as Malcolm Gladwell's Blink and Outliers. Like Gladwell, the authors assemble empirical evidence to prove our universal capacity for greatness, but they do so with less verve, worse prose, and more cynicism. Their book is part of a growing genre that I consider MBA junk science, the distillation of lite social science into recipes for corporate success.

The authors collect anecdotes about meaningful and successful (and profitable) relationships, and they dissect
Kirao
I agree with the previous reviewer that the book is one of many that are churned out based on trusted Gladwell's formula: breezy writing style and personal anecdotes linked to the results of the science experiments.

Obviously, the formula works and I do not object to using it per se, but the lack of depth and novelty in this one is quite disappointing. A few experiments are discussed but there is hardly a discussion on causality and the ambiguity in the interpretation of their results. Neither t
Oleg Kagan
Though a short book that doesn't bring a whole lot of originality to the table, I was somewhat taken with Click. Yes, some of the anecdotes didn't truly follow and some of the studies and did not seem exactly methodologically sound* but the ideas expressed were worthwhile.

The seven accelerators:

1. Vulnerability ("There's power in vulnerability")
2. Proximity ("A few feet can make a big difference")
3. Resonance ("Resonance begets resonance")
4. Similarity ("Similarity counts; quantity trumps q
Paul
The ability of people to just get along straight away is one of those things that is a mystery that has fascinated psychologists and sociologists for years. Recent research has started to uncover the details behind those moments when we form a lifelong connection to another person. They tell their story through a series on anecdotes and examples and looks at ‘accelerators’ that will enhance these click moments. The seven accelerators are vulnerability, proximity, resonance, similarity, environme ...more
K
Flimsy, but harmless. Outlines ~half dozen factors that can lead to instant, meaningful connections between people, such as proximity, vulnerability, similarity, resonance, etc. About a paragraph's worth of insight and not a totally coherent picture of this "instant connection" phenomenon, but the genial tone and modest interesting-ness of the anecdotes and studies makes it almost pleasant to go through. Feels like it's written for middle managers looking to feel productive in their airport read ...more
Jay
Short book on how people make connections with each other. I liked the way this one started, with two well written examples of two people quickly connecting. From there, the book delved into 7 ways that that kind of quick, long lasting connection is "accelerated" with more examples and research descriptions. This was a descriptive book - it explains these accelerators and describes the research behind coming up with them, but it doesn't really delve into using these in your own life. In fact, on ...more
Derek Neighbors
Ori does it again. This book is simply brilliant. It hits so many of the elements necessary for serendipity. Truly fantastic stuff. This is a must read.
Susan
It was pretty good; but it didn't go far enough. It doesn't research or give information on how to be the person to make relationships click.
Gretchen
Being a sophomore in high school, I am no stranger to the "real world" where no fairytales exist and love at first sight is not commonplace, but after reading Click, I am beginning to change my perception on human relations. From the studies provided in the text, the Brafmans display the powerful connections that two people can have from one encounter. The vocabulary was relatively simple, but it made it easier to attain the message that both authors were trying to send. Although repetitive at p ...more
Orsolya
We have all been in a situation — be it personal or professional — where we immediately ‘click’ with someone or something. Some of us have met a person who instantly feels like a soul mate. Others hear a piece of music and the artist is instantly a favorite. What causes our brains and emotions to feel this instant connection? Can we replicate it? Brother Ori and Rom Brafman explore these questions in, “Click: The Magic of Instant Connections”.

For those who have read “Sway” from the authors; the
Bookworm
Ever have those moments when you "click" with someone? Friendships are relationships are sometimes tough for me, but when I meet someone that I "cilck" with, it usually ends very well.

The Brafman brothers explore those times when total strangers meet for work, at random, etc. and "click." This can lead to deep friendships, romances, and more. They can take many forms. Sometimes it's a chance meeting. In one instance, a person with one name Googled herself to find a man with the exact same name.
Will
This book failed to be either insightful, or educational. It was entertaining, and the stories were engaging. It felt like it had an overall message of (its important when things click) and (ain't it great when things click) and (try to do it yourself...)

It seemed like a book that was aware of it lack of substance, as if its main goal was to be inspirational, and enjoyable, so as to foster positive feedback in sheeple.
Mugen
Although the subject of the book was very interesting I was not satisfied with the way it was dealt with.

Subject: Clicking, those moments when you strongly click with someone around you and then become good friends forever. You can increase your clicks with people consciously.

What I expected:
* Some insight about what is happening at that moment.

* What goes on in us when we feel we are clicking with the other person

* Some simple ways of increasing the clicks that happen. Maybe some suggestions th
Wendy Copley
This is a great book about the magic we sometimes feel when strongly connecting with others and how to bring that to more connections!
Alejandro Ramirez
By Ori and Ron Brafman. A not so good attempt to copy the success of books like 'Blink' or 'Freakonomics'. the authors go for the very same target market, using the same structure of real life examples, and then trying to come up with underlying principles. The examples are entertaining, but there are no eureka moments, no real value beyond the anecdotal.

Their 'discoveries' are along the lines of: "if you spend a lot of time with someone, like a co-worker, you are more like to establish a friend
Julie
I very much enjoyed the Brafmans' first book, Sway, which described the irrational forces that guide our daily behaviors. So I was very much looking forward to their latest book, Click, subtitled "The magic of instant connections," and thankfully it didn't disappoint. We've all had those instant connections: love at first sight, a new friend you can talk to as though you've known each other your whole lives, a business connection who takes your game to the next level. The Brafman brothers argue ...more
Izlinda
A lot of the reviews I skimmed over said it was written in a style like Gladwell's Blink and Outliers. Never read those. But I can see how some of them wouldn't like the style of Click and see it as soft pseudo-science/pseudo-psychology or something. It's not written in a tough hard-core APA/psychologist style.

While reading the book I did wonder how they would cite their sources, because there were no foot- or end-notes. Their style was different; they had a section in the back, a chapter names
Efox
This book was purchased as an audio book for a recent road trip. I found it totally fascinating. Rom Brafman and Ori Brafman are back. I did enjoy Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior and was looking forward to learning more about our brains and human behavior. This book focuses on what the thing is that makes two people click - that magical moment when your relationship flows and things just work.

There were great stories and examples about people who clicked - in business, person
Noah
I wanted to get a book out of the library, but I didn't have anything in particular in mind. I wandered around the shelves hoping that I would know it when I saw it. I was about to give up and then Click!

I love the experience of clicking. I've clicked with all of the people I've had serious relationships with. I tend to think of it in that context, so that was one thing that was interesting to me to learn about in this book--people clicking on a professional level.

Honestly all I wanted from the
Kendra
The ability to connect with so many different people is one part of my job as a librarian that I love. Sometimes, however, those connections are very powerful and extraordinary. You know when you are interacting with the other person that things are just – “clicking”. Whether it is with a total stranger, or a coworker as we work on a project, or a loved one, that sensation of connecting is almost magical. When you are clicking with another person you are able to bounce ideas back and forth witho ...more
Deb
*Magically clickable*

Have you ever felt that magic when you just instantly click with someone? Although it's hard to find the words and explanations for this intense connection, the brother-author team do a remarkable job in demystifying just what makes us click. It may seem as if clicking (or not) with someone is largely a matter of luck or chance, but it turns out there are factors we can optimize to accelerate the clickage, including vulnerability, proximity, resonance, and place.

And, talk a
Henrik Berglund Berglund
I picked this up at the airport, because I recognized the Brafman brothers names and because it was a short read, < 200 pages.

Being interested in teams and how to facilitate creating awesome teams, I knew most of what was in this book already. I feel I had lot of takeaway anyway, such as some new nice stories and reading about some more experiments. For sure also deepened my understanding by adding some more views on things and giving me a chance to reflect.

Special likes
- Part about levels of
Bernie
I read this book during travel to visit my daughter in NYC. At first I didn't really like it all that well.... kinda dry. But I liked how they did a review outline at the end of each chapter. This helped me to build on the knowledge as each chapter went by. I'd quickly re-leaf through the chapter and then go to the next. At the end, you had an entire outline to review. This helped the book, pardon the pun, to click. One thing about the book is that it didn't really present much information that ...more
Taka
Interesting and Disappointing--

The book covers seven "accelerators" that may or may not help you to have what the authors choose to call "the magical moment of clicking with someone." The premise of the book - how people click with each other - is fascinating and its promise - of learning the elements to click - almost irresistible.

Alas, the authors fail to deliver on both accounts.

They go over 7 factors that are supposedly present when we click with someone, but they unfortunately do not - int
Beth
I read about 50 pages of this nonfiction book about why some relationships are easy from the start, because of factors like proximity and pheremones. It reminded me a lot of a Malcolm Gladwell book, combining anecdotes with reports on research, delving into science and psychology, and deliberately structuring and balancing the elements of storytelling and facts to hook the reader. Where Gladwell is successful, the Brafmans fall a bit flat, for me; and I can't quite put my finger on why. I didn't ...more
Amal Shoeib
I am usually gravitated towards books that tackles the issue of vulnerability. That explains to a large ex tent why Brené brown is my favorite psychologist! It's all about self-disclosure and being candid in exposing yourself to another person to make it click between both of you. I really enjoyed reading this and it answered questions I asked myself too often like how can I be that close to a person I just met and not that close to a colleague that I knew for like 5 years. Interesting book!
Dustin
This book provides real world examples of how people or ideas just "click." I listened to it as an audiobook and felt it was perfect for listening. The book has enough stories to keep the listener engaged and looking forward to hearing more. Also, it covers topics for just about everyone -- sports, science, romance, and others. The psychological aspect of the book was the most meaningful part for me. I recommend reading it to those interested in learning more about how the human brain works.
John
Have you ever met someone and immediately “clicked” with them? How did that make you feel? Brothers Ori & Rom Brafman describe this as “quick-set intimacy” - and they say we can increase the number of these connections we experience with others. They say there are benefits to “clicking” with people. First, clicking brings about a unique, almost euphoric state, one that we describe as “magical.” Second, it permanently alters the fundamental nature of the relationship. Last and least recognize ...more
Angela
What is it that makes us "click" with another person? What is it that makes a person instantly likable? Relatable? This short volume seeks to answer those questions and provide a sort of "tutorial" on how to connect with other people. While it didn't say much that I didn't already know on some level, it was interesting to read about actual scientific studies regarding human interaction and relationships.
Wellington

The book tries to figure out why and/or how people "click". But something just didn't click. Many people describe this as a Gladwell-like book. Maybe more described a Gladwell-light book. Reading Gladwell, I feel like I'm onto something. Reading Brafman ... I feel like something is just beyond the corner of my eye.

I really do wish they spent more time on the hostage negotiator ... who I felt had the most fascinating story.

I do think the authors missed an important part of clicking .. the person
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Choke: What the Secrets of the Brain Reveal About Getting It Right When You Have To
  • Decoding Love: Why It Takes Twelve Frogs to Find a Prince, and Other Revelations from the Science of Attraction
  • Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change
  • The Age of Empathy: Nature's Lessons for a Kinder Society
  • Willful Blindness: Why We Ignore the Obvious at Our Peril
  • The Likeability Factor: How to Boost Your L-Factor and Achieve Your Life's Dreams
  • Uncertainty: Turning Fear and Doubt into Fuel for Brilliance
  • The Maker Movement Manifesto: Rules for Innovation in the New World of Crafters, Hackers, and Tinkerers
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • How Pleasure Works: The New Science of Why We Like What We Like
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Confidence: How Winning Streaks and Losing Streaks Begin and End
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations The Chaos Imperative: How Chance and Disruption Increase Innovation, Effectiveness, and Success Quem está no comando? La necesidad del caos

“We tend to match the emotions of those around us. For example, we’re more prone to become stressed when we’re around someone who is high-strung. And we’re more likely to be in a good mood when others around us are laughing.” 2 likes
“about itself: “There are times” 0 likes