Secrets of Harmony Grove

Secrets of Harmony Grove

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  71 reviews
From the bestselling author of Shadows of Lancaster County comes an exciting new romantic mystery set in Amish country.

Sienna Collins, owner of the Harmony Grove Bed & Breakfast in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, learns that she is under investigation by the federal government for crimes she knows nothing about. A few hours later she finds her ex-boyfriend, Troy, dead,...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Harvest House Publishers

Diane U
When Philadelphia marketing executive Sienna Collins finds herself unemployed, she moves out of her pricey Philadelphia condominium to sleepy Harmony Grove, Pennsylvania. She plans on running the bed-and-breakfast she had bought as an investment in Lancaster County. However, when the manager she lets go is later found murdered on the property, Sienna’s troubles take a serious turn.

A handsome local wishes to befriend her, but can she trust him? And when her ex-boyfriend shows up, wanting to recon...more
Cheryl-Lynn
I enjoyed this book. It's a good, clean mystery. The only reason its not getting a higher rating from me is at times it just moved slow. It's the same problem I've had with one or two other of Clark's stand alone books. If you like knowing what the main character is thinking and seeing a story slowly play out- then it won't bug you. I'm more an action and less thought type. However for good, clean mysteries I can always recommend this author. Her Million Dollar Mysteries are my favorite!!
Lynda
Truly loved this book. Gave it 5 stars despite a couple of minor typo errors I found.

Some wonderful teaching in this book about how to deal with problems or troubles that seem to overwhelm you.

The more a book says to me, the more highlights I do on the Kindle Fire. This book got quite a few.
Quotes:
If you can't pray in your own words, pray in [the] Scriptures.

Give it over to God. He's big enough to handle it for you. He made the moon and the stars.

Acknowledge the anxiety to someone else.

Admitt
Carol
This is a stand alone novel set in Lancaster, Pennsylvania - Amish country. Though the story is not totally about the Amish theirs views and philosphy shapes the story. This is a Christian author and I enjoyed this story of intrigue and secrets and the awful effects of war on people.
Cindy
I was delighted to find this book at the library, since I've loved other books by Mindy Starns Clark--particularly her Million Dollar Mysteries, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

This is essentially a good book, but I have to say I struggled with it a bit--thus only giving it three stars.

This is one of those cases where I have to give part of the blame to my frame of mind, distractions, etc. The book is well-written and has an intriguing plot.

Still, I found it almost confusing at times...there was SO m...more
Title: SECRETS OF HARMONY GROVE
Author: Mindy Starns Clark
Publisher: Harvest House Publishers
October 2010
ISBN: 978-0-7369-2625-6
Genre: Inspirational/Amish/suspense

Sienna Collins’ life was falling down around her ears. She had just landed a huge deal with a firm in Boston, but she reports back to her job to find herself suspended without pay because she is under investigation by the government for crimes she knows nothing about.

When Sienna’s ex-boyfriend calls from Pennsylvania, sounding confused...more
Christy
Readers familiar with Mindy Starns Clark know that she is an incredible writer that can weave an intricate story together in a phenomenal way. Her plots are always complex and her characters believable. It is also very difficult to put down one of her novels because the action is always non-stop.

That said, Secrets of Harmony Grove was a rather complicated story. The plot, while interesting from the word "go," had way too many twists and turns. It was a mystery within a mystery, with a few other...more
Maureen Timerman
Synopsis: Sienna Collins, owner of the Harmony Grove Bed & Breakfast in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, learns that she is under investigation by the federal government for crimes she knows nothing about. A few hours later she finds her ex-boyfriend, Troy, dead, and her life and livelihood begin to spin wildly out of control. She begins to doubt everyone around her, even the handsome detective assigned to the case.

As Sienna tries to clear her name, she is forced to depend on her faith, the w...more
Darla
(Genre:Fiction/mystery/Christian) Sienna owns a bed and breakfast in Amish country in Pennsylvania, but has very little to do with it's daily operations, as she has hired that out to a manager. She works in the advertising business and spends most of her time and efforts on climbing her career ladder. She has recently started a new job with better pay and more exciting opportunities when she is suddenly laid off by her new employers as they discover that Sienna is being investigated by the attor...more
Jodie
Advertising guru Sienna arrives back at her new office only to find that her world has been turned upside down. Her previous boyfriend calls acting strange and raising more red flags. Not being able to sit still, Sienna takes the two hour drive from Philadelphia to Lancaster where her beloved Harmony Grove Bed & Breakfast is. However, when she arrives things only go from bad to worse. The man in charge of the B&B in her absence has been up to no good. Will Sienna be able to figure everyt...more
Camille
Secrets of Harmony Grove by Mindy Starns Clark

Secrets of Harmony Grove by Mindy Starns Clark was the March group read for the Fans of Amish Fiction group on GoodReads. (A group which excitingly now has over 100 members!!)

I finished it in the first couple days of the month, but I held off posting my review so that I wouldn't ruin anything about the book for our other group members who hadn't gotten through it yet.

Let me start off by saying I *REALLY* liked Secrets of Harmony Grove.

Secrets of Harm...more
Sylviastewart1
I was reluctant to start reading this book because it was "another Amish book." Seems like there are so many of those these days, but I bought the book on the recommendation of a friend. I "fell for" the protagonist -- liked her in a big way. Her past tugged at my heart and I could totally understand her panic attacks. (However, I found that at one critical point she would totally fall apart; at an equally crucial point in the story she changed into an aggressor. Seemed a bit inconsistent.)

The "...more
Rachel Brand
I can't believe I've not written a review of this book yet, especially as I read it well over a week ago! I was working on two essay deadlines at the time so this review will be more concise than usual as the book isn't so fresh in my mind.

Overall, I really enjoyed this mystery set in an Amish settlement in PA. I've never read anything from Mindy Starns Clark before but I have enjoyed some Amish romantic suspense from Marta Perry. I'd have to say that I probably prefer Marta as her style is a bi...more
Mayda
If you are searching for a well written, Christian mystery, be sure to pick up a copy of Mindy Starns Clark’s Secrets of Harmony Grove. This novel, set in Pennsylvania near an Amish community, will capture your interest from the very beginning. An advertising executive, basking in her success at a new agency, suddenly finds herself in trouble with the feds, suspended from her job, and in debt with no income. Ms. Clark skillfully weaves a fascinating mystery with religious overtones that complime...more
Julie Malcolm
As a mystery story I'd probably give this book 4 stars. While it wasn't so compelling I couldn't put it down, it did keep my interest right to the end and all the mysteries are revealed in a satisfactory manner.

As a Christian read I felt it was disappointing. Sienna suffered a significant trauma in her youth and as a result felt that God had let her down and that she could only really depend on herself. She never gets past that. Even at the end of the book when she is resolved to renew her relat...more
Desiree Mancuso
This was a good mystery book however it just really drags on. The almost 400 page book is covering only a few days. It is a great book for one who likes very in-depth reading and knowing every detail/conversation between characters.
Rebecca
I found myself thinking about the characters in this book days after I had finished reading it. A sequel could be fun. There are a lot of story lines going on and a lot of "clues." It is fun to try to keep them sorted as you read. It would be nice to have some characters better developed, even the ones I do not like so much.
The lead character has a lot going on that forces her to reconsider her priorities. At times she can set her priorities but at other times circumstances set them for her. S...more
Denise Mcanally
This book is full of suspense and also has some romance parts. It had me wondering all the way through about who was the killer and where the diamonds were located. Great read.
Kav
Incredibly suspenseful. There are layers upon layers of mystery that Clark has cleverly hidden within the text. It kept me on my toes and eagerly turning pages while my mind whirled with all the possibilities but I didn't guess the whodunnit part until Sienna did! Of course, once I knew, I could see all the hints that had been scattered throughout the plot. Hints that both Sienna and I ignored until it was nearly too late. LOL.

Even the romance is filled with suspense, since Clark has crafted two...more
Mark Baker
Sienna's life is turned upside down when she discovers she is under investigation by the Federal government. Then a former boyfriend is found dead on the property of the bed and breakfast he helped her fix up. What is going on?

As always, Mindy provides a fast start and lots of twists and turns. I didn't feel the pace was consistent in this one, but I still raced through it as quickly as I could.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Marta Perry
In Secrets of Harmony Grove, popular author Mindy Starns Clark takes readers on an exciting adventure in the peaceful Amish setting of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Sienna Collins, absentee owner of the Harmony Grove Bed and Breakfast, finds herself caught in a web of mystery and danger when she discovers her former boyfriend murdered and the inn’s manager unconscious. Struggling to clear herself and learn the truth, Sienna must call on all her strength and faith just to survive. Highly recomm...more
Stacy
Another enjoyable book by Mindy Starns Clark. I've enjoyed Whispers of the Bayou and Shadows of Lancaster County and I'd say this one is right in line with those. Good stories, with a bit of an outlandish line of story telling that is fairly enjoyable, and keeps you guessing because it's not so normal and straight-forward. This one as well. It's set in Amish country, but not about the Amish at all. It's as much about the Jews in the Holocaust as it is the Amish. I enjoyed it and look forward to...more
Lynda
Sienna Collins is the owner of an apparently successful bed and breakfast in Amish country while pursuing a high powered advertising career. Sienna discovers she is being investigated by the FBI and sets off the find out why. What follows is a complicated mystery involving illegal animal fighting/betting, money laundering and secrets of a holocaust survivor. Similar to the last book in this series, Sienna is not that likeable a heroine but I was satisfied with the ending as well as learning a lo...more
Melissa
I always enjoy Mindy Starns Clark's books, and this was no exception. The book started off a little slow, but was hard to put down after I got to the meat of the book.

The characters were well developed, but I also had a hard time believing that some of the things happened to the main character given her past.

At any rate, there were great quotes from the book that made me pause and think, and the holocaust weaved through the book added amazing depth to the story. Definitely worth reading!
Lyn
Secrets of Harmony Grove was the third book of Mindy Starns Clark I've read. I've enjoyed each one and have come to anticipate her signature "a mystery within a mystery." Clark always tells a parallel story where the past and present intersect. Clark sets up shop in Amish Pennsylvania and does so well. I enjoyed her setting, her characters and the unfolding mystery AND romance. If you want a good mystery to cozy up to the fire with, Secrets of Harmony Grove will not leave you cold!
Christina
This is the first book I have read by the author. This book was a story of heartbreak, love and finding oneself. All set in a beautiful part of Lancaster, PA.
Sandy Duke
This is the third book I've read by this author. I am really enjoying her writing. Not your typical Amish novel. She throws in quite a bit of mystery, a little history, and in this book some great literary references. Clark is raising the bar for Amish fiction writers! By the way, don't choose this one if you're looking for something to lull you to sleep!
Sue
As a Mennonite, I was sometimes uncomfortable with the improbable--but captivating and not-so-usual--plot. I appreciated descriptors of what/why the Amish value simplicity of lifestyle and view of God/God's will. Definitely not typically-Amish book. I have great interest in the Amish because they are part of my heritage.
Enni
The story in this book wasn't bad and had all the elements to be really good. I think if I couldn't have managed to get in to any of the characters at all I would have enjoyed it but no matter how hard I tried they would not come to live for me and felt very one dimensional to me.
Larissa Langsather
It is summer time reading = quick reads, usually modern or new books that are not deep or academic in any way. I really liked this book. I was sucked into the mystery. I read the book pretty quick for a mom with 3 little kids running around and interrupting.
  • A Stranger's Wish (Amish Farm Trilogy, #1)
  • Abigail's New Hope (Wayne County, #1)
  • Plain Jayne (Plain and Simple, #1)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
  • Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1)
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • The Christmas Singing: A Romance from the Heart of Amish Country
  • Plain Proposal (Daughters of the Promise, #5)
  • Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1)
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio
  • Naomi's Gift: An Amish Christmas Story
  • Murder in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #1)
  • Missing Your Smile (Fields Of Home, #1)
  • Falling to Pieces (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #1)
  • A Stranger's Gift (Women of Pinecraft, #1)
  • The Protector (Families of Honor, #2)
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
A former singer and stand-up comedian, Mindy lives with her husband and two teenage daughters near Valley Forge, PA. She enjoys speaking to churches, civic groups, and libraries across the country. Her unique blend of humor and insight make her an audience favorite.

From the author's website.
More about Mindy Starns Clark...
The Amish Midwife (The Women of Lancaster County, #1) Whispers of the Bayou Shadows of Lancaster County A Penny for Your Thoughts (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #1) The Trouble with Tulip

“Keep me safe, keep me from harm, keep me in your loving arms.” 11 likes
“At least at times of loss, we are reminded of our priorities, of our many blessings. In times of gain, we can so often lose our way.” 11 likes