Start by marking “Cioccolato amaro” as Want to Read:
Cioccolato amaro

Cioccolato amaro

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  690 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Haiti, 1985. A diciassette anni, tutto ciò che Laure St Lazâre desidera è fuggire lontano dall'atmosfera soffocante della casa di famiglia. Dopo essere stata abbandonata a soli due anni da sua madre, l'affascinante e impulsiva Belle, è difficile per lei vivere con una nonna severa e intransigente con cui non è possibile alcun dialogo.
Per fortuna c'è Améline, l'unica vera a
Paperback, Omnibus, 624 pages
Published 2008 by Mondadori

To ask other readers questions about Cioccolato amaro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cioccolato amaro

Cora Linn
Another perfectly indulgent offering from Lesley Lokko. This would suit perfectly well as a New Adult and when I classify books as New Adult it's Lesley Lokko's work I generally use as a guide.

If you need something to get invested in, something to make you think, something to make you feel every emotion under the sun and something to stay in your head, then look no further.

Bitter Chocolate reminded me a little of Sundowners. They have some similar elements such as the different lives and people
Jayme
This was an accidental read - I mistook it for another book of the same title. Imagine my surprise when I opened a book I supposed to be about fair trade chocolate and instead found myself reading a novel! I read a few chapters and was unimpressed, but for some reason I pressed on. The book is 500 pages so I wasn't sure if I would actually finish it.

A few more chapters in, though, I fell in love with the main characters. The novel explores the interconnected lives of three women. Laure and Ameli
Keris
Previous Trashionista editors Gemma and Jenni loved Lesley Lokko's first two books, Sundowners and Saffron Skies, so I was keen to read her third, Bitter Chocolate, although slightly concerned because it's over 500 pages long!

Spanning decades and continents, it's the story of three women: Ameline, Laure and Melanie. Laure and Ameline have grown up together in Haiti, while Melanie was raised in London, the financially spoiled but emotionally neglected daughter of an aging rock star.

Ameline was ta
Roberta
Ambientato ad Haiti, negli Stati Uniti, in Europa e in Africa dagli anni Ottanta fino a praticamente i giorni nostri, Cioccolato amaro racconta le vicissitudini di tre ragazze: Laure, Ameline e Melanie. Laure è la rampolla di una ricca famiglia di Haiti decaduta economicamente e anche un po' in disgrazia a livello sociale. Laure è infatti il risultato della relazione della madre, Belle, con uno stalliere di colore molto scuro, una grande onta ad Haiti. Belle ora vive in America a Chicago e Laure ...more
Bankz Banks
This book was too good to put down! As soon as I started, I couldn't believe how the stories picked up. I found myself almost emotionally tied to the "characters". I didn't find myself confused at all as I was able to follow the flow closely. Definitely a good read (no pun intended) for anyone who loves constant drama - fictional wise.
Irene Quinn-hawtin
Three stories of three women. It would have worked better if the Author stayed with just one story. There was enough in the book to achieve this end. Or just stay with Laure and Ameline. Melanie could have been a totally different book. The stories of these women were twists and turns at many opportunities. At times I had to really concentrate on who was who. Most of the book was meaty and strong. Yet parts were weak and trivial. However, I was still drawn to continue reading, so there was alwa ...more
Helene
Great read. Was recommended by a friend and was difficult to find but this author writes with a style I enjoy and has well developed characters. A story about 3 young women with formidable challenges in different parts of the world, primarily centred around Haiti and the UK. Topical considering the recent disaster and Haiti and quite an intimate look at the social structure/class system in parts of the country. Will look for other books by this author.
Serena!
Questo libro mi ha completamente spiazzato e preso contropiede per due motivi:
a) Il libro ha 630 pagine. Ero CONVINTISSIMA che le pagine fossero poco più di trecento! Infatti mi era presa la crisi depressiva, perché non vedevo la fine e credevo di essere io il problema.. :DD Poi ho indagato più a fondo, e scoperto che il libro era semplicemente lungo il doppio. Sono contenta del mio 'errore'.. Non penso lo avrei mai iniziato, sapendo quante pagine aveva! (Lo so, lo so, non è un bel modo di valut
Deanna L
It's an interesting story of three different women and how their lives develop. the interesting part about Haiti and Baby doc could have been explored better than just a lucky escape. Most Haitians couldn't escape. the story of the rock-star's daughter Melanie - quite superfluous and shallow. I think the author wants to illustrate that sometimes having everything is a curse in disguise because nothing makes you happy but still, I can't help but think it doesn't fit as nicely as the Laure/Amelie ...more
Laura Flanagan (Oscuro y Seductor Romance)
Rebecca
Another sweeping epic from the same author as Saffron Skies. Unlike that book, Chocolate was only about one person from her start as a poor helpless women to her rise to the top! As they all are about.

Girl from some island in the Caribbean where they only speak French gets pregnant and her posh grandmother sends her to live with her whore of a mother in Chicago. Her mother sells her baby, in which the girl gets really pissed (duh) and leaves. Hardship after hardship ensues. It gets a little blah
Perry Whitford
Two rich, idle young women, abandoned by glamourous, thoughtless parents search for love and self-respect across three continents in Lokko's jet-setting "blockbuster" of a novel.
Laure St Lazare is the 16 year old daughter of a runaway mother, she lives with her widowed, loveless grandmother in a rambling mansion in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Despite her good family, she has dark, "bitter chocolate" skin, which is undesirable in her native land.
Melanie Miller is the 18 year old daughter of a rock s
Tracy Terry
Incorporating what is essentially three stories into the one book, Bitter Chocolate just did not work for me. The tale of three young women, Laure, Ameline and, Melanie, in my personal opinion that the author would have been better sticking to the story of one, at a push, two of the characters rather than this somewhat epic tale that just did not flow.

A considerable read of 577 pages, because of the way in which it was written I'd find myself forgetting what had happened to say Ameline by the t
Barbara
I have really enjoyed Lesley Lokko's books and Bitter Chocolate didn't disappoint me. It's a fluffy read, nothing earth shattering but it's got a good story, interesting characters and good writing.

The story follows three characters.

Laure. A young girl from a rich family in Haiti who makes a mistakes that follows her and costs her much throughout her years.

Ameline is a "reste-avec" who is basically a compannion for Laure. When Laure makes the decision she does, it also effects Ameline which send
Chayong
I picked up Lesley Lokko from an esteemed friend's collection. She had a couple of her books and she left this one on her last visit to the Philippines. It took three years before I finally decided to pick it up and leaf through its pages.

My copy's cover had a review promising "A sexy, sophisticated page-turner" from Eve. Well, whoever wrote that review was not lying.

The novel is hopeful, a series of ups and downs that I was not quite sure how it will end until it tapered around the 500th page--
Rebekka Steg
Bitter Chocolate by Lesley Lokko was better than the average chick-lit, and definitely more thought-provoking and inspiring.
However, generally the writing style was rather simple, not in the modern way where everything is simply stated and the reader has to draw his/her own conclusions, but in an annoying "the reader might be so dumb I have to tell him/her absolutely everything - including what to think of the different characters". I felt Lesley Lokko was often talking down to me, and the story
Amanda
This book tells 3 different stories within the one novel.

I didn't finish this book because it did not capture my interest. Even after 50 pages or so it felt as if nothing at all had happened. I believe the problem is the way the book is set out. The three stories are told consecutively and you jump around from story to story with very little notice. This made it very difficult to follow the story and therefore almost impossible to enjoy the story.

I wish the author had decided to tell just one
Ekin Türe
to be honest first 400 pages were pretty amazing and I kept wanted to read it but after a while the relationships started to get very complicated. And they were very easy to predict so last 100 pages I did not have fun as much as I did throughout the book.
Sammy

3 STARS!!

Ok, I admit that maybe I had too high expectations for this novel, as "one scret summer" by the same author, has become one of my favorite books since the first reading.

I really enjoyed this romance, just not as much as the other, I'm sorry.
Alison Underwood
One of the best books I have read in a long time, the only reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5 is that the end came too soon and didn't truly end the story. It's was beautifully written and a joy to read.
Deena Thomson
Aug 08, 2008 Deena Thomson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Deena by: found it on the internet my daughters name is one of the charact
Couldn't put it down but was sadly disappointed with the ending. Made me not like my fav character Laure and I still don't get the point of Melanie's character????? She never changed and she was wasn't very likable. But I liked it enought to go out and order the author's first two books. Regardless of being disappointed with the ending I read it quickly and didn't want to put it down, even when I was on holidays with a group of friends I would disappear and go read. Sat up late with one of those ...more
Stella Branch
This was a great read. About a part of the world that I know nothing about, it was a lush, wordy read. It's about 500 pages long, so plenty to get your teeth into.
Jaclyn Stacey
While I didn't overly love this book I did find myself being drawn to read it. Part of me was just wanting to get it finished. It tells the story of three young women whose lives lap over at some stage with Laure, one of the three who seemed to me to be the main character. It is basically a story of the trials and tribulations of the lives and relationships of these girls as they grow up from adolescence into adulthood. The themes were pretty typical and didn't seem to be treated in any new ligh ...more
Lucy
Very good book, slow starter but once you're through the first few chapters it's really worth it!!'
Amiee
This is my favourite book in the entire world.
I bought it by chance at a second hand store when I was 16, I've always been a book lover & for some reason this book stood out to me, or something drew me to it.
I'll never regret the $5 purchase!
I've read and read and read this book, and lent it to friends, so much so, that the cover writing, blurb and pictures are wearing off.
It such a wonderfully written book that really gets into the lives of some amazing characters.
I just wished the story
Julie
Lesley Lokko is a brilliant storyteller, and this book doesn't disappoint. It's the story of Laure, Ameline and Melanie, and how they all deal with what life throws at them - some of it shocking. All fought back from adversity, Laure in particular and she was the character I had most empathy with - she suffered so many knockbacks and her life took a different path each time. My only criticism of this book was Melanie's story - started off well but drifted a bit with no clear conclusion.
Amy
Lesley Lokko has a fluid writing style, as a reader I didnt get lost in her interchanges of the three main characters and their situations. I really enjoyed this book, once engaged everything else sort of fell away until I finished reading. Lesley Lokkko created fantastic women characters and once I had finished reading I was still thinking about them. The only minor issue is that some of the lesser characters were left undone....I wanted to know what happened to them. Fantstic read.
Lulu's Life
Dereliction... Laure is just 17 years old.. She doesn not have a real family & does not have enough information either so she wants to build her life so badly & sooo deeply in order to have a family.. But, this searching & euthusiasm are creating too much problems on her life..

Firstly , l saw the book & suspected that if l can finish it or not but l read it very quickly and really like the characters, Laure & Ameline.. And, l respected their power to catch the life..
Ragnheiður
I just love this book. I was thinking about it for days after I finished it.
Laure was my favorite character but mostly because I found her story the most interesting, I can't stop thinking about what Daniel did. I loved Améline and how strong she was, and loved the part where she put on make up. I thought it was difficult to like Melanie even though you feel sorry for her. I've read one other book by this author but I prefer this one.
Melanie
Chocolate in the title, the name Melanie as one of the characters, Haiti as one of the backdrops, how could I resist? Like with the reading group, it took me awhile to get into it, and I wasn't sure how the 3 women would al be connected, and if it was just 3 different stories. I won;t spoil it, but it all falls in place. You root for the characters and really want them to do well and overcome everything.
  • The Second Time I Saw You  (Oxford Blue, #2)
  • Watershed (Love Where You Roam #1)
  • Thirty Scary Tales
  • The Bone Garden (Wesley Peterson, #5)
  • Made in Nashville
  • Silencing Sapphire
  • Masked (New World, #2)
  • Gracie (Women & War #1)
  • The Bookshop on the Corner
  • Don't Tell the Groom
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • Closing In
  • Fairy Nuff
  • Last Groom Standing (The Wedding Season, #4)
  • Christmas is Cancelled (Christmas is Cancelled, #1)
  • Blogger Girl
  • French Kissed (International School, #3)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me
206071
LESLEY spent seven years training as an architect but always dreamed of writing a novel. Eight novels (and counting) later, and aside from building her own home in Ghana, she hasn’t looked back. She splits her time between Johannesburg, Accra and London, (although now she’s dreaming of a flat in Edinburgh) and counts the BA lounges at Heathrow amongst her favourite places in the world.
More about Lesley Lokko...
Sundowners Saffron Skies Rich Girl, Poor Girl One Secret Summer A Private Affair

“She would love it. Just as he loved her. He paused for a second, his fingers touching the door handle. He was in love. The realisation came to him quite suddenly.” 4 likes
“It wasn't sealed - she opened the flap. Inside was a cheque for a thousand dollars. Made out to her. From Daniel. It was a colossal slap in the face.” 2 likes