Start by marking “Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)” as Want to Read:
Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)

Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,531 ratings  ·  186 reviews
Aging eccentric James Delacorte asks Charlie the librarian to do an inventory of his rare book collection-but the job goes from tedious to terrifying when James turns up dead. Relying on his cat Diesel to paw around for clues, Charlie has to catch the killer before another victim checks out.
Published May 3rd 2011 by Berkley (first published March 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Classified as Murder, please sign up.

Cathy I don't think so. Diesel, the cat, is a more realistic companion than Koko and Yum Yum. And, in any case, the books are generally more realistic than…moreI don't think so. Diesel, the cat, is a more realistic companion than Koko and Yum Yum. And, in any case, the books are generally more realistic than the Cat Who books (which I loved, btw).

I think it would be worth your time and energy to try the first one.(less)
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson BraunWish You Were Here by Rita Mae BrownThe Cat Who Played Brahms by Lilian Jackson BraunThe Cat Who Knew Shakespeare by Lilian Jackson BraunMurder Past Due by Miranda James
Cozy Cat Mystery Books
7th out of 82 books — 39 voters
The Magic by Rhonda ByrneThe Secret by Rhonda ByrneBefore I Fall by Lauren OliverSon Of Adam - A Wellford Family Series by Matthew AkersThe Giver by Lois Lowry
my preferences
8th out of 16 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Jonathan
I had heard such good things about this series when I picked up the first book, however, I felt I was left down. But that wasn't the case with this book.

This book was marvelous, the characters were great, especially the new ones, I really hope they come back in the next books. The setting was also good, especially the mansion.

The mystery was mediocre, the killer didn't really surprise me, but it was solid.

Overall a good book. I'll look for more in this series.
Monica
The cat is more entertaining than the writing . . .
LORI CASWELL
I just have to say I LOVED THIS BOOK!! as much or more than the last.

Miranda says the Delacorte family "eccentric", I call that an understatement, a few could come right out the same line as members of the Addams Family as they were "creepy, kooky, mysterious and spooky". Their butler really started to remind me of Lurch. These characters were spectacular!!

The author also hits your heart with the relationship of Charlie and his son. I too love the way Diesel relates to Dante, the dog entering h
Lynn
This was a great book and I do love Diesel. If I didn't already have 3 cats and in the midst of procuring a fourth ... I would get a Maine Coon Cat for the ones I have met were awesome. But my predilection for felines aside, this was a great story even without the cat!

Charlie lives in the house he inherited from his favorite aunt. He has lived there since the aunt died which happened shortly after his wife died and this move was one of trying to overcome his grief and move on with his life. In t
C.
Admittedly favouring heroines to male-driven plots, Dean James' pseudonym 'Rebecca James' and protagonist Charlie are positive discoveries. Aiding a connection with a middle-aged widower is the intelligent cat, Diesel as his accomplice and the frequent setting of an archives library. When I like the characters and premise, great stories do the rest to make novels captivating and this title is superior to the first.

I was less dazzled by volume one partly because one must naturally, test and acqua
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
This is the first "books, cats and murder" detective yarn I've ever read. Charlie is a retired librarian who specialises in rare books, and loves his work so much he can't resist volunteering several days a week at the local library. He knows a lot about special editions etc...but he doesn't seem to have a very wide vocabulary, which seems rather odd. I guess imagination can't give a character what the authoress herself doesn't have, when it comes to language and its use. How many times were we ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Once I stopped staring at "Diesel" on the cover of the book, and it did take me a long time, I found myself loving "Classified as Murder" by Miranda James.

What did I love? Well that the title tied into the storyline of the novel so well. It was about a private collection having to be classified. There were murders, of two of the characters I liked so it impacted me more harshly.

Then, there was the introduction and better understanding of the main Character's son, Sean. I enjoyed that the relati
Denise Zendel
In book 2 of the series, Charlie and his Maine coon cat, Diesel, are called to do an inventory of an aging eccentric’s book library. Day two of the job, Charlie arrives to find the man dead in his library. Charlie and Diesel set out to find who killed the man, and are assisted by Charlie’s attorney son who has come home to lick his wounds from some miserable occurrence he refuses to talk about.

There is a lot of good information about books and how to determine if they are real collectibles or fa
Patricia
James Delacourt is a very wealthy octogenarian. He is a fastidious man with impeccable manners, a thirst for knowledge, a talent for business and a spine of steel. A closeted homosexual, Delacourt has sublimated his physical passions into an intellectual passion for collecting rare books. Computer illiterate by choice, he has relied on our protagonist, Charlie Harris, to help him with his research ever since Charlie returned to Athena nearly four years ago.

As an archival and research librarian
Lorraine
The second book in this series, The Cat in the Stacks, was better than the first. Charlie Harris is hired by wealthy James Delacorte, a man in his eighties, to do an inventory of his very valuable rare books collection. Mr. Delacorte fears that some of the books have been stolen, and will pay Charlie $300 an hour (!) to check for discrepancies and missing books. When Charlie returns to work after lunch on his first day, he finds Mr. Delacorte dead at his desk. Again, he is asked to assist the po ...more
Richard Ward
Perhaps slightly better than Book One of the series. The hero, Charlie Harris, is still likable and, maybe, a tiny bit more interesting this time, but still not nearly interesting enough. Once again, he is less like Sherlock Holmes than is a local Deputy Sherrif, whose jurisdiction over the crimes at hand made no sense to me. Charlie's adult son comes to live with him, and if Charlie had been the book's Holmes than perhaps the son might have been the Watson. Still, the son and his dog do their p ...more
Eva
I just can't get into Miranda James' "Cat in the Stacks" cozy mystery series. I suffered through the first book because I paid good money for it. I suffered as much through the second for the same reason. I only need to be told ONCE that Diesel is a Maine Coon and is large. I don't need to be told in every chapter. Please don't insult your readers by assuming we are all either feeble with memory skills or just plain stupid. Cats neither chirp nor warble. Really annoying! And I just hate when an ...more
Lois
The second encounter with amiable rare book librarian Charlie Harris and his glorious Maine Coon cat has an even better quick sketches of memorable characters than his first excellent book.

An elderly patron of the library where Charlie volunteers asks Charlie to help him catalog an extensive collection of rare books. Charlie meets the man's seriously eccentric and dreadful family before the man is murdered. Asked to carry on cataloguing, Charlie eventually unravels whodunnit.

On the home front,
Linda Rawlins
Classified as Murder is the second book of the Cat in the Stacks Series - Charlie and his Maine Coon cat solve another murder, that of his temporary employer who hired him to inventory his rare book collection. I feel the author has nicely advanced the characters bringing back family members and their pets as we find out more of how and why Charlie is living his life as a widower in the home he inherited from his aunt. We also meet Charlie's housekeeper who cares for him as a good aunt would do ...more
Linda
I must say that I usually avoid books with animals that star along with the person but I've heard good things about this series. First of all, the cat acts like a cat in this book for the most part, and not like a super-hero. The series is called Cat in the Stacks. I really enjoyed this book. It's a nice cozy and I learned a lot about first editions of valuable books. The main character, Charlie, is a librarian with a specialty in rare books. In this story an elderly eccentric man, James Delacor ...more
Kat
Jan 20, 2014 Kat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
A nice second installment in the "Cat in the Stacks" series that manages to be fresh and natural-feeling continuation of Charlie's and Diesel's life without falling into a rut. Obviously there is still a murder involved, but the manner, focus, approach, and result are different. Charlie the Librarian's personal life and his involvement with the murder all twine together nicely. My only complaint is that the dialogue between Charlie and his broody son Sean is a little too on-the-nose when they ha ...more
Melanie
May 24, 2014 Melanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Another solid, funny, engaging mystery from Miranda James about a Charlie, a retired cataloger, and his enormous Maine Coon cat, Diesel. Not quite cozy, not quite non-cozy - beautifully-plotted, with an expanding cast of characters and the kind of continuity that only an author who allows her characters to evolve can provide.

In this outing, the body in the library is an old rare-book collector. The suspects are family members whose lack of affection for each other is topped only by the old man'
Ferne
As I was about to write my book review for the first two (2) novels in “A Cat in the Stacks” Mystery I read a question from one reader who asked if the series by Miranda James is merely a “rip-off” of Lilian Braun’s “The Cat Who…” series.

A partial comparison chart would portray...
• Author Lilian Jackson Braun vs. Miranda James (one of the pseudonym names used by author Dean James, a seventh-generation Mississippian that currently works and resides in Houston, TX);
• James Qwilleran (former newspa
Marti
An older gentleman who is a regular patron in a small southern town library makes a request of Charlie Harris, retired librarian. Charlie is also the archivist for a local college and a few months back had assisted in solving a murder mystery in the town. The gentleman, John Delacourt, has his own collection of antique and rare books but he is convinced that one of the many sponging relatives who lives with him has been stealing some of the most valuable of the books. While this job starts out w ...more
Rebecca Wilhelm
I enjoyed it for the most part, but I don't like being treated like an idiot. The author repeats certain details multiple times (like the fact that Diesel is in tune with people's emotions). Show don't tell!
Melodie
2nd book in series and every bit as good or better than the first. Love Diesel!! I'm going to get a Maine coon one of these days!! Good story with a totally weird family!! Recommended!
Michelle
This was a cute cozy. I wasn't terribly shocked by the ending. I am trying to decide whether to continue with this series. I'm not sure I like the main character, Charlie.
Nancy
Just a little cozy mystery. Nothing special but enjoyable to read.
Desiree
I'm loving this series!!! Can't wait to read the next one.
Bridget
I was in the mood for something like this, and it fit the bill. It's the second in the series featuring Charlie Harris, rare book cataloger, and his Maine coon cat, Diesel. When an elderly and wealthy library patron asks Charlie to help with an inventory of his collection, it seems like a great opportunity. James Delacorte is known as a collector with excellent taste. But when Charlie meets the rest of the family, he's not so sure about them. Delacorte fears that someone is stealing from his lib ...more
Maxwell Heath
This was a pretty good book and a definite improvement over the first installment in this series. Charlie got some really good character development, including dealing with a fractured relationship with his son and beginning to realize that it might be time to start dating again. Diesel is just as cute and fun as he was in the previous book, and he continues to make me want to get a Maine Coon someday. The introduction of Charlie's son Sean was interesting and hopefully will lead to some interes ...more
Fred
Classified is the second book in this series by Miranda James(also writes as Dean James). This has joined my list of Favorites Series.

Libarian, Charlie Harris, has returned to Athena, MS where he volunteers at the local library and works at Athena College as cataloger and archivist. In this book Charlie comes to find that his son, who lives in Texas has come for a visit. But Sean doesn't seem to want to share why he has showed up with out warning. Then at the library the next day, aging and ecce
Paula Ratcliffe
Charlie Harris and his beloved Maine Coon Cat Diesel are up to the stacks in murder when a local resident is found poisoned in his library full of rare collection books. It’s up to Charlie and Diesel to sniff out the murderer. Also along for the ride is Charlie’s son Sean. Early on all we know is Sean quit his job and is living with his father. He doesn’t speak about what happened in Texas and Charlie is cautious not to push it too hard. The family Charlie is investigating via the Chief Deputy B ...more
Michelle Randall
So I finished the first book in the series and proceeded to pick up and read, finishing the second book the same night! Yes, that is to say that I loved it!

In this second book in the series, we git to delve more into Charlie, and with the arrival on scene of his son, we find out more about how Charlie's wife's death effected him, his son, and their relationship.

The funny thing is that I found myself liking all the characters in the book this time. I like Charlie, he seems like a gentle man and a
Elektra
Classified as Murder is the follow up to last year’s Murder is Due. Even though it’s part of a series, this is a solid stand alone story. I found it a stronger book, probably because it was less bogged down with character background than Murder is Due.

In typical cozy mystery fashion, life is strolling along merrily until a body drops into the story. From that point on, the pace really picks up as everyone is trying to figure out whodunnit. Charlie Harris is a very down-to-earth, realistic charac
  • Sleight of Paw (Magical Cats, #2)
  • Double-Booked for Death (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)
  • Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery #2)
  • The Lies That Bind (A Bibliophile Mystery, #3)
  • Nine Lives Last Forever (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #2)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)

Cat in the Stacks (6 books)
  • Murder Past Due (Cat in the Stacks, #1)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
  • Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4)
  • The Silence of the Library (Cat in the Stacks, #5)
  • Arsenic and Old Books (Cat in the Stacks, #6)
Murder Past Due (Cat in the Stacks, #1) File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3) Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4) The Silence of the Library (Cat in the Stacks, #5) Bless Her Dead Little Heart (Southern Sisters, #1)