Start by marking “Man O'War” as Want to Read:
Man O'War

Man O'War

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  5,962 ratings  ·  54 reviews
An exciting, moving piece of fiction based on the facts about one of the
greatest horses of all time. The feeling for horses, horse breeding and
training, and horse racing is masterfully handled. Thrilling, highly
recommended."--(starred) "School Library Journal.
Published October 12th 1962 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Man O'War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man O'War

Jinn Nelson
Many of you may not know (and by many I mean probably one) I am a horseracing enthusiast. Man o' War is consequently one of my favorite books, and here's why:

1. It's a book about a horse's life and still manages to be interesting.

Now I'm tired of reviewing, so I'll leave it at that.

I'm a terrible reviewer. Sorry to all of those with expectations of grandeur. Read the book and write me a review. Maybe I'll cut and paste it here.
Wendy
A good fictional account of arguably the best American racehorse ever. I liked Danny and felt his pain at the thought of losing Red, and his joy and wonder at Red's beauty, majesty and ability.

While I much prefer Dorothy Ours' A Legend Like Lightning for the facts of Man o' War's life, this book puts us in emotional touch with Red through the eyes of someone who had actually seen him in person.
Sara
Man O' War by Walter Farley is a fictional biography about a racehorse that raced soon after the end of World War 1. I found the book to be great. When you read a book about a racehorse, and you know that they lose at least one race, the first thing you think of is that the horse lost their first race. In this case, I was actually excited. I found myself asking "Well what race did he lose?" Although I find watching movies about racehorses more entertaining because you can see the race and hear t...more
Feisty Harriet
I really really wanted to love this book, it’s a (fictional) biography of the legendary racehorse Man o’ War, grand-sire of Seabiscuit and one of the most tremendous thoroughbreds of all time. This book–I didn’t realize is was fiction until after I started it–was written by the author of the Black Stallion series; how could he possibly go wrong!? Um, well, he’s no Laura Hillenbrand, that’s for damn sure. The narrator, a young boy who grooms for Man o’ War during his 3 year racehorse career, is o...more
Lynne Page
After reading the official biography of the famous racehorse known as Man O’War, I decided it was about time I went back and read the fictional biography of the horse, written by the famous horse writer, Walter Farley.

You see, back when I was a young kid in love with horses, I was an avid reader of Walter Farley. And when I found out he wrote about a real horse, I was excited to read it. And I loved that book. It changed me, in some way. It made my love of horses seem more real, to read about a...more
Lindsay
I had forgotten about this book, but when I read it has a child, it had a HUGE effect on me as a budding racing fan. I think this book, more than any other, taught me about the historical world of horse racing- crazy since it's actually a work of fiction, but interwoven with a lot of fact. A lovely book and wonderful memories.
Bonnie
Really hard to put a fictional person into a real-life story like this. So many great horse stories (real and fictional) are about a horse and his person (Alec/The Black, Secretariat/Penny Tweedy, Seabiscuit/Red Pollard, and even Man o'War and his long-time groom after he went to stud, Will Harbut) but this fictional groom during Man o' War's racing career just didn't cut it for me. The attachment wasn't there and so many times the POV had to be shifted to the owner or trainer to get a clearer i...more
Natalie
Definitely a children's book, but a good read nonetheless. Sort of a biography, but fictional--which made an interesting balance between history and fantasy.
Leaflet
One of my favourite books about horse-racing.
Zimt
I can't help it, I believe Man O'War is one of the greatest Champions to have ever put his hoofs on the race circuit.
All the better to read an almost real-life Biography of his life.
It is clear from the beginning that Walter Farley is a true fan of Man O'War since you can feel his admiration of this special thoroughbred through the whole book.
And I'm totally jealous that Farley was able to see Man O'War in existens. Hopefully, there will be again a racehorse as signular as Man O'War in this cent...more
Jill
I think you might have to be a horse geek to enjoy this book (oh good, I am). Farley goes into great detail about the day-to-day care of race horses, which would probably get a bit tedious to those who aren't in to it.
I especially liked the descriptions of life in the barn back in the early 1900s. That they went to such great lengths to care for these animals amazes me.

Pretty dry read, though. For insight on the race track, I think Laura Hildebrand's Seabiscuit is much better time spent.
Ali B
I am a huge secretariat fan but now that I have read this book I can't pick which horse I like better. They are both considered the best of all time in my opinion. Anyway to get to the point this is an inspiring book about a groom and his great red horse that grow up together and make it through the hard struggles of the racing world after world war 1. It keep me on the edge of my seat and brought history to me right before my eyes. This is a book you need to read I'm 13 and I adored this book!
Justwinter
Another book I read as a kid. Walter Farley of course wrote all the Black Stallion books as well as several other fictional horse stories.

This is a turn at non-fiction or maybe 'faction' would be a better term. Farley always brings his horses and the characters that surround them to life in engaging and entertaining ways.

I still think Man O' War appeals to all age levels--horse fanatic or not. I'm not an equestrian by any means, but always did adore Farley's stories.
Melody
I hesitate to complain about Farley. It's like complaining because the rain makes you wet while it also makes the crops swell. This one, which I never read as a kid, was interesting but so full of statistics it was dry. I thought it suffered from the lumbering plot device of the slavish groom's POV. I learned a lot about the greatest horse ever, but it hurt to do so.
Esther
I and think most of the book club would probably give it 2.5 stars. It had some interesting facts but the story that was supposed to be the vehicle to tell those facts was not very good.

I'm excited to read a "Kentucky" book since it is about a famous horse. The author also wrote The Black Stallion. This is another new genere or book for our book club.
Christina
I'm about halfway through this for book club and it has been an enjoyable read so far. Not gripping enough to make me neglect my kids, but good enough to keep me away from trashy television in the evenings :) Just about perfect. I have issues, but I'll save those for later.
Tiffany
Farley's Man O' War was one of my favorite childhood books. It was the first book I read so many times that it literally fell to pieces. I would have given the novel five stars in the fourth grade; today, I'll give it four stars for old time's sake.
Ann
Good beginning. Lovely to read about raising a colt from birth. The race days were repetitive and boring- astounding when writing about this greatest of great Thoroughbred race horses. A fiction, made up for the most part. Ultimately disappointing.
Amanda
I read this decades ago when I would read anything and everything about horses, but it still stands out as a wonderful book, especially in contrast to War Horse which I recently read.
Bonnie
I'm not much for re-reading books, but I got hooked on reading thanks to Walter Farley. I don't know how many of his books I read, but I know I read this one about 5 times.
Andreasoldier
read this as young teen, and it was a fav. Of course I was a horse-crazy girl whose granddad was involved with horse racing, so this book could not lose.
Emily Kathleen
I read this book so many times in elementary school that my name and my best friend's name were the only two names on the check out card. I adore this book.
~Leslie~
I was a horse crazy girl and this book was read so many times as a young girl. I can still read it today and enjoy the story of this marvelous horse.
Heather Stanwick
Dec 27, 2007 Heather Stanwick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers under 12
Shelves: horses, pre-age-12
This was probably my favorite of all the Walter Farley books. It was actually about a real horse and I think that's what really drew my interest!
Tami Parrington
As a young adult, found this one of the most moving stories and the precursor to the modern day thoroughbred docudramas.
Sharon
Another entry in my horse-crazy phase. I've always loved stories about horse racing - I guess I like the idea of an equine hero.
Sonja
I give this book 5 stars based on how I remember feeling about it when I read it as a kid. I'm a horse-freak, so that helps.
Eva-Christina
I read this book as a child and perhaps I would not rate it five stars today. However, at that time, it was one of my favourites.
Claire Evans
Walter Farley always writes amazing horse books - and he doesn't fail in this memoir to America's greatest racer.
Shiraz
When all the other girls wanted ponies and fashion fillies...I wanted a race horse and this was my favorite book
Anti-Women? 2 17 Apr 20, 2012 03:16PM
  • Black Gold
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • Ruffian: Burning From the Start
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • The Black Stallion's Shadow (Black Stallion Returns, #1)
  • Smoky the Cow Horse
  • Man o' War: A Legend Like Lightning
  • A Horse Called Wonder (Thoroughbred, #1)
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • Funny Cide: How a Horse, a Trainer, a Jockey, and a Bunch of High School Buddies Took on the
  • The Horse God Built
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th...more
More about Walter Farley...
The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1) The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2) The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4) The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5) Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)