Start by marking “Stories For Children” as Want to Read:

- The Devoted Friend
- The Happy Prince
- The Remarkable Rocket
- The Young King
Published October 1991 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Stories For Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories For Children

Jeremy
Jan 23, 2016 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it's interesting that when Oscar Wilde wrote for adults, he wrote in a very dry, irreverent manner. But when he wrote for children, he wrote melancholy, reverent works of beauty. I suspect it has something to do with his old witticism:

'If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.'

This is how you have to approach social commentary with adults. But I think with kids you don't have to add that extra buffer zone of wit, because kids can handle the truth.
Graeme Syed
Jan 13, 2014 Graeme Syed rated it it was amazing
Great book! I remember having stories from this book read to me at school and enjoying them thoroughly. Thirty years has changed nothing in terms of my enjoyment both personal and vicarious through my own children. I have now reread all the stories and have introduced some to the classroom. Oscar Wilde has an interesting way of writing. It makes it a bit difficult to read out loud sometimes as the brain is programmed differently to the way Wilde writes. It should be remembered that whilst this n ...more
Jay
Sep 03, 2015 Jay rated it it was amazing
Oscar Wilde's children stories showed me the impact literature could have on people. This book was read to me on numerous occasions by my parents when I was growing up, and I can remember my dad openly crying in front of my sister and I whenever he finished The Selfish Giant or The Happy Prince. To see the impact these stories had on an adult really intrigued and perplexed me as a child, and I think it's the beginning of my love of literature.

Each story is told in Wilde's breath taking, melodio
Diego Anthoons
Aug 30, 2014 Diego Anthoons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Na "The Picture of Dorian Gray" wou ik wel wat meer van Oscar Wilde lezen en ik koos voor dit boek met enkele van zijn kinderverhalen. In deze verhalen toont Wilde opnieuw zijn prachtige stijl, maar wat me vooral opviel is dat de meeste verhalen geen al te vrolijk einde hebben, soms vrij moeilijk zijn voor kinderen en dat er in elk verhaal wel een religieus element aanwezig is. Wilde verweeft in deze verhalen ook verschillende onderwerpen die aan bod komen in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" zoals k ...more
Joy Weese Moll
Feb 27, 2012 Joy Weese Moll rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adult readers looking for an easy introduction to Oscar Wilde
This book contains six of Oscar Wilde’s stories for children, drawn from two separate collections he published when his two sons were small (a fact I learned from Collins Complete Works of Oscar Wilde: Centenary Edition — nothing so boring as biographical data is present in this volume). This is a large format book with pictures of various sizes. Most two page spreads have at least one picture, but there are a few that are only words. The full page illustrations are lovely, but I was entranced b ...more
Emily G
I remember some of these stories by Oscar Wilde from childhood, but some were new to me. One thing I didn't realise was that Oscar was obviously a religious man by the imagery used in a few of the tales.

All the stories are deeply bittersweet or tragic, and reinforce my distaste for human nature. That said they all have a message if looked for, and I think should all be read by everyone at least once in their life.
Kristen Pollard
Apr 28, 2014 Kristen Pollard rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed Wilde's writing style. The way he makes fun of the fairy tale as a genre was entertaining. However, I didn't care much for the religious overtone, and had some trouble making out if he was being serious or not.
Ashley
Jan 22, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witty and fun as one would expect from Wilde, but with the exception of two of the stories, possibly a bit more cynical than I would choose for bedtime reading for a six year old.
R.A.
Jul 30, 2014 R.A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melancholy and beautiful.
Chelsy
Oh my gosh! My quest for the long lost book is over! I was 8 when my mom first read this to us from the library; I'm 21 now, and ever since then I've been trying to find it. The only thing I could remember about it was a nightingale, a crying tree, and a rose in the street. Everyone I asked, like me, had no idea which book I was talking about.
At long last! It's recommended to me by Goodreads for becoming a fan P. J. Lynch. I will never forget this wonderful moment (^0^)
Nux
Jan 28, 2009 Nux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: indres, mas nanang, sherry, rina
"Stories with morals in them... though not the usual ones you'd try to convey to children. Well, perhaps the last one is conforming a bit more to the general moral message contained in such stories. I like them, though despite the last story I still think that it might not be for the very young as some of the concepts might be a bit difficult for them to chew. But it's a nice collection of smart stories with (less idealistic and more realistic) moral to the stories. ^_^"
Joel Julian
Worth reading for “The Nightingale and The Rose", “The Devoted Friend", “The Young King" and “The Happy Prince". These stories are written in a way simple enough for children to enjoy, but with enough depth to leave the more mature reader deep in thought. Although I would have preferred the religious symbolism to be a little more subtle, the fables are well written with both charm and wit, challenging you on numerous aspects of life.
Martyn
I thought I would love these stories, Oscar Wilde is up there with Shakespeare as my favorite playwright, but in the end all the death and covert christianity was just too much. My daughter said she loved it and to be fair gave me some great summaries that showed how much she took in but I'm not so sure that these stories would hold many children these days.
pri
May 24, 2009 pri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
it doesn't really get much better than stephen fry reading Wilde's 'children's stories'. they're all here. the happy prince, the nightingale and the rose, the selfish giant... and fry reads them perfectly. having heard him read the selfish giant in Wilde, I thought it was fantastic that there was also an entire collection. the audio didn't disappoint.
penelopewanders
Here as a ring. Highly moralistic indeed. Some classics, but the most fun was to find quotes from these stories as chapter headings in The Indiscretion by Judith Ivory which I was reading at the same time. I do prefer the vein of Wilde who wrote The Importance of Being Ernest, and even The Picture of Dorian Grey. Glad to have read these, though.
Kiddo
May 02, 2011 Kiddo rated it liked it
Shelves: for-later
This is not what I was expecting. For one thing I really don't know what age this is appropriate for. One review says ages 5 and up.

There is some moralizing, the Christ child even appears. There is some death, by suicide and over exertion for an unappreciative friend. There is also wry humor, but when do kids start to get that?
Jenn
May 15, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2009
I think it would take a pretty sophisticated kid to suss out all of Wilde's satire in these short fables, but they're kind of wonderful in their way—funny and sad, strange and a little magical, both in plot and in language. And Stephen Fry is a delight, of course—the best reason to listen.
Sally
Jul 20, 2009 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than a picture book - but the illustrations are beautiful! Purchased this book at the Trinity College bookstore after Michael Wilcox read two stories to us on our bus ride into Dublin.
Betsy
May 25, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another version of Wilde's stories--I think Lynch captures the tone of Wilde's stories quite well in the illustrations.
Kim
Nov 19, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed P.J. Lynch's illustrations, but the stories are a little heavy-handed for my taste.
Cristina
Nov 09, 2014 Cristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Lovely stories for any age that never become out-dated. One of my favourite authors!
Sinead Murray
Jan 21, 2013 Sinead Murray rated it it was amazing
Stories for children but adults can enjoy them too. Wonderful book.
Melissa
Feb 22, 2010 Melissa rated it liked it
Stephen Fry's reading of these classic stories is warm and witty.
Gabriela
Dec 02, 2012 Gabriela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oscar-wilde
So marvellous tales and so a marvellous voice.
Inspiring Rose
Jan 03, 2013 Inspiring Rose rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Children are so lucky!!!
Mar 14, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty depressing bunch of stories.
Evie Peppa
Evie Peppa rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
emma donnelly
emma donnelly rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Alextuby
Alextuby rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Arturo Pina
Arturo Pina marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
  • Letters to a Diminished Church: Passionate Arguments for the Relevance of Christian Doctrine
  • The Groovy Greeks And The Rotten Romans (Two Horrible Books In One)
  • The Heart of a Dog
  • Kiyomi
  • Jabberwocky
  • James Norwood Pratt's New Tea Lover's Treasury. The Classic True Story of Tea
  • Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story
  • Glasses: Who Needs 'Em?
  • Kamo: L'agence Babel
  • Anna Banana: 101 Jump Rope Rhymes
  • Shake Dem Halloween Bones
  • The Class Pet from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #11)
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...