Start by marking “The Urantia Book: Revealing the Mysteries of God, the Universe, World History, Jesus and Ourselves” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  630 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
You have just discovered the literary masterpiece that answers your questions about God, life in the inhabited universe, the history and future of this world, and the life of Jesus. The Urantia Book harmonizes history, science, and religion into a philosophy of living that brings new meaning and hope into your life. If you are searching for answers, read The Urantia Book!

T
Paperback, 2097 pages
Published June 1st 2008 by Urantia Foundation (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Urantia Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Urantia Book

Heidi
Sep 18, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About the Urantia Book
Posted on GoodReads September 18, 2009

This is my favorite book. I have been reading it, on and off, since 1972. It is the most complete, informative, reassuring, stimulating, mind-blowing, and inspiring book I have ever read. This book becomes a best friend that you always want near at hand. I have read it cover to cover a couple of times, and I have read sections over and over. I always interpret it in new ways, gaining new insights with every read. The Urantia Book has be
Lisa Withrow
Sep 24, 2011 Lisa Withrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom was in a Urantia study group, at her church, in the '70s. I read some of it then, at 14 I asked her, "You do realize this book says we evolve from aliens don't you?"

I found it after she died, while cleaning out her house, and read it cover to cover. I loved the margin notes and highlghts she had left. It is an amazing read. My favorite sections are the history of Earth (Urantia) and the intricate story behind the 20+ years of Jesus' life not covered in the New Testament.

Long story shor
Mitchell Tsai
Oct 18, 2012 Mitchell Tsai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saved my life. Main reason I didn't suicide in 1986 at the beginning of a 12-yr suicidal depression 1986-98, and one of the main reasons I became spiritual after growing up in an atheistic/agnostic family.

Almost completed replaced other cosmologies in my beliefs (Caveat: My early training as a mathematician & scientist...means that I hold many inconsistent views of reality simultaneously). Overall, I have a 99+% belief in this not-channelled, but esoteric work.

It's one of the VERY RARE books
Michael Westbrook
100:4.4 "In physical life the senses tell of the existence of things; mind discovers the reality of meanings; but the spiritual experience reveals to the individual the true values of life. These high levels of human living are attained in the supreme love of God and in the unselfish love of man. If you love your fellow men, you must have discovered their values. Jesus loved men so much because he placed such a high value upon them. You can best discover values in your associates by discovering ...more
Grayson
Apr 10, 2008 Grayson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this book is not for everyone. It deals with the creation of our universe, the history of man, energy, time, space, and the reason for the fabric of our existence. I feel this book is way ahead of it's time. Now many of the ideas presented in this book contradict Christianity and virtually all dogma in some form or another. This book is very long and I will be reading it for many years to come.

The contents of this book came to be through "channeling." For those of you who don't kno
W.C.
Aug 18, 2007 W.C. rated it really liked it
Frightening. So you've got this book mostly written in the 30s by a bunch of freaky weirdies. And it says some awesome stuff like "And God spoke and said the proton is one thousand times the mass of an electron" and other totally out-of-nowhere-ness. Most people focus on the overwhelming cosmology at the beginning of the book, or the biography of Christ at the end; both those sections just drag after a while and don't have much to add. I got into the middle sections, the philosophical/scientific ...more
Mark Branham
Jun 16, 2009 Mark Branham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know how fortunate I am to have been relatively free of so-called religious "stuff" when I came upon this book back in 1980. I count this freedom from dogma as the main reason I was able to read this book and judge it on its own. It has certainly changed my life, and will do the same for anyone who assimilates this book into their own life. While you must do your own work and make your own progress, the rewards are infinite. Too many people will come to this with preconceived notions of what r ...more
Mikey
Depending on ones point of view it either:
1)imaginatively expands on the broader aspects of possible reality throughout the Universes of Universes and the history of earth from a religious/scientific worldview
2)Corrects many of the false beliefs regarding G_d, history, religion and politics, science etc. and especially focuses on correcting the beliefs about Jesus, his life, his mission, the purpose of it all with regard to salvation and the true religion that Jesus intended his followers to h
J.Z. Murdock
Feb 02, 2012 J.Z. Murdock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had this book for decades before I learned much about where it came from. It is an amazing book to read just to wonder about it's validity or origins. Then I found out its origins.

From a functional point of view, there is not much in this book to elevate you spiritually. I doesn't have the answer. But that being said, to each their own and you have to make up your own mind.

However, to read it from the beginning, can do things to your mind. People tend to browse this book and discount its use
78speed
Mar 23, 2008 78speed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down the most amazing, powerful, transforming and enlightening book on the planet. That this is not the most lightweight read would be an understatement. If you get into this book, you'll be reading it for life, and the more you read the more amazing the whole picture becomes. And once the significance of the book itself (a one-of-a-kind epochal revelation) is grasped, one's perspective of this crazy backward planet earth in time and space, will be changed forever.
Rachaelbg Bertos Haviland
Read this cover to cover about 10 years ago. Hmmmm. Found it very interesting, had some strange dreams while reading it, don't really know how to rate it, or review it. All I can say is I would love to be in a room with the group of people who wrote this book, have a drink, and a long conversation.....
Stephen Beam
Feb 15, 2012 Stephen Beam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Urantia Book is the only book I've read over and over again, each reading more amazing than the last.

I'm not going to attempt to describe the contents - it is in the public domain - grab a copy and become a citizen of the universe of universes.
T-Tèche
Jan 24, 2014 T-Tèche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me just say that I had to read and re-read these pages because of the content. So intense and prolific. I felt, at times, that this book came from a higher source. I recommend this book to everyone, definitely a must-read.
Nyoman Kiavano
Feb 29, 2008 Nyoman Kiavano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
You want to be enlightened? Read this wonderful yet very difficult to comprehend book. But beware, because all the information that contained in this book will blow your mind into a state that you will never imagined!
Sekhemetshathor
Jun 22, 2009 Sekhemetshathor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

For the week starting Sunday, June 21st:

June 21

The intellectual earmark of religion is certainty; the philosophical characteristic is consistency; the social fruits are love and service. [The Urantia Book, p. 1126, par. 5:]

June 22

Many who are inwardly sure about God fear to assert such feelings of certainty because of the multiplicity and cleverness of those who assemble objections and magnify difficulties about believing in God. [The Urantia Book, p. 1126, par. 6:]

June 23

It requires no great de
A-bookworm
Mar 13, 2015 A-bookworm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, let me say I have NOT finished this book, which I know is wimpy since it's only 2,132 pages, pages thinner than onion skin. But I would like to meet the person who can sit down and read this from cover to cover w/o having to take long breaks, because this book is a mind bender. Whether you are a staunch believer in any religion or a total atheist, if you delve deep enough into this book it will leave you thoroughly rattled.

Secondly, let me say this has been well reviewed under a shor
Sverre
I thought that a detailed critique, on a rational level, should be presented for such a major “revelatory” religious work but this will be short and to the point. I studied the Urantia Book (UB) in the 80s and for a brief time it impressed me to the point where I felt it had much to offer and should indeed be regarded as worthy of serious consideration to help guide mankind towards a better spiritual and social existence. The UB has many admirers but it has largely been ignored by academics, the ...more
Edd Knowles
Stephen Simpson
A very difficult book to review/summarize. On one hand, it's a batcrap-crazy collection of pseudoscience, pseudohistory, and pseduoanthropology. As a religious/spiritual work, it's not any worse than the core works of many religions that boast millions of members today and are generally regarded as "real" religions, and there are some pretty insightful passages and concepts within.

At a minimum, it presents an interesting and engaging cosmology, so even those who utterly reject the religious/spir
Comelibros
Un libro que carece de realidad; no tiene autor y además habla del universo de super-universos sin tener ninguna base científica. Habra que preguntarse que opinan los cientificos, austronomos, etc. Otra cosas como la formación de la tierra y sus siete razas. Dudoso planteamiento; pero mi mayor decepción es que después de haber leído “La rebelión de lucifer” y “Los caballos de Troya” de Juan José Benítez; me diera cuenta que la mayor parte de estos libros son casi una copia del libro de “Libro de ...more
Brother Dave Jesusonian
Oct 13, 2015 Brother Dave Jesusonian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Truth-seekers, Theologians, Ministers
Recommended to Brother Dave by: a co-worker in Nov 1975
This is my most perused book for nearly 40 years to date. I still read and share some selections everyday. This is a very advanced, complex, 2097 page book which few mortals will want to initially peruse cover-cover. So, I suggest you look at http://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-s... and start reading at any place of interest or of your expertise. This Fifth Epochal Revelation of Truth was indited into English by supernal beings circa year 1935, and given to help advance all peoples and religions ...more
Aaron Schiffer
I've had the distinct pleasure of having one branch of my group of friends, actually believe this and form book study groups around it. So fun. But so reminiscent of Christianity and its Bible studies, it makes one shudder. The third part is where it really gets going, elaborating on the history of the universe and of man, and the fourth part about Jesus is pretty in depth. Just don't drink the Kool-Aid and it's fine. The fact that it IS Kool-Aid for some people is scary though.
Owlseyes
May 24, 2015 Owlseyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who dictated this Cosmological, Philosophical,Religious.... sort of compendium to W. Sadler is still a mystery.

Mind-boggling,yet worth-pondering.Some aspects of science approached are too advanced for the time it was dictated (from mid 1920's till 1950).
Kristen Johansen
Nov 01, 2014 Kristen Johansen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Paper 64 is very telling.....eugenics are definitely not a good thing and Europeans are not better stock because they did not stay in Africa to breed with the "lesser stock". Also, the book is absolutely loaded with 3-dollar words that often could have very easily used simplified alternatives. My gut rejects this as tripe no matter where it came from.
Paunch
Feb 12, 2016 Paunch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with deep, gut wrenching questions about what life is really about.
And I thought I knew God... Ha! It all makes perfect sense now :)

My first cover to cover read, couldn't turn the pages fast enough. The process, meaning and inevitability of creation opened up like a thousand petaled lotus greeting the morning sun. As the universe got bigger, I became more humbled... and filled with a gratitude beyond compare.

4:4.9 Even if I cannot do this, there lives in me one who can and will do it. A part of the Father-Absolute of the universe of universes.

Gratitude!
Krishna
Sep 16, 2015 Krishna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-must-read
When I was 10 I was seriously doubting God's existence. I had read parts of Genesis and couldn't believe it (I knew a thing or two about geology). So I asked my dad, "If I don't believe in the bible, does that mean I don't believe in God?" My dad basically said that the two did not go hand in hand, I could believe in God and not in the bible. But also, many don't believe that the bible is literal, it is full of stories (and really they were written for the unscientific minds of people 2000 years ...more
Revella Notvanella
Another I will be reading and reading for some time--I don't get caught up in the 'Is it true, if

its true, or how its true' all that, for a Spiritualist, its one of the most resourceful books I've

found. Doesn't feel like blasphemy reading it or doubting certain parts and discarding others, its

still that useful. My favorite parts:

Gods Relation to the Individual

The Local Universe Mother Spirit

Energy, Mind and Matter

48-54,The Morontia Life (Makes me feel like an Amoeba, lol, but hell thats why its
Brandon
Dec 30, 2014 Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great for opening up world views. Took me years to read the book and I'm sure I missed at least 10 papers. This is a fountain of thought provoking ideas and spiritual concepts. If all religion adopted the mantra of "do no harm" it might look a lot more like this than the way it looks now. Human religion needs some kind of fusion with higher spiritual concept if it is to survive this century.
Yaaresse
I haven't bothered to write anything about most of the stuff on my pre-2005 read shelf because it was a long time ago and memory fades, but this is one of those books that is kind of embarrassing to have on a list without some kind of explanation.

So here it goes: It was the 80s. I was in college. I had a lot of friends who were trying to find something to believe in...as I was. We read a lot of really insane crap. It can be argued (maybe) that this was not more bat-shit crazy than some other st
Adrian Nieto
May 18, 2012 Adrian Nieto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El libro de Urantia.
Mas de 2000 paginas lo hacen un libro complicado de leer, mucha informacion, muchos temas que trata, y en general es ficcion bastante bien diseñada, ideas muy alocadas para la epoca en la que fue hecho, y un concepto de Jesus, Dios y la creacion que lleva bastante tiempo en ser digerido, comprendido, y disfrutado.

Conforme lo lei, me di cuenta que la mayor parte de los libros de Caballo de Troya, de J.J. Benitez, son adaptaciones (a veces incluso transcripciones) de los que
urantia 5 32 Sep 19, 2014 03:13PM
  • The Ra Material: An Ancient Astronaut Speaks
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • Marx and Satan
  • Neopagan Rites: A Guide to Creating Public Rituals That Work
  • Initiation
  • Vacation
  • Angels, Demons & Gods of the New Millenium: Musings on Modern Magick
  • The Threat: The Secret Agenda What the Aliens Really Want and How They Plan to Get It
  • Vaccine A: The Covert Government Experiment That's Killing Our Soldiers--and Why GI's Are Only the First Victims
  • Political Ponerology
  • The Book of Knowledge: The Keys of Enoch
  • Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons
  • The C.I.A. Doctors: Human Rights Violations by American Psychiatrists
  • Nephilim Stargates: The Year 2012 and the Return of the Watchers
  • The Hidden History of the Human Race - The condensed edition of Forbidden Archeology
  • Self-Knowledge for Spiritual Awakening
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • Our Haunted Planet
Urantia Foundation was established in 1950 to be the custodian of the inviolate text of The Urantia Book and to ensure that the book's teachings are spread, with the help of readers and fraternal organizations, to all people. This site is provided as a service to the community of Urantia Book readers and in no way implies responsibility for any individual, religious group, or social organization.

U
More about Urantia Foundation...

“Man might fear a great God, but he trusts and loves only a good God.” 0 likes
“Man does not have to go farther than his own inner experience of the soul’s contemplation of this spiritual-reality presence to find God and attempt communion with him.” 0 likes