Third Twin

Third Twin

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  11,916 ratings  ·  487 reviews
Through her research on twins and the genetic components of aggression, scientist Jeannie Ferrami makes a startling discovery. Using a restricted FBI database, she finds two young men who appear to be identical twins: Steve, a law student, and Dennis: a convicted murderer. Yet they were born on different days, to different mothers, in hospitals hundreds of miles apart.

As F...more
Published November 17th 2010 by Fawcett (first published December 12th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Third Twin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Third Twin

Filipa
Grande estreia!
***

O Terceiro Gémeo é o primeiro livro que leio do autor Ken Follet. Muitos de vós podem a este momento perguntar para dentro "como é que é possível?", mas a verdade é que as obras deste autor nunca exerceram um grande fascínio sobre mim. No entanto, esta sinopse fez-me tentar a minha sorte e foi com agrado que arrisquei.
Esta obra foi publicada pela primeira vez em 1996 e este facto fascinou-me durante toda a leitura. A primeira coisa que poderia dizer sobre este livro é que mes...more
Miriam
A new twist on the "secret twin/lookalike" plot -- multiple identical-looking and similarly behaving guys who are unrelated. Jeannie is a scientist researching causes of criminal behavior by comparing sets of twins raised separately. When one of her subjects is accused of raping her lab tech she realizes there must be another "twin" that she hasn't located. When she tries to find the guilty party she inadvertantly threatens to expose a conspiracy and endangers herself. The science aspect of this...more
Fernanda

soberbo, alucinante e de tirar o fôlego!

este foi o meu primeiro livro de Ken Follett e posso dizer que foi uma excelente estreia!
sem sombra de duvida consegue arrebatar desde o primeiro instante a atenção do leitor e cativa-lo a ler sempre a próxima pagina!

descritivo sem ser maçudo coloca-nos dentro da "cena" o que nos faz inspirar e suspender a respiração com alguma frequência.

a acção é rápida senão mesmo alucinante. tanta coisa a acontecer ao mesmo tempo....

super recomendado!!!
Jerry
We find Follett’s medieval stories to be great, and his wartime spy novels fairly good; and so looked forward to a modern-day storyline in “Twin”. It’s difficult to summarize the plot without spoiling it, although the book’s title helps us figure out what’s going on about 150 pages before the key players do! A researcher, Jeannie Ferrami, is doing clever studies on twins raised apart, where one is a criminal and the other a good guy – working on the old nature versus nurture argument. When her b...more
Teresa
Umas horas bem passadas. Tema interessante.
Heather
Maria
Aqui está um thriller brilhante. Foi o primeiro livro de Ken Follett que li. Já há algum tempo que acalentava a expectativa de saber como era a escrita deste famoso autor que tanta fama tem. Pensei começar pelos Pilares da Terra, mas não consegui ficar devidamente curiosa; depois pensei naqueles da guerra, A Queda dos Gigantes e o O Inverno do Mundo, no entanto, devido ao seu tamanho e preço (e alguma falta de curiosidade total) também não apostei.
Depois comecei a observar os seus thrillers. Co...more
Rita
I remember that this was the very first book I checked out from my high school library. The reason I remember is because of the sex scenes in the book. Let me explain.

Up until this point in time, I had been going to a Catholic school. My middle school didn't have a library; if we wanted books, we had to go to the public library. I was a frequent visitor at the public library; my favorite books were romance novels with lots of *ahem*.

Anyway, fast-forward to high school. I was so excited to final...more
Donna
A mild fan of Ken Follet. Read his mysteries many years ago and now reading both his new series. Was looking for something else and found this one. I have to admit I read it over New Year's so I finished it in two days. Liked the locations of Baltimore, DC and Philadelphia and really having an idea of where things were happening. The attempted rape in Jeannie Ferami's car was horrifyingly real as she listed areas she was driving through that were recognizable and brought it more to life. The vic...more
Daniel Gonçalves
I was in fact a litle aprehensive when I bought this book. I think it was because it was old and I was affraid it would be outdated. I was surprised I have to say. This book kept my interest throughout and it was enjoyable.

I really liked the Idea of having phsychology and biology all mixed together creating a very interesting thriller that will hook you from the start.

Of course this isn't the pinnacle of Follett, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE "THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH" but nonetheless it's worth your mo...more
Simona Bartolotta
Sarò franca: i thriller non mi piacciono. Ma questo sì che mi è piaciuto, e molto, anche se forse mi aspettavo che i caratteri scientifici avessero un ruolo più centrale,benché non siano affatto di sfondo.
Che dire, da leggere. In Ken Follet ho trovato un autore capace e un narratore eccellente, e letteralmente impossibile staccare gli occhi dalle pagine. E credetemi, ce ne vuole di talento per far leggere 511 pagine in meno di ventiquattro ore!
Abbie
I read this book several times in junior high and high school and never got tired of it. The scientific aspects are intriguing and convincing, and the story just zips right along. It almost inspired me to become a genetic researcher!
Daniel Gonçalves
Best thriller novel I've ever read. I'm always skeptic about thrillers. I feel that the style most thrillers writters write, Follett himself, is dry and not emotional. This one superated my expectations. Really good novel
Margarida
A minha estreia com Ken Follett e adorei!

Muito, muito bom! Corrupção... Conspiração... Engenharia genética... Policial e suspense q.b.

Para mim os ingredientes perfeitos, para uma boa leitura! ;)
Carolin
Steven Logan, ein attraktiver, großer, junger Mann reist aufgrund einer Einladung zu einem Forschungsprojekt an die JFU. Dort soll er als Versuchsperson einige Tests über sich ergehen lassen - doch dann endet alles in einem großen Durcheinander, die Professorin auf der Straße und Steven im Gefängnis. Er wird angeklagt, eine junge Frau brutal vergewaltigt zu haben, die er jedoch noch nie gesehen hat, die ihn jedoch wiederum bei der Gegenüberstellung identifiziert hat.

Mein erster Ken Follett und i...more
Roger Bailey
As a science fiction fan I occasionally read a science fiction novel written by a non science fiction writer. They usually are not very good. The author usually does not understand the genre and it shows. They usually try to downplay the fantastic elements or the scientific extrapolations as if they are embarrassed about it. The story often turns into a soap opera with the scientific extrapolations appended as if the author was forced to put them in against his will.
The Third Twin is an exceptio...more
Maria João Fernandes
Uma história com muito potencial, que junta os temas da genética, violência e criminalidade, revela-se uma desilusão quando o aborrecimento e a vulgaridade expõe a fraqueza comum a todas as personagens. Nenhuma delas é suficientemente desenvolvida, o que provoca um sentimento de alheamento, que rapidamente se torna cansativo. Incapaz de formular uma opinião sólida sobre as almas que povoam este livro, devido à ausência de aprofundamento, durante todo o tempo de leitura senti apatia, acabando fin...more
daniel
Thriller abbastanza prevedibile che si lascia leggere senza troppi intoppi. La trama scorre veloce e vorrebbe talvolta aprire temi delicati come quello della clonazione... fallisce miseramente nello scopo, le riflessioni sono superficiali e gia' sentite, non aggiungono nulla ne' alla conoscienza del lettore ne' alla personalita' del personaggio che le formula. Tuttavia riesce a farci divertire qua e la grazie a una sapiente esposizione dei fatti, non male anche lo spessore dei personaggi(nei lim...more
Cat
Doctor Jean (Jeannie) Ferrami is a scientist studying the causes of criminal behavior by comparing sets of twins raised separately, especially when one is a criminal and the other a law-abiding citizen. When her friend, the lab technician Lisa Hoxton is raped, a man called Steve Logan is accused of that crime. But Steve is a Law student and he happens to be one of Ferrami's study subjects. Meaning he has a twin brother who was raised by different parents. Ferrami knows Steve has indeed a twin, D...more
Nilima Pisharody
The Third Twin features
1. Dr. Jaennie Ferrami, a scientist out to uncover a 'BIG SECRET'. (Yeah, not so big, as it turns out)
2. To be Lawyer Steve Logan (Twin 1)
3. Criminal Dennis Parker (Twin 2)
4. Sick Wierdo Harvey Berrington (Twin 3) and so on.

A doctor in search of truth, a wrongly accused to be lawyer, and a sick wierdo who should have been captured in the first place, make the main elements of this novel. What happens next is something that you should read yourself to find out.

Even though t...more
Janyse
Jun 04, 2008 Janyse rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Janyse by: janysefrerichs@gmail.com
I find that Ken Follett typically writes a great story, full of intrigue and drama....BUT...(did you sense that coming???) he seems to feel the need to "dirty-up" his books. His women swear like sailors and talk dirty, and without fail, every one of his books contain scenes that can only be described as sex from a man's perspective. A woman would make the scene "romantic" and he just somehow seems to make it nasty. (I hate that word, but I can't think of something more descriptive.) Though I enj...more
Sukla Pal
The novel is awesome particularly if anybody is interested in the genetics and identical twin concepts. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have just completed my journey through a mysterious arena. It's written in a very modern style. There has been a lot to know from the characters of Dr. Jeannie Ferrami. The concept of cloning is really awesome. In a nutshell this novel contains drama, mystery, romance, research, science, perseverance, bravery and lots of other things. And I heartily thank to Ken Fol...more
Lynne
I was intrigued by the biological implications of the plot of this book. In true Ken Follett fashion, this was a "page-turner." I couldn't wait to get back to it. I was impressed that he managed to draw his characters fairly well, but never slowed the pace of the action. This would be a good choice to take along when you have quite a few hours to read. I've read books in hospital waiting rooms, and this is one you could get into and not be the least disturbed by all the comings and goings around...more
E Wilson

I've had about half a dozen Readers Digest condensed books on
my bookshelves for several years so I decided to give one a try and
The Third Twin was the first one I read. I'm not sure how they condense a book. Do they take out the adverbs and adjectives or cut
out whole paragraphs? It seemed a little choppy to me, but maybe
that was just the power of suggestion.

The story itself was interesting enough. Like so many
psychologists, Jeannie is studying identical twins who were brought
up apart. Steve is...more
Wan Ni
A biomedical thriller in the 90s revolving about seeming identity thefts and violence. As usual Follett is a master storyteller able to put me at the edge of my seat finishing this book in two seatings (sleep prevails), and yet not having to resort to wild goose chases and excessive killing the informant scenes. The science is fantastical at best, but the story nonetheless convincing. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as with the other books by Follett I have read.
Alex Fraser
Gostei bastante da temática (nurture vs nature em gémeos separados) e o thriller está bem conseguido.
Um pouco americanizado na parte da ação - homens poderosos a oprimir os justos - mas genericamente muito bom.

Um pouco datado nas referências tecnológicas como o modo de entrar na Internet (por modem) ou o uso de disquetes, mas perfeitamente actual no resto.

(Obrigado Catarina pela introdução ao Ken Follett ;))
Noelle
This was a fun and easy read. Nothing too intelletually challenging. The genre is a little old school and predictable. It was hard to suspend my disbelief knowing what we know know about genetics etc. And some of the dialouge was hard to swallow. The other problem I found with this book, is it was awfully long for a "fun" read. I don't generally want to spend that much time reading a book that is just OK.
Jeannie
"The Third Twin" is an intriguing, quick read that is full of genetics, mystery, and, well, twins. There's nothing ground-breaking or earth-shatteringly ingenius here, plot-wise, but it's a fast-paced, fun read. Think "beach read" for the nerdy, scientific thriller-type. (One item of note: whomever edited the Kindle Edition should be shot! There are a TON of gross errors throughout the text.)
Christine Uetz
I read this book many years ago and I still remember how good it was. I pride myself in being able to figure out major clues in mysteries and suspense novels, but this one took me totally by surprise. I've had to read all Follett's book after that and have yet to be disappointed.
Dan Darragh
Great adventure/crime book, although some of the scenarios are a bit beyond belief -- like an atttempted rape at 70 mph and the victim keeping the car on the on the road. If I've read Follett before, I don't remember it but I'll keep in mind.
The third twin 1 32 Dec 19, 2008 12:41PM
  • Ausgebrannt
  • Die dunkle Seite
  • O Anjo Branco
  • Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod: Ein Wegweiser durch den Irrgarten der deutschen Sprache (Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod, #1)
  • The Burning Man
  • Abgeschnitten
  • Day Of Confession
  • The Blue Nowhere
  • Storming Intrepid
  • Die letzte Spur
  • The Cassandra Compact (Covert-One, #2)
  • Messiah
  • The Takeover
  • Power of the Sword (Courtney #5)
  • The Last Pope (Vaticano, #1)
  • Niente di vero tranne gli occhi
  • Drink With The Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
Ken Follett burst onto the book world in 1978 with Eye of the Needle, a taut and original thriller with a memorable woman character in the central role. The book won the Edgar award and became an outstanding film.

He went on to write four more bestselling thrillers: Triple; The Key to Rebecca; The Man from St Petersburg; and Lie Down with Lions.

He also wrote On Wings of Eagles, the true story of ho...more
More about Ken Follett...
The Pillars of the Earth  (The Pillars of the Earth, #1) Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth, #2) Eye of the Needle Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2)